Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-05-29 11:28 PM
in reply to: #821334

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: RE: Seriously?
At this point in my life I "strongly dislike" running, but the reason I got myself in to all of this was to hopefully teach myself to like it.  Ironically, I would've never even considered a tri if BT hadn't come up when I googled "couch to 5k".  I just wanted to run a 5k!  Now though, it seems totally natural for me because I love swimming and biking, which makes it easier for me to start to incorporate the running as a necessary evil rather than the main focus.  I was actually just starting to sort of like running when my shins flipped out on me....so now I like running even less because I can't seem to do it without pain.  Hopefully once I get my orthotics I can find a way to enjoy running.  I keep doing it because it's challenging, and it's something I want to accomplish.  I'm always jealous of the runners who can get a workout in anywhere....no equipment needed just a good pair of shoes.  Also I think the longer runs look pretty cool....so i'm being stubborn and putting up with not liking it so i can learn to like it and hopefully get good at it (or at least less sucky at it....

2007-05-30 12:03 AM
in reply to: #821487

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

jszat - 2007-05-29 8:14 PM If I didnt have the goal to do an Ironman and start the journey to get there, I likely would have never bothered to learn how to functionally swim. I have had many phases with swimming and rarely ever am giddy about a swim. It is coming around but I wouldnt say I am close to liking it as much as the other two. Perhaps some day and I will keep plugging away and trying to improve. So why do it? Why not? Just because something takes some work to get accustomed to, its a step at self improvement, learning a skill. I can definitely tell you I enjoy it more now than two years ago

took the words right out of my mouth (or off my fingertips as the case maybe)

Strange thing is, I can see myself swimming for exercise and enjoying it when I am 80, running and cycling, probably not. 

2007-05-30 12:17 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I'm not wild about swimming, although I have days when I enjoy it most of the time I'm counting minutes until I can get out of the pool. I enjoy OW swimming much more.   OTOH, I love biking and running-I think I love biking a little more than running because I am better at it and it doesn't hurt my knees.

Thing is, I LOVE triathlon. There is something about putting all three sports together that is greater than the sum of it's parts. 

2007-05-30 12:28 AM
in reply to: #821338

User image

Master
State of Confusion
ChrisM - 2007-05-29 6:34 PM

But I think that triathletes, as a whole, are driven people, and they strive to overcome the difficulties to a point where they might even find that they enjoy the discipline.]

Bingo...that's it right there! And besides...we're all masochists.Wink

2007-05-30 12:36 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

I dislike running, but  I enjoy triathlons

I dislike digging a holes in the dirt, but I enjoy planting a tree.

2007-05-30 1:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
I don't like any of the three enough for me to do them as a standalone endeavour, though my race schedule includes ocean swims, century rides / cyclo sportives and running races...

I love:-
- The outcome of the training in terms of personal improvement.
- The completely shattered but very satisfied feeling at the end of a race... the enjoyment of that first cold drink and shower with the hose is directly proportional to how salty and how sticky I am from spilt sports drink and gel - I just don't seem the get the same feeling after a standalone event.
- I find triathletes and triathlon clubs much more welcoming of the mediocre performer. I get a huge training boost from training with other people and don't think I could bring myself to train with the monty burns lookalikes at a run club or the beer bellied swimming rockstars at a swim club.

2007-05-30 4:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

OK guys the quote was fom me and inh one of my later posts I also explained why I do not like biking too much right now (cold, wind and stuff)! But it seems the original poster did not really see that. I enjoy biking in the group and I enjoy it during a race but on my recent bike TT I discovered I do not like it as a stand-alone sport.

I am also sure glad that there are more people out there that are not in love with all 3 disciplines and still do triahlons 

2007-05-30 5:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I echo what a lot of others have said about their sport that they like the least.  For me it's swimming.  So why do I do it?  My theory is that I don't like it because it is hard for me.  Not only hard to perform, but also I am very limited by having only one pool in my county that is 15 miles away and has crappy hours.  I actually like OWS MUCH more, but because of being up north, I am limited by being able to swim outside only a small fraction of the year.  But I am stubborn.  I have this thought in my head that if I learn to swim better that I will learn to like it.  Time will tell.  Winter time is my swim focus time (when I can't bike outside).  Right now I love biking too much so swimming will take a back seat for awhile.  Like someone else said, I think swimming is a good skill to have because it will be a great exercise when I'm 80.

I also echo what has been said about putting it all together.  There is something about the actual race that is electrifying.  Swim, bike, run.  It's a totally awesome experience.  There may be a time when I give up on swimming, but I'm not there yet.  So for the moment I love biking and running and I don't like swimming.  I'm hoping to change that.

2007-05-30 6:44 AM
in reply to: #821664

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Joblin - 2007-05-30 4:33 AM

I am also sure glad that there are more people out there that are not in love with all 3 disciplines and still do triahlons 

I didn't see the original quote so I don't if the OP in this thread was accurate, but this comment seems WAY different than the comment that started this thread. 

