General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sunscreen alternative - cooling clothing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-03-24 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Subject: sunscreen alternative - cooling clothing
Hi All,

I'm a pasty guy with absolutely no sun tolerance...I'm that guy at the beach in the long sleeve rash guard shirt and baseball cap.

I'll be doing some events this summer and I'm thinking of giving some of the 'cooling' fabrics a try rather than having to continuously slather on sunscreen.  I normally use Coppertone 'sports' sunblock, and while it holds up to water and sweat fairly well, I feel like I get extra hot while wearing it as my pores clog up a bit and my sweating is slightly diminished.

Here are some options that will help reduce my sunscreen application:

Craft's Pro Cool long sleeve (worn by Torborn Sinballe in the IM)

DeSoto's leg and arm coolers

Does anyone have any experience with either product?  Does the long sleeve white Pro Cool shirt really keep you cool or will I roast?

I realize I'm going to look like a bit of a total moron, but a few looks will be much more tolerable than a bad sunburn. 

Thanks!

2010-03-24 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2745280

User image

Master
Subject: RE: sunscreen alternative - cooling clothing
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm responding to bump you up in the hopes that someone will respond because I want to know the answer too.
2010-03-24 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Bellingham, WA
I'm pretty fair-skinned as well, and also paranoid about sun exposure.  I haven't yet tried the arm/leg coolers but I've heard that they work pretty well for temperature control.  Not sure how effective they are as sunscreens.

To keep the sunburn to a minimum I usually shower the night before a race and then apply sunscreen.  Don't shower the next morning, but reapply after getting body marked.  I found the trick about applying the night before (after showering) on ST, and it does seem to work.  I have better luck with the zinc oxide sunscreens than the avobenzone-based ones, but that could be an individual thing. 
2010-03-24 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

On my IM, I put it on before the swim (cream).

Then in t1, used spray.

Then halfway on the bike after taking a leak, used some cream on the neck and ears from a tiny pack.

Then again spray on in T2.

Even with the clothes you'll still need something for your neck, ears, head if thining, etc.

For shorter races just a quick spray in each T then off, maybe 5-10 seconds, but history of skin cancer = worth the effort.

One thing that sucked was the raw rug burn on the neck from the wetsuit + spray sunblock = agony. So now I wear duct tape on the neck.

2010-03-24 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I've also considered these products - not for sun protection but because I do not do well in the heat.  I have no personal experience, but I've never read a report of someone who used them and said they didnt' work.

Keeping the fabric wet will also help significantly from a cooling perspective.  Throw some ice under a hat for a little extra cooling love.

x2 on the spray sunscreen!
2010-03-24 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
https://sunguardsunprotection.com/?ccUser=
I have vitiligo and I swear by this stuff. Turns all clothes into sun protection clothes. I buy it online.

2010-03-24 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2746035

User image

Veteran
DC
Thanks to all for their input.  I'll check out that sun guard treatment for my race wear and will keep the duct tape handy (yet one more use for that wonderful product).

If anyone has worn either garment, I'd still be interested in hearing your feedback. 
2010-03-24 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
I have both the Craft Pro Cool long sleeve shirt (love it) and a pair of DeSoto Cool Wings.  I have only worn the cool wings once so far this season, and it's not really hot here yet.  So, I can't speak to their cooling properties right this minute, but I found them comfortable and not distracting.  Combined with a tri-top, I get almost 100% coverage of my torso/arms.  There is just a tiny bit of exposure at the arm pit area.  I'm going to the HIM distance, and since I'm not trying to win anything, my plan is to wear the Cool Wings and the tri top on the bike, then ditch them both in T2 and throw on the Craft shirt.  I will also still be putting on spray sunscreen.  But, I've had skin cancer already, so I don't play around.
2010-03-24 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I have all the de Soto stuff and can highly recommend it, although it does say to still wear sun block but another layer of protection is a good thing and the gear definitely helps keep you cool, especially if you get some water on it.  I especially like the cool wings as they give that extra protection across your neck and shoulders. It is tricky to get on while you're wet though.  I have very fine hair so always wear the Cool Beanie under my helmet to stop my scalp getting burned.  Being here in Perth, I'm neurotic about sun protection, I'm a Scot with Viking colouring and my Dad died of a malignant melanoma after spending his entire life in Scotland.  The UV here is usually classed as 'extreme' so the de Soto stuff has had a real work-out.

I normally put cream on first thing and then again when waiting around at the start.  Experiment to find one for your face that still means your goggles get a good seal, the one I use is Aussie made so probably not available in the US.  I have a spray for T1 and T2, although I've only done sprints, it can still be 30C and sunny by 9am here.  I too have found the sports sunblock clog my pores and I use a kids one that's SPF 50+ but still very light in feel and waterproof for 4 hours.  I don't seem to sweat it off either and I sweat a lot.
2010-03-25 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2746035

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Atlantia - 2010-03-24 4:08 PM https://sunguardsunprotection.com/?ccUser=I have vitiligo and I swear by this stuff. Turns all clothes into sun protection clothes. I buy it online.

