General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Nationals Hagg Lake Tri - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Nationals Hagg Lake Tri - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
USAT
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 38s
Overall Rank = 426/2000
Age Group = f30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/67
Pre-race routine:

Didn't do much the day before the race... I usually do a S-B-R short brick, but I just rode most of the course and it was cold and rainy, so I skipped the rest, then napped. Got our packets, saw Mark and Michelle along with a ton of others I knew. Then I checked my bike in and thoroughly wrapped it in trash bags so it wouldn't be soaked in the morning. Ate an early dinner, met LOTS of COOL people and then went to bed! In the AM, basically set up TA then did a dry run of my transitions. Ate a PBJ bagel and a banana
Event warmup:

Short jog with some stretching. Plus a longer swim WU since I didn't swim at all the day before.
Swim
  • 23m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I had a decent swim as I started, I got a good draft for most of the way. Then I lost it, but kept seeing gals just to my right and left. I didn't have to navigate much, just swam with my head down until I could FINALLY actually see the bouy to turn at. Turned and navigated for myself the rest of the way. I realized on the 2nd turn that the main lead group of gals was a good ways in front of me. I caught some feet for a little bit, but then passed her and just swam hard for the shore. I was pleased that I came out of the water with Kiley Ramsey, but after seeing my split, this wasn't a great swim. I needed to be about a 2 minutes faster to be with the lead group... There was really only myself, Kiley and one other girl in the gap between them and the main group... The girl that I was seconds behind at WF and Alcatraz stayed with them and it made the difference for her.
What would you do differently?:

I NEED to be able to hang onto those feet better. More practice...
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I'm a total DORK!!! So I seriously did a dry run of transition, but for some reason I put my helmet on backwards and had to stop just before the Trans mat and take it off and turn it around when I realized the problem... I honestly think that someone knocked my helmet off and re-placed it on my aero bars - albeit backwards... Whatever, but it put me out of transition a few seconds AFTER Kiley. (And she had a bad transition too as I had to yell at her after she ran past her trans spot). Also, I could have been quicker with the shoes...

2 things - double check the helmet although I DID and then flying mount. At that point I was so flustered and it was an uphill mount area (ask Jocelyn Patrella...) so I just did the old fashioned stop - mount - ride.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 16s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.63 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a solid bike on a difficult course - BUT I know I can do better. I top of my AG was at 1:05, but most of the top 10 were around 1:09 - I'm ALMOST there. My power was down considerably from Alcatraz and WF although higher than at the 5430. My HR was up at an AVG 186, which is good, but both the HR and power were lower on the 2nd half, which tells me that I was complacent on that second loop - I needed to push that loop harder.

Push harder, watch my watts and PUSH them to where I need them to be. I didn't lose much here, but I certainly didn't gain much either.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Got a little stuck getting my running flats on, but otherwise a smooth transition. Only 5 glas were under 1' on this transition, so I can't complain much.

I think I am going to wear my race # belt in the swim from now on - tucked into my shorts (like I saw Leanda Cave do at Alcatraz) and then I don't have to worry about putting it on. Otherwise just RUN faster :)
Run
  • 46m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This run hurt - especially when I was getting passed so much... I only passed one gal. There were a lot of people saying how this was a really hard run, but in reality it was easier than Alcatraz and Wildflower - but not for me. I think it was part mental breakdown and part physical exhaustion. I did kick at the end but it was not enough to catch the 2 girls that had already passed me. Do you see this as a recurring theme??? Julia can't hang on to the run and gets passed in the last miles... I NEED to figure this out before Worlds if I get there...

Not race 3 times at big races in the weeks/ months before this race!!!! Be tougher mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged for a bit with Jocelyn.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overtraining (actually over-racing??) and mental preparation. I did the best I could on THAT day, but I knew going in that it probably wasn't going to be the day I wanted. It was enough to keep me hopefull for a roll down - time will tell!!!

Event comments:

2 complaints - Have food with PROTIEN after the race!! and post the results right away - that was just BS!!! OTherwise a great race!!

Last updated: 2007-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/67
Overall: 0/2000
Performance: Average
Suit: Super Full
Course: Left hand rectangle. Out INTO the glaring sun and then 2 left hand turns and straight back in.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:12:16 | 24.85 miles | 20.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/67
Performance: Good
Laps were ALMOST the same in terms of time and power.
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops around the lake. A few small hills and some rollers along with one false flat area that was SLIGHTLY windy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:46 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/67
Performance: Average
Avg HR 187 Max 198.
Course: LONG and hilly. My Garmin got this course at 6.4 miles, so I'm not surprised to see the time a little slow.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-02 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: USAT Nationals Hagg Lake Tri - Olympic Distance

2007-07-02 7:37 PM
in reply to: #869633

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: USAT Nationals Hagg Lake Tri - Olympic Distance

Nice race...you are so fast....congrats!

Sounds like you learned a lot at this race and have some ideas for improvement.

Fast splits all around..... 

2007-07-03 6:38 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Wow, did Chris get a picture of you coming out of T1 with your helmet on backwards?  I would pay to see that.   Congrats on another strong race, but we all expect that from you. 

Have a good recovery week, maybe a few massages are on tap?

2007-07-03 7:34 AM
in reply to: #870050

User image

Master
Colorado
sbreaux - 2007-07-03 5:38 AM

Wow, did Chris get a picture of you coming out of T1 with your helmet on backwards?  I would pay to see that.   Congrats on another strong race, but we all expect that from you. 

Have a good recovery week, maybe a few massages are on tap?

YES!!  Chris DID get a picture of me changing it!!  I'll post pics a little later tonight or tomorrow

Edited by juliapurr 2007-07-03 7:34 AM
2007-07-03 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Denver
I can't wait to see that picture too! It would be even funnier if you had an aero helmet. Great job on the race. It seems like you have something going on just about every weekend and it still amazes me you can be so competative week in and week out. Enjoy your time off!
2007-07-03 9:58 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

LOL, backwards helmet.  Just hope it doesn't get passed around the internet like that poor other guy.

Quite a race!  Dang girl, 2 yrs in tri's (or is it 3?), and you are at nationals.  Quite an achievement!

2007-07-03 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Great race!  Not so sure about your assessment of the swim since that was a damn fast swim and a really solid pace, but hey, if you NEED to get faster then what can I say . . .  Glad you had fun, hope you get your roll down spot.

2007-07-03 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race, especially considering all the events you dealt with leading up to it. Very easy to lack some focus despite this being an A race, but you still performed well. If I remember the results correctly, it looked like you were hanging with Kylie on everything right up until the run and then just fell off a little bit. But if that's more of a mental lapse than anything, you'll get it figured out faster. Now when do you find out about Worlds?!!
2007-07-03 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Nicely done

I know it is tough to race with accumulated fatigue (Mental and Physical) but I guess that is what Nationals are all about.

Seems like you paced pretty well but I know you are looking for a stronger kick at the end. You will get your pacing all dialed in and really crush the field.

Good On Ya

2007-07-03 12:02 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT

Awesome job at Nationals!  Overall a really strong performance.  Except that helmet thing!

2007-07-03 1:13 PM

User image

Expert

Yeah, I can't see too much room for being disappointed with that race.  Like you said, you've been hitting the races pretty hard and you still did very well!!

BTW-The picture of you w/ your helmet on backwards should be your new avatar

2007-07-03 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Way to rock the course, Purr. You haven't come close to putting it all together yet. Your bike is still improving and your not exactly an experienced runner YET... You've got some extremely fast/er races ahead of you... You did great. Roll down or not...
2007-07-03 9:22 PM

User image

Atlanta, GA
Congrats on an great race! You did awesome. The course was tough, but man was it a fun experience. Gotta love those unexpected and unwanted things that can happen in race...like a chain falling off or putting on your helmet backwards.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Nationals Hagg Lake Tri - Olympic Distance Rss Feed