75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 58m 55s
Overall Rank = 988/2208
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 195/373
Pre-race routine:

Introduction

Last year as I was training for my 4th marathon, I got the notion that I wanted to start planning for a full Ironman. Because registration opens the day after a race for the following year, and most races sell out in a blink of an eye, the beginning of 2007 was the time to start planning for a 2008 race. The plan I layed out had me doing 2-3 Half Ironman races in 2007 and a full in 2008.

After my Winter Marathon in the beginning of January, I started training for my first Half Ironman. (Ironman California, 70.3 on March 31st) This race really tossed some uncertainty into my plans. As it turns out, Ironman California had 50 "Qualified" slots for each of the other full Ironman Races. The idea is that they would roll them down through the age groups in finisher order until they were all gone.

Now I had a big decision to make; what would I do if I was offered a slot for a full ironman in 2007?

My performance in the Orange County Marathon boosted my confidence enough to contemplate the idea of doing a full Ironman in 2007 as long as it was in the 2nd half of the year. After some deliberation, I figured that Ironman USA in Lake Placid New York was my race. I was pretty certain this was a big longshot. I had no clue how well I would do in IMCal, and even less confidence that I would be able to get high enough in the standings to actually get one of these slots.

When I started my training, I decided to ramp my volume up for a full Ironman just in case. Even if I did not get the slot, it would still be great training for IMCal. As luck would have it, I did really well in Oceanside. I stuck around for the rolldowns and was able to get a slot for Ironman USA. I had very little time to second guess since I had to register and pay the money, or my slot was gone and I would have to wait for 2008. (I took the leap and registered)

Training

My focused training really started in January and I did 15-18 hour weeks on average with a few 20+ hour peak weeks. My longest run was 24 miles, my longest ride was 100 miles and my longest swim was 3.1 miles. The first part of my racing season was designed to focus my strengths and help minimize my weakness (Running). I did 2 Half Ironman races (Ironman California 70.3 and Wildflower Long Course), a Half Marathon (PacShore in February) and an epic 5k Rough Water Swim Race in June.

I felt like my training brought me to the starting line in the best shape of my life and definitely better than I could have ever expected on just a bit less than 5 months of focused training. With just a month to go, I signed up for Ironman Coeur D'Alene 2008. (Remember that signups are a year in advance) My hope is that with another full year of training, I will be able to improve on my Ironman USA experience.

This is in keeping with my habit of going into an "A" race already registered for the next one. (Takes some of the pressure off and ease the "Performance Anxiety")

Heading into this race, my only real goal is to finish and stay out of the Med Tent(s). The race begins sharp at 7:00AM with a Mass Start and finishes up at 11:59:59 that evening. All I have to do is finish before Midnight and I am golden. I have a very optimistic goal of a Daylight Finish but I am certain that this is a flight of fancy. (The result of Taper Madness) Of course, I want to have fun throughout the day and soak up all that an Ironman Event has to offer.

I know I am going to make rookie mistakes, and given that I have a bit less than 6 months of training going into this race, probably less than optimal fitness to start setting agressive time goals. I make a promise to myself that I will not be dissapointed as long as I finish and have fun.

The Trip

Because I registered for this race so late, there was no vacancies anywhere in the town of Lake Placid. After some creative research, I found a cabin for rent at "The Wabeek" in Upper Saranac Lake. The place had a 7 day minimum stay and required that I pay in advance, but it seemed worth it at the time. The plan was to arrive on Thursday before the race and and stay through the following wednesday and make this a Summer Holiday.

I was able to get a flight into Albany, New York for a reasonable price but I had to fly out of LAX. With a 2 hour drive north to catch the flight, and a 3 hour drive to the Saranac Lake Area, this was definitely going to be a long journey. Luckily, I shipped my bike and gear with Tri-Bike Transport so had one less thing to worry about.

When we arrived at the Wabeek, we realized that we had really scored big. The Lodge and cabins were beautiful. Private beach with canoes, Sailboats, a big game room and some incredible views. The place was what a holiday in the Adirondacks is all about. What a great place to plan my post-race recovery. (Sitting in a hammock reading a book about something other than endurance sports) After a short nap, we drove into Lake Placid and had dinner with Tom, his SIL and DD. Was really great to finally meet Tom after months of "Hanging Out" online.