Just a hunch -- but I suspect that for the same reasons we shouldn't use fabric softeners in our technical gear, this product may interfere with the wicking/cooling properties of the clothing being discussed in this thread.
2010-03-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2747848

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
JoshKaptur - 2010-03-25 11:52 AM

Just a hunch -- but I suspect that for the same reasons we shouldn't use fabric softeners in our technical gear, this product may interfere with the wicking/cooling properties of the clothing being discussed in this thread.

So thats why they say to never use fabric softener. Ive always read it on the label but it was never explained as to why we shouldnt.

2010-03-26 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Good stuff- thanks to everyone for their input.  I think I'll be going with the craft long sleeve shirt to start out with.  Josh, good point on the SPF detergent product...gonna give it a pass.
2010-03-26 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2747864

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
nhunter344 - 2010-03-25 11:57 AM
JoshKaptur - 2010-03-25 11:52 AM

So thats why they say to never use fabric softener. Ive always read it on the label but it was never explained as to why we shouldnt.

I tend to think of it as 'clogging the pores' of your clothes.  I'm no scientist.
2010-03-26 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2751069

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have the cool wings and like them okay, but they get stretched out and end up not covering me as well as I hoped.  I imagined wearing them on bike and run, but they literally fall off on the run.  I now wear them underneath a sleeveless jersey for training/pleasure rides.  I last did this while biking in Vegas at Red Rocks.  It was in the 70s, though, so I cannot testify to their cooling properties.   I was comfortable.   But for serious sun protection issues, it's important to note they do move around a lot.  I'd go for a full shirt.

I am a big sun block fan of all sorts.  You must apply it at least a half hour before activity.  When I'm on vacation,  I apply after my shower in the morning and then reapply as the day goes on.  I used to use Banana Boat, because it was less expensive, but saw Consumer Reports info that showed it was less effective.  Can't remember the top brands, but Neutrogena was good and I buy that often.  I need to look up the info on that again...

I am also the girl with the rash guard and hats at the beach.  This year in Hawaii I swam exclusively in a full body dive skin (same as rash guard).  It was great!

2010-03-26 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
I have the UA heat gear (suppose to have 25 SPF)that I wore in my Sept IM last year. I originally wanted the extra layer, but left in on because the sun came out strong partway in. I had a very visible bra line from where I tanned through the shirt. So, I was very thankful to not be burned like most of the other people I saw (It was raining at the beginning, so most probably didn't have sunscreen.), but I didn't expect to actuallty TAN through the 25 SPF fabric.
2012-04-14 1:09 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Has anyone worn Cool Wings under a wetsuit for racing? I'm scheduled to race Vineman this summer and plan to buy a set and give them a go during training. If you did wear Cool Wings under a wetsuit did you have trouble with chafing? If you put them on in T1 what was your experience getting them on when your arms are wet?

2012-04-14 1:40 PM

User image

Melon Presser

spudone wears cooling/sunblock gear (he has it on in his avatar) ... those with questions might want to bombard him with PM's, and of course, please tell him Yanti sent you

Tom Demerly (trisports.com) posted a while back that cooling gear really doesn't work for cooling (and he's tried most of it). However, I don't recall him saying anything about their sunblocking properties.

To my knowledge, Australian sunblocks have a more rigorous testing protocol in order to make claims of a certain SPF and waterproof.

2012-04-14 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4150594

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
TriAya - 2012-04-14 11:40 AM

spudone wears cooling/sunblock gear (he has it on in his avatar) ... those with questions might want to bombard him with PM's, and of course, please tell him Yanti sent you

Tom Demerly (trisports.com) posted a while back that cooling gear really doesn't work for cooling (and he's tried most of it). However, I don't recall him saying anything about their sunblocking properties.

To my knowledge, Australian sunblocks have a more rigorous testing protocol in order to make claims of a certain SPF and waterproof.

I'm not as interested in the cooling properties, more the sun protection. So far I'm going with several coats of sunscreen with zinc oxide (one at night, one in the morning and more after swimming) but I want to cover my shoulders and arms for the long 5-7 hour bike rides. I know that the cool wings don't prove 100% sunblock and should be partnered with sunscreen. I'm just looking for the best sun protection strategy for a long IM day.

