General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SERIOUS Question: Long Distances HIM/IM and Potty Stops Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-08-01 2:18 PM
in reply to: #906000

Alberta, Canada
Subject: RE: SERIOUS Question: Long Distances HIM/IM and Potty Stops
Okay... with just getting into Tri's (first Sprint in 3 weeks), this is kind of freaking me out! I've been almost peeing just sitting here reading all these posts! Anyways... it is great reading this, although it will take me time to get used to it all. I think I will stop at the port-o-potty unless emergency calls and then I know I won't be alone. And I just thought it was me and not enough Keagels after babies!

2007-08-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #910001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

brmorris - 2007-08-01 1:18 PM Okay... with just getting into Tri's (first Sprint in 3 weeks), this is kind of freaking me out! I've been almost peeing just sitting here reading all these posts! Anyways... it is great reading this, although it will take me time to get used to it all. I think I will stop at the port-o-potty unless emergency calls and then I know I won't be alone. And I just thought it was me and not enough Keagels after babies!

You'll do well, no worries!

What hasn't been mentioned here is the psychological  factor.

Yes, I gotta pee lots when I ride and before a running race, if I don't go three or four times, before the start, I stress until I can get to the first on-course port-o-potty.

Of course I don't "really" need to pee that much, but something in my history and psychological make up clicks on and makes me think that if I don't go and go now, I won't be able to climb that hill, or keep my pace.

After all the training and preparation, many endurance athletes are more or less equally able to perform well (generalizing here, don't shoot me). What differentiates those who can get a top ten from the consistently BOPs is the ability to play the mental game and win.

That mental game goes beyond dealing with the pain and stress you may face in a race. It includes the basic biological functions we deal with every day and managing to suppress or at least control them without impacting performance.

This is the monkey on my back that I have to deal with. Now I'm going to go hose down my bike. 

2007-08-01 2:42 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sorry if this has been brought up already. 

Most of the time pit stops on the course can get you in trouble if you are not in a port a potty and a race official sees you so be careful.  On the run course at Racine HIM I ducked into a wooded spot and made a quick stop.  When I came out an official on a bike rode up next to me and said "705, I'm not going to officially penalize you but I could.  That's not cool, don't do it again."  At the time I couldn't have cared if it was a 1 hour penalty, I was hurting.  I had passed 4 port a potties that had lines outside of them and didn't want to wait that long.  On the bike there were never large enough gaps to pee without other people around.

2007-08-01 2:43 PM
in reply to: #910034

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
hangloose - 2007-08-01 2:42 PM

On the bike there were never large enough gaps to pee without other people around.

I'm sure once you begin to let loose a gap would quickly develop.

2007-08-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #910037

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
the bear - 2007-08-01 2:43 PM
hangloose - 2007-08-01 2:42 PM

On the bike there were never large enough gaps to pee without other people around.

I'm sure once you begin to let loose a gap would quickly develop.

I should have just let loose when my wheel broke down.  Nobody would have noticed.

What is the official penalty for public whizzing?  Or does each race have their own or is the official's call?

2007-08-01 2:53 PM
in reply to: #910034

Elite
hangloose - 2007-08-01 1:42 PM

When I came out an official on a bike rode up next to me and said "705, I'm not going to officially penalize you but I could.  That's not cool, don't do it again." 

How did he "officially know" what you were doing? Maybe you just stopped for a doob break?

2007-08-01 2:58 PM
in reply to: #910059

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
How did he "officially know" what you were doing? Maybe you just stopped for a doob break?

That rule only applies to Doobathlons. I heard about those events when I was in college. 

2007-08-01 3:19 PM
in reply to: #909156

User image

Master
brummie land
Gina76 - 2007-08-01 6:04 AM
ScottoNM - 2007-07-31 2:29 PM
MikeTheBear - 2007-07-31 3:26 PM

Is there a time limit at which point you feel the urge, or should feel the urge, to pee? I've gone on 2 hour bike rides and didn't need to pee, and I'm pretty sure I've gone on hikes that lasted longer and didn't need to go. Yes, I probably don't take in enough water, but still, I sweat it out faster than it gets processed.

BTW - After reading the comments, the no drafting rule is one I will have no trouble following.

It's funny - I can go 3 hours on the bike easily without needing a "natural break."

But on my long run I need to stop twice in the first 45 minutes (fortunately it's trail running, so no problem...)

I went on over a 3 hour ride last weekend and did not pee once. Granted I live in the desert and it was in the 90's at 7 am but as soon as I was finished I peed about every 45 min for the first three hours after and I used that as a sign that I was hydrated well enough....but I could be wrong....

it could be your electrolytes are out of whack. kathyg mentioned it to me. since adding zymm tablets to my water i haven't been pee-ing like a crazy woman after exercise.  

2007-08-01 3:48 PM
in reply to: #910059

User image

Pro
Reston
ScottoNM - 2007-08-01 3:53 PM How did he "officially know" what you were doing? Maybe you just stopped for a doob break?

It's not the actual peeing that is the problem.  As far as I know, there's no rule, per se, against going the bathroom during the race.  However, public nudity, or "indecent exposure" as it is defined in the rules, is prohibited.  So, if the race official saw his "doob," it doesn't matter whether he was going the bathroom or not.

2007-08-01 3:52 PM
in reply to: #910049

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
hangloose - 2007-08-01 2:48 PM

What is the official penalty for public whizzing?  Or does each race have their own or is the official's call?

No USAT rule against whizzing (sorry Laura). Or dumping for that matter (sorry Chris).

2007-08-01 4:11 PM
in reply to: #910155

Elite
Denver, Colorado
3558 - 2007-08-01 3:48 PM
ScottoNM - 2007-08-01 3:53 PM How did he "officially know" what you were doing? Maybe you just stopped for a doob break?

It's not the actual peeing that is the problem.  As far as I know, there's no rule, per se, against going the bathroom during the race.  However, public nudity, or "indecent exposure" as it is defined in the rules, is prohibited.  So, if the race official saw his "doob," it doesn't matter whether he was going the bathroom or not.

This is an actual instruction posted on the site of the tri I'm doing in August:

Once you have completed the swim, just after you exit the beach and head up the concrete path to the bike transition zone in the parking lot.  There will be two small wading pools to run through that you can rinse your feet off. There will be thick rubber mats in the bottom so you don’t slip. Next, there will be an optional wet suit stripping area. If you want someone to finish taking your wetsuit off (remember no nudity), just pull it down to your waist, then flop down on your back, stick your legs up in the air and they’ll pull it right off and hand it back to you. You think I’m kidding about the nudity but at Ironman Canada a couple years ago, a foreign racer didn’t realize what the wet suit strippers were doing, and surprise, surprise. Don’t let that be you.

2007-08-01 4:20 PM
in reply to: #910155

Elite
3558 - 2007-08-01 2:48 PM

From the way hangloose described the incident, it sounds like the official saw nothing except hangloose emerging from the woods with a relieved look on his face.

2007-08-01 4:24 PM
in reply to: #910205

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
ScottoNM - 2007-08-01 4:20 PM
3558 - 2007-08-01 2:48 PM

From the way hangloose described the incident, it sounds like the official saw nothing except hangloose emerging from the woods with a relieved look on his face.

Exactly.  Well, he may have seen my back through the leaves in a stationary position for about 30 seconds but that's it.  So could he have been talking about an infraction for leaving the course or something like that?  OR was he just pulling my chain (pun intended)?

2007-08-01 6:14 PM
in reply to: #906144

User image

Veteran

skavoovie - 2007-07-30 2:23 AM  I get really sick of swimming through urine at races (and don't give me the "I overhydrated" argument...if I can smell it it's not dilute enough to be a hydration issue). I don't care how intense of a racer you think you are. Be responsible and hold your bladder for the shortest leg of the race.

I find it hard to believe that you would SMELL someone's urine who peed in the water. As a scuba diver, I (and all of my dive buddies) have peed GALLONS and GALLONS and I've never smelled it in the water. EVER. Now, that aroma that clings to the wetsuit that's been hanging in the sun a few hours is a completely different story.

Additionally, unless you are in a pool, you are swimming in fish poop anyways, why be scared of  human fluids?

2007-08-01 10:02 PM
in reply to: #910362

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
panout - 2007-08-01 4:14 PM

skavoovie - 2007-07-30 2:23 AM I get really sick of swimming through urine at races (and don't give me the "I overhydrated" argument...if I can smell it it's not dilute enough to be a hydration issue). I don't care how intense of a racer you think you are. Be responsible and hold your bladder for the shortest leg of the race.

