Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Obesity Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-10-17 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Obesity
Patient: The problem is that obesity runs in our family.

Doctor: No, the problem is that no one runs in your family.

2013-10-17 8:37 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Obesity

Originally posted by Rogillio Patient: The problem is that obesity runs in our family. Doctor: No, the problem is that no one runs in your family.

lol, I like it.

On a serious note, in my opinion it does "run in the family" but it's because the "lifestyle" runs in the family.  I had very obese parents and we grew up on a horrible diet with lots of fried foods and little nutrition.  So, no big shock that as I got older I continued to eat like crap and became obese.

2013-10-17 8:44 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Rogillio Patient: The problem is that obesity runs in our family. Doctor: No, the problem is that no one runs in your family.

lol, I like it.

On a serious note, in my opinion it does "run in the family" but it's because the "lifestyle" runs in the family.  I had very obese parents and we grew up on a horrible diet with lots of fried foods and little nutrition.  So, no big shock that as I got older I continued to eat like crap and became obese.

Too funny.  I like that as well.

2013-10-17 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

lol, I like it.

I grew up in the deep south....where they will take something as healthy as a tomato and fry it.
2013-10-17 9:09 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

lol, I like it.

I grew up in the deep south....where they will take something as healthy as a tomato and fry it.

Wait.......I can't eat fried tomatoes?  That's not happening.

2013-10-17 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
That's funny

Obesity is a huge health problem in this country but we are afraid to address it. My hospital administrators frown on me diagnosing people as obese because it reduces patient satisfaction ratings. I correlate obesity with smoking, equally dangerous and destructive. 20-30 years ago, we all knew smoking was dangerous but no one wanted to offend anyone. We have to put anti-obesity on the same level as we now have anti-tobacco. Or we could avoid hurting peoples feelings and just build more dialysis clinics.

2013-10-17 9:29 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by La Tortuga That's funny Obesity is a huge health problem in this country but we are afraid to address it. My hospital administrators frown on me diagnosing people as obese because it reduces patient satisfaction ratings. I correlate obesity with smoking, equally dangerous and destructive. 20-30 years ago, we all knew smoking was dangerous but no one wanted to offend anyone. We have to put anti-obesity on the same level as we now have anti-tobacco. Or we could avoid hurting peoples feelings and just build more dialysis clinics.

I agree with this.  My Dad had a girlfriend who was easily pushing 400 lbs. and when she'd get back from the doctor she'd go on and on about how "he said I had the heart of a 20 year old" or something dumb like that.  It's like the doctor is trying to build up her self esteem to make her think she's healthy in some weird way.  It certainly didn't motivate her to do anything about her weight.

I'm thinking "Hey, you're going to be dead in 5 years if you don't lose weight" is an approach that would have a better chance at changing the pattern.

2013-10-17 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by La Tortuga

That's funny

Obesity is a huge health problem in this country but we are afraid to address it. My hospital administrators frown on me diagnosing people as obese because it reduces patient satisfaction ratings. I correlate obesity with smoking, equally dangerous and destructive. 20-30 years ago, we all knew smoking was dangerous but no one wanted to offend anyone. We have to put anti-obesity on the same level as we now have anti-tobacco. Or we could avoid hurting peoples feelings and just build more dialysis clinics.

We could put Surgeon General's warning on boxes of donuts, "Warming, the Surgeon General has determined that eating donuts will make you fat."

Or on the sides of bottle of Coke, "The surgeon general has determined there is absolutely zero nutritional value in this beverage. Consumption of this beverage will lead to diabetes, heart disease and death."
2013-10-17 9:38 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by La Tortuga That's funny Obesity is a huge health problem in this country but we are afraid to address it. My hospital administrators frown on me diagnosing people as obese because it reduces patient satisfaction ratings. I correlate obesity with smoking, equally dangerous and destructive. 20-30 years ago, we all knew smoking was dangerous but no one wanted to offend anyone. We have to put anti-obesity on the same level as we now have anti-tobacco. Or we could avoid hurting peoples feelings and just build more dialysis clinics.
We could put Surgeon General's warning on boxes of donuts, "Warming, the Surgeon General has determined that eating donuts will make you fat." Or on the sides of bottle of Coke, "The surgeon general has determined there is absolutely zero nutritional value in this beverage. Consumption of this beverage will lead to diabetes, heart disease and death."

Or, people could take personal responsibility for what they put in their pie hole.

2013-10-17 9:42 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by lisac957

We could put Surgeon General's warning on boxes of donuts, "Warming, the Surgeon General has determined that eating donuts will make you fat." Or on the sides of bottle of Coke, "The surgeon general has determined there is absolutely zero nutritional value in this beverage. Consumption of this beverage will lead to diabetes, heart disease and death."

Or, people could take personal responsibility for what they put in their pie hole.

I agree 100%. The government ought not be in the business of telling people smoking is bad for you and you should use a condom for safe sex. The government ought not make prostitution illegal and make it criminal to grow a weed that grows naturally in nature.
2013-10-17 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I think your hospital administrators should be worried about the health of the patient, but they also have to be aware of how the money will continue to come in to pay for everything that is needed.  We have a local doctor who says what he thinks and there are some patients that dislike that, but at least he isn't being told he can't tell them not to smoke, and to eat healthier and exercise.  He actually doesn't take any new patients as he is over-booked as it is.  They may not like what he says, but they keep going back to him because he is very good.

