BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-09 10:35 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN

Originally posted by bcraht

ermagawd I can't keep up!  And I have to go to class!  Ok, welcome David and Marc.  I know there is one other new Manatee still, I will get there I promise!  Nice to have another Aussie on board.  Marc, I am not French Canadienne, BUT, I was in French Immersion from la maternelle jusqua my premiere annee a l'Universite.  I *used* to be fluent, but have lost a lot as I don't use it.  But if you need another frenchie to jump into the water with the Manatees, I can fake it .  Nice to have you hear.  

Oh, and you 'Muricans may not steal Monica, she is ours. 

We did not steal her, she left on her own accord!

2014-01-09 11:03 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 Welcome to the pod David, Marc and Jill! I hope I haven't missed any newbies! Janyne/Chris I think we need a new Manatee roster!

What gives you the impression that we are not keeping up with these things?

Exactly. Check the table, Mable!!!! Janyne is rocking the list!

I should have known to check Janyne's log!
2014-01-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

ermagawd I can't keep up!  And I have to go to class!  Ok, welcome David and Marc.  I know there is one other new Manatee still, I will get there I promise!  Nice to have another Aussie on board.  Marc, I am not French Canadienne, BUT, I was in French Immersion from la maternelle jusqua my premiere annee a l'Universite.  I *used* to be fluent, but have lost a lot as I don't use it.  But if you need another frenchie to jump into the water with the Manatees, I can fake it .  Nice to have you hear.  

Oh, and you 'Muricans may not steal Monica, she is ours. 

We did not steal her, she left on her own accord!

Hey now, I went to another Commonwealth land first and had plans of being there for a while... This is all Tony's fault for taking me to 'Murika!!  

No worries Kirsten- I'm still Canuckian!!    

2014-01-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Gah - work makes me actually do WORK and look what happens, I miss all the new Manatees!  Fachme!  

WELCOME TO THE CRAZY (but in a good way) MANATEE POD!  

Hello to Marc (sorry, not a Frenchie either, but I can do a mean fake French accent), Jill, Ashley, David, Kim and Lana!  

2014-01-09 1:27 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Loving all the new Manatee stories!!!!!!!!! I might have to make myself a cheat sheet to keep you all straight until we get to know you better!

So my run was fine yesterday (I even went all matchy-matchy, see photo ) but today the left IT hurts. This is the one that was bothering me last time so, like last time, I'll move my... ankle weight... and see if it helps. Wondering if I should do my easy run today tho...

2014-01-09 1:39 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Think you may enjoy this article about running buddy rules  http://www.fleetfeetstlouis.com/news/the-running-buddy-prenup

Interesting article.  I've never done a race with a running buddy but I have done 100k charity rides with groups a lot of times.  If I feel like I can't keep up and need to move to another group, I always say "Go on!" to let them know that they can drop me with no hard feelings.  In fact, a lot of those rule apply to group rides.

Thanks for sharing!

I did WDW with my sis. I was tuckered out at the end (it was my first) so I gave her the go sign with a mile left. She waited anyway. The run buddy dynamic is an interesting one, to say the least.

I don't train with anyone but I've run "races" with my SIL, DS1 and DS2 (all seperately). With SIL and DS1 it's pretty much a given that my job is to not let them walk the whole thing. When DS2 and I did RnR Denver we were in seperate corrals but I'm looking forward to when we can race together. The upcoming Running of the Green will include all of the afore mentioned family members. I told DS2 it will not be a PR race unless he wants to leave Auntie Laura and big brother behind.

2014-01-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by QueenZipp

I tried to swim an IM set last night.  All I can say is where the heck was any CUTE lifeguard for CPR?  Darn that fly kills me!

Was it CPR you wanted or mouth to mouth ?

Win!

2014-01-09 2:40 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Welcome Jill!  Congrats to you and the other MaNewTees who have posted about significant weight loss!

2014-01-09 2:47 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Welcome Jill!  Congrats to you and the other MaNewTees who have posted about significant weight loss!

I like it!

2014-01-09 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Loving all the new Manatee stories!!!!!!!!! I might have to make myself a cheat sheet to keep you all straight until we get to know you better!

So my run was fine yesterday (I even went all matchy-matchy, see photo ) but today the left IT hurts. This is the one that was bothering me last time so, like last time, I'll move my... ankle weight... and see if it helps. Wondering if I should do my easy run today tho...

One day of rest (if needed) beats the easy run it replaces (at least in my pea sized brain.) But a week of the same is not the same.

Got that?????

2014-01-09 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

One day of rest (if needed) beats the easy run it replaces (at least in my pea sized brain.) But a week of the same is not the same.

Got that?????

Clear as mud . The easy run isn't even on the calendar. I just thought I'd throw it in since I "only" have a swim today. BTW, I forgot to attach the matchy-matchy pic. I was wearing a lime green headband too

Edited by rrrunner 2014-01-09 2:58 PM

(matchymatchy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
matchymatchy.jpg (122KB - 4 downloads)

2014-01-09 3:02 PM

User image

Seattle

Got that?????

Clear as mud . The easy run isn't even on the calendar. I just thought I'd throw it in since I "only" have a swim today. BTW, I forgot to attach the matchy-matchy pic.

You should spend the time you might have during your run to do some hip/outside leg strengthening exercises. Especially since you have had IT band issues in the past.

To all:

Developing an efficient routine of strengthening exercises in key in preventing/minimizing injuries. 

Think  about past injuries and then think about the muscles that support whatever is injury prone and strengthen those! It's much better to be proactive than to get injured and have a set back.

2014-01-09 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

I haven't thrown away my last three pairs of  dollar store running shoes.   I noticed a pattern of wear that was consistent in each pair.   Did a Google search on wear patterns.   Seems I am guilty of  under pronation.   Looked up on line the shoes for this condition.   They cost between $100 to $150 per pair.    Frugal me says no way.   It will be cheaper to retrain my gait.   So I get on the treadmill and did a 15 minute walk and concentrated on over pronationing.   Statistics says I might average out my gait to perfect this way.    Just me being a scientist and my experiment  only applies to me.  N=1 and all that.   And I'm bored as can be.  

Monday I will return to work.  This break was unusual as we had four weeks off between semesters.   Don't want to do that again.

2014-01-09 3:06 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I can't really fully commit to a lot right now. But for the sake of "following the rules."

NAME: Adrienne
STORY: I run a lot
FAMILY STATUS: Partner, almost 8 years (Jen) 3 cats all grey, 1 pug blonde
CURRENT TRAINING: A periodized/seasonal running plan with marathon as the emphasis. Currently in week 2 of a 16 week marathon plan
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: A whole lotta (like 20?)
2013 RACES/EVENTS: a bunch of running races. Distances from the mile-marathon. Road, XC and track
BODY COMPOSITION: Always striving for the best composition for whatever my training focus is. Easier said than done.

2014-01-09 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Got that?????

Clear as mud . The easy run isn't even on the calendar. I just thought I'd throw it in since I "only" have a swim today. BTW, I forgot to attach the matchy-matchy pic.

You should spend the time you might have during your run to do some hip/outside leg strengthening exercises. Especially since you have had IT band issues in the past.

To all:

Developing an efficient routine of strengthening exercises in key in preventing/minimizing injuries. 

Think  about past injuries and then think about the muscles that support whatever is injury prone and strengthen those! It's much better to be proactive than to get injured and have a set back.

I don't disagree (of course not, you ARE the master, *she bows*, no sarcasm intended). I've been doing really good about stretching after the whole hip mess last fall. However... fitting in strength with s/b/r AND work AND a family = crazy

2014-01-09 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Got that?????

To all:

I don't disagree (of course not, you ARE the master, *she bows*, no sarcasm intended). I've been doing really good about stretching after the whole hip mess last fall. However... fitting in strength with s/b/r AND work AND a family = crazy

Keep switching the ankle weight around 

2014-01-09 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Got that?????

To all:

I am the cautionary tale for those who have not done this! I have learned from my mistakes- finally, and am now religious about taking care of not only my hamstring, but all the other muscles that are affected by and affect it. DON'T BE LIKE THE OLD ME!!!!!!!!
2014-01-09 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I can't really fully commit to a lot right now. But for the sake of "following the rules."

CURRENT TRAINING: A periodized/seasonal running plan with marathon as the emphasis. Currently in week 2 of a 16 week marathon plan
2013 RACES/EVENTS: a bunch of running races. Distances from the mile-marathon. Road, XC and track
BODY COMPOSITION: Always striving for the best composition for whatever my training focus is. Easier said than done.

Yaaaah! someone I know and I don't have to look up on my cheat sheet of names to BT ids. I printed it and even took notes:-)
2014-01-09 3:43 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marcag

Yaaaah! someone I know and I don't have to look up on my cheat sheet of names to BT ids. I printed it and even took notes:-)

Me too

2014-01-09 4:10 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Me too

Probably a good idea!  You guys are so smart, S-M-R-T, I mean, s-m-a-r-t!

2014-01-09 4:31 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

That's awesome that your husband is a Boilermaker! That's where my husband and I met, so Purdue has a special place in my heart for that reason and many others

I would love to chat with someone else who is following a NSNG diet. My hubby and I are just starting out and still have several questions.

2014-01-09 4:36 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

I hope you survived the winter storm we had this week! Wind chills at -30 to -40 is no fun at all! Plus a foot of snow...is it spring yet?!
2014-01-09 4:45 PM
in reply to: jilliebeanmn

User image

Originally posted by jilliebeanmn

NAME: Jill

STORY: Wanna be athlete. I am 50 years old, widowed, and have led a very sedentary life. That all changed last year when I took control of my life. I started biking and so far I have lost almost 90 pounds. I have another 60 to go, and I want to be at goal by September 2014.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting the couch to sprint training next week!

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Lake Marion Triathlon - Short Course

2013 RACES/EVENTS: None

BODY COMPOSITION: 87 pounds down, