General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter prep--running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-19 6:42 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Winter prep--running

I know its kind of early...but I like to be on top of things. Just wondering if anyone has tips of what equiptment/apparel to buy for running outdoors in winter? I'm planning on doing the Vancouver half-marathon next may and am going to need to spend some time running outside this winter because I will not make it through a full winter of the treadmill. I live in Edmonton, AB and am thinking I will run outside in temps down to -15 celcius.

2009-08-19 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2359029

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Subject: RE: Winter prep--running
I think you can do a search for a more extensive list, but here are my fundamentals:

wicking layer (top and bottom)
fleece top
outer shell (windproof-type layer)
windproof pants
long socks
balaklava or buff
warm hat
light gloves under fleece mittens
duct tape

this combo has gotten me thru a 10 mile run down to 10 degrees with wind chill. and I was still not cold at the end.  The hardest for me to keep warm is my toes and the duct tape helps some.  I may try those chemical toe warmers this winter.

Remember to drink plenty of fluids.  You sweat waaayyyy more than you think you will.
2009-08-19 8:22 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I was stuck running with ^^^ that trouble maker last winter.

My favorite pair of running pants for cold weather are made by Sporthill and can be seen here at Mile Marker Sports they also have great tops for winter, I just don't know if there are issues shipping to Canada:

http://milemarkersports.com/product.php?TypeID=2100&gender=m

There expensive but work well and last a long time.  I have three pairs and probably won't need to buy another pair for several years.  For hydration I would carry a fanny pack with a bottle of water with a screw off top, as sports bottles, cambelbaks, etc seem to freeze once were into the teens (F) or below.  Trail shoes with some type of water resistant or waterproof type material seem to keep the feet a bit warmer then your normal airy running shoes.  I've never had to do the duct tape on the shoes but will consider it this winter.  If things get icy I've been real happy with these:

http://www.surefoot.net/products_details.php?cat=89&prod=7

Good luck

2009-08-19 8:32 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Ah, winter running. The best time of the year :-) I live in MN, so I see temps in the winter that range from 30 to -30. My necessities are:

sport bra
shimmel
long sleeve (lighter weight/regular weight)
heavier weight long sleeve
lightweight jacket
tights
compression shorts
socks
hat
gloves
gaiter

With all of that, I can combine as I need to. If it's 30, I may only need a long sleeve and tights and hat. If it's -30, I may go shimmel, heavy long sleeve, jacket, gaiter, compression shorts, tights, hat, etc.

ETA: I also like trail shoes in the winter, if it gets really snowy. :-)

I do all my shopping at www.runningwarehouse.com

Edited by mmrocker13 2009-08-19 8:33 PM
2009-08-19 8:34 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
In the past I have run in temps down to -35C (and also around -30C with windchill); my wife bought a treadmill so that gets used now when the temp or windchill goes below about -20C but this is what I use:

* regular shoe with thicker sock - I really like x-country ski socks for winter running
* tights - I have two different pairs but the windproof ones I really only use below -10C
* underwear - windproof!
* long sleeve wicking top
* wind proof jacket (breathable)
* x-country ski gloves
* balaclava - I have three different weights depending on the day
* wind proof hat/power dry toque

Almost all of my outdoor running gear I purchased at MEC over the years; it is hard to beat their prices and the MEC branded gear works really well.

Good luck, with the right gear, winter running is great!

Shane
2009-08-19 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2359156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

gir1with1nose - 2009-08-19 8:08 PM I think you can do a search for a more extensive list, but here are my fundamentals:

wicking layer (top and bottom)
fleece top
outer shell (windproof-type layer)
windproof pants
long socks
balaklava or buff
warm hat
light gloves under fleece mittens
duct tape

this combo has gotten me thru a 10 mile run down to 10 degrees with wind chill. and I was still not cold at the end.  The hardest for me to keep warm is my toes and the duct tape helps some.  I may try those chemical toe warmers this winter.

Remember to drink plenty of fluids.  You sweat waaayyyy more than you think you will.

I have come to prefer winter running to summer running and will run in temps down to -45C (-49 F). I use similar layers as above, but have never tried duct tape! I use the Running Rooms winter socks which are heavier but still wick away and do not have issues with cold toes  - which did surprise initially.  This past winter I got re-usable chemical warmers called Emerald Sun for my hands and I LOVE them. I also use grippers on my runners sometimes to prevent slipping.

2009-08-19 8:44 PM

User image

I live in new england and ran all alst winter outside despite a very cold and snowy winter preping for the Boston marathon.  I recomend:
-long sleeve moisture wicking shirt
-gloves...sometimes I wore gloves with mittens over them
-fleece.. a good feece and a moisture wicking shirt took me on most my runs even down to negative fareinhiet.....layering is key
-hat..mine was moisture wicking by nike
-gator for neck and can pull up over nose on really cold/a nd or windy days
-pants...i had some warmer under armour tights and somtimes I layered loose running pants with running tights.
-wool socks...sometimes I layered
-also yak traks for snowy days to put over your sneaks
-oh and chapstick

2009-08-20 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2359156

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

balaklava or buff

LOL Smile

I read that as "baklava."  I'm Greek, give me a break!

