General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Free Speed - use transition to your advantage! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-08 8:12 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Free Speed - use transition to your advantage!

This has been discussed many times here but I believe that it bears repeating; especially for those new to the sport who haven't seen the old threads.  The race I did recently posted transition times and as I was going over the results, some of the T1 and T2 times jumped out at me.  The race winner spent a total of 1:44 in transition while there were at least two others who spent more than six minutes over the two transitions!  One of the athletes finished in the 2:4X range and if they had spent half the time in transition, would have moved up five spots in their overall ranking and two spots in their age group.

I believe the most important thing that athletes should consider about transition is that time gains are not a result (very much anyway) of fitness improvements; for the 2:4X athlete, to take three minutes off any of their other splits would have required:

Swim - 12s faster per 100m
Bike - 1.5km/h faster
Run - 18s faster per km

All of these improvements would be the result of a fairly significant fitness improvment but for the same athlete, with a little practice they could knock three minutes off in their next race!

In order to improve T1 and T2 times, an athlete must be organized and have a plan going into the race.  In addition, practicing either the entire transition or individual parts of it (i.e. getting out of a wetsuit quickly) will pay dividends on race day.

Attention to detail in the weeks leading up to the race as well as prior to the race can easily shave minutes off of your time; don't let that time slip away in the pursuit of your next PB!

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2008-08-08 8:31 AM

2008-08-08 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1589480

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Free Speed - use transition to your advantage!

Great post.

One thing I would like to throw into the mix is that an easy way to get faster is to just dumb it down.  For a sprint or an oly. there is no reason to have all the extra food and such in your pockets.  In T1 you should get out the water, have your wetsuit almost off by the time you get to your bike, strip it off fast, put on your helmet and shades, grab your bike and go putting your feet into the shoes as you are riding.  That's it!  If for some reason you cannot put your shoes on while riding, then just slip them on and go.  Don't worry about tightening the straps until you are riding.

For T2, you should aready be out of your shoes by the time you dismount, run with the bike to the rack, take your helmet off, running shoes on with some sort of speed laces and grab your number belt and hat/visor if you use one and put all those on while running.

If you need nutrition, keep it in your tri top/shorts pocket under your wetsuit while you swim.  Or (yuck) use some sort of bento box.  Try to be as much course supported as possible.  The less you have to carry, the easier it is to stay light and unencumbered.

Don't lolligag and chat if you are looking to be fast in transitions!!  Be all business, in, change, out.

2008-08-08 8:28 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
gsmacleod - 2008-08-08 8:12 AM

In order to improve T1 and T2 times, an athlete must simplify, be organized and have a plan going into the race.  In addition, practicing either the entire transition or individual parts of it (i.e. getting out of a wetsuit quickly) will pay dividends on race day.

Great post, nice to illuminate the performance gains necessary to compensate for slower transitions.

I did want to add my 2¢ in the form of that one word "simplify," as I see too many triathletes bringing too much and attempting to do too much in transitions, especially in short course races. In my sprint transition bag I pack:

• Beach towel (transition mat)
  • Hand towel (to wipe sweat or dirt, used rarely)
  • Goggles
  • Swim cap
  • Race belt

That's it. Bike shoes stay on the bike, running shoes are on my feet, helmet is on my head as I usually ride my bike in from parking. Nutrition and hydration is preloaded on the bike.

In T1, place goggles and cap in my bag, put my helmet on, grab the bike and go.

In T2, rack the bike, quickly slip into shoes, grab cap and race belt and go.

There are no socks, no sunglasses, no washing of the feet, no nutrition taken, no sitting down in either transition.

Simplified, planned, organized and practiced.

2008-08-08 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1589500

User image

Champion

Rick,

Great points, I had initially detailed all the steps of transition but the post got really long...

However, as far as KISS; I agree 100%.  I think that if athletes put a little practice into transitions (so they can do a flying mount or at least a rolling mount) that their transition area should have the following:

bike shoes - on bike
helmet and glasses - sitting on handlebars
running shoes - next to bike
race belt (if required) and hat - under running shoes
towel (missed this, thanks bear!) - sitting next to bike with running shoes on top

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2008-08-08 8:32 AM
2008-08-08 8:55 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

The only caveat for some runners is that they need socks.  That can add a little hiccup for some.  But it can still be done very quickly if you have then open and laid out on the shoes.

And remember to cover things up if it is raining!!

2008-08-08 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1589579

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I still have to run in socks, so I do have to put them on during T2.  To do this faster, when I'm setting up my transition area, I put them on my feet and then roll the top down about halfway down my foot.  It makes it much easier to put them on during transition because you just stick your toes in and roll them up.  It works even better for T1 when your feet are wet.

