Set Up Events
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 57m 9s
Overall Rank = 16/364
Age Group = M30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 3/35
Pre-race routine:

Nothing was right today. I slept on my Training partners couch because he was about 10 min closer and we hung out the night before. I woke up at 5:30 and had a pop tart because his bread was moldy. I'm talking completely green moldy! Then stopped by the 7-11 and got a cup of coffee and a snickers marathon bar.

So from the start, it wasn't on.
Event warmup:

Talked to tons of people that I didn't even know were doing the race. My entire Masters swim group except for 2 people were doing it. Awesome!! Walked down to the start and put on my BT Issued Black Pearl wetsuit.
Swim
  • 30m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

From watching the other two waves, I knew it was going to be a bit of a wade to get to a point where you could swim. So instead of duck diving, I just walked out to where the water was above my waist. I found it funny that I was passing people duck diving to my left and right and they were wasting SO much more energy than I was.

Once I started swimming, I spotted the yellow turn buoy and headed for it. Others were going to my right and following the orange path to the turn buoy. Saved me a bit of swimming! I could tell that my left shoulder was a bit tight by the time I got to the first turn. I rounded the buoy and had fairly open water in front of me. There were about 4 or 5 of us pretty much side by side but with enough space that I don't think we were stealing each others water.

One guy came by me and I tried to catch his feet, but he was too quick. I kept my 5 stroke and sight routine and spotted the 2nd yellow turn buoy fairly far off. Once again, the orange buoy's were all over the place. As I headed for the 2nd turn the orange buoy prior to it was about 30 meters to my left so I kept my line. Then I went WAY off course.

The course was suppose to be a rectangle, but it was more of a triangle. I rounded the final turn and headed towards the shore and the sun. I couldn't see any buoy's but saw splashing on both sides of me up ahead. Then I saw a boat that I figured was marking the last buoy. I headed for that boat. A couple of minutes later, I looked around me and noticed that there was no splashing to my left. I looked right and I was WAY off course. The boat was anchored to the outside of the cove where we ending up in and I was heading right for it. I had to make a 45 degree turn to even come close to making it back to the buoy line and the shore line. With about 200 meters to go, I saw a break in the trees and figured it had to be the beach. I headed for that. When I realized I was right, I still had people cutting across me trying to head for the buoy line which was about 25 meters to the right of the "landing zone". It was a crazy swim.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better and wear tinted goggles. I chose to not wear them thinking that the sun would be behind the trees. I was wrong.
Transition 1
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

It was a long run to transition. The rocks were not that bad but it was hard running up the hill with loose sand and rocks. 5 min is a long time for your wetsuit to dry up and that makes it much harder to take off. I had some serious issues getting my bibs off because most of the water had beaded off.

Take my wetsuit off closer to the water when it's a long run to T1.
Bike
  • 2h 34m 33s
  • 58 miles
  • 22.52 mile/hr
Comments:

For the first time, I had an easy time getting my feet in my shoes while riding. The trick is holding the loop in the heel and then putting your foot in! I was feeling ok getting on the bike and was out by myself for a bit. Picked off a few people early and was humming along.

There was a drawbridge with metal grating that scares the hell out of me. So, knowing the course, I saw that there was concrete in the center of the bridge. The problem was that as I approached the bridge, a huge dump truck was coming up behind me. I took the initiative and put my bike in the middle of the road and went right down the center of the bridge. He passed me on the other side of the bridge and blew me over a bit. It was kinda freaky.

Then about mile 10 or so, someone comes by me. Who is it...my TP Chris who is a stud on the bike. He kinda glances over and smiles. I decide that I am not going to let him get away from me. So we play cat and mouse until about mile 45 or so. I never realized how uneven he rides. He would slow down and then speed up. Also, the LOOK 496 does not climb very well, but does everything else well. :P

We got onto Route 60 only to discover that the road crew that was putting the cones out was not done yet. So we had to go into the "traffic" lane and get around the truck putting out the cones for our lane. How's that for Ironic. Then Rob Vance comes along who is Chris' arch nemesis. We are all jockying for a while and then the funniest thing happens. As Rob rolls along side me, he says, "Not that I have a chance of catching him, but how far ahead is Chris?". I smiled because just then Chris was coming around him on the left. I said, "Look to your left". Then they both dropped the hammer and left poor old Dan in the dust. I felt really bad for the guy in my A/G that kept trying to put distance on us by speeding up and then we would swallow him up. He popped soon after that. I looked back and he was sitting up and softpedalling.

The last 10 miles I passed one or two people and was really hurting. For some reason, I couldn't keep any solid food down. I tried to eat my Hammer Bars and they would come right back up. The gel stayed down ok but that was a burping-fest. I know before I got dropped I was averageing 23.3 and ended up dropping to 22.4 over the last 10-15 miles. It was not the sign of a good race.

Plus, I think I took myself out mentally as well. When Chris came up on me, I wanted to keep him in sight and then run him down. Chris is WAY better than I am (9:54 IM) and he hasn't been training that much this year. So I figured him half trained and me fully trained, I'd have a chance. When I got dropped, it make it that much harder.

Realize that solid food was triggering my stomach issues and just stick with the gels at different intervals.

Stay in the game mentally.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Had a good T2. Consistant and steady. I feel like I'm in there so long, but my times say differently. My sunglasses came off with my helmet this time. That was a first.

Nothing. It was good overall.
Run
  • 1h 46m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this race was to have a good run. I needed to work on that and I felt that I could have a good one here. It was not to be. As I came into T2 off the bike, I saw Chris heading out. I figured he had about 2 min on me at this point. I can catch him I thought.

Went out at a controlled pace knowing that the heat was going to take it's toll on me. I got passed like I was standing still by a guy in my A/G just after the mile marker. I let him go because there was no way I could keep with him. Then another guy came by and I stayed with him for a bit and then I found myself struggling to keep pace. Next thing I know, he was out in front and gone. This was when things went from bad to worse. Around mile 4, the lead female came by. She is also sponsored by The Runners Source and she can usually put down a 1:30. I knew I had 6 min on her because she started 6 min in front of me (2 waves). I ran with her for a mile and then she dropped me. I wished her luck as I dropped off. I was struggling to keep my feet moving. I took a gel around mile 6 and it came back up fairly soon after that. I felt like I was barely moving. The miles came slowly but I was determined to not stop and walk.

I walked each aid staition knowing that I needed fluids or else I would drop like a stone. I also took an extra cup of water to get myself moving again by pouring it on my head. There were several moments where I could not have told you what mile I was on or if I was running in the right direction. I just kept my eyes in front and kept telling myself to not stop. I really don't remember miles 7 - 10. I remember thinking that I have a 5K left. I tried another gel at that point and it lasted about 1/4 mile. But on the good side, I can puke and still keep running!! That's good right?

with a mile to go, I saw a girl up ahead (mile 1 for her). Kinda squat down and look back towards the place she came from. When I got to within ear shot, I said, "I know you can do it, and YOU know you can do it. Now get going". We slapped hands and she headed off. I am certain that she finished.

The last mile was the longest mile ever! I knew where the finish line was, but it wasn't getting any closer. I could feel the heat building up on my skin and tunnel vision had come and gone several times. I just shook it off and willed my feet to keep moving. The finish line was such a nice sight. I knew that I had finished...not where I wanted to, but I finished. And then I dropped like a rock!

I don't know. Stay positive more and be smarter.
Post race
Warm down:

When I crossed the line, I took two steps looked the medal girl in the eye and collapsed. I rolled over onto my back and the world was spinning. My hands, feet, face and hamstrings were tingling. I heard them call for an EMT to come to the finish chute and then people were asking me my name and putting ice on me. I told them that I could walk, but they brought a stretcher and hauled me off. I never remember anyone taking my chip. I think it was best that they carried me off, I would have probably fallen down again.

I don't know how long I was in the Medical tent, but they did an awesome job. The kept asking me my name and where I lived. I kinda faded in and out but they were just great! Zipp1, I later found out, was one of the people that helped me. It was my first trip to the medical tent and I hope to not have to go back. After a while, the tingling went away and I was able to sit up. The said it was "Exercise induced collapse".

I say it was "Dumb Dan not paying attention to his body". Theirs sounds more scientific. Go figure.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think what I learned from this race is that you have to take what your body gives you that day. I have to look objectively at this race and realize that compared to last year, it was still a huge improvement. I also need to realize that my "bad" race is someone elses PR. I have been so lucky this year and fortunate enough to even be able to race as much as I have. I lost sight of that and I think Karma and my body needed to remind me that racing takes heart.

There will always be people that are faster than you. But what makes you a real athlete (triathlete in this case) is what you do when you're out there. I could have chosen to get all pissed off at the world and said F-U to people that said "Looking Good" or "You ran a great race". But that's not the point. I looked inside myself and not only found the energy to finish but I found the energy to say Thank You to encourage others and oh...I still finished well overall.

I forgot what is important and that is promoting the sport and being a great ambassador. Yes, times are important, but it's only part of the equation. Like I have told countless people when they say things like "I'm not in your league or it took me twice as long as you to finish". I tell them we all cross the same finish line. THAT is what counts. I need to listen to myself and be thankful that I crossed that finish line.

Event comments:

SetUp Events once again put on a GREAT race. They did everything they could and I think it was a well run event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/35
Overall: 27/364
Performance: Good
My HRM came off during the swim so I didn't have any good data.
Suit: BT Issued Black Pearl
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:34:33 | 58 miles | 22.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/35
Overall: 14/364
Performance: Average
149 avg 169 max
Wind: Headwind
Course: One big loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:46:22 | 13.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/35
Overall: 26/364
Performance: Below average
Very hot and just wasn't there. 7:14 (158/160), 7:17 (159/161), 7:34 (158/160), 8:12 (158/161), 7:26 (158/160), 8:32 (157/158), 8:12 (157/159), 7:43 (157/159), 8:57 (156/159), 7:43 (154/157), 8:38 (155/159), 8:50 (155/159), 9:56 (155/159)
Course: 4 miles on the Colonial Parkway, then into the back roads and back onto the Parkway. Little shade and 92 degrees.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-12 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Patriot's Half 2007

2007-09-12 1:43 PM
in reply to: #961390

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Subject: RE: Patriot's Half 2007
Dan,

Sounds like you had a decent race considering all of the nutrition problems you had! Good job sticking with it and finishing...even though it may not have been the smartest thing to do medically!
2007-09-12 2:51 PM
in reply to: #961942

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Seems alot of us learned a few things racing this year.  Great effort considering. Even better attitude towards the outcome.

I'm thinking maybe you should have tried the moldy bread. Couldn't have been much worse

2007-09-12 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I think you nailed it perfectly when you found it in you to finish, even though you weren't feeling good at all.  You came across with a great attitude and even were able to encourage others!  I think that's tremendous!  Cool

Now I hope whatever the problem was you have sorted out for Clearwater!

2007-09-12 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
It was a tough day out there and hey you finished and did so in an impressive time. I had the same sighting issues on the swim, I have been telling myself for months to buy some tinted goggles, but have not. I would suggest for the next race to let Chris eat the molded bread it will help you beat him. Just a thought. .
2007-09-12 3:27 PM
in reply to: #962176

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Man, off day and still busts out a 4:57 in a HIM!!

And the first flat-on-face at the end of a race.  You didn't even do that at WI.

Congrats on having an off day and still busting out a podium in your AG, that rocks!!

Killer swim as well.

2007-09-13 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

If you can puke your way through a tri and still end up on the podium...what chance do the rest of us  mere mortals have?!?!?! LOL

Seriously, congrats on a great mental race. Physically you may not have felt good, and you may have been disappointed in your times, but to complete a race under those conditions is a major accomplishment. True grit!!

Edited by kriscrn 2007-09-13 8:14 AM
2007-09-13 10:29 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Great race report, Dan! It was really encouraging to read about how you ploughed through and kept a phenomenal attitude. (And way to puke and rally--it sucks, but definitely better from tri'ing than from Budweiser!) Sorry you ended up in the med tent passing out on Judi (zipp1)--but hey, she's an amazing woman with some mindblowing perseverance herself.

Most of all though--thanks for passing it on.

2007-09-13 2:08 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
We have talked already so you know how I feel about your race. Like I said not bad for a "C" race.
2007-09-13 5:26 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Nice job
2007-09-13 9:11 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Incredible race, I am amazed at the fact that you not only finished but made the podium feeling that bad. 

Glad to put my (many) years of ER nursing to bat for a race.  They had some gadgets I had never seen before but I'm usually behind the ambulance bay and not the one out in the field

2007-09-15 9:54 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Dan:

Nice race - not all races can be PR's you've had an outstanding season -- more to come!! Heat and humidity take the tolls!! Keep focused...

C U in October!!

Michelle
2007-09-17 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Congrats on finishing in the top 3 and continuing to be an ambassador of this sport.  Your attitude is contagious, so keep on sharing it with us mere mortals! 

-Leslie

2007-09-18 2:40 PM
in reply to: #968115

Expert
Atlanta, GA
A 'bad race' and still found the podium?! Nice job brother!

I think you learned a lot out there

Tony
2009-05-04 6:37 PM

User image

NoVA
I don't know if you'll read this, as it's REALLY old, but I'm contemplating this race as my first HIM so I read your race report.  I have to tell you... this statement you wrote means a lot:

Like I have told countless people when they say things like "I'm not in your league or it took me twice as long as you to finish". I tell them we all cross the same finish line.

That is what is so fantastic about this sport.   That people like YOU have that attitude.   You're not holier than thou... and you inspire the rest of us that will likely never have the finishing times that you do.   But it doesn't matter, because we all cross the same finish line.

Bravo.  And thank you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Half 2007 Rss Feed