2012-04-14 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I wear arm coolers for my long rides and bricks; occasionally for long runs. I think the brand is Skins. Recently bought another pair (Korean brand) that purports to do the same thing. My impressions: the cooling property is pretty minimal, but they don't make you feel hotter. They work better when wet (i.e. with sweat, but you could moisten them early on and accelerate it.) They do protect you from the sun, in my experience better than sunscreen. Not pasty but I have light olive skin that can turn amazingly dark shades if I even think about sun; arms love to freckle. Skin cancer rates are high among ex-pats here so that and vanity is why I wear them. The Skins had a tendency to slip as even XS was too small (they seem to be unisex, and I'm a woman with skinny arms); the Korean ones do not. Make sure they fit; if there's any slippage, put sunscreen at the top and bottom of the covered part (better yet, just cover everything with sunscreen in case the UV protection from the gear is not ideal) or you'll get REALLY weird tan/burn lines!

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-04-14 6:13 PM
2012-04-15 12:03 AM
in reply to: #4150885

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hot Runner - 2012-04-14 4:10 PM I wear arm coolers for my long rides and bricks; occasionally for long runs. I think the brand is Skins. Recently bought another pair (Korean brand) that purports to do the same thing. My impressions: the cooling property is pretty minimal, but they don't make you feel hotter. They work better when wet (i.e. with sweat, but you could moisten them early on and accelerate it.) They do protect you from the sun, in my experience better than sunscreen. Not pasty but I have light olive skin that can turn amazingly dark shades if I even think about sun; arms love to freckle. Skin cancer rates are high among ex-pats here so that and vanity is why I wear them. The Skins had a tendency to slip as even XS was too small (they seem to be unisex, and I'm a woman with skinny arms); the Korean ones do not. Make sure they fit; if there's any slippage, put sunscreen at the top and bottom of the covered part (better yet, just cover everything with sunscreen in case the UV protection from the gear is not ideal) or you'll get REALLY weird tan/burn lines!

Thanks for the feedback! I guess it's worth picking up a set and giving them a go for training. My goal is to limit long term sun exposure. I'm pretty fair and I burn quickly.

Edited by jezzieswims 2012-04-15 12:05 AM
2012-04-15 12:52 AM

Both products work well, BUT you have to keep them wet.  In races, this is not much of an issue since you have regular access to water on the bike and run; however it is an issue in training when you only want to carry water to drink.  I've found them helpful on the bike, but break-even at best on the run due to slower speeds (may be worth it for the sun protection though....I've never been burned through one).

You can try the concept with an Under Armour HeatGear top (<$30).  In my experience it works as well (if not better) and is UPF 50+.

2012-04-15 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2745801

User image

Phoenix AZ

One thing that sucked was the raw rug burn on the neck from the wetsuit + spray sunblock = agony. So now I wear duct tape on the neck.  

as someone who is nursing a bad chafe (?) on the neck from this morning's sprint, i applaud your genius sir. i will not hit the water again without duct tape on my neck.

Edited by Bunsbert Montcroff 2012-04-15 4:17 PM
2012-04-15 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

Old thread. 

So on 2nd IM I ran with the Desoto long sleeve cooler, under my wetsuit to the end of the run. Worked great and the back pockets along the spine are great for having ice! You can't reach the top one, but water station volunteers sure can!

Only used course provided sunblock at T1 and T2 (but put it on super thick) and escaped with no burn at all. 

I also took someone else's advice (either here or ST) and showered and put thick base layer of spf30 cream the night before race. I think that helped a lot. 

Not sure I'd be interested in the arm coolers for sunblock as there is a huge exposure around the shoulders.

I kept it wet on the bike and run and I think it helped with cooling...

This was from the HIM year before, cooler day but it was fine:

Big Desoto/zoot fan. 

2012-04-15 9:56 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I know its an old thread ... I figured I'd dig up and old one and ask additional questions rather than start from scratch.

^^^ Thanks. I hadn't though about using a full coverage top. Did you have any chafing with the top under your wetsuit?

I was thinking of wearing these so I still had the back pockets of my tri top to store nutrition.

De Soto Cool Wings

I agree ...the basic arm coolers would leave me too exposed, I want my shoulders and "wings" in the back covered.

2012-04-15 10:07 PM

User image

Buttercup

I don't have experience with those.

I have experience with Pearl Izumi In-R-Cool products (short and long-sleeve) and I highly recommend them. It REALLY does feel unlike any of my other tech apparel. I remember pulling my shirt over my tri suit; it was high noonish and hot. Instant relief. My skin felt cooler immediately. I was surprised it worked that well.

Their In-R-Cool apparel are UP50. I'll be buying a couple more long sleeve In-R-Cool shirts for wearing while sailing. Keep the sun off my skin and to keep me cooler.

I like the product so much, I'd happily forego all my long sleeve tops (I have quite a few) and replace them all with the In-R-Cool tops.

Edited by Renee 2012-04-15 10:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sunscreen alternative - cooling clothing Rss Feed  

of 2