2008-08-08 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1589579

User image

Veteran
Knoxville
Daremo - 2008-08-08 9:55 AM

The only caveat for some runners is that they need socks.  That can add a little hiccup for some.  But it can still be done very quickly if you have then open and laid out on the shoes.

And remember to cover things up if it is raining!!

If you need to wear socks, baby poweder on the inside will make them easier to slip on if your feet are wet. I need socks for running but I put them on before the bike.

Great suggestions everyone. I'll be practicing! 

2008-08-08 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Phenix City, AL
I just got one little thing I'd like to add, instead of wearing a race belt and having to grab and put it on, I use to safety pins and attach the number to my shorts. I keep the number tucked in my tri shorts until I get out of the water, then just pull it out as I run to the transition area. I know some races they want the number on your back while you ride, but some races don't. And its on the front as you run with the pins. Its just one less thing you have to worry about while in T1. And you don't have to spend the money on buying a belt, possibly loosing the belt or spend the time while in transition putting the belt on.

Oh yeah, and for short race, sprint, I don't wear socks with my shoes. I know this might take some getting used to, but if you train that way then it still saves a few seconds.

just my humble opine

Edited by Bozman 2008-08-08 9:05 AM
2008-08-08 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1589590

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
jmeeks1977 - 2008-08-08 9:00 AM

If you need to wear socks, baby poweder on the inside will make them easier to slip on if your feet are wet. I need socks for running but I put them on before the bike.

Great suggestions everyone. I'll be practicing! 

I actually baby powder the inside of my cycling and running shoes to make them easier to slip on without socks.

Bozman - 2008-08-08 9:03 AM I just got one little thing I'd like to add, instead of wearing a race belt and having to grab and put it on, I use to safety pins and attach the number to my shorts. I keep the number tucked in my tri shorts until I get out of the water, then just pull it out as I run to the transition area. I know some races they want the number on your back while you ride, but some races don't. And its on the front as you run with the pins. Its just one less thing you have to worry about while in T1. And you don't have to spend the money on buying a belt, possibly loosing the belt or spend the time while in transition putting the belt on.

A race belt is a good cheap investment of about $7, or free in many goody bags of the races I do. You don't spend time putting it on in transition but rather slip it on as you are running.

To each his own, but I couldn't imagine swimming with my shorts full of race bib. I'd be scared to death of paper cuts.

Edited by the bear 2008-08-08 9:08 AM
2008-08-08 9:21 AM
in reply to: #1589608

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
And you can jsut as easily wear your race belt under your wetsuit as well.  A lot of people do that in IM races as you are required to wear your number on your back on the bike.  I didn't because it takes about 3 seconds to put on one and you can do that while you are running/moving.
2008-08-08 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1589647

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

I saw a transition video I think it was here that talked about rolling up your socks, my feet seem to blister easily so I have to wear them.  Rolling them up made them 10x faster to put on.

2 tri's ago I actually ended up coming in 2nd in my AG, The guy in 3rd was faster in the swim, right behind me on the bike and way faster than me on the run.  I beat him in Transition by over 2.5 minutes and ended up being 7 seconds faster overall.

Big fan of faster transitions.

2008-08-08 9:31 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Great Posts and Great advice.....I'm a relative newbie (4 sprints....about to jump into OLY's in 2 weeks).

My first race was all about just doing the tri. In looking at the results/splits, I spent 3x as long in both T1 and T2 than the top 10 finishers. During a brick in training for #2, I laid everything out and then saw what I did/didn't need. For Tri #2, I knew I could do the race, so it was more of a practice on transitions than it was to do the race. Now I've got it down to where my last T times combined were 2:25.

2008-08-08 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Good posts. If it's a big race and the transition is setup the day before, I like to check it out and walk through it. Then during the rest of the day I just run it over in my head. That way when I get there, there is no thinking involved.

I also bring very, very little with me into transition.

I set my bike up put my sunglasses on the top of my helmet(no aero helmet) and lay out the helmet in the best position to get it on my head and buckled as fast as possible. I even go through the motion atleast 5 times before a race to make sure everything is good. I don't bother with a towel. The only two other things are my shoes and race belt. Depending on the transition I'll just put my shoes on in transition. Because if it's a short run and or turns/climbs alot right out of t1, it's not worth it. I use the Shimano SPDs and their cleats are great for running in, so only on big transitions or grassy/dirt do I go with shoes already on bike. Either way I can still do a running mount. I always take my feet out before t2 though and do a flying dismount(I've been yelled out for going too fast at the dismount line a few times). For t2 I put my race belt w/ number face down and my shoes on top of them. Then I put my shoes on, grab my number and start running while putting it on.

