Kansas City Women's Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 8s
Overall Rank = 16/305
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/64
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00, grabbed my things together, ate a mini-bagel with peanut butter on the way to the race. Did the usual body marking, chip-pickup, porta-potty stop, and set up my transition area (we had rows, but not individual spaces assigned). After that just hung out with Dave and some women from KC Multisport.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm-up. I just got in the water briefly to see what the temp was like and to get a few short warmup strokes in.
Swim
  • 11m 6s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was pretty average for me. Much better than last year, but I still have a ways to go. I tended to lose focus on my technique, and instead thought about where others were around me and navigation. Overall, I am happy with the time, though.
What would you do differently?:

Have better technique and keep my concentration!
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I tried to be as quick as I could in transition. Just threw my cap/goggles down, sunglasses, helmet, socks, shoes on, and out! Still took longer than I thought it should have.

Learn to jump on the bike. I ran across the mount line, stopped, put right leg over the top tube, clipped in that foot, and then took off. I really need to have my shoes already on there... it would have made all the difference with my bike split, I'm sure...
Bike
  • 30m 8s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I LOVED THIS BIKE!!! It was awesome! The plan for a long time leading up to this race had been to hammer the bike and see how fast I could do it. And I did. It felt so good, especially after Racine, where I did nothing but get passed.... I only got passed once on this whole course, by the person that won the whole thing, because she started behind me. Other than that I did all the passing. It was great!

I think I was aero for at least 90% of this ride. I really felt like a rockstar the whole time. What a great feeling. When I hit the turnaround at just under 15:00, I was so pumped because I knew there was a chance I could actually meet my 20mph goal.

Alas, I had to slow way down at one point for a pickup truck on the course. Due to the logistics, he couldn't move out of the way, and I was not about to pass and get DQ'ed for crossing a double yellow line, so I had to wait it out at the stop sign for him to move. That delay, and the lack of jumping on/off my bike at the transitions, probably made me lose those 8 seconds, but that's life. I am still incredibly proud of my riding today. I definitely felt the burn, and had (I think) the 10th fastest bike split overall.

It's funny... last year I had my fastest ride ever at this race, and the same thing happened again today. It was so much fun!!!! :)

Jump on and off the bike at transitions. Other than that, nothing. I gave it all I had!
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

T2 was fast for me. Since I came in so early on the bike, there was no problem getting my bike racked. I just put my helmet down, changed shoes super fast (I actually forgot to tighten my Yankz, and didn't notice till mile 2 of the run), grabbed my race # belt and took off.

Ride with feet on top of the shoes & jump off the bike.
Run
  • 27m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

This run went really well, considering that I've run only twice in the last month (including the Racine HIM) and both runs were around 12:00 miles. I've been worried about my Achillies, but it held out ok. It's tight now (12 hours after the race), but it got me to the finish line. :)

I paced myself off one girl on the way out, and then eventually passed her on the way back in. I thought I'd get passed a lot on the run, but I guess I was far enough ahead from the bike, and the extreme heat I think kept everyone's pace a little slower than usual. I definitely pushed myself, but not to the point of exhaustion. I tried to drink HEED at the aid stations, but never had it before, and thought it tasted like watered-down Vodka. (yuk! What is it with me and endurance drinks?) I ended up spitting it out. So I didn't drink very much at all on the run, but that's ok... it was only 3 miles, and I had drank a lot on the bike.

I was happy that I kept a consistent pace, and although I got passed twice, I passed two other women, so I kept my spot, and I ended up being the 18th person across the finish line. Because of the staggered swim start times, I actually finished 16/305 overall. woohoo!

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching, and just walked around and talked to my friends from KC Multisport. Drank a bottle of water and had a slice of pizza & a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A random pickup truck on the bike course and not jumping on & off the bike at transitions. Oh, yeah, and my lack of swim technique.

Event comments:

This is a very well-organized race, and I was happy to participate again. The only problem was that the results database got some people's ages messed up, so they are going to fix that and send out the AG awards later. I'm glad that they decided to do that, though, instead of handing them out incorrectly. I think that is very professional. I finished 6/64 or so in my AG... we'll have to wait and see how the final numbers end up, but I might have qualified for Age Group Nationals, so that would be pretty darn cool. Overall, this was a fanstastic race. I had such a good time, and have been on a high all day.

Last updated: 2007-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:06 | 500 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 0/305
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: clockwise triangular course w/a time trial start (1 person every 3 seconds)
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:08 | 10 miles | 19.91 mile/hr
Overall: 10/305
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:31 | 03.11 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Overall: 0/305
Performance: Good
Course: out and back on a partially shaded trail
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-11 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Kansas City Women's Triathlon

2007-08-12 7:19 AM
in reply to: #922440

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: RE: Kansas City Women's Triathlon
Awesome job! Congrats on the super fast bike.
2007-08-12 1:00 PM

User image

WOW! super fast bike! Way to go!
2007-08-12 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
Way to go Linda! I know how you can be a killer on the bike Great race...is this really the end of your season?

2007-08-12 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Wow-Awesome race Linda!! You were fast at everything and all your training from this summer has really paid off. Congratulations.
2007-08-12 7:13 PM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Yes, awesome race for you and great bike split.

2007-08-13 8:36 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Good race, girl! You definitely rocked it.
2007-08-13 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Holy Schmoley! Great bike and great race! Congrats on the fantastic placement in your AG!
2007-08-14 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

You didn't just feel like a rock star, you ARE a rock star!

Great race!  I mean, 16th place overall???  Wow.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Women's Triathlon Rss Feed