I have also heard of very obese people being told they are fine and have a great heart of someone much younger.  I have never hear the doctor say that, just what they have said the doctor said.  I can't believe a doctor would tell anyone that they have a heart of someone much younger that they actually are.  They could say the blood work up is all in the OK range and there seems to be no issues at this time, but to tell them they have a younger heart.  Really???

2013-10-17 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

What's this personal responsibility thing you speak of?  It's not my fault, it's my parents fault.  :-)

2013-10-17 9:47 AM

User image

Pro

I couldn't care less if people are fat. 

2013-10-17 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

When I worked as a personal trainer, one of the things that seemed to really click with people was taking body composition and then showing them where they fell on the spectrum.  I worked with one woman who was 49% fat at 350lbs.  I showed her where she fell and she told me when she saw "morbidly obese" that it really scared her. 

Morbidly. Obese. 

Being fat: it's not just about the way it looks.

2013-10-17 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I have a very obese family on my mom's side. Maybe they did not like it because it was apart of the ACA but they HATED the idea of calories in menus. They probably spend more time "dieting" in there life then they do not but still they do not want the info. I love it. In the few places that have it I will admit I have changed my mind based on the numbers.

2013-10-17 10:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Left Brain

Why not?!  They're lazy, they're slow, and they make me sad to look at!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcJu53g2lFU

Edited by msteiner 2013-10-17 10:10 AM

2013-10-17 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

lol, I like it.

they do that because fried tomatoes are DELICIOUS.  duh!

2013-10-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama

I could care less....I bet you could care less too if you tried.
2013-10-17 11:09 AM

User image

Pro

I could care less....I bet you could care less too if you tried.

Nope......I'm on the ground floor of  "don't care"...there is no way I could care less.

2013-10-17 12:54 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, if the problem was limited to them and their lifestyle.  I would agree.  To each their own.  I WISH obesity was just something you did to your body like tattoos or piercings.  I guess if you like the "look" over being overweight - go for it.  Unfortunately, it impacts everyone to some extent.  

When MY health insurance rates go up to take care of the rising cardiac disease and diabetes, I sort of care.  Or the loss of production/efficiency in the work place...

Until they start jacking up rate JUST for the obese, or cut mine for having lower BF, I will have some concern. 

2013-10-17 1:11 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

Well, if the problem was limited to them and their lifestyle.  I would agree.  To each their own.  I WISH obesity was just something you did to your body like tattoos or piercings.  I guess if you like the "look" over being overweight - go for it.  Unfortunately, it impacts everyone to some extent.  

When MY health insurance rates go up to take care of the rising cardiac disease and diabetes, I sort of care.  Or the loss of production/efficiency in the work place...

Until they start jacking up rate JUST for the obese, or cut mine for having lower BF, I will have some concern. 

There you go....that's the answer.  Regulating what/how people eat is NOT the answer.....like I said, I couldn't care less if someone is fat, or obese, or unhealthy....who cares?  I don't care if they die early because of it either. Personal choices.

2013-10-17 1:16 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Agree.
What I find interesting is that my company, along with lots of others, are moving toward giving discounts on health insurance premiums for simply taking a health assessment (and more if you do other stuff like get a flu shot, complete a walking challenge, etc.). What's perplexing is that the results don't matter one bit - just that you took the assessment. Maybe it's a first step.

2013-10-17 1:22 PM

User image

Pro

I'm just sick of hearing all of the crazy weight loss stories...

...I mean, sure, a story about a healthy-weight person that maintained a healthy weight for their entire lives isn't nearly as interesting, but THEY are the ones that deserve praise and publicity!

2013-10-17 2:12 PM

User image

Agree.
What I find interesting is that my company, along with lots of others, are moving toward giving discounts on health insurance premiums for simply taking a health assessment (and more if you do other stuff like get a flu shot, complete a walking challenge, etc.). What's perplexing is that the results don't matter one bit - just that you took the assessment. Maybe it's a first step.

Many in my office feel this is an information gathering step.  The guess is more accurate pricing based on the health of the pool.  It's a bit conspiracy theorish for me but it brings up an interesting point as you noted, results do not matter.

2013-10-17 3:11 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Agree.

Many in my office feel this is an information gathering step.  The guess is more accurate pricing based on the health of the pool.  It's a bit conspiracy theorish for me but it brings up an interesting point as you noted, results do not matter.

that's ok, we know who they are...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Obesity Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Why does America have an obesity problem? Pages: 1 2

Started by Bigfuzzydoug
Views: 3510 Posts: 49

2010-07-19 10:33 AM Pector55

Obesity shows comming our way Pages: 1 2

Started by mkarr0110
Views: 2474 Posts: 33

2010-07-02 10:44 AM trinnas

Obesity = 'Severe Brain Degeneration'

Started by KSH
Views: 995 Posts: 14

2009-08-26 12:34 PM mrbbrad

Childhood obesity causes: A poll Pages: 1 2 3

Started by bradword
Views: 2844 Posts: 61

2009-08-23 8:18 PM ChineseDemocracy

Is Obesity a Disease? Pages: 1 2

Started by GolfMark
Views: 2033 Posts: 33

2006-10-14 5:36 PM dredwards
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 26, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
If we don’t stop the obesity epidemic, an estimated 42% of all Americans will be obese in 18 years. One-third will be diabetic. Our kids will die at a younger age than their parents.

date : October 8, 2009
comments : 3
I knew I needed to make a commitment to a lifestyle change. Encouraged by other weight-loss surgery runners, triathletes and even Ironmen, I set goals to become an active triathlete.