Things to consider,

Don't do a flying mount if you haven't practiced it and can't do it without swerving.
Don't already have shoes on bike if you can't put them on without staring out them and swerving all over.
Don't do a flying dismount if you haven't practiced it and can't do it with out swerving.

Too many people have scared the crap out of me with their mounts/dismounts trying to save those few seconds. I also think sometimes people waste more time getting shoes put on while riding then just tossing them on in t1. Though practice will always improve this.
2008-08-08 10:25 AM

User image

Minneapolis
I tape gels or cliff bars to my bike with electrical tape. That way you can put them in your pockets after you are up to speed on your bike and you don't need to mess with them in the transition area. Electrical tap works well because it doesn't leave any residue on the bike.

On a side note it also works well if you have to put numbers on a helmet or your bike frame to put some electrical tape on the helmet or the frame first and then put the numbers on so you don't get the sticky residue from the numbers on your bike frame or helmet.

2008-08-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1589647

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Daremo - 2008-08-08 8:21 AM

And you can jsut as easily wear your race belt under your wetsuit as well. A lot of people do that in IM races as you are required to wear your number on your back on the bike. I didn't because it takes about 3 seconds to put on one and you can do that while you are running/moving.

I just finished reading the Athlete's Guide for Ironman Canada and it says not to wear the number during the swim. They said it might not last for the whole day if it's worn through the swim. I'm not sure that makes sense considering how wet they can get anyway, for instance at Lake Placid this year, but that's what the guide said. The number should be fine to swim with on shorter races, though. In some race bags I've gotten two numbers, one for bike and one for run. So far I've only ever needed one on my race belt but I put the second in my T2 stuff in case the first one is coming apart.

For IMC, the guide also says that shoes and helmet must be in your Swim-to-Bike gear bag, shoes may not be on or by the bike. As always, check the rules for the specific race you will be doing and adapt where necessary.

Speaking of wet weather, at shorter races I usually put a folded plastic garbage bag in my transition bag. If the weather looks bad, I just lay out my stuff inside the bag. I've had some practice transitioning out of those bags too.
2008-08-08 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1589608

the bear - 2008-08-08 10:04 AM

I actually baby powder the inside of my cycling and running shoes to make them easier to slip on without socks.

Hmm...I may have to try this with my sneakers - I have speed laces and open them up as far as I can, but I seem to have a harder time getting into them.

I agree that transition should be WAY simple - too many newbies bring too much crap. Thankfully, I was on BT a good three months before my first race, so I learned well  At a race I did in June with some friends, only one or two of which are super-competitive, it was the first race for this one girl and the other girl with us, who is pretty slow and not competitive has this whole elaborate transition that she uses and had convinced the new girl to use. Needless to say, the slow girl and I got out of the water around the same time (she was behind me and is a decent swimmer only) - I was done and out of transition before she even sat down on her stupid bucket. I hope new girl, who IS competitive (in other things and probably will be in triathlon), realizes that all that extra crap isn't needed. I had told her about my transition plan while we were at the hotel, just to make it clear that there are many (better) ways to do it!

And I am looking for ways to simplify even more! I can't and won't do the "shoes on the bike" thing for quite some time, though - too risky at my level.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-08-08 10:31 AM

2008-08-08 10:32 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

An IM transition, while in basic principal should be the same, is a whole different animal.  We could have a separate thread about those.

But the numbers do last through the swim without too many issues.  Plenty of people do it.  I just put mine on when in the tent because it takes very little time as I mentioned before.  And I put the other one in my bike to run bag (you are given 2 in IM events, one with your first name, the other with your last) just in case it does get all messed up.  For what it is worth, mine lasted through the 11 hours of deluge that I was wearing it in LP.

2008-08-12 4:18 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Not only did I strip my transition way down (that BT video was AWESOME!), but I got myself mentally into the transition, which helped eliminate the WTF moment(s). I was mentally into my transition before I even stood up in the water, and then as I was coming down toward the line off the bike. I ran through the whole thing before I ever got there, so then all my body had to do was follow what my mind had already figured out. I sincerely believed that helped immensely.
2008-08-12 7:20 AM

User image

Elite
Another good thing to think about in transition is where you locate yourself.  In some races you have pre-assignes spots.  In others you choose.  A good T area can knock minutes off your time. 
2008-08-12 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1589873

User image

Regular
murphvoss - 2008-08-08 10:25 AM

On a side note it also works well if you have to put numbers on a helmet to put some electrical tape on the helmet first and then put the numbers on so you don't get the sticky residue from the numbers on your helmet.