Friday morning, I drove down to Mirror Lake where the swim course was already set up and hooked up with Max, Tom and a bunch of other BT folks but was never able to match names with screen names and it was great to meet Max. He is a very experienced IM Racer and I wished I had more time to chat with him. We all went out and did one loop of the swim course slow and easy. I am used to doing Open water swims with a group and so buddy'd up with Tom and his SIL Karen for the swim. The swim was very refreshing and really paid big dividends on race day. (Course Familiarization) It seems there is a cable stretched out on the bottom that all of the course markers are tied to that made sighting very easy.

Event warmup:

Pre-Race

Spent Friday night putting all of my bags together for check in. For those not familiar with the format of Ironman Races, they provide 5 plastic bags for use on race day:

Dry Bag: For your pre/post Race needs (What you would put in a bag check at a Marathon)
Swim/Bike Bag: Everything you need for Transition #1 to prepare you for the bike
Bike/Run Bag: Everything you need for Transition #2 to prepare you for the run
Bike Special Needs: Anything you might need half way through the bike
Run Special Needs: Anything you might need half way through the run

In My T1 Bag, I put my bike shoes, Helmet, Number Belt, Socks, Jersey,Arm Warmers, Sunglasses and Bike Nutrition
In my T2 Bag, I put my Running Shoes, Running Hat,extra Number Belt, extra Socks and my run Nutrition

A friend of mine who is a very exprienced IM racer, gave me some great suggestions on what to put into my SN Bags:

1). Alternative Nutrition in case my planned nutrition was not working
2). Pack a long sleeve shirt in my SN-Run bag in case I was out on the run after dark (It gets cold)

In my SN-Bike Bag, I packed extra tubes and C02 along with some animal crackers and fig bars
In my SN-Run Bag, I packed a few letters from friends along with a long sleeve shirt and some more animal crackers and fig bars

On Saturday, I went down to transition and checked in my bike, T1 and T2 bags. I would check in my Dry bag and my SN bags on Race Morning.

Nothing left to do now but relax and wait. (Bring it on)

Slept like a baby on Saturday night and woke up right on time Sunday morning for the trip into town. Ate a couple of clif bars, had some coffee and a bagel with Peanut Butter along the way. Was feeling really good and quite relaxed about the whole thing.

Once in the transition area, I checked in my SN bags, changed into my suit and put my clothes into my dry bag and checked it in. I also stuff all of my Gel for the bike into my Bento Box mounted just behing the stem on my bike. Too bad it is not big enough for my clif bars. (I will be stuffing them into the pockets of my Tri Suit in T1)

Nothing left to do now but get it on :)

Swim
  • 1h 05m 20s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

The Swim

Crossed the chip mat and got into the water to prepare for the start. This is a Mass start in the water. This means everyone is out treading water behind the start line and when the gun goes off, we all start swimming. (Yes, everyone) Getting kicked, punched and runover is all part of the game. I felt like I was prepared for what was about to come. Got out in the water and found a place about 20 ft behind the line and proceeded to play in the water for a bit. There is a helocopter flying around taking video of us and as the sun is coming up, there is fog rising off of the water. (A very surreal picture to be sure)

The gun fires and we are off to what I think is a bit of a slow start. The folks in front of me are not swimming very fast and I am suddenly in close quarters. I polo stroke for a bit until I find some clear water and then I am off. I find myself right on the cable for the first 200 meters or so and decide the inside lane is not the best place to be so I start edging way. I find quite a bit of clear water and a pretty fast swimmer to draft off of.

I hang on this guys feet for a while but then it gets crowded again. Lots of folks all around me and I starting to get a bit frustrated. Then I am in a bit of free water and I start moving away smartly. Then it happens, Bam, I get kicked in the head so hard that I am seeing stars. Not sure where it came from since there is no one in front of me. (Probably someone who got tired and started to breast stroke off to the side of me)

I shake this off and decide enough is enough. I start focusing on steering around folks and finding a clear patch of water. After a bit of this, I realize that the pack has mostly broken up and I find another swimmer to draft of of and quickly fall right onto his feet. I follow him through the first turn and most of the way back toward the beach. Then he seems to tire so I swim around him and hope he gets the idea to draft me for a while. (Nope, there is someone else there already)

When my hands touch the bottom it is time to stand up and get out of the water. I take 3 or 4 strides and I am at the chip mat. I almost did not look at the clock because I am fearful that my first lap time is going to be dismal. So many problems out on the course, I am sure this is a very slow swim. Then I look at the race clock and it says 31:27. (Holy Crap, my fastest 1.2 mile swim ever)

Just a short run around the dock and back into the water for lap 2. Mentally, I know lap 2 will be longer because of the short beach run, and because I still have a bit of swim to get to the start line again. Lap 2 is going much better, I am back on someones feet and can feel someone else hanging into mine. during my OWS practices with my training partners, we train to not "Tickle the feet" of the folks we are drafting off of and the guy behind me has yet to figure this out. He is constantly touching my feet and every once in a while grabs my calf. He tries to swim around a few times, but immediately figures out that it is much easier to swim in my draft.

Around the course we go in our long pace line and before I know it, I can again see people standing on the beach. I start encorporating more kick in my stroke to get the blood flowing in my legs for what is about to come. When my hands touch bottom, time to stand up and start running again. I run across the chip mat, glance at the race clock and hit the lap timer on my watch. I am really stoked with my swim time. The swim felt easy and my time is by far my fastest race pace in any Triathlon. (Thanks to the Draft I am certain)

What would you do differently?:

This was by far my best swim performance in Competition. I actually believe that my fitness does not support the results. Rather, Drafting provided the extra benefit.
Transition 1
  • 07m 5s
Comments:

Transition #1

Just past the chip mats is the stripper area. I had never done this before but it all seemed so natural. My stripper had my suit unzipped, I was on my back and my suit was off and I was running again before I knew it. Now I have a 1/4 mile run from the lake to the Olympic Oval where the Transition area is. As I run down the chute, I hear Tom and company yelling, "Hey, Waterdog". Wahoo, someone here knows me. (Tom was specating this year and Registering on Monday for Next Year)

I get into transition, swing by the racks and grap my Swim/Bike Bag and into the changing tent. Find a chair, empty the contents of the bag, stuff my wetsuit into the bag and toss it (Volunteers will hang it up later). Bike Shoes on, Jersey On, Nutrition in back pockets of my Tri-Suit, Sunglasses on and away we go. Out of the tent and more running. (Now in bike shoes) I grab my bike and move quickly to the mount line. Click the split button on my watch and I am off on the bike. My transition time was ~7 minutes but that included a 1/2 mile run barefoot so that is not too bad.

This transition seemed optimal for me. It is long mostly due to the 1/4 mile run to the changing tent. In the future, I would probably focus on taking my time here and being a bit more deliberate.
Bike
  • 6h 16m 14s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

The Bike

I try to start out really easy on the bike. There are a few rollers and some steep downhills on the way out of town and I am intent on taking it easy. (Note that I will be running up and down this steep hill later) After about 5 miles I am feeling great. Tummy and HR settled pretty quickly and it is time to start executing my nutrition plan:

1 Gel Every 30 minutes
1 Clif Bar every hour
1 Bottle water every Hour
1/2 Bottle Gatorade Every Hour

I Slam a Gu and take some good pulls of water to wash it down. Then after a minute or two, I start nibbling on a Clif Bar. The primary purpose of the clif bars is to give my stomach something to work on and keep me from getting hungry. The calories are not as important since I am already getting plenty from the Gatorade and Gu. Before I know it, I am at the big downhill into Keen and I quickly get up on my big ring and start pushing. Not too hard, but enough to maintain a good downhill pace.

I am getting passed by quite a few folks on some really speedy bikes but am certain I will see them again as we start climbing out. In the back of my mind I know that I will pay for this free speed later with some really big climbs. As we speed away from Keen, I quickly get into a nice groove and try to keep the my efforts still pretty easy. Nutrition is right on schedule and I am able to replentish my water at the bottle swaps.

As we come around through wilmington and start what I remember to the the big climb back into LP, I notice this big gorge with a water fall and I realize not for the first time today, what a great place to have a race. Then I see the signs, Go Max, Go Cappy, Go Tomo, Go Waterdog. I guess Tom was busy making signs on Saturday Night. He is cheering on a bunch of folks.

As we ride along this river, I am waiting for the epic climb to begin. then before I know it, the we are near the top and the crowds are starting to get thick along the road. Then it is like riding up L'Alp D'Huez as the crowds spill onto the course. One guy asked me what I was smiling about and I responded, because I am having so much fun. He expected me to be in pain after climbing the hill I guess.

Right at the crest of the hill, I hear Tom calling out "Hey Waterdog" and I respond. Then we are riding along the lake and I realize we are almost done with the first lap. I get a little frisky at this point mostly because the course has barriers that can be quite dangerous on a crowded course and so I am trying to find some space without a bunch of other riders around. Then I realize I am flying through town and done with the first loop.

I hit the lap button on my watch, and then it hits me, Crap, I did that lap way too fast. (1st Lap was just under 3 Hours) I need to slow way down and take it easy. I feel good and my RPE is still pretty low but I am definitely not sticking with my pace plan. As I head into the second lap, I try and lower my level of effort as much as possible. Heading around the second loop, and on the big downhill again.

Then around through Keen and toward Wilmington and Whiteface Mountain. Wow, the scenery here is just amazing. There is a little out and back and there is plenty of shade along the way. It seemed to me that the weather was perfect and I never noticed any wind along the way but the shade is welcome none the less. It is here that I make a real effort ot back way off of the pace owing to the fact that I know the climb into LP is going to be much more noticeable on the second lap.

As we head back along the river again, I holler out everyone's name from the signs that Tom had placed. "Go Max, Go Cappy, Go Tomo,Go Type A, Go Me (Waterdog)" Then I am in a groove climbing the hill again and it still does not feel bad to me. Certainly nothing like the hills and heat of wildflower. At about this point, I take a quick inventory, I have stuck to my nutrition plan perfectly and am finishing up the last of my nutrition as I ride into town.

I drink the last of my water (I only carried one bottle up the hill) as I head toward the transition area. Just as I pass by on the hill above the Olympic Oval, I hear Watermom Calling me and I wave as I cruise by. (Saw the pics later and I was really flying through town again) Then to the dismount line and off the bike.

Pacing was definitely off on the first lap. Pacing for my 2nd lap was spot right where I wanted to be and I did not seem to pay much of a price for it.

Hydration was also a bit lacking on the bike. I went into the run pretty dehydrated. Nutrition was Spot on but Hydration could have been better.
Transition 2
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

Transition #2

Volunteer grabs my bike and I am running for the changing tent. Running in my cycling shoes on soft grass is definitely not comfortable. I swing by and grab my Bike/Run bag and duck into the changing tent. I take advantage of the loo in the tent and take a quick bio-break. Then find a chair, dump the contents of my bag on the ground and into the bag goes my helmet, glasses, Jersey and shoes. I toss the bag (Volunteer will rack it later) then I put on my running shoes, Running Hat and Stuff my nutrition in the back pockets of my tri-suit and I am off.

Turn my number around as I exit transition and away I go. Hit my lap timer and my T2 time is much better. (~3 Minutes total) I found out later, it was too fast for Watermom to get down and watch me run out of transition. Just after transition I am suddenly aware of a very painful foot cramp in my left foot. No doubt from the long run in my bike shoes.

This transition seemed to speed by. Did not want to linger here for too long. Just wanted to get into my run.

I might have done a better job of checking out my feet before starting to run. (IE, If I have foot cramps, rub them out before putting my shoes on)
Run
  • 5h 16m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The Marathon

For my Marathon Friends, this is where the it all begins. It is now about 2:40 in the afternoon and I only have 26.2 miles to go to finish this thing. My goal beyond just finishing this darn thing, was to finish with the sun still in the sky. A Daylight Finish was pretty optimistic for my first Ironman but I know from experience that I needed goals like this, but also should be able to let it go if things were not going well and set a new revised goal. (Like Just finish before Midnight)

My pace plan for the run was to add 1 hour into my "Hilly" marathon PR. I ran a 4 hour marathon in San Francisco so I started out pacing for a 5 hour marathon. I figured if I felt good in the latter part of the marathon, I could pick up the pace a bit. At this point, a 5 hour marathon would put me in under 13 hours and I would be tickled if that is how things actually played out.

After the first couple of miles, my foot cramp was still with me but I figured hey, I am able to maintain my target pace but it was going to get pretty ugly if my foot did not get better soon. At about mile 4 I was finally able to shake off the foot cramp and then I was able to run pain free. (Although at a pretty slow pace)

As I was running out of town, I knew I was going to have a tough time later on. I was running down some pretty steep hills that I would have to climb later in the day and had made a decision that I was going to walk the steepest part of these hills on the first lap rather than try to run them through. (A mistake I made at Wildflower that I was not going to repeat here) At the turnaround for the out and back that makes up the loop, I took stock of my current situation.

I felt like I was still pretty fueled up but was pretty dehydrated. My RPE was pretty high even for the slowish pace I was running at. (Around a 10 minute mile) I figured I could hold onto this pace at least through the rest of the lap but I needed to take in some fluids. I decided to skip the nutrition for a while since this would just make things worse with my dehydration and just focus on sips of gatorade and as much water as I could handle.

On the way back, I could see the Olympic Ski Jumps and it hit me again that this was just an awesome place to have a race and I really was having the time of my life here. I crossed a chip mat about then and a little LED sign had a message for me. (Hey Waterdog, Go Cheesehead) Not sure who posted this message but thanks, it definitely helped me through a rough spot.

Then I was around the corner and at the base of the hill(s) leading back into LP. Time to stop and walk. This was really hard for me to do and would loved to have run the whole marathon, but I needed to stick with the plan. (And I was right on pace so far) I walked the first hill and started running on the flat between this one and the much bigger hill heading into town. About this time I spotted Max heading out on his first lap. We traded greetings and I knew he would finish the day.

Then I was at the big set of hills heading into town and stopped to walk again. Hit every water stop and grabbed as much fluids as I could get my hands on and then grabbed the icy sponges and washed my face and the back of my neck down. (God that felt good) At the top of the hill, I saw Watermom again and traded high fives with the waterpups.

Then I was running again past the transition area and out by the lake for a little out and back past the boathouse. Running was much tougher after walking for a bit but I was able to loosen up after a while. (But my pace was a bit slower now) On the way back past the transition area I hit the lap timer on my watch and was right on schedule for a 5 hour marathon. Ran back down the hills out of town and past the ski jumps again and around the corner.

About this time, my RPE began to really climb and I really started to struggle with the hills. I wanted to hold out as long as possible and just keep the pace. I still had about 10 miles left to run. I kept telling myself that on a good training day, this was an 80 minute run; Suck it up and keep moving. So, I started to chat with some of the other runners. Asking what lap they were on and asking about their day.

Most folks wanted to chat but one or two just wanted to be left alone. I played leapfrog with quite a few folks. I would run ahead as they stopped to walk for a bit, and they would catch up to me since I was starting to run really swow up the little hills. (Seemed like walk pace to me) Then I saw the ski jumps and the electric sign and I knew I was almost done.

The sun was still burning bright in the sky but it was pretty late in the day and I was thinking that I might be finishing in the dark. I could stop and get my SN bag if needed at about mile 24. Then I was walking up the hill again. This time I did not run on the flat part but waited until I got back into town. At about this point, I started drinking the Cola. They were pouring it straight out of the bottle and it had not been defizzed. Most of the other runners were mixing it with water do Defizz it and it seemed to work.

Then I realized that I really needed to get moving if I was going to finish under 13 hours. Every time I looked at my watch, the possibility of Sub-13 seemed to slip farther and farther away. Then I was running again. I got up toward the transition area and saw Max. I hollered out his name and he said "Bring it On Home". I figured he was heading into the finish and that he had passed me at some point on the course. (I found out later, he was heading out on his second lap)

I decided now was the time to start my "Kick". I started running and headed toward the out and back by the lake. Just trying to maintain some sort of even pace and not get too hung up on a sub-13 finish. (It looked pretty bleak at this point) I remembered something that Scott Douglas wrote in one of his race reports: When you start to feel fatigue in your legs, run faster and it will clear it away. So every time I became aware of the feeling like I had concrete in my shoes, I would try to pick up the pace for a bit. Then I hit the turnaround behind the lake and I was on the home stretch.

I passed Tom, Watermom and the WaterPups on the way out and that was their que to head down to the finish chute. About this time I was really starting to crave some of that Chicken Broth but it was not out yet. (It comes out after dark) I was really getting hungry and I thought about hitting up my Special Needs Bag for some animal crackers but decided it was better to just press on and eat at the finish line.

This was a sad moment for me because All the way back, I saw so many of the folks I had chatted with out on the course running out and I knew my race was almost over (I wish I we could have all finished as a group). The last mile or so back to the transition area went by pretty quick but I was very much enjoying this and taking in the last bits of the whole experience. Then a short downhill toward the transition.

There is a point on most Ironman courses where there are 2 arrows. One that points in one direction for the folks heading out on their second lap, and one that points to the finish for folks who are DONE! And I was done and doing a very happy dance for the volunteer standing at the sign waving people on.

Then I was out on the olympic Oval and I glanced at my watch. I was a bit groggy from the last bit of extra effort I had put into my kick and figured I had to run about 1/2 of a 400 meter oval and about 2 minutes left before a Sub-13 finish. Could I Cover 200 meters in 2 minutes? I had no clue what my pace actually was at this point but it was time to start "Hauling the Mail".

Around the turn it felt great to be running on a track like in the Olympics and then I hear it (Mike Riley's Voice), Tim Wilson from California, You are an Ironman, Come on Down. Then I look over and my 6 Year Old DD has just been let out onto the last straightaway and is running just ahead of me. I charge ahead and sprint into the finish just ahead of her and cross the finish line on a very long day. (Stop my watch as I cross) I look at my watch. 12:58:55. I must have really done something cool to have bagged my sub-13.

The Catcher "Caught Me" and I was definitely a bit wobbly. I was totally spent and out of breath from my finish line sprint and it took me more than a few minutes to regain some composure. He led me over to get de-chipped, pick up my finisher's stuff and get reunited with DW. (DD was still with me at the finish) I guess the whole run with the kids at the finish is a formal affair because DD and DW both had my number written on their hands so as to insure that the right kid left with the right parent.

Got a quick finish photo and then it was off to the food tent. God I was hungry. Best of all, they had chicken broth. Drank 3 cups of that along with a whole bottle of gatorade and then scarfed 4 big slices of veggie pizza. (Figured the Pepperoni would not sit well at this point)

It was about now that I noticed that the sun was setting on a very nice day and I started to get cold and a bit sad that it was over. I wandered over to get my stuff out of transition and grabbed a long sleeve shirt out of my dry bag to keep me warm. Dropped my bike off at Tri-Bike Transport along with my gear and I was ready to head home.

I really wanted to get back down here in time for the finish party but by this time it was not looking possible for me to get back by 10:00PM. For those not familiar, Ironman hosts a finisher's party from 10:00PM to 12:00PM at the finish line. Everyone comes out and cheers on the last of the finishers.

When these folks finish, the only thing that does not hurt on their body is their hearts. (And sometimes their heart is the only thing they have left to get them to the finish line) It is definitely an experience and I was sad to be missing it. But, I needed to get back and get cleaned up and take a lot more calories on board. As it turned out, by the time we caught the shuttle back to the car and drove back to the Lodge, it was 11:00 and no way I could make it back in time.

I felt like I had a good pace plan and did the best I could given my fitness and the course. The run is always where you get to pay for mistakes earlier in the day, it will always be what you make of it.

Maybe I could have started my kick a bit sooner but I do not regret my decision to walk the steeper hills. (Learned my lesson well from Wildflower)
Post race
Warm down:

Post Race

After a good night's sleep, we headed down to breakfast at the lodge and there were about 60 guests there already eating when we arrived. When we walked in, everyone stood up and started clapping and cheering and at first, I could not figure out why. I looked behind me to see who else had stepped into the room and then I realized, they were cheering for ME. Lots of congratulations and well done from the group.

Made me feel like a Rock Star.

We stayed 3 more days and lots of folks chatted with me about the race down at the beach, at breakfast and anywhere they could find me. The local paper that came out the following day had the race results and I was there, in black and white. We met up with Tom in Albany on Wednesday for Lunch and he was nice enough to give me a copy of the paper for me to keep.

After breakfast on Monday, I was feeling pretty good but knew that DOMS would be along 48 hours after the race. I was hopeful since I walked quite a bit after the race collecting my gear and dropping everything off to ship home. So, I decided to head out on the lake for a nice relaxing sail.

They had a Capri 14 available for the guests. I used to race the Capri with my old Club on Wedneday nights. (Beercan Races) I got out on the lake and was quickly reminded how fast these little boats really are. I quickly got the boat out on a close reach with "A Bone in it's Teeth" and it was really flying. These boats are small and rather tippy and so I was hiked out to compensate for the fact that I was close hauled.

Then it happened, I hit a boat wake from a cruiser and I was quickly in the ditch. Then the bow plowed into the face of the 3rd or 4th wave in the set and the boat quickly stalled and began to roll with me still hiked out. I let the sails fly and steered into the wind to compensate mostly out of instinct and everything was fine.

But everything was not fine. When I reached down and tried to tug on the mainsheet, I had a shooting pain in my arm like a very bad cramp. I had been getting intermittent cramps since the race and so figured it was just my shoulder protesting from race fatigue. After a few minutes of massage, I was able to use my arm again, but it still hurt a bit and was definitely weak.

I sailed back across the lake although in a much less aggressive manner and got back to the mooring and tied the boat up. (This Sailboat had no engine so I had to sail it back and catch the mooring just in front of the lee shore) It got a bit dodgy toward the end but then I was tied up.

Walking back, I knew that things were far from OK. Nothing in my shoulder felt normal but I was not in a whole lot of pain at this point. I suspected that I had dislocated my shoulder and we toddled off to the Emergency Room to get it checked out. When I got there, the Triage Doc asked me what the problem was, and I said that I think I dislocated my shoulder. He did not believe me until he looked at it and then was very suprised to learn it had been almost 3 hours since it had happened. (He thought I should be in a lot more pain)

He asked me if I would mind trying to set it without an Anesthetic and I said sure. So, right there in the waiting room, an ER tech pressed on my Shoulder blade, and the doc moved my arm around a bit, and then said to me "OK, time to find a happy place", and he moved my arm and pop,pop,pop, Ahhhhh (It was back in place) Quick X-Ray confirmed that everything was where it should be and that nothing was broken.

After 2 weeks of recovery, the shoulder is almost back to normal but I will be out of the water and off the bike for at least 2 more weeks.

Wrapping it Up

Swim Time: 1:05:20 - 1:39/100 Yards
T1 Time: 7:05
Bike Time: 6:26:14 - 17:4 MPH
T2 Time: 3:49
Run Time: 5:16:29 - 12:05 Pace

Overall Place: 988
Division Place: 195/373

Overall, I am very pleased with the results. I had high hopes for a daylight finish and I was able to pull it off. I would have been happy with any sort of finish at all for this race. It was my first Ironman and I still have a lot to learn about nutrition, Hydration and Pacing. In the end, Race Execution plays a very important role in the results. (Just as much as fitness does) I made a few mistakes out there but was able to recover from them and cross the finish line upright and breathing.

When I was in the emergency room, there were several folks in hospital gowns with their Iroman Wrist bands still on. (Obviously folks who ended up in the med tent either at the finish or out on the course) It was at that point that I was very grateful to have finished in relatively good health.

Thanks to Everyone

I read somewhere that we inherit all of our Mitochondria from our mother. (Only the Egg contains cellular Mitochondria and Sperm does not) This implies that I have my mother to thank for my endurance and post-race recovery. This is truely a gift she has given to me and I will endeavor to do the best that I can with it. My mother passed away when I was a wee lad but she is still alive inside of me providing me with the energy to make it to the finish line. (Thanks Mom)

I also want to thank everyone from the Marathon forums. It was you who taught me how to run. I have learned a great deal from you all over the past 18 months that I have been focusing on my run and it has been a fun journey. I really do like to run. Special thanks to all of Team Four who have offered nothing but friendship and encouragement over the past year.

Thanks to everyone from the RWOL:Triathlon forum for cheering me on through the journey to Lake Placid over the past year. Thanks also to everyone from BT who monitored my logs and have always offered kind words and encouragement through the whole training process.

Special thanks to the coolest spectator out on the course, Tom (TC117) and his crew. This would have been a very different race if I had done it without knowing anyone else out there. (You were always there to cheer me on just at the right moment)

And finally, thanks to my IronSherpa for doing all that you did to get me to the starting line in tip top shape and made this such a special experience.

Oh, and thanks everyone for following along on race day and for reading my shamelessly long Race Report.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Seems to me that in long distance endurance events, there are a bunch of things that need to be spot on in order to achieve optimal performance on race day:

1). Nutrition
2). Hydration
3). Pacing (For the Course and Conditions)
4). Fitness

I feel like race experience is really the key to nailing 1-3 and there are no out of the box formulas for figuring each of them out. This point is even more important when we don't train ever train the full race distance.

I feel like Nutrition and Fitness were very good for this race. I made some pacing mistakes (On the Bike Mostly) and Hydration was definitely an issue.

Race and Learn :)

Event comments:

Hey, this is an Ironman :)

All other races are measured against the spectacle and grandeur of these races. They are always very well put together and NA Sports is a top notch Host.

This is my 2nd Ironman Event and will definitely be doing more of them. (IMCal 2008 and IMCdA 2008 to be sure)

Last updated: 2007-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:05:20 | 4224 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 71/373
Overall: 390/2208
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Suit
Course: 2 Loops around Mirror Lake with a short run across the chip mats between lap one and two.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:05
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:16:14 | 112 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 192/373
Overall: 905/2208
Performance: Average
Lap 1: 2:58:16 Lap 2: 3:27:58
Wind: Little
Course: 2 56 mile loops through the Adirondack Countryside. Through Keen, Wilmington and past Whiteface Mountain.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:16:29 | 26.2 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 242/373
Overall: 1355/2208
Course: 2 Out and Back laps in and out of the town of Lake Placid out past the Olympic Ski Jumps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %6%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-07 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

This is my shamelessly long Race Report for Ironman USA in Lake Placid.

Just wanted to take a moment and again thank everyone for their support and encouragement through the process of training for and executing this race.

And thanks to Tom, the Super-Spectator who made sure I never felt like I was alone out there on the course :)

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-08-07 1:50 PM

2007-08-07 2:11 PM
in reply to: #916736

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
awesome race report and awesome race!!  love all the detail.  congratulations on finishing your first IM... and finishing strong... sub-13... daylight... very impressive!!
2007-08-07 3:10 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
congrats on becoming an IRONMAN!!!  Great RR with tons of details.  good read.
2007-08-07 3:10 PM

User image

OK, I can stop going to your blogs and tapping on the screen, saying "OK bub, where is it?"

As you say, it's a proper race report, I read every word.  Excellent report, well done, and congrats on a great race.  It's been fun watching you on the journey.

Sorry about the injury but that's what you get doing those dangerous sports

2007-08-07 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Awesome race and report Waterdogg. I've just booked a flight to Madison next month to watch IM WI and to sign up for the '08 race, which will be my first. If I can even come close to putting in the long hours of training you have over the past several months, I will no doubt be prepared for this feat of endurance. Congratulations again!!
2007-08-07 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Congratulations! I have been waiting anxiously for your RR and you did a good one

We all knew you would do great at IM- you were prepared, but I really admire your appreciation of the big day and the other competitors

Great job on such a fast finish and I'm glad all is well with the shoulder :0

2007-08-07 4:50 PM

Extreme Veteran

Quality race report.

Congratulations on the race.

2007-08-07 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Okay, this was a RR worth waiting for!  I appreciated your explaining the background about how you trained qualified, all of that was a little hard to follow earlier this year. 

And MAN did that training pay off!  Stellar performances in all 3 legs - no, 4, because your transitions were very good too.  A near-perfectly executed race.  12:58:55!!!   Fantastic.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.  CONGRATULATIONS, IRONMAN!

Peace!

Edited by CitySky 2007-08-07 5:09 PM
2007-08-07 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC

I was beginning to wonder if we would ever get to read your race report - but this was definitely worth the wait.  That was the best race report I have ever read!!  I loved all the details.  It made it feel like I was there with you.

I am a bit jealous that you got to meet Tom.  I can't wait for my chance to meet him.

You did an awesome job - as I knew you would!  Congratulations!!  You are an IRONMAN!!!!! 

2007-08-07 11:03 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

Excellant RR...great way you planned your race, executed your plan and hit your goals!

Thanks for sharing so much good info in there.

I hope I enjoy the day as much as you did when I do my first up in LP next July. I fell in love the location when we were up there. I'm sure I saw you but didn't know you were you!

2007-08-08 2:58 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Congratulations Ironman!!! This was a truly wonderful read...

2007-08-08 6:19 AM

What a fantastic race report, thanks for sharing and congratulations on an awesome accomplishment!
2007-08-08 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Great Job! Contrats and great race report.

2007-08-08 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Outstanding race report, that was a really great read, and oh yeah congratulations Ironman!!!!
2007-08-08 3:57 PM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Congratulations IronMan Tim. Nice RR and a great race !
2007-08-08 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Fantastic race report! I love all the detail. It really made me feel like I was there with you through all of it. Great job!!!

2007-08-09 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Great race and congratulations on meeting your goals!!!!!
2007-08-09 1:02 PM

User image

Little Egg Harbor
Dogg, as usual great race report

Tonygravato (aka SJ Tony)
2007-08-09 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Wow, you are just awesome. Congrats on your amazing journey to become an IRONMAN. You are inspiring
2007-08-10 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Definitely one of the best race reports. Congrats on your day...and congrats on really experiencing the race and its location. Thanks for sharing!
2007-08-10 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Very nice RR Tim, err Irondogg66!  It was a great read, congrats on your epic achievement.  I was wondering what happened to your shoulder.  Your recovery is looking good.

2007-12-26 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Hey there Ironman! Great race report. I don't know how I missed it. I looked at all I could find after I did IMLP this year. Sounds like you and I had similar experiences. I'm a slow swimmer so I never expect too much and on the bike I went a little too hard the first lap and the second I was pretty well spent the last 10 miles or so going back into LP. The extra effort on the ride screwed me for the run other wise I would surely have cut my time a lot. I am doing it again in 08 and will have better prepared and hope to come in in the low 12's. Congrats again!
Steve
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed