General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Lakes Trail Loppet Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

City of Lakes Trail Loppet - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
City of Lakes Nordic Ski Foundation
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 50s
Overall Rank = 57/95
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

Had a couple pieces of PB toast and a big cup of coffee. Was able to avoid using porta potties since the race was just a few miles from my house. Walked out the door only 35 minutes before the start. :)
Event warmup:

Jogged for a few minutes and then did some active stretching.
Run
  • 2h 07m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

As with a lot of these small local races, the start was very informal. We were informed that there was going to be some obstacles on the course due to the storm that had rolled through on Thursday evening but that the course was generally in good condition.

I started out going fairly easy knowing that there would be plenty of opportunity to turn it on later in the race. That turned out to be a good decision since it got tough very quickly and stayed that way. Within the first half mile, we were on singletrack along a creek and had to do some interesting technical work to try to avoid running in the creek. Following that section was a serious hill. Nothing like a quad burning, HR maxing challenge in the first mile. About mile 3, a group of us found ourselves off course due to some really, really poor marking. I lost at least a couple of minutes there and covered some extra distance. Fortunately, a volunteer was coming through with extra flags to mark the turnoff more clearly. In the process of that I hooked up with an older gentleman and he and I hung together for the next 3 miles or so. Miles 4 - 6 were relatively uneventful with some easier singletrack and some paved path sections. I hit the 10K mark at about 1:01 and thought that I might be able to hit my previous trail half mary mark of 2:04:30. Mile 7 took us back offroad onto more MTB singletrack. These were smaller hills but again it was up and down constantly and pretty technical. Lots of roots and rocks to negotiate. After a brief paved section we were on broad, muddy MTB trails for another half mile until some very interesting singletrack near "bare-ass beach" - a frequent spot for the naturists but none were out today. From this point - about 1:20 on, it was a pretty lonely run. I left behind a pack at the aid station and didn't catch the pack in front of me 'til the last half mile. OK, back to the course. At one point, there was a tree that had fallen over some stairs and it required a 3 foot jump up over the tree and on to the stairs. The next 1.5 miles was a lot more hilly singletrack and then hilly dirt trails. I passed one woman in red and said, "Isn't this course a trip?". She said, "I've never felt like this! Marathons are easier than this!" Back past the same aid station meant there was a little more than 3 miles left. We were routed over to the snow tubing hill which meant the biggest hills of the day. Thank God this was the last of the monster hills but I was really starting to feel the effects on my legs. Most of the little tweaks and cramps had come and gone but the fatigue was setting in for good, especially in my hip flexors. After clearing the tubing hills we were sent into the woods for the wildest trails of the day. They were little more than wildlife trails and were essentially like just running through the middle of the woods. A good portion of this was on a hillside and it was a challenge to get a good foot plant without either slipping or feeling like you might turn your ankle. I think sections like this favor me since I feel pretty light on my feet. I keep my cadence high and pick my spots hit them with quick light steps. While it was really taxing, I LOVED this section of the course and was just flying through the woods. The last 1.5 miles or so was on paved trail and I could start hearing the finish line announcer. This was definitely the toughest portion of the race. I was hurting and was having trouble just picking up my legs with my hip flexors totally sapped. I spotted the older gentleman I'd run with earlier ahead and used him as my rabbit - I almost caught him, too. He finished only 15 seconds ahead of me.
What would you do differently?:

I'd have trained better. The last few weeks have been pretty light between tapering for my HIM and the subsequent ankle tweak. Fortunately, the ankle felt pretty good and I'm glad to be back running fairly quickly.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt like I might puke for a little bit but that passed pretty quickly, thank goodness. Got some water and milled around a bit before going back to my car to stretch and drink my Recoverite. Went home and took an ice bath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Course difficulty

Event comments:

I love these small races and I love trail running. A perfect combo! Race tee was a nice black long sleeved tee with only the race's very cool logo on the front. No sponsor crap. Niiiiiiice.

Last updated: 2007-09-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:50 | 13.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 57/95
Performance: Average
Course: Trails around Theodore Wirth Park. A lot of dirt singletrack. Hills, hills, hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-23 2:39 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: City of Lakes Trail Loppet Half Marathon

Edited by Matchman 2007-09-23 2:40 PM

2007-09-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #975728

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana
Subject: RE: City of Lakes Trail Loppet Half Marathon

Nice 1/2 mary...I did my first one ever today. We almost could have ran together, but you beat me by 3 minutes

Way to go.

2007-09-23 8:20 PM
in reply to: #975775

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race Tom!  That area is hilly, so I can imagine it was difficult.  Running in the woods was nice on this hot Fall day, I am sure.  Glad your ankle is feeling better too.
2007-09-23 9:30 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Nice job Tom.
2007-09-24 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Nice race! Congrats!
2007-09-24 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
You rock.  You make me want to do that.  See?  "this is much harder than a marathon"  So, it is as if you already did a marathon.  My logic is so cool.

2007-09-24 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Hip flexors...yeah, I know the feeling.  Nice work though, the course sounds like a blast!!!  I love trail running!!  Now you need to do a trail mary, and then next year come do Sunmart with us!  Nice race, keep up the trail running!!!!
2007-09-25 12:54 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Nice race Tom.  Sounds like a tough one...

I may have to try it next year...let's see...the effort of a marathon WITHOUT spending 4+ hours on the course...I could dig that! 

2007-09-25 1:09 PM
in reply to: #978476

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
sparco - 2007-09-25 12:54 PM

Nice race Tom.  Sounds like a tough one...

I may have to try it next year...let's see...the effort of a marathon WITHOUT spending 4+ hours on the course...I could dig that! 

For a stud like you, prolly not so tough. It is a super fun race, though. Certainly more interesting than, say, the Fargo Marathon.

2007-09-25 1:19 PM
in reply to: #978521

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

For a stud like you, prolly not so tough. It is a super fun race, though. Certainly more interesting than, say, the Fargo Marathon.

Yeah, but they have lots of COWBELL up in Fargo!

th6764319_m-1.gif picture by salparco

2007-09-26 6:14 AM

User image

Elite
Nice job Tom.  Iwasn't aware it was so much off trail running.  You could easily smash 2 hours in a flat 1/2.  Great job and glad things went well for you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Lakes Trail Loppet Half Marathon Rss Feed