Thanks for the great idea! I just spent about 15 min last wknd trying to get that sticky stuff off my helmet.
2008-08-12 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

One more thing - bring a checklist.  You can print one out very easily here on BT, and make sure you have everything you want in the transition area. 

This weekend, at The Dutchman 1/2, one of the competitors forgot his nutrition.  He realized he had forgot it at the beginning of the swim.  He told his girlfriend about it and asked her to go to the car and get it for him so he could grab it from her in T1.  She did, he did, and he got a 4:00 penalty for assistance.  When I was talking to him after the race, he knew he was chancing getting a penalty, but he felt he would have done much worse than 4 minutes slower if he had gone out on the bike without his nutrition.  A checklist that he could have run down before transition was closed would have made all of the difference.  He finished in the top 20 overall, but would have been 5 places higher overall and 2 places higher in his AG without the penalty. 

Having your mental game ready when setting up transition can make more of a difference than just "in transition".

2008-08-12 9:13 AM

I have first hand experience of the benefits of fine tuning transitions. I had a race this year where I got on the podium by transition times alone! The forth place finisher had better times in all three events but I beat him out of both transitions so even though he sbr'd faster than me, he never made up the deficit on the run.

Here are a couple things that have help ever so slightly but I think have shaved a few seconds:
1. Unbuckle helmet while running to T2. Seems obvious and silly, (most of you are probably shaking their heads saying no s**t moron) but I bet some people don't even think about it and fumble with the strap after racking their bike.
2. On flying dismounts, after swinging leg over bike, pull leg through inside of other leg still on top of the shoe and hit the ground running. I don't seem to have to slow down as much as I near the dismount line and I can maintain a faster run to the bike rack. This really freaks out the volunteers though. This is something I really never thought of doing until I saw the transition video on this site.

These are very simple and seemingly insignificant, but when you have exausted every other trick, I think these two things have given me a few seconds.
2008-08-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1596673

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

rsmorgan - 2008-08-12 9:13 AM 1. Unbuckle helmet while running to T2. Seems obvious and silly, (most of you are probably shaking their heads saying no s**t moron) but I bet some people don't even think about it and fumble with the strap after racking their bike.

Not sure how this saves time, particularly trying to do this while running full speed with the bike. I "fumble" less after having racked  the bike. Regardless, we're talking microseconds of difference either way.

Also, I have seen some races where the RD imposes a rule requiring helmet to be buckled whenever the bike is off the rack. This Isn't a USAT rule but some RDs do invoke it. 

2008-08-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1596432

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

jdwright56 - 2008-08-12 8:43 AM This weekend, at The Dutchman 1/2, one of the competitors forgot his nutrition.  He realized he had forgot it at the beginning of the swim.  He told his girlfriend about it and asked her to go to the car and get it for him so he could grab it from her in T1.  She did, he did, and he got a 4:00 penalty for assistance.  When I was talking to him after the race, he knew he was chancing getting a penalty, but he felt he would have done much worse than 4 minutes slower if he had gone out on the bike without his nutrition.  A checklist that he could have run down before transition was closed would have made all of the difference.  He finished in the top 20 overall, but would have been 5 places higher overall and 2 places higher in his AG without the penalty. 

Even more reason to go course supported as I mentioned above.  One bottle on the bike and you're done .......

The only time I think someone needs a checklist per se is when they are packing their stuff before their race.

As mentioned before, keep the transition are as simple and basic as possible.  For a sprint or oly. you barely even need nutrition to begin with.

2008-08-12 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1596698

User image

Champion
the bear - 2008-08-12 11:20 AM

rsmorgan - 2008-08-12 9:13 AM 1. Unbuckle helmet while running to T2. Seems obvious and silly, (most of you are probably shaking their heads saying no s**t moron) but I bet some people don't even think about it and fumble with the strap after racking their bike.

Not sure how this saves time, particularly trying to do this while running full speed with the bike. I "fumble" less after having racked  the bike. Regardless, we're talking microseconds of difference either way.

Also, I have seen some races where the RD imposes a rule requiring helmet to be buckled whenever the bike is off the rack. This Isn't a USAT rule but some RDs do invoke it. 

I'm surprised it's not a USAT rule because IIRC it is an ITU rule (not just ITU elite but the overll governing body).  It is definitely a TriCanada rule so for anyone north of the border, don't touch that buckle until you are no longer in possession of your bike!

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Free Speed - use transition to your advantage! Rss Feed  

of 2