General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BAA expands field for 2014 Boston Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-29 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: BAA expands field for 2014 Boston Marathon
Pretty hopeful about this when it comes to my chances of actually getting in. Any other BTers also BQers this year?

http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/2013/08/29/baa-expands-field-for-boston-marathon/prPIUvGtqUyCcFm19Y4C6N/story.html 

2013-08-29 11:12 AM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: BAA expands field for 2014 Boston Marathon
Yes, definitely glad to see this especially considering I only went BQ -3minutes. Hopefully that still gets me in. The shame is I had a lot more in me at the finish.
2013-08-29 11:59 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Seattle
I'm happy to hear this. I think that everyone who wants to run, and qualifies this year should be able to. It means a lot more to some than just finishing a marathon this year. 
2013-08-29 12:47 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
It is going to be a very, very special day.  I have a lot of work ahead of me if I even get close to ever qualifying.  I didn't realize the special invite list was so long at 20% of field.  Seems like a lot.
2013-08-29 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm happy to hear this. I think that everyone who wants to run, and qualifies this year should be able to. It means a lot more to some than just finishing a marathon this year. 

Call me stupid but I'm now considering not even bothering and just racing San Juan 70.3 instead. I had kind of hoped to run Boston with my cousin since he is responsible for starting this addiction and ran my first mary with me. Unfortunately he was not able to make his qualy attempt this year due to injury so he's out til at least 2015. I could always qualify again next year and lay down at least a minus 5, if not a minus 10 by then.
2013-08-29 1:07 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by thebigb
Originally posted by Asalzwed I'm happy to hear this. I think that everyone who wants to run, and qualifies this year should be able to. It means a lot more to some than just finishing a marathon this year. 
Call me stupid but I'm now considering not even bothering and just racing San Juan 70.3 instead. I had kind of hoped to run Boston with my cousin since he is responsible for starting this addiction and ran my first mary with me. Unfortunately he was not able to make his qualy attempt this year due to injury so he's out til at least 2015. I could always qualify again next year and lay down at least a minus 5, if not a minus 10 by then.

Eh I dunno, if your heart isn't pulling you to be there I don't think it's stupid at all.

Turns out the marathon has been there for a really, really long time and it's going to be there whenever you are ready.

2013-08-29 8:09 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by thebigb Yes, definitely glad to see this especially considering I only went BQ -3minutes. Hopefully that still gets me in. The shame is I had a lot more in me at the finish.

you're good.  they expanded by 9000, and only 4500 are coming that didn't get a chance to finish it last year.  and last year - if you qualified, you got in.  and then entries were taking through much of October before it filled up.  

which is good.  I think that's the whole point of them lowering the qualifying times and expanding.  It ain't easy... but if you've got what it takes, they'll take you.

congrats on the BQ.

2013-09-10 5:00 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Seattle

My application just officially got accepted! 

I am REALLY looking forward to this year.

2013-09-10 5:29 PM

User image

They are only excepting 22,000 qualified runner this year, that is only an increase of 1000 over last years total so that extra 9000 in really only 1000 and the other 8000 will go to charities and invited runners. Also there first day of sign ups were up almost 50% over last year abd that is only the BQ-20 group. I expect it will sell out next week and there will be a lot of BQ's that do get to run next year. I do not think a qualifying time gets you in, if you are a BQ-5 Iam sure you will get in but where the line will get drawn during week two nobody knows but I am pretty sure it will be fll after the second week. I hope every who BQ'd gets in but I think there will be quite a big number that gets shut out next year due to what happened this year.
2013-09-10 5:41 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Expert
New York

Congrats, Adrienne -- looking forward to your 2014 race report & all your awesome, silly photos (your 2013 RR still makes me smile)!

I hope there are still spots left over by Friday, which is when I get to register.

And I, too, hope everyone who qualified gets in because if there's ONE certainty about the 2014 Boston Marathon, it's that it's gonna be a really amazing race.

2013-09-10 7:44 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by thebigb Yes, definitely glad to see this especially considering I only went BQ -3minutes. Hopefully that still gets me in. The shame is I had a lot more in me at the finish.

you're good.  they expanded by 9000, and only 4500 are coming that didn't get a chance to finish it last year.  and last year - if you qualified, you got in.  and then entries were taking through much of October before it filled up.  

which is good.  I think that's the whole point of them lowering the qualifying times and expanding.  It ain't easy... but if you've got what it takes, they'll take you.

congrats on the BQ.

I hope you're right but I wouldn't count on it. It's possible that it doesn't get past this week. After day one they already had 4,000ish and that was just the -20 folks.

2013-09-10 8:23 PM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Wilmington NC
I just wish I was even close to being fast enough to qualify. I would be honored to run 2014, might just have to take a spring vacation and watch from the sidelines. It's going to be a memorable one for sure!
Good luck to all trying to get in!
BOSTON STRONG!
2013-09-10 8:54 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by navbtcretThey are only excepting 22,000 qualified runner this year, that is only an increase of 1000 over last years total so that extra 9000 in really only 1000 and the other 8000 will go to charities and invited runners. Also there first day of sign ups were up almost 50% over last year abd that is only the BQ-20 group. I expect it will sell out next week and there will be a lot of BQ's that do get to run next year. I do not think a qualifying time gets you in, if you are a BQ-5 Iam sure you will get in but where the line will get drawn during week two nobody knows but I am pretty sure it will be fll after the second week. I hope every who BQ'd gets in but I think there will be quite a big number that gets shut out next year due to what happened this year.
Yeah, I was wondering why the increase to the time qualifying field was so small? Only 1K? Seems odd.
2013-09-11 8:08 AM

User image

Originally posted by navbtcretThey are only excepting 22,000 qualified runner this year, that is only an increase of 1000 over last years total so that extra 9000 in really only 1000 and the other 8000 will go to charities and invited runners. Also there first day of sign ups were up almost 50% over last year abd that is only the BQ-20 group. I expect it will sell out next week and there will be a lot of BQ's that do get to run next year. I do not think a qualifying time gets you in, if you are a BQ-5 Iam sure you will get in but where the line will get drawn during week two nobody knows but I am pretty sure it will be fll after the second week. I hope every who BQ'd gets in but I think there will be quite a big number that gets shut out next year due to what happened this year.
Yeah, I was wondering why the increase to the time qualifying field was so small? Only 1K? Seems odd.