When I looked up balaklava, I ended up in the Ukraine.

But I finally found it and now I want one!  I plan on running outside all winter too.

2009-08-20 9:52 AM

Ugh, this thread is making me depressed... I HATE winter.
2009-08-20 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2359996

User image

Champion
jdevito20 - 2009-08-20 8:52 AM Ugh, this thread is making me depressed... I HATE winter.

I hate winter too...But I have decided that as I am stuck in Edmonton for another 4 yrs (because Calgary was my other option and they have the same winter as we do--more or less) that I should just suck it up and get used to it...and running indoors on the UofA track and treadmills all the time is too boring to get me to run enough to train for a half marathon next May. I will save the track and treadmill for the -45C days...brrrrrrr....

So essentially what I am gathering from everyone is that I need to invest in 2 bottom layers (base layer and wind resistant winter running pants) and 3 top layers (base layer, long sleeve mid-layer, wind resistant outer layer) plus all the extra bakalava, toque, mitts, socks, etc..

I guess its a good thing that the bank and government are just throwing money at me...its not "real" money, but for all intensive purposes I will pretend that its real and say that I am going to be a healthy doctor...$$$...and I need new runners too...haha...I have some of the above pieces...but I seems to have all the cheapest pieces...
2009-08-20 10:45 AM

Brave soul,

In northern PA when the winters get that cold and wind chill colder, I still don't like to over dress. I like the wicking base layer, a cotton layer, and my Sugoi wind/water cold wx jacket, light bavacala with an open top fleece winter hat, smartwool socks, mizuno gloves or mittens. Really, everything at that temp depends on the wind. Everything goes up incrementally when its colder. I use Aquaphor on the face and lips and wear glasses when that cold too. Keep warm...NB

2009-08-20 11:01 AM

User image

alexandria, VA
i grow a beard over the winter and it saves me from getting a face mask or balaclava. 
2009-08-20 11:04 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I trained for my first marathon all through last winter - all outdoors. The worst run temp-wise was my (only) 20-mile run - it was 15 degrees when I started. It warmed up to 23 by the time I'd finished - and the wind was crazy. Another long run I can remember - it was probably 25 degrees and sleeting... and a guy taking down his Christmas lights commented as I ran by that I was crazy to be out in this cold running, he was not really joking, he was pretty serious. Thanks, buddy!

Everyone has given all of the items I would have recommended - I think you are good to go.

Just wanted to throw in some encouragement - you can do it - it's fun!
2009-08-20 9:58 PM

Excellent! All of the accessories we got to go dog sledding a couple of years ago will help me to run through the winter-I never really considered it,(live in Iowa) but now I am.  Thanks for the inspiration!
2009-08-20 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
chapstick.... lots and lots of chapstick.
2009-08-20 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
Not much I can add to the list. When it gets really cold I have one of those toques with the holes for the eyes and mouth. I'm pretty low tech!

I live in E-town too, and run year round. - 30 C is my cut off, but I have run in colder just because I can't stand being inside on the hamster wheel. You will get used to the cold. Winter running is awesome!!! Mind you I was tired of the long winter we had this past year.

If you're at the UofA, head down into the river valley. Lots of beautiful well maintained trails and you're usually protected from the wind.

Enjoy. If you're looking for the occasional run buddy, shoot me a PM.

jman

2009-08-20 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
One day when I have a spare $2-3k, I want to go run the North Pole Marathon!

http://www.npmarathon.com/
2009-08-21 6:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-21 10:15 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Are you following a training plan?  When does it start and what is the "long run" in those first couple weeks?  You may find that most of your winter running is 5-10Km (since you're in Canada, Eh?) so 30-60 minutes give or take.  You may find you slow down a little if it's icy or snowy.  It really doesn't take much for relatively short runs in the winter.  I have a wind jacket that I can't really wear unless it's <-10C or I'll overheat.  Less than an hour and I rarely take food or water with me. 

Get some long-sleeve shirts in various weights.  Thin for 0-15C, Thick for -10-0C.  Below -10C or in the wind, add a shell to either the thin or thick shirt as your comfort dictates.  Same thing with tights/windpants.  I have a nylon shell or thin tights that I wear -5 to +5C (usually shorts above +5C).  I have a thicker pair of tights for -15--5C.  Below -15C and I'll probably put on the thin tights plus the nylon pants.  Decent wool socks and shoes big enough for your feet plus the socks.  I wear the cheap knit gloves ($1-2) from -5-+5C.  I have some Manzella windblocker gloves if it's colder or windy and some performance fleece gloves if it's <-15C.  I usually wear either a running hat (baseball style(-5-+10C) or cheap knit hat (-15--5C).  Sometimes, I wear a knit headband to protect my ears.  I do have a balaclava, but haven't had too many days where it was cold enough to use it. 

Lip balm and maybe some lotion on your face and then generous lotion on the lower legs after the run. 

Sunglasses during the daytime or clear safety glasses at night to keep my eyes from watering. 

High-vis vest AND active lighting (headlamp and/or blinky red LED) since you'll be running in conditions that other people/drivers aren't expecting runners. 

2009-08-21 10:46 AM

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
It's been mentioned, but again, dress to be a little too cold at the start. You'll be a bit cool for the first 5 minutes and then much more comfortable for the next hour or whatever. Also, if you find yourself getting too warm when it's cold out, besides opening up layers you can simply slow down too. Try to avoid sweating too much, especially if you may have to slow down while still outside. If there's wind, try to run into it at first and with it coming home.
2009-08-21 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2362246

Champion
McFuzz - 2009-08-21 9:15 AM

Are you following a training plan?  When does it start and what is the "long run" in those first couple weeks?  You may find that most of your winter running is 5-10Km (since you're in Canada, Eh?) so 30-60 minutes give or take.  You may find you slow down a little if it's icy or snowy.  It really doesn't take much for relatively short runs in the winter.  I have a wind jacket that I can't really wear unless it's <-10C or I'll overheat.  Less than an hour and I rarely take food or water with me. 

I haven't figured out the nitty gritty of when I am starting the training plan yet. I'm just finishing off a tri in 2 weeks and I will plan it out further once that is finished. The thing about winter in Edmonton is winter means anything from october-april...it can snow and be below -20C at anytime in there...

I will just assume from past experience that winter will be like pretty much every other winter and the average temperature is probably going to be below -10C at all times  for a few months...But yes, I am assuming the long runs in the beginning are 5-10km...but the longer runs >10km's are going to be COLD!

2009-08-21 11:32 AM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
This is like a summer fantasy/torture thread.  I'll be running in 90s and high humidity today and loving it.
2009-08-21 12:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Gee in the military all we got were sweatpants and a zip-up sweatshirt...and that was running on Colorado winters!!! 

ANy other ideas besides chapstick?  That stuff is addicting to your lips, true, and will cause massive cracking when you stop using it.
2009-08-21 12:31 PM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Well, best of luck in your training. Lots of good advice. Edmonton winters are colder than Toronto winters but my advice:

- my standby's are - gloves, tights, a fleece, windproof shell, some windpants (thought you may want some lined ones - i see how freakin cold Edmonton can get), a neckwarmer, the 'winter weight' socks (these are awesome!!), a toque with at least a wicking material liner and sunglasses for sunny days.  Oh and some change for a hot coffee/chocolate afterwards :D

- also if you're doing weekday outdoor running invest in some personal lights - i have a blinker and an led armband. So much safer when people can see you in the dark.

Other advice - know not solicited:
- find a group to train with (runningroom is popular and works - i've done it) and especially if you're going to find it hard to get out the door it's great to know you have a goup to get out with who plans the routes and distances for you.  And you may find that you'll get out no matter what which can make you feel tough as nails which is great mental training!

- my winter running has almost exclusively been outdoors except this past year when i wanted to run a faster race in March then i took my tempo work indoors to the TM.  don't expect to be fast in the winter 'cause things like cold muscles, darn snow and ice will make it not worth pushing so hard to get up to specific paces (and it could be dangerous to do so).  You'll be fine when May rolls around for the race - you'll be basking in warmer temps and feeling the great effects of putting in solid training in the cruddy weather

- wear any water bottles as close to your skin as possible to try to keep them from freezing. I hate when I want water but my bottles are frozen and sports drink becomes slush and is equally difficult to drink that way.

2009-08-21 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2362619

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

juniperjen - 2009-08-21 12:31 PM

- also if you're doing weekday outdoor running invest in some personal lights - i have a blinker and an led armband. So much safer when people can see you in the dark.

- wear any water bottles as close to your skin as possible to try to keep them from freezing. I hate when I want water but my bottles are frozen and sports drink becomes slush and is equally difficult to drink that way.

x2

- I keep the small blinking lights my kids get from their schools for halloween and use them for my morning runs since it gets light so late through the winter months

- in addition to any fluids, keep any battery operated mp3's/ipods next to your body too! The batteries can't take the same cold we can    Lol I went so far as to devise a little fleece cover for my polar foot pod 'cause the battery would freeze - it didn't work, modifications in progress...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter prep--running Rss Feed  

of 2