Set-up Inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 15s
Overall Rank = 83/299
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/47
Pre-race routine:

Chicken Parm the night before. In bed and got some GOOD sleep. The usual in the morning...use bathroom, shower, use bathroom, choke down a cliff bar, use bathroom. LOL.
Event warmup:

Light jog with wifey. Saw TONS of friends. The coolest thing about being in this sport for a couple of years is seeing the faces over and over again (although the same ones keep passing me which kind of sucks heh). Hit the water for nice warmup with some drills.

You guys see the movie "Cars"? Remember before his races, he'd sit in his trailer going "speed", "I'm speed". I don't know why, but that was me pre-race. It felt goooood.
Swim
  • 13m 18s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

My wave started first as there is no elite division at these races. I wanted to be 1st out of the water. I'll have to settle for 5th. There's some bad ass mofo's out there...though the fastest guy in the wave had me by 45 secs. I went out hard as hell at the start and felt good the first 200. There was a lot of pushing and kicking in there. I caught a heel in the chin that clacked my teeth together and someone got a little fresh with my ass. *grin* (don't tell wifey).

Went hard most of the way...felt a little crappy around 400y but that went away after awhile. Finished strong and sprinted up the ramp.

What would you do differently?:

This swim was not my personal best for this course, so I'm a little disappointed. There are a couple of reasons I think that I'm disappointed in my swim time.

For the past 2 months, all I've done is base building. The body is dialed into long efforts not necessarily at high effort levels. I don't think I was able to cope with the high heart rate levels.

I'm not too sure about wearing tri-tops over my chest. I swear that the little pocket in the back acts like a little drag chute. Its probably all in my head, but I think it cost me a little bit of time.

When I shave down the legs I truly believe that I'm faster. Don't know if its physical or mental, but every race that I've done shaved down, I've felt like I've had better performance than not. I didn't do it for this race.

Its a great time, but for my previous 2 races here, my personal best is a mid 12 swim. I was hoping to better that one.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Awesome transition. 34/299 overall and 5/47 ranked. I don't normally have good T1's. This one was fantastic for me. The HR was maxed all the way through transition.

Tie up the shoes.
Bike
  • 45m
  • 15 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

One of the tough things about being a good swimmer but an average biker and runner is having to deal with the passing. Lost a bunch of spots here. I just can't seem to get up to the level that some of these other guys are at and I can't figure out what the trick is.

The first 3-4 miles the HR and breathing was totally maxed. I was gasping for breath for most of the first 15 mins of the ride. Once I settled in, I started feeling a little better and picked up the pace for the 2nd half of the ride.

Nothing funny or exciting on this one. I was disappointed in this leg though it was a typical performance for me. I think again, my performance was related to the type of training I have been doing over the last 2 month.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Awesome T2. 16/299 overall and 4/47 ranked. Had a difficult time right after dismount in that there was this speed bump that cause my bike to launch up in the air and my shoes were getting destroyed dragging along the pavement. But, it was hella fast. Best T2 I think I've ever had.

Went sockless for the run. I wasn't sure if the feet would pay for it later or not....

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This run still kicks my ass. I lost about 3 seconds at the first water station because I couldn't get my breath and my heart was about to blow down through my stomach. I didn't think that I'd be sub 8 min miles, so I'm a little happier than I thought I would be.

4 blisters. I think I knew it was going to happen but didn't want to give up the time in t-1 or t-2 to get em on. Oh well.

Train for the race next year...instead of IMFL. heh heh. I just wasn't in the right kind of shape for this race. I think I figured coming into it that my base would make up for my lack of speed work...but that's not quite true. I felt like I could run a heck of a lot more, but just not at 7 min mile pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Amazingly enough, I felt pretty good post race after I brought the heart rate down. Not too sore after - worst was a little tenderness in the calves. Headed to T-area to see if Denise was back from her bike yet. I was happily surprised to see that she was out on the run course. I switched to some sandals and walked out to the turnaround on the run course to wait for Denise.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm base training for IMFL. I think the lack of speed work and intervals played a pretty big part of my slower speeds than what I felt I am capable of.

Event comments:

Best part of this race by far was seeing all the BT friends and local athletes that I train with. I met Ernie-ern for the first time and he looked great out there too! Grats Ernie!!!! All you BT folks rock!

Wifey kicked some ass out there. I'm soooooooooooo very proud of her. Solid swim, great bike for her (we're still working on the run aren't we sweetie?)

The only thing missing was the wild wonder twin..err...G8RSAX. *smile*

Next stop....Florida!!!!

Last updated: 2007-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:18 | 820 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/47
Overall: 34/299
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri top with tri shorts
Course: Funky shaped 3 turn type of course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:00 | 15 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/47
Overall: 135/299
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Hourglass shaped course. 3 big climbs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:32 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/47
Overall: 130/299
Performance: Average
Course: Suck ass trail hilly blow up your heart kind of fun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-29 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Buckner Mission Man Triathlon

2007-07-29 7:44 PM
in reply to: #905857

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: RE: Buckner Mission Man Triathlon

you may be disappointed, but don't be.  That's a good race and you would have beat the bejesus out of me if I had been there. (With that swim speed, I would never catch you)  I, like you, wish I could be faster on the bike out of the water. 

Bottom line, it is a good race, but the prize is IMFL.  Keep the eye on the prize !!!

2007-07-29 10:03 PM

, Alabama
Jeff, you were totally awesome!  It's great when they rank the transitions.  That's actually my best leg of the tri too!  Hope to see you at IMFL!
2007-07-30 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

Great RR! Sounds like you had a great overall experience and a feel up to boot! hehehe (i had to give that a mention! how funny/flattering?   )  Props to the BT and Multisport community for the community! always nice to get a read on the social side in addition to the actual race specs. Seems you prepared well and had a fabulous result. congrats! You were cookin on that run too !

2007-07-30 11:31 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
that was pretty freaking fast Jeff.......hope you had fun...get a tri top with a ZIPPERED pocket!!
2007-07-30 12:31 PM

User image

Apex, NC
Great work Jeff. Good luck on IMFL.

I was about 12 seconds ahead of you on the swim and then you got ahead of me in t1. That's an amazing transition time. I think the swim was a little long, as I was shooting for 12 to 12:30 as well.

It was a fun race, and a great experience to be in the first wave to go. I'm not used to there being a crowd cheering when coming out of the water.

Doing any more tune-ups before IMFL?

2007-07-30 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Holy smokes those were some quick T times!!  I wanna see those at IMFL too, ok??!!

Congrats on a kickass race Jeff.  You are seriously gonna destroy IMFL and I WILL be there to see that!! I can't wait!!

2007-07-30 9:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
You know, my race report will be a carbon copy of yours but slower! I just did not have it Sat. However, as you said, it is just soo good to see everybody! Good to see you and Denise especially. You're still my hero!
2007-07-30 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

good race..

yeah I find I am much faster when I do the full shave down...being italian has a disadvantage in that area !!

2007-08-02 6:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

I'd give your race report an A.  You are not in the right spot to have a race you own. Don't worry, after IM, Pixar will approach you to be their new SPEED spokesman.
Isn't Speed a cool word?
You gotta erase the bike block, clear the chakra. We Bostic's are built to bike. Seriously. I can beat Steve on a 1/4 mile sprint on the bike. It's amazing... You gotta live on that saddle if you wanna get faster. Outside, of course. . . The Ramada ain't cuttin it!

2007-08-02 8:54 AM

User image

Regular
Nice race buddy! I feel the same way about the tri tops, if you can feel it, it's creating some type of drag, but in a sprint it's more advantageous to wear it on the swim to save time in T1.

2007-08-03 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
full shave down is where is it at bro....don't stress it and keep building the base...cuz you know what they will say in Nov...Great job in my book
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buckner Mission Man Triathlon Rss Feed