Space Coast Runners
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 59m 4s
Overall Rank = 241/352
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/21
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:00 am. Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a yogurt. And coffee. Gwen and Caroline drove me to the race site.
Event warmup:

Porta-potty line, what else??? A little walking.
Run
  • 4h 59m 4s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I screwed this up. I trained for a flat course and I really expected a flat course. So when I hit hills almost right away I didn't think much of it, just that each hill would be the last. And I continued to think that way for most of the first 1/2 of the mary. I had my heart set on a time and I pushed to keep my goal pace...and completely fried myself out in the process. At about 8 miles I realized I'd better slow down a little, so I did that and walked the last couple of uphills. I felt done already, and I still had 18 miles to go. At the halfway point I was fighting tears. I have never wanted to quit a race so badly. I looked at my watch and was around 2:07, which really wasn't horrible, so I told myself to suck it up and try to pull at least a respectable race. And I did try pretty hard, but the negative thoughts just crowded in. At hot and tired and sore as I was, I think I blew this race in my mind before my body gave out. Knowing that I wasn't going to make either my stated OR unstated goal just sapped my motivation and I kept catching myself walking. It was horribly humid too...when we started water was dripping off the trees like rain. Then it got pretty hot. I think I heard 78, or something. Not horrible, but I'm from Wisconsin!

Coming up to the end you run into a park, then around under this gazebo kind of thing. I saw the clock at 4:59:48 and I thought "oh hell NO, I am not going over 5 hours" and I picked up the pace considerably, as close to a full out sprint as I could manage right then. When I was just about to cross the finish line I heard "say hi to Auntie Cindy" and there was Gwen and Caroline!!!! I didn't know they were coming, and I was SOOOO happy to see them.
What would you do differently?:

Train hills, then slow down on them.
Post race
Warm down:

Wander over to grab a half bagel, then find a bench.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Painful feet. I've had fascitis through most of this training, then to top it off my soaking wet socks gave me a few beautiful blisters.

Heat and humidity...couldn't control that.

My own stupidity. I knew I was going too hard but I wanted to stick to my plan too much. I should have gone to plan B when I realized plan A wasn't working.

Event comments:

As much as I had a lousy run, this is really a nicely done race. The pre-race dinner was at the Radisson hotel, so it was good. It was fabulously organized, and there was enough spaceman style hype to make it fun without being overkill. The race started with a huge TV showing a sort of montage historical space video clips set to music, and the RD "counting down to takeoff". The aid stations were run by local cross country teams, and there was a $500 prize for the best space-themed station. It could have used at least one more aid station on each side of the course but really wasn't too bad. Overall, this was a nicely done smallish race (1500 entrants total, most of them did the 1/2). I was planning to swear off marathons for my feet's sake...until Gwen said "I'd like to do one of these." So I may be doing it next year :)

Last updated: 2007-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
04:59:04 | 26.2 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/352
Performance: Bad
Course: The description on the web site says "mostly shaded flat course". Yeeeah. It was mostly shaded, depending on the time of morning (or-ahem-early afternoon :( ) I don't know about that flat thing. The first half of the mary was rollers.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-28 9:33 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: Space Coast Marathon

2007-11-29 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1073198

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Space Coast Marathon

Sure is tough to change your game plan when you hit the unexpected.  While you didn't hit your goal, under 5 is still a pretty awesome time!

And isn't it funny how both of us keep thinking that "just this last one!" and we'll be finally done with marathons??

Great job -- and sounds like you had a fun time, which is more important, anyway!

2007-12-04 6:42 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Congratulations for getting across the line and sticking it out, even when you wanted to quit.

I am intimately familiar with that feeling. I sympathize.Frown

So, when's the next one?

Heh. I know you.  

2007-12-05 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
A little unexpected set back with the hills, but still .... a sub-5 hour run is pretty nice in my book.  Congratulations!!!!
2007-12-10 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
How did I miss this.  I was looking forward to your results.  Very good to go sub 5 with the adversity you had to deal with!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Space Coast Marathon Rss Feed