BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group - Part II Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2012-07-27 9:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-07-27 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4333512

NC
Subject: RE: Fred D Mentor Group - Part II

Name:  Marshall

Short Story:  In 2009, I found myself a fat, lazy, high blood pressured father of two young kids.  My primary care physician essentially told me I needed to get is together . . .  soon (I love her).  I started with a couch to 5K a run group at the local running store and progressed up to a really slow HM in late 2010.  Started swimming in late 2010.  I was DFL in my AG at my first duathlon in 2011.  I think it was like 16mph.  I did a few sprints last year and ended up with a Olympic.  I was pleased to have done it, but not pleased with finding myself in the bottom third of results.  I worked my tail off on the trainer this past winter and have seen a vast improvement on the bike.  Finished in the top 20% in a 50 mile bike race (timed ride, really) in the mountains a few weeks ago.  Considering I can't descend or corner, I was pleased, but man that was a brutal ride.  At my second sprint this year, I took 13 minutes off my time from last year.  However, a 26:xx run split absolutely kills me (although I realize it's better than last year's 30:xx).  Currently battling a lot of foot pain.  According to the chiro, my feet are "designed for pain."  Awesome.  Riding a CAAD10.5.  I'm working on getting as un-aero as possible.

Family Status:  Married (wife races) with 2 kids.  6 and 3.  The 6yo has placed 3rd, 1st and 1st in his first three triathlons.  I am constantly reminded that I have not.  The 3yo is going to be a better cyclist than all of us.  She's fierce.

Current Training:  No real plan.  Target 3x bike (two group rides 30 & 50 and one computrainer at the LBS), 3x Masters swim and 5x run (around 18 miles, working on getting this back).  After having a good spring, my running has suffered (heat, feet blah blah blah).

Best Compliment:  Since you asked.  When you've lost as much weight as I have, you get all kinds of compliments.  It's great, but one stands out.  I was riding with a very strong triathlete a couple weeks ago.  He also was one of my "coaches" in a run group many, many pounds ago.  I was killing him on the hills.  He looked at me and said, "Who the h#ll would have thought you would turn out to be a climber!"  I could have hugged his neck. 

2012 Races:  Two sprints in the books.  At least one more sprint to go (a race in which I totally fell apart in last year).  Probably going to go back to REV3 Anderson for the Olympic.  Also, a two mile ocean swim this fall, likely.  If I can get my run together, maybe a HM late this year.  I really wanted to try a HIM this year, but just don't think my run is together enough.  Maybe next year.

Weight loss goals:  I've dropped 70lbs since I started running.  6'4" and holding between 168-170.  I'm happy to keep it there.  I seriously can't afford another new wardrobe.

What makes me a good mentee:  Dashing good looks, and I make Rusty laugh.  That and god knows I've got room for improvement. 

2012-07-27 10:06 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Here's my bio (warning: long - but updated)

NAME: Jen Snyder (juniperjen)

STORY:  Oh this could get long.  Hahaha.  If someone had told my teenage self about this triathlon obsession I would have in my adult years I would have laughed at them.  I liked to be active but I wasn’t ever good enough to play any organized sports so by my late teens to early 20’s I loved to do aerobics but the motivation to be consistent just wasn’t there.  I randomly joined a 10k clinic at my local running specialty store. I had a bunch of reasons: to see if I could, and to get out of my basement apartment since I had just moved away for my job and of course my desk job wasn’t doing my pants size any favours.

Well, that 10k clinic was just the very beginning.  Considering when I joined I didn’t know what a marathon or a half marathon or triathlon was I couldn’t have known where it would lead.  That 10k clinic led to half marathons then to marathons.  In my first marathon group I met the man I married and who would introduce me to triathlon. 

I went with him to BC to watch him do Ironman Canada in 2007 and I was instantly keen to give it a go.  Two small problems: I didn’t own a bike and I didn’t swim.  Well, if run training had taught me anything it was that a goal can be set, worked toward and achieved.   The swimming was the most difficult part and I would love to say it was easy to learn but it wasn’t.  Thankfully, I knew to work at it and not be too ambitious when signing up for tris because my first few tris were panic-ridden short-distances and I even had one where I didn’t finish the swim … but I was diligent and lucky to have my SO be into it as well because with more OWS time my panic dulled and I successfully finished Muskoka 70.3 in 2010.  I felt truly proud of my performance and was overcome by just how far I had come to get there.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married – no kids but a dog and a cat

CURRENT TRAINING: Just a few weeks out from IM Mont-Tremblant - my first Ironman

2011 RACES:  My 2011 season definitely did not go according to plan.  I raced a 30k run in March where I had PR’ed for the last three years but in 2011 I felt flat and although for me, it was a good race time was not happy with the effort. I did some shorter runs, a half marathon and 10k that were fine. 

I signed up for Muskoka 70.3 which I had done the previous year.  I opened the tri season with a duathlon which I have done for several years for fun.  I only did one tune-up tri which went really well for me – it had odd distances: 1000m swim, 30k bike and 7k run.  I was feeling slightly under-trained for Muskoka since we bought a house and moved in August but I had biked the course two or three times and it would be fine.  However, 10 days out from the race I tripped on some stairs and sprained my ankle pretty badly.  That was it for racing for me for the rest of the year.  The recovery was about 6 weeks and I was fairly lazy into the fall.

2012 RACES:  Ironman Mont Tremblant!  I paced my little sister in her first half marathon this spring and did a 10k where they raffle a car.  Already raced an olympic and half iron this season.  After MT i am thinking about 25k trail run at the end of September with my running buddy (who i practically abandon during tri season) and might look at a late season sprint just to close things off and potentially a few other runs but nothing ambitious

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  Weight loss is not a major concern of mine. Eating well is definitely something I need to get a handle on since I tend to eat more junk than I should but I definitely am in a healthy weight range for my age and height.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am an enthusiastic team member. I am happy to share what I know and encourage my teammates.  I have a lot to learn for this season – mostly about nutrition, training intensities and really increasing my bike fitness.  I love triathlon and the community.

Edited by juniperjen 2012-07-27 10:29 AM
2012-07-27 10:32 AM

2012-07-27 10:46 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

So i got a strava KOM the day of my sprint tri 2 weeks ago, there is this little sprint a 1/4 mile from my house that is mostly downhill so on the way home i figured i would give it a shot. I got the KOM and about a week later i see that it is gone, so i emailed strava to find out what happened, and it turns out that someone flagged it because they thought it was done in a car, lol!!! 

I do not know whether to laugh or feel honored, i ended up doing the KOM again Thursday AM, and beat my original time, so i got it back and a nice note from the folks at Strava in regard to my original email.

2012-07-27 10:46 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

i will work on an updated bio, as mine is long in the tooth, i will have it posted later today

2012-07-27 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4333656

2012-07-27 10:56 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
In again - will post the bio when I am back in front of a real computer. Just posting to make sure I do not miss the 37 pages of posts before tomorrow.
2012-07-27 11:20 AM

Elite
Ontario

NAME: GoFaster / Neil

STORY: This is my 5th year of Tri's and trying to make it my breakout year.  I didn't have a background in any of the sports, but have taken to running, while swimming seems to give me the most trouble.  I'm generally solid MOP on the bike, but in my mind I should/could be better than that.  Got into Tri's because I'd been lifting weights for a couple of years, but recognized that I wasn't really in shape, and I wanted a new challenge. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, great wife, two crazy kids. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
The last few months have been very consistent for me, and although my swim times have not really improved I've spent more time in the pool now than ever before.  I switched to a Speed Concept from a road bike in the off season, and this has kept the motivation high for riding.  Not seeing a lot in terms of speed gains, but we'll see how the races shake out.  After a serious setback with calf issues that derailed my running at the end of Winter, my running (knock on wood) is probably at it's best point so far.

2011 RACES: HM where I went 1:33, some Sprints and the Muskoka 70.3 (5:52) - second time doing this race, and second time the hills handed me my behind.  

2012 RACES:  Have only raced one Sprint so far, and have one more Sprint, plus an Olympic before my A race of Muskoka 70.3 in September.  Perhaps a fall HM if I can make it work.

WEIGHTLOSS: Probably best we don't talk about this much, as I'm on the lighter side of the scale.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I've been lucky enough to be part of some great groups in the past (including two of Fred's), and have learned that this groups are a tremendous opportunity to share your own views, have those views critiqued, and hopefully help others while in the process of learning from others.  I also key off strong, motivated individuals - so a good group helps push me, and I want to contribute as much as possible.

2012-07-27 11:28 AM

Name: Jason

STORY:  3rd year of triathlon and endurance training.  Started out with my first 25k, 30k, half marathon, and marathon in late 2009.  Bought a road bike during that time, and took the plunge into tris.  Did a couple of sprints, olys, time trials and another half and full marathon in 2010.  Also started training with power in 2010.  Oh...and I live in Hawaii btw...

In my second season, I really wanted to put everything together and go from a rookie who didn't really know what he was doing, to getting more competitive.  I had a great year, and I raced a lot (for me anyway)...14 times.  A lot of the same races where I did much better, and added a few more races including my first HIM, and a couple of long distance cycling road races.

2012 is basically just a little more focused version of 2011.  I'm cutting out a few races to focus on the big ones.  So far 2012 has been successful.  PR'd by a decent margin in all my races, but have come up 30 seconds short of cracking an hour at the 40k TT.  I've also won my first race, which was a 36 mile cycling road race in the M18-34 CAT 4/5 division.

Training is a huge part of my life now.  It keeps me balanced and keeps me out of trouble.  I truely enjoy my training time and the friendships I've made through it.

FAMILY STATUS: GF is also a triathlete.  No kids, she has a cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: All cycling focus now with 3 more road races on the schedule.  After my last RR in early Sept, I plan to take a break for a couple of weeks as it will be the first time I don't have a race within 4 months.  Plan to just let my body recharge and slowly learn how to swim and run again.

2011 RACES:  Four running races including a marathon, 1 sprint, 2 olys, 1 HIM, 3 cycling TTs, 3 cycling road races.

2012 RACES:  Already completed a 8.15 mile running race, 3 TTs, an Oly, HIM, and one cycling road race.  3 more road races including the State Championships, Haleakala, and Dick Evans...the race around Oahu for which the original IM was founded.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I'm active on the forums, and I'm a sponge for knowledge.  I log every workout, and love to do analysis on my progress.  I've been training with power for nearly 2 years.

2012-07-27 11:29 AM

In again, but swamped at work due to leaving on vacation tonight, so will try to get a bio in, of not in two weeks when I return  

For Arend's question from the prior thread, Haleakala ride planned for 8/1 with an organized shop ride (they come along with SAG, extra clothes, etc., all I am bringing is kit and shoes/pedals).  But weather forecast shows lots of wind, so we'll see if it goes orr not.

Other than that, planning on swimming a lot as I have a 10K swim the weekend after I get back, and upping the running for a September HIM.

2012-07-27 11:43 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Name: Arend teRaa (just pronounced like Aaron with a hint of a D at the end)

Story: I was a swimmer as a kid, up to my first two years of University.  Didn't do anything else from a sports point of view, no biking, no running.  After I stopped swimming I pretty much went cold turkey on activity and didn't get back in a pool for about 12 years.  Then one day I saw that two of my old swimming buddies had done a local triathlon and my first thought was "I could do that!".  I bought a bike (hybrid), tried to run and then found BT.  It took me almost two years before I did a race, I fought my knees running for most of it until my physio straightened me out.  Been hooked ever since!

2011 Races: 3 Duathlons, 3 sprints, 1 Oly and 1 with odd distances but along the lines of an Olympic or a bit longer.  I was supposed to do a HIM as well but it was cancelled 2 weeks before it.  

2012 Races: I've done one sprint, one double duathlon and my main focus is IM Mont Tremblant which will be my first IM.  I also entered a race on July 1st that was going to be a long training day to test nutrition etc.  It was an IM distance swim, IM distance bike and then a 21.1k run.  Unfortunately I picked up a gastro bug and woke up that morning with some nasty cramps.  I started the race, swam 56:26 but as soon as I started the bike I couldn't take on any water or food without the cramps.  I gutted it out for 40k on the bike hoping it would improve before I bailed and turned around.

Family: It's my wife and I and our 3 dogs.  My wife is super supportive, she comes to all of my races and completely supports me in the long training hours.  She also trains a lot for duathlons, at least up until she crashed on her bike in early May.  That has put her out of commission with a separated shoulder and subsequent surgery.  She was training for the bike leg of an IM relay but that has been deferred to next year.

IM training has been very interesting for me.  I've really enjoyed it for the most part but I'm not sure it is going to be a distance I race often.  The run is going to be a huge question mark for me.  My left knee is constantly on the edge of flaring up on me and that has limited me somewhat in training.  My longest run has only been 26 kms (Gulp!).  

My plan for next year is to do some HIMs to see how I like that (I know, backwards....).

Edit: I see others putting in weight loss goals.  I'm 6'1" and in march weighed 177 lbs.  Since then I have gotten myself down to the low 160s.  My original goal was 165 so I'm happy with that for now.  I thought it would be a struggle to get there and everyone said I would be too skinny but now I see I could go lower if I really wanted to.  Only trouble is, I love to eat!  

Edited by axteraa 2012-07-27 11:53 AM
2012-07-27 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4333842

ChrisM - 2012-07-27 6:29 AM

In again, but swamped at work due to leaving on vacation tonight, so will try to get a bio in, of not in two weeks when I return  

For Arend's question from the prior thread, Haleakala ride planned for 8/1 with an organized shop ride (they come along with SAG, extra clothes, etc., all I am bringing is kit and shoes/pedals).  But weather forecast shows lots of wind, so we'll see if it goes orr not.

Other than that, planning on swimming a lot as I have a 10K swim the weekend after I get back, and upping the running for a September HIM.

That's great that you were able to get in with a group. 

Forecast is breezy...18 steady with gusts to 27...but that's not uncommon for Hawaii.  You'll notice that once you get above 4000 feet or so, the wind dies down significantly.  Last year when I did the race, it was very windy as well.

2012-07-27 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4333946

Elite
PEI, Canada
tri808 - 2012-07-27 1:55 PM

Forecast is breezy...18 steady with gusts to 27...but that's not uncommon for Hawaii.  You'll notice that once you get above 4000 feet or so, the wind dies down significantly.  Last year when I did the race, it was very windy as well.

Heh - "above 4000 feet".  I'm such a flatlander - I live on an island too but our highest elevation above sea level is 400 feet.  

2012-07-27 12:15 PM

Master
, California

Name:  Mark

Short Story:  I played club soccer at a pretty high level for many years.  Gave it up, finally, after my 3rd knee surgery.  I started doing triathlons as a way to occupy my time and keep me off the soccer field.  In high school and college I played water polo and I have some cycling background as well.  My racing has been focused on IM distance and I've done CdA the past 2 years, plus Western Australia last December.

I have a bit of genetics in my favor with mom qualifying for Boston last year

Family Status:  Single.

2011 Races:  IM CdA, IM Western Australia, Black Diamond HIM, Tri Rock Seattle Olympic.

2012 Races:  IM Canada coming up in August.

Weight goals:  6'2", pretty steadily 150-160lbs regardless of what I do.  I try to focus on just eating healthy foods with a lot of variety.

Finally: I'm recovering from a pulmonary embolism this summer and slowly getting back to normal.

2012-07-27 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4333946

tri808 - 2012-07-27 9:55 AM

Yeah, I just wasn't sure.  The weather.com forecast uses a special "wind" icon for severral days in our trip, but don't look any more than the normal NE tradewinds shown on other days.

I considered going it alone, but figured a group might be a little more fun.  It's a little bit of money, but everything in HI is a little bit of money

I've done a few rides in the 9K elevation range....  It's all about the pacing 

2012-07-27 12:55 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

NAME: rymac / Ryan

STORY: I have always been athletic and played alot of sports in school, primarily hockey and basketball and played hockey in college for 2 years. I really got into triathlon when I was getting into a healthier lifestyle about age 25 (2007). I am 31 now. I was already lifting weights 5 days a week when my friend asked if I wanted to do a sprint duathlon with him. So I ended up borrowing my sisters (way too small for me) bike and started training. My sister has completed IMCdA and IMFL before I ever got into the sport. I did pretty well in that duathlon and decided to try a local triathlon 2 months later and was hooked at that point. It was the 2009 season when I really got serious about training and seeing if I could really tap my potential and be good at this. I am really focused on Olympic and HIM distance at this point and the future mainly because I really want to be fast at that distance and have a good base before I ever do an IM distance.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have a 15 month old daughter Keelyn. Most of my training takes place very early in the morning and at my lunch hour to spend as much time with them as possible. They have been great.

CURRENT TRAINING: 8-12 hours per week.  Try to keep intensity fairly high to make up for the lack of volume.

2012 RACES: 2 HIM; 2 Olympics; Lots of running races from 10K to HM.  I have had PRs in both the 10K and 15K this year.  Hoping for sub 2:13 at my next Olympic and AG podium in my next HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: Would like to stay consistent in the 158-162 area.

2012-07-27 3:33 PM

Pro

Name: Elaine

Story: College D3 swimmer – still fairly new to running and biking. Did my first tri in 2006, and started competing regularly in 2009. Recently moved to Tucson and discovered that I actually enjoy cycling! Proud member of Team Rev3. Will spend the first half of 2013 training to be an officer in the Army National Guard… and I’m hoping to come back and qualify for the Army Tri team a year after that. It’s kind of a stretch, but I think it might be within reach. Sub-2:35 Oly needed for consideration.

Family Status: Living with the boyfriend and my dog.

Current training: Building from about 7 hours week, will peak around 12. Main focus is Superfrog on Sept 30. In a fairly cycling-heavy plan, but I think I need to add in a little more running. Swimming with masters 2x a week. Might jump to 3 when I can find the time/energy.

2011 Races: Austin 70.3 was my first half, did a few sprints and Olympics, and some stand-along running and swimming races.

2012 Races: ING Miami Marathon (negative split a 4:22), FIU Sprint Tri (3rd AG), Rev3 Quassy Olympic (didn't crash in the rain)… Rev3 Maine Half, Deuces Wild Xterra, Superfrog Half, Tinfoilman, Rev3 Florida Half, Ragnar Las Vegas. Oh crap. That's a lot.

Weight loss goals: I could probably go down 5 lbs, but I’m really not focused on this right now.

What would make me a good mentee: Well, for some reason, I thought that three half irons was a really good idea this season –so I need all of the help I can get! Really, I’m here to learn, observe, absorb, and share.

2012-07-27 3:46 PM

Elite
Ontario

Jason - your patience and tolerance of GD is much, much greater than mine.  Kicking myself for having ever posted in one of her threads. 

Will refrain from any other comments...

2012-07-27 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4334563

GoFaster - 2012-07-27 10:46 AM

Jason - your patience and tolerance of GD is much, much greater than mine.  Kicking myself for having ever posted in one of her threads. 

LOL.  I've come to accept who she is, and her stubborness.

One thing that upsets me though is that I think her coach is robbing her.  Who on earth lets someone like that sign up for an IM?  I sure hope Deb is finacially well off (I don't think she has money pouring out of her ears) because she's spending a lot of money on her dreams, only to have them crushed next June.  It's not my place to do it, but someone needs to give her a reality check.  If I were a coach, someone being paid, I would feel inclined to make her realize what she's doing, and if not, refuse to be her coach.  I honestly fear that IMCdA will be an epic failure for her, she'll start a train wreck thread on why she DNF'd, and it could emotionaly scar her forever.  It was kind of funny at first when she talked about dreams of Kona, doing ultras, etc.  But now that you actually see her investing real time and money into unrealistic goals...it's kind of sad.

2012-07-27 4:23 PM

Champion
I will update my bio once I'm in front of a real computer as well. An update though: IM DONE THIRD YEAR MEDICINE!!! WOOT WOOT!

2012-07-27 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4334658

Master
, California
tri808 - 2012-07-27 2:12 PM
GoFaster - 2012-07-27 10:46 AM

LOL.  I've come to accept who she is, and her stubborness.

One thing that upsets me though is that I think her coach is robbing her.  Who on earth lets someone like that sign up for an IM?  I sure hope Deb is finacially well off (I don't think she has money pouring out of her ears) because she's spending a lot of money on her dreams, only to have them crushed next June.  It's not my place to do it, but someone needs to give her a reality check.  If I were a coach, someone being paid, I would feel inclined to make her realize what she's doing, and if not, refuse to be her coach.  I honestly fear that IMCdA will be an epic failure for her, she'll start a train wreck thread on why she DNF'd, and it could emotionaly scar her forever.  It was kind of funny at first when she talked about dreams of Kona, doing ultras, etc.  But now that you actually see her investing real time and money into unrealistic goals...it's kind of sad.

That CdA choice really struck me as odd.  Every thing on her checklist comparing CdA versus Texas pointed her towards Texas.  Then she picks the other one.

Sorry but if you're swimming 3m/100 at CdA, your day will be over after the swim, even if you barely make the cutoff.  It's just too cold.

2012-07-27 4:29 PM

2012-07-27 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4334687

2012-07-27 4:31 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group - Part II Rss Feed  

of 104