Setup
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 3s
Overall Rank = 21/94
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Slept in until 5:30 as the race did not start until 9:00. I was so excited to finally have race day here - it was my goal all year to qualify for this race and here I was racing against a group of really fast competitors. Ate 2 cliff bars and had a gatorade 3 hours before the race and a gu 30 minutes before the race.

Watched the woman start the swim. The format was really interesting - top 3 overall finishers get cash prizes and they let the woman have a 14 minute head start to "equalize" the race.
Event warmup:

Jumped on the bike and rode 3 miles, swam for a few hundred yards to get some water in the wetsuit and check the goggles. Could tell from warm up that my stroke and bike felt good.
Swim
  • 15m 46s
  • 1450 yards
  • 01m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was pretty excited to swim. I knew that this race had 8-10 really good swimmers and this would be the best competition I have faced this year. Rob Jones, a guy I have looked up to/looked forward to swimming all year was in the race and there were 2 other swimmers who had been out of the water 1st at just about every race they had entered this year. Rob is simply a stud at OWS and was first out of 2400 (including pros) people at an IM a few years ago.

I lined up right in front and was off at the sound of the start. Within 200 yards 6 of us broke from the pack and were off. I settled into 4th around the 300 yard mark and noticed the top 3 were starting to pull away and that the 5th and 6th place guys were dropping off. I knew I could not keep up the pace Rob was going for the entire swim and decided to just draft as long as I could. I was either going to blow up in this race or make it through and decided to just trust my training.

Somewhere around the 600-700 yard mark I dropped back from the top 3 and decided to keep pushing even though I did not have anyone to draft off of. Sighting went as well as it has all year. With about 200 yards left I checked back and noticed the 5th place guy was still with me. I sped up to make sure I had a clean run through transition and put a little extra time on him.
What would you do differently?:

Not much - this was as fast as I have been all year. Course description said it was 1500M but talk after the race said it was 1450 yards.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Good T1 - my HR was sky high coming out the swim and breathing was very labored. Uphill run out of the water did not help. Looking at my time/place, I was very happy as I seemed to stick close with the leaders which is all I wanted to do.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 13m 10s
  • 25.9 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was so much fun. It was really hilly and had a few stretches where the wind was crazy but it also had stretches where you could just hammer.

I came out of T1 breathing very heavy and wanted to make sure I got my HR under control quickly. Within 2 miles I felt somewhat better and decided to start working the downhills and let them propel me up the uphills. This worked well as no one passed me for a the first 6 miles and I was able to keep cranking and not drop gear very often. Cadence was around 100, higher than my normal 95, but it felt right so I went with it.

Around mile 6 I ran into the first of what I knew was 4 larger hills. I tried to keep my power even and just spin up the hill. I did get up the hill without too much energy expended. By this point I was passing a lot of the woman and just saying good luck or looking good or something else encouraging. I have found that this helps take my mind off the race pain and hopefully helps them as well.

I knew I was entering the fun part of the course - downhill! There is a slight decline for a good 3-4 miles straight and I hammered it. Speed was 27-31 for this whole stretch - such a good feeling to be flying like that.

I saw a bridge up ahead which meant that the uphill was coming. I was flying along, cleared the trees and all of a sudden was blasted by a cross wind. I have only had my disk/hed3 combo for a few races and have not run into a wind like this. I felt my front wheel start to lift off the ground , stopped pedaling and eased across the bridge. Talk about adrenaline - 27 mph and wheel lift across a bridge! Made it up the hill, made the second right hand turn of the race and knew the hard part was coming.

Up the big hill. I spun it, did not try to hammer it and held 13 mph which I was pretty happy with. Cadence stayed above 90.

After the big hill you start a slow and steady climb. At this point I saw 2 guys drafting big time. They passed me and the second guy just stayed within a foot of the first guy and they rotated who would go first every 2-3 minutes. I told them they were drafting and they just ignored me. Ironically the one guys bike said "fueled by god" which made me laugh considering he was the worst drafter I have ever seen. They passed me and then slowed down. I was pissed so I hammered by them. A few minutes later a different group of 2 went by me clearly drafting - what is going on here!? I hammered back up in front of them as they slowed down on a somewhat steep uphill. I actually think the whole drafting thing helped me a lot as I was soooo pissed this was happening I averaged 22-23 uphill for a few miles straight. Eventually both groups of drafters passed me though I did keep them in site most of the bike.

The last few miles of the bike were painful as I was spent and I was really looking forward to getting off the bike and running.

Nothing - no regrets. Avg speed was good for a course like this.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Lost 10-15 seconds to most of the fasties in T2 - need to get speed laces.

Need to use my speedlaces next year.
Run
  • 44m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off the run passing a bunch of people and then found some open space. Felt surprisingly good considering how hard I hit the run and bike.

Around mile 1 I was passed by Robert Christman (he won the VA series for my AG) and knew I was having a great race. He is an ok swimmer and very strong, biker/runner. I thought I was in third at this point but knew that there were 2-3 guys that should be close based off of our times/places in the various series.

I passed a few guys and was passed by a few in the first loop but not by anyone in my AG. The crowd support was really great and numerous people shouted/offered encouragement. At the end of the first loop in particular there were tons of people yelling/encouraging you to catch the person ahead of you.

At the final turn around (mile 4.5) I saw a group of 4 guys about a 100 yards back - crap - where did they come from? They were all gaining on me and one had an IM cap on. Down the hill I kept my cadence high and up the hill I pushed it. I grabbed my final cup of water and dumped it over my head. As a bonus I was 3 of 3 in getting cups into trash cans which put a smile on my face. :)

I kept glancing over my shoulder for the rest of the race and 1 of the guys was clearly coming for me. For some reason I saw a big smiley face on the run course a this point and this made me think of how lucky I was to be racing on such a nice day and how I wished my other BT friends and triathlete friends were here to race with me. It made me happy just realizing how far I had come in my first year and the friendships I had made and what the future could hold. This gave me a quick adrenaline shot and I picked up the pace. Another quick glance showed me the other 3 had not made up any time. About 150 yards out I took one final look back and the one guy was really close by now. I went into an all out sprint and made it across the finish line 2 seconds ahead of him and then had to grab my knees as I felt like I was going to be sick. That really hurt.

Nothing - I was running scared the whole time which is when I am at my best. I did not want to get passed.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much - got to the shade and just sat. Had a little water, gatorade, and some sweet/salty food but stomach was not doing well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still first year of doing tri's and I need more miles on both the bike and run. I was truthfully thrilled just to be at this race as it was my goal all year to qualify for this race. The fact that I was able to beat the 4th place guy in my AG in the VA triathlon series by 8 minutes showed me that I have made a lot of progress. He beat me by 3 minutes just 2.5 months earlier on a very similar course.

Event comments:

Fun race and great end to the season. A special thanks to all those that have supported me/believed in me and been my sounding board this season. I am lucky to have friends like all of you.

Last updated: 2007-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:46 | 1450 yards | 01m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 4/94
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra full
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:10 | 25.9 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 41/94
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Rolling with 4 steep climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:35 | 06.21 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 34/94
Course: Hilly double loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-21 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Setup Championship Invitational

2007-10-21 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1017908

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Setup Championship Invitational
Congratulations on both a great race and a fantastic season!!  3rd in your AG!  Wow!  And you held off someone who beat you earlier.  Great way to end the year. 
2007-10-21 9:04 PM

Was happy to be one of your believers.  Great season closer.  OOO Tink
2007-10-21 9:28 PM

User image

Pro
Reston
Nice race!  A great way to end your season...  well, your tri season.  We of course still have that "kick the green team's @ss" thing to do in a few weeks. 
2007-10-22 6:15 AM
in reply to: #1017945

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Even though you are a red team member, I can say AWESOME JOB!

Your swim is just so kick as$ I don't even have anything else to say... Your bike has come so far... In 6 months you raised your speed 4mph (fm a sprint to a really hard Oly course).. The run you improved 2 mins/mile (again from a sprint to a really hard Oly distance course).

The potential you have for next year is incredible. It will be so much fun to be there watching/cheering/coaching/racing as you pursue all of your goals next season. I just love watching you race... because nobody I have ever met leaves it all out there on the course like you, just like you did at this race.

And if I am lucky.... Maybe I can keep up with you at swim practice

2007-10-22 7:31 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
great job out there!  sounds like you raced a smart race and left everything out on the course.  you're gonna do awesome next year!

2007-10-22 8:11 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
great season and great race, Dan!!  am one of the lucky ones who will be able to say "we knew him back when...."  You get better and better each race.  Big things for you next year.  Next year.  Not the remainder of this year.  Like December 8th. 
2007-10-22 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome job!!

Loved your RR, how you execute your race, compete against others using them to push yourself and adjust.

Amazing you have come so far in a year....I look forward to watching your progress in your second year and seeing you up at LP in July. 

Congrats! 

2007-10-22 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Awesome race....I was out there too and that was a pretty tough course.  Judging by your time, the only time I may have seen you was at the start of the swim.  Great job!
2007-10-22 8:52 AM

User image

Sweet race. Seems like you took the swim out really hard....lol. Nice hills on the bike...hills are your friend....good little hills....Did you do the divac hook shot on the water tossing? You got to fit that in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2007-10-22 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA
AWESOME!!!  Way to crank it out!

2007-10-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1018242

User image

Pro
Reston

newleaf - 2007-10-22 9:11 AM great season and great race, Dan!!  am one of the lucky ones who will be able to say "we knew him back when...."  You get better and better each race.  Big things for you next year.  Next year.  Not the remainder of this year.  Like December 8th. 

you knew him back when he kicked your butt all over the Jingle 10K course, you green team sissy.

2007-10-23 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1018969

Champion
South Jersey

Great race to end a great season .

You are a STUD in the water. Smokin' fast. Nice work .

You had an awesome bike split, and handled the hills excellently. That really sucks about the drafters; I absolutely hate when I see that on the course. It's so hard not to let it bother you, but you did a great job racing your own race.

And, way to hang on during the run! Oh, and congrats on going 3 for 3. (I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that .) You definitely hung tough on the run and finished strong. You surely gave it all you had .

Great job. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to follow you next season !!!

2007-10-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1018969

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
3558 - 2007-10-22 3:42 PM

newleaf - 2007-10-22 9:11 AM great season and great race, Dan!! am one of the lucky ones who will be able to say "we knew him back when...." You get better and better each race. Big things for you next year. Next year. Not the remainder of this year. Like December 8th.

you knew him back when he kicked your butt all over the Jingle 10K course, you green team sissy.

dude, you are following me over BT.  Am starting to get a little concerned.  oh, and red team sucks. 

Z
2007-10-24 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Great race, congratulations! I wish i could bike better!
2007-10-25 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Looks like you had a great race to cap a stellar first season!  Congratulations!   Hopefully, I'll see you next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Setup Championship Invitational Rss Feed