I find it hard to believe that you would SMELL someone's urine who peed in the water. As a scuba diver, I (and all of my dive buddies) have peed GALLONS and GALLONS and I've never smelled it in the water. EVER. Now, that aroma that clings to the wetsuit that's been hanging in the sun a few hours is a completely different story.

Additionally, unless you are in a pool, you are swimming in fish poop anyways, why be scared of human fluids?

It's all about dilution. You aren't drafting off of a fish when it poops in your face.
2007-08-02 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Sorry to take this back to [semi] solids, but just wanted to say that as a HS cross country coach for a few years, I saw lots of finishers whose pre-race jitters combined with extreme effort for 15 minutes had resulted in a blown gasket... and yes you smelled this kind of discharge at the finish!  God bless those kids - 3 state championship races and every year one of the top 20 finishers had a mess running down his leg.  And one young lady too).

Someone mentioned immodium.  Great for a 5K, but what is the physiological response of this wonder drug in terms of your ability to continue digesting/absorbing over time?  I've always assumed it kind of shuts down your digestive system for a bit, which would probably be worse than potty breaks in the long run.

PS - I'm game for the pee challenge.  I say record number of seconds spent urinating each day (I'm sure we all wear our training watches to work), with a points deduction for poor color (sorry over-supplementers).  Muhahahah... sounds like fun!

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-08-02 7:39 AM

2007-08-02 4:48 PM

User image

I did a 9.5 mile Walter Payton run through neighborhoods last year and had to pee pretty badly at the start. It was not chip timed and there was a long line at the porta-potties when the gun went off. I just started running, because there were porta-potties supposedly on the course, and I hoped I could make it to them. The pressure was pretty distracting, so I saw a construction site with a porta-potty and made myself at home. My brother got a kick out of it at least. It never occurred to me to just pee down my leg. It has never been in issue in the shorter races, 5K, 8K and sprint tri's, that I have done. I train with my girlfriend and she will not appreciate that idea at all.

A duece? Are you kidding? No one shoots you if you come in 5 minutes later. If you make your living this way, I guess it is an option, but the rest of us have to keep some measure of self respect. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a tight rubber suit to flop around in near a public beach so I can later abuse my butt on a tiny bike seat through traffic.
2007-08-02 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
two and a half hour ride yesterday.  AND WHAT do you think is the only thing I could think about after reading this thread for three days? 
2007-08-02 7:59 PM
in reply to: #911771

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta

jashac - 2007-08-02 4:56 PM two and a half hour ride yesterday.  AND WHAT do you think is the only thing I could think about after reading this thread for three days? 

Lol! Yup, I thought of you all as I gave my bike the "golden shower" repeatedly on yesterday's rides. Sick, but true.

2007-08-03 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
This thread has made me laugh so hard lucky for me I don't need to use the bathroom at this instant. Thanks everyone for making me think about peeing every time I look at my bike. I had no idea that this topic was so involved. I think the key point for me would be the ambient temperature. The last race I ran was on Thanksgiving so I think the steam emanating from my lower half might have been too much of a distraction. With all this advice I might just cave in to the pressure if the time comes. I'm thankful for the no drafting rules.
2007-08-03 1:59 PM
in reply to: #911855

User image

Pro
Reston
ch2626 - 2007-08-02 8:59 PM

I gave my bike the "golden shower" repeatedly

There is a fine line between necessity and fetish. 

2007-08-03 4:51 PM
in reply to: #912701

User image

Veteran

chrisinct - 2007-08-03 2:40 PM This thread has made me laugh so hard lucky for me I don't need to use the bathroom at this instant. Thanks everyone for making me think about peeing every time I look at my bike. I had no idea that this topic was so involved. I think the key point for me would be the ambient temperature. The last race I ran was on Thanksgiving so I think the steam emanating from my lower half might have been too much of a distraction. With all this advice I might just cave in to the pressure if the time comes. I'm thankful for the no drafting rules.

Perhaps this is the REASON for the no-drafting rules? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SERIOUS Question: Long Distances HIM/IM and Potty Stops Rss Feed  

of 4