"every triathlete usually has one discipline that they don´t like too much."

If you had used that the first time it probably would not have even sparked this thread.  Generally, people don't like to be included in generalizations.  Generally.

2007-05-30 6:59 AM
in reply to: #821379

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

sebjamesm - 2007-05-29 6:30 PM Yeah, that strikes me as odd too, and is why I said something to that poster. I have no idea why you would want to do something you don't like for a hobby. Unless you just like bragging about how you're a triathlete. More and more it seems like triathlon and marathon are just another thing to cross off someone's to do list. It's like they don't care if they crawl through the whole thing, as long as they finish, they get the feather in their cap.

But I always see on this site that if you finish your a triathlete.  Most people I know did one to "Get that feather", but then become hooked.  I did my first one for fun, figuring I'd be back just riding metric centuries in the long run.  I didn't know I'd love to race.  There are lots of things I'd like to do once and then move on to just cross it off my list.  If I ever do an Ironman or marathon, it is to cross it off the list, not to make a hobby out of it.

2007-05-30 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I love swimming and running, but seriously don't like the bike. The training hurts, is hard for me, and I am afraid of getting hit by a car.

Sometimes people enjoy doing things that get them nervous or that they are uncomfortable with - conquering your fears, and all that, you know? I don't think it is that unusual.

2007-05-30 7:11 AM
in reply to: #821379

User image

Extreme Veteran
It doesn't seem quite fair to doubt someone's motivation for doing triathlon because you don't understand it. There might be lots of personal reasons to do this, even if one part is not loved; I wouldn't just assume the person is doing it because they want to be a bigshot.
2007-05-30 7:20 AM

User image

Toronto, Canada
I too don't love any of the three disciplines. I like aspects of all three and them in combo attracts me to tri.

I still hate the neighborhood pool as lane swimming is a pain in the butt due to its popularity ... sigh...

ArrOOoo!

Edited by reddogfive 2007-05-30 7:21 AM
2007-05-30 7:49 AM
in reply to: #821664

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Joblin - 2007-05-30 2:33 AM

OK guys the quote was fom me and inh one of my later posts I also explained why I do not like biking too much right now (cold, wind and stuff)! But it seems the original poster did not really see that.

Considering that you're from Iceland, that seems reasonable.
2007-05-30 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Ok while I was flying this morning I thought about it again.

First of all this was my orginal quote:

Joblin - 2007-05-29 4:41 PM

every triathlete usually has one discipline that they don´t like too much (isn´t it?) and for me it is biking. That does not mean I don´t do it and don't train it. Biking can also be quite fun if its not gusting 50mph on every second ride and if you don´t have to wear more than 2 layers of clothes and don´t freeze your toes every time you go out.

Please bear with me as english is not my mother language and I don´t speak or write it as well as all of you do !!

so maybe it was misunderstood a little as I rather meant "most triathlete have one discipline that they don´t enjoy as much as others" which according to many of you here is true.

What I don´t really like is the fact that someone questions my intentions for doing TRI´s! I love triathlons and I love training for them and I mostly due them to help me with my weight-loss.  Do I enjoy every single workout and every single discipline equally: NO I DON´T but that is due to many factors !!

Edited by Joblin 2007-05-30 8:09 AM
2007-05-30 8:47 AM
in reply to: #821537

Extreme Veteran
amiine - 2007-05-29 11:00 PM

what's so hard to believe? sometimes we do things cuz they are challenging even though at first we don't really enjoy it. When I began Tri-ing I hated swimming, but it was so tough and challenging it appeal to me to try over and over, now I like it. Running more than 20 minutes was so booooring I had a hard time heading out of the door, now I love it. as the training season progresses I go through up and downs will all 3 sports.

So believe it or not, it does happen. We all have different reasons and goals for tri-ing and as long as we are doing it, that's all that should matter no?

Here here, GREAT response.

2007-05-30 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarnia
I enjoy all three.  I'm not really good at any of them (yet), but I am really happy about trying.  I especially like how multi-sport really breaks up the monotony of training.  Seriously,  I love how I really have to think about when my last swim was, even though it may have only been a day or two before.
2007-05-30 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

I can honestly say that I hate swimming, but I love triathlon. 

I hate swimming because it is my limiter in this sport.  I hate swimming because it is more technical than physical.  I hate swimming because I have 'freak out episodes' in races.  I hate swimming because I find it boring.  And most importantly, I hate swimming because the fear of not completing the IM swim at CdA is one of my single biggest fears at this point in my life.

I love triathlon because I love competition.  I love triathlon because the thought of becoming an IronMan at CdA is overwhelming.  I love triathlon because completing the IronMan swim is a huge challenge for me.  I love triathlon because the swim and the bike lead to my favorite sport - running.  I love triathlon because I love the feeling of anticipation, nervousness, and anxiety on race morning.  I love triathlon because I love the triathlon community.  I love triathlon because 3+ years ago I was 70 pounds heavier and couldn't move for more than 15 minutes at a time.  And finally, I love triathlon because anyone can do it if they want to. 

Triathlon is such a great sport, even if I don't enjoy swimming too much.  Duathlons just don't provide the same internal challenges that I need.  Pushing myself to do something that is a challenge to me is partially what this is all. 

I hope this answers your question as to why this particular triathlete does all 3 sports. 

2007-05-30 9:29 AM
in reply to: #821897

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
captantony - 2007-05-30 9:14 AM

...I hate swimming because it is my limiter in this sport...I hate swimming because I have 'freak out episodes' in races...And most importantly, I hate swimming because the fear of not completing the IM swim at CdA is one of my single biggest fears at this point in my life.

I love triathlon because I love competition.  I love triathlon because the thought of becoming an IronMan at CdA is overwhelming.  I love triathlon because completing the IronMan swim is a huge challenge for me...I love triathlon because I love the triathlon community...And finally, I love triathlon because anyone can do it if they want to. 

...Pushing myself to do something that is a challenge to me is partially what this is all. 

I hope this answers your question as to why this particular triathlete does all 3 sports. 

Wow!  Ditto those thoughts.  I don't necessarily HATE swimming.  I enjoy it, but am FRUSTRATED with it.  I can average sub 2s on a 1000 yds in the POOL, but get me out in open water, and sometimes I have 'freak-out' issues.  Must be the fact that I didn't learn to swim until college.  Swimming to me isn't boring.  I like the challenge, and there's usually other triathletes there training alongside of me.  And yes, like captantony, I want to someday complete an IM.  It's probably quite a ways out...let's say like 8 yrs or so ...but I stress about not being able to complete the distance.

The main reason I love triathlons.  Triathletes are made from a different mold.  The tri community is one of the most friendly and supportive groups that I've ever met (at least here at BT).  My wife agrees (she'll be doing her 1st tri this year).  She could never understand that I had 'cyber-buddies.'  She thought it was a little creepy.  Her opinion's different after having met many in the MN BT group.  She mentioned Monday that's she's glad to live in a place with so many active, friendly, upbeat people (talking mostly about the MN BTers)...

Edited by sparco 2007-05-30 9:31 AM
2007-05-30 9:38 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Usually the "hate" word is used for the activity that is the hardest for that person.  It should really be called one's "limiter" and not something they hate.  I think if they truly hated it, then why do it?  So I'm surmising that the word is being used out of context.

I am not a good swimmer, I know that.  But I also know that by working on it I can get marginally better and be more comfortable and faster.  So while I do not necessarily look forward to the swim in a race, I know that it is the one place where my race can be made or ruined and I concentrate on getting through it smoothly and efficiently.  Then I can take advantage of my strengths.

I love cycling but can't get out enough to really get the speed and endurance I used to have at it from road racing for years, and running ain't so bad either (I just happen to be lucky enough to be pretty good at it as well).

Most of all I love competing and racing to my limits.  And I like to place ....... as much as possible ....

2007-05-30 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario

I love biking.  I like running.  Swimming I could do without at times - I like the swimming part but I sometimes hate having to go to a pool and get in the water - especially when it is cold out.  I do it, however, because otherwise I would not be getting any upper body workouts all summer.  Also, I agree with others that there is something about triathlon that is fun and appealing to me.  The thought of doing a du just doesn't appeal to me as much.

2007-05-30 9:49 AM
in reply to: #821962

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Daremo - 2007-05-30 10:38 AM

Usually the "hate" word is used for the activity that is the hardest for that person.  It should really be called one's "limiter" and not something they hate.  I think if they truly hated it, then why do it?  So I'm surmising that the word is being used out of context.

If this is aimed at my response - I meant to use the word 'hate' and it wasn't taken out of context.  I know it's a strong word, but I have strong feelings for swimming.  I've almost quit the sport on numerous occasions because of my feelings towards swimming.  BUT, I think I answered the question as to why I still do it anyway - it's a challenge.  

2007-05-30 10:00 AM
in reply to: #821996

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.  I just skimmed the thread quickly and added my own thoughts to the mix.
2007-05-30 10:13 AM

It goes like this:

I HATE running. Hate it. Hate it. HATE IT. I mean, I really hate it.

But I like a challenge.

I like the challenge of it more than I hate it.
2007-05-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: #821641

Master
I dislike running, but only because I am not good at it yet. As I've been practicing I find I like it more and more. The swim is the same, the less I feel like drowning, the better I like it. The Bike? I love disappearing for hours on the country roads around here.

Some things take some time to love I figure.

~fatBoy
http://trifatboy.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seriously? Rss Feed  

of 3