J&A Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Been talking to ginac007 from BT cause we were both doing the race. We decide to get a hotel room, drive down there and stay the night. We plan on meeting at my place at 2:00. Gina drove a tank (ummm... a Dodge Ram truck) Of course, since this was the only thing I really had to make sure I got done - I wasn't ready when she arrived exactly at 2:00.

5 minutes of craziness later I pack my 500 bags of critical stuff (well, ok only 6 but really - felt like I was planning an expedition) and got my bike, myself and everything out to her car. I used my USAT checklist that they include in your registration stuff. What a lifesaver. Helped me make sure I didn't forget anything (like my bike shoes...) and we head out towards Sunnyvale to pick up our race packets. The pickup was at Sports Basement, and I took the opportunity while I was there to stock up on gel for oh... the next 3 months. Then we head down to Morgan Hill, check in at the Quality Inn - take critical stuff inside and then go check out the venue. It was awesome to be there the day before. I never stay at the race site. I always drive to the race the morning of - so this was really fun. Nice to go with someone else too as usually I am on my own at these events. Gina explained the way the bike racks worked - cause I was clueless about them, they were the kind you just roll your back wheel into. Nice.

We end up saying hi to some of the event staff, and we ask for directions of the bike course cause we want to drive it. The event guy (and, I am SO bad - I can't remember his name, but I DO remember he lives in Couer D'Alaine Idaho) says come on over across the street cause we're having dinner - and I'll give you directions. So, we go on over, we meet Big Wave Dave who owns the place across the street and this other guy named Muddy Waters. (I am serious - those were their names.) He explains where we should go and then total score - feeds us dinner. So we ended up eating dinner with the event staff. AND we get to listen to Big Wave Dave's stories. Dinner was grilled chicken, salad, garlic bread, fruit, choc chip cookie for dessert. Mmmm...

Then to top it off - they are like - Hey, there's room in VIP parking, you can park there tomorrow. So we get the secret password and handshake and feel very with the In Crowd. How cool is that!

Drive the bike course (very rolling hills) wig out over Very Steep 1/2 mile long hill, and head back to the Quality Inn, stopping for some ice cream (me) and a smoothie (Gina) along the way. I mean, if you can't eat ice cream the day before a race, when can you? Get back, Gina takes an Excedrin PM and we start watching Cold Mountain which I've never seen cause it is one of those Artistic Movies which means it MUST have a sad ending. Gina ends up falling asleep, and I end up watching the movie cause of course I got sucked into it, and of course the ending was sad. Ugh. Went to bed after that, and I didn't have TOO hard of a time falling asleep which was nice.

We staggered out of bed around 5 am - and spent a nice relaxing hour organizing and making sure we had everything for the race. Got there about 6:15, got the VIP parking spot (on the top of a major hill) Got set up, stood in various lines for porta potties and body marking. Put gels in back pocket of top, and thought that One Of These Years I really SHOULD buy a wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Well... not much. Did some nervous jiggling but didn't get on my bike or go running or anything. Warm-up actually consisted of about 3 minutes of swimming just to get used to the water temp.

Had a little freak out moment before I got in the water of "What the HELL am I doing?" Then I got over it, and reminded myself to focus on fun and RACING!

(Times are from my watch I'll update with the chip times once they are posted.)
Swim
  • 29m 9s
  • 1320 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim normally goes around this point of land, but since the water levels are extremely low this year, they started and ended from the end of the boat dock. The water level was so low that the paved part of the boat dock ENDED way before you got to the water. They told us to bring shoes for the swim, since it was very rocky up to the paved part.

They sent off in waves, first wave started at 7:30. So, I get in the water about 7 or so minutes before my wave is supposed to go off, and then all of a sudden they're like - "The timing company says this is the last wave!" So it was crazy - cause they were counting down from 3 minutes and everyone who hadn't raced yet was all crowding into the water. Our wave was at least 2x as big as every other wave.

Cannon goes off and we all start swimming like mad. Lots of body contact in the first 100-150 yards - but then it eased up. And TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: Do NOT seed yourself in the front of the swim if you are going to swim 10 strokes and then stop and do breast stroke. Thank you.

You couldn't see the first buoy at all (about 400 yards out) cause of the glare from the sun, so I just followed along with the crowd. Then after that it was easy to sight the rest of the swim. I ended up swimming alone most of the swim. I'd look over and there would be lots of people and then I'd look for the buoy and yep, there it would be straight in front of me. So I just did my thing. Didn't really find anyone to draft though. I did draft this one guy for just a bit, but he was doing zigzaggy and I hate that so I let him go.
What would you do differently?:

Not really sure - I felt like I was swimming really well and strong but my time isn't as close to 2:00/100 as I thought it would be. So - swim faster? Get a wetsuit so I can go faster?
Transition 1
  • 04m 44s
Comments:

Oh My God. The swim ended, I swam nearly to the end, stood up ok, and then fell over. The swim out was a MUDDY bottom, with giant slippery holes and stuff from where everyone else had staggered their way out. I was passed by at least 5 people right here - since I couldn't seem to get OUT of the water. I kept losing my balance every time I'd step cause my feet would slide around on the bottom or into a hole. I'm only 4 feet from the edge of the water and feeling like I might have to beach myself like a whale. Didn't want to do that though, cause then I'd be covered in mud.

Finally make it - get my sandals and start running up the boat dock hill to transition. Uh, ok, I ran for about 3 steps and then I just walked fast. Of course, more people passed me, but I swam faster than they did, neener, neener.

Got to the top, got to my bike, goggles/cap off, glasses, helmet, shoes on and I'm off!

Be able to WALK out of the water!
Bike
  • 1h 11m 8s
  • 16 miles
  • 13.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Loop course, and it was a NICE ride. Rolling hills the whole way and a few sharp corners - so I'd rate this course fairly technical and hilly. It was a great ride though, and the course marking/volunteers/police presenced was stellar. They have guys with flags at all the corners and even BEFORE the corners, so you know what's coming up. I was maintaining at least 16 mph on the flats, but the uphills were killing me. Also, at about mile 11 there is a 1/2 mile climb that is REALLY tough and I ended up having to walk up after about 1/2 way - so adding in that bit of 2 mph avg didn't help either.

Of course, I got passed - a lot. BUT I did manage to pass a couple of people! I played leapfrog with this one girl for a while, she'd come by me on an uphill, and then we'd have a downhill with a corner, and I'd blow by her. Cause if there's one thing I can do well, it's going fast downhill. I hit 35 mph at one point on the course.

Kept dropping things though. Dropped a gel - went back and got it. THEN dropped my water bottle. Don't know HOW that happened. Swore and kept going. That made me mad. I don't know why I couldn't hang onto stuff.

Really, really nice ride. Beautiful country.

Not sure. I think I could have pushed a little harder, but then again, I felt pretty tired out by the end of the ride. I would have liked to be able to get a little higher avg speed, but I'm happy with it, given the course.

Don't drop the bottle of sports drink. I could have used that.

Going to get a BENTO box, fiddling with trying to get gels out of my top pocket was a major PITA. And - I had an extra gel that I couldn't find in there, so I didn't have that nutrition. Lame.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Off the bike, found rack easily, rack bike and then can't remember what I'm supposed to do next.

I bike w/out socks, but put them on for the run, and for some reason I was thinking I could run without them. Then of course, sanity returned so I put them on, and went.

Just do your PLAN - don't change things mid-race! Not thinking straight at that point anyway.

Notice that when you drop all used gel on your towel, that there is an UNOPENED packet and eat it. Duh.
Run
  • 1h 14m 25s
  • 5 miles
  • 14m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Get out of the transition area, start running and my legs start saying "What??!" This was my first REAL brick this year, but I just thought back that if my legs could suck it up for 10 minutes it would feel better - and it did.

Really nice run along the reservoir for 2.5 miles and then back. Aid stations at Mile 1 and 2 (and 3 and 4 on return) AND they had gels! Even for the BOPers! Really, really nice. (The gels saved me since I was light on calories at this point.)

I felt like I was pushing this run pretty well generally, but I think I did too much walking and I should have shuffled/jogged more. I was still getting passed and I didn't pass anyone, but I wasn't last either. Lots of people said good job and whatever. A couple of them asked if it was my first tri - uh, no - just can't seem to get skinny... Lots of people usually encourage me on the run, I think it's because I'm just not the "ideal" body shape for triathlon. (Yet.)

Saw Gina on the way out, she was just finishing up and looked great!

I carried water on the run, and had a hammer gel at Mile 1 and 3. That was perfect nutrition.

Run HARDER. I think I kinda wimped out towards the last 1/2 of this run and I coulda gone faster.

HOWEVER, I am VERY happy with my avg pace - under 15 mm baby!
Post race
Warm down:

Finished - they announced my name and I got a medal - it's really cool.

Caught my breath - said hi to Gina - she was eating, let everything settle a bit, then went and had a great meal. BBQ chicken, bagels, salad, fruit, water. Mmmm... so good.

JA Productions puts on a stellar event. I mean, well staffed, well organized, GREAT food afterwards AND they take care of the last people as well as the first.

Then we gather up our stuff - struggle (well, at least I did) up the monster VIP parking hill and go back to the hotel to shower before driving home. That was really nice too - being able to wash off afterwards. Then Gina drove home, while I slept. Well, I'd wake up and try to stay awake and keep her company, but it was more like one or two sentences and then I'd be back in dreamland. It's interesting how the race experience affects different people. She was all calm the night before (where I am usually a basket case - she told me she knows now why I have the avatar I do - yep, that's why) and then afterwards, I usually just want to take a really long nap - while she was all energetic.

So, got home, trekked everything back upstairs, and then took a 3 hour nap. Felt SO GOOD!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, really - weight is my biggest limiter. Working on it. Getting just a tiny bit faster though - yeah!

Event comments:

JA Productions puts on a GREAT event. I'm putting this one on my to-do list for next year.

Last updated: 2007-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:09 | 1320 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: top and shorts
Course: Triangular from bottom of boat dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:08 | 16 miles | 13.50 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course, rolling hills, NICE ride.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:14:25 | 05 miles | 14m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the UVAS reservoir road. Rolling hills. Nothing major.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 11:03 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: UVAS South Bay Triathlon

2007-05-21 12:06 AM
in reply to: #809096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Subject: RE: UVAS South Bay Triathlon
It was so fun to go on this adventure with you and race together!  A great weekend for sure.  But I have to say, I was expecting a more detailed pre-race routine, you know, with the dead empty downtown Morgan Hill,or giving me CO2 cartridge instructions!  Slacking. snerk! Your a great triathlete and fun travel buddy.
2007-05-21 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race and great RR  Shellee!  Awesome run!!
2007-05-21 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Awesome job! I loved reading your race report, it felt like I was there with you

Be proud of yourself you did really good!!

2007-05-21 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on a great race!

Swim sounds brutal for getting out...after all those other folks made holes in the bottom.

Hills on the bike are always challenging but down hills make up for it.....descending is so fun! 

You had fun and were faster...all cool stuff!

Your race report is very entertaining and you seem to be in the right place at the right time to get some nice perks! 

2007-05-21 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Washington, MD
Sounds like you had a fun time.  Congratulations on the hardware too!!!

2007-05-21 10:22 AM

User image

GREAT RACE! Love reading your RR's, really was excited for ya, and look at your RUN! Way to go woman!

Impressive, all around.
2007-05-21 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

You continue to rock!

2007-05-21 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Great Race Report!! Kudo's on schmoozing with the race officials the night before!!
2007-05-21 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Great job on the race!!  Nicely done, especially for the first tri of the season!
2007-05-21 3:45 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Way to go! I really like the RR details, too.

2007-05-21 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

CONGRATS!!

Sounds like an interesting race, with an interesting course (i.e., not flat).   Were you able to walk the swim?  I've seen pictures somewhere of a California race with people walking along..    

You've had a good couple of months (at least!) here lately and I expect to see more. 

2007-05-21 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Hey Shellee,

Nice work on your first Tri of the year!!  I loved the report, and sounds like you had a great time!!!

Dennis

2007-05-22 1:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Awesome job for your first race of the year!!   All your hard work is really paying off. 
2007-05-22 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Great job...that was a long race...like a short olympic or really long sprint...CONGRATS!!
2007-05-23 12:18 AM

Champion

Yeah Shellee...awsome race and hardware too!  Doesn't get any better than that, you are really on a roll now!  Keep up the good work and don't forget to have fun.  Heh!  I guess I don't have to remind you about that! 

2007-05-24 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

35 MPH on a downhill?  I would have had heart failure.

Great race!  You didn't forget your hat once!  Now I can say I know one of the cool kids!  Glad you had a good time! 

2007-05-24 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Congrats on a great race! Awesome race report!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UVAS South Bay Triathlon Rss Feed