I was wondering also and my thought, right or wrong are, I think they are going to offer more spots to invited runners. These invited runners I think will be a good amount of the volunteers that were there responding to the aftermath and the emergency responders, police, firemen and medical staff. Just my thoughts and I hope I am right as to where those 8000 other bibs will go.

I am a plus 5 so I am sure I will get in but have to wait until Friday to sign up. I have already bought a nonrefundable plane ticker and booked a hotel so if it somehow fills up and I can not run I will still go to Boston but I will be volunteer instead and I would be perfectly ok with that. I just want to be part of it one way or another and I will be.
2013-09-11 8:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Of the 9000 extra spots, about 4000 already went to those with guaranteed entries for not being able to finish in 2013. Most of the remainder will go to invitational and charity entries.

So far they've only released numbers for Monday's registration and they said about 4000 registered on the first day. That's a lot more than usual in the -20 category. There are lot more registrants among runners who would qualify easily but aren't normally interested in running Boston year after year.
All this means that it's going to be pretty tight for people who have to wait till next week to register (those within 5 minutes of their qualifying times). Some people even say -5 is not guaranteed, but we shall see.

Good luck to everyone trying to get in.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-09-11 8:47 AM
2013-09-11 11:08 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah we will see what happens.  I've decided that if I can get in, I'm running it.  If not then I guess I just have that motivation to go nail a sub three at Mother's next year and do Boston in '15.  

2013-09-11 11:25 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by thebigb Yeah we will see what happens.  I've decided that if I can get in, I'm running it.  If not then I guess I just have that motivation to go nail a sub three at Mother's next year and do Boston in '15.  

Oh good, I am glad to hear that Smile

Mother's? Hmmmmm which one is that?

2013-09-11 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by thebigb Yeah we will see what happens.  I've decided that if I can get in, I'm running it.  If not then I guess I just have that motivation to go nail a sub three at Mother's next year and do Boston in '15.  

It's in Minnesota, always produces a large number of BQs.  I've never ran it but have friends that do every year and they rave about it.  

2013-09-11 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
New York

The countdown to lucky Friday the 13th continues for me. I am NOT good at being patient.

Or rather, at THIS point, with a BQ that took three years to get because of sidelining injuries, I am not good at being patient.

Anyone else, or am I in this psychosis all by my lonesome?

2013-09-11 12:20 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by thebigb

It's in Minnesota, always produces a large number of BQs.  I've never ran it but have friends that do every year and they rave about it.  

Oh oh oh, Grandma's? 

I didn't read between the lines into the cool kids lingo Smile

I'd like to run that one day

2013-09-11 12:24 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by swishyskirt

The countdown to lucky Friday the 13th continues for me. I am NOT good at being patient.

Or rather, at THIS point, with a BQ that took three years to get because of sidelining injuries, I am not good at being patient.

I know plenty of people in that boat. Actually, I know a few in the BQ by a minute boat. That's a tough one. 

2013-09-11 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
The cahnces of me BQ'ing are slim and none...more towards NONE but I wouldlike tog o volunteer in the med tent.  My friend was working med tent at the finish line this year.  She runs Harvards Gait lab. 
2013-09-11 12:27 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by Socks

The cahnces of me BQ'ing are slim and none...more towards NONE but I wouldlike tog o volunteer in the med tent.  My friend was working med tent at the finish line this year.  She runs Harvards Gait lab. 

I worked the med tent at the finish every year when I lived up there. Now I work NYs - I knew many of the people running out, and felt guilty I was not there helping.

So I am grateful for the expanded field as I am hoping to run on a charity bib. Me who said NEVER to a marathon....
2013-09-11 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
New York

I know plenty of people in that boat. Actually, I know a few in the BQ by a minute boat. That's a tough one. 

I think about those by-a-minuters often, mostly because I realize more than a few are significantly faster than I could ever be.

The solution here, of course, it they just need to make sure the Boston Marathon ship is big enough for ALL of us fools!

2013-09-11 1:22 PM

User image

Seattle

I think about those by-a-minuters often, mostly because I realize more than a few are significantly faster than I could ever be.

The solution here, of course, it they just need to make sure the Boston Marathon ship is big enough for ALL of us fools!

Actually, that is something I kind of wonder about ...

Obviously there will always be a limit on how many people can enter a race, particularly Boston.

But for all of the people that BQ but have to fret over whether or not you will get in, would you prefer having a tougher BQ standard with a guaranteed entry? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BAA expands field for 2014 Boston Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hal's thoughts on Boston 2014

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 768 Posts: 3

2013-04-23 4:23 PM Asalzwed

Getting past the registration flood for Boston 2014

Started by Axis of Weasel
Views: 1379 Posts: 5

2013-04-22 10:56 AM RedCorvette

Help on BQ-ing in 2014 with triathlon

Started by Acee
Views: 2298 Posts: 7

2013-05-20 2:21 AM AdventureBear

If you run and die in Boston it is not on the BAA Pages: 1 2

Started by BigDH
Views: 3620 Posts: 46

2012-04-16 7:56 PM Maine Rob

Boston Marathon & Elite Field

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 825 Posts: 3

2012-01-13 4:19 PM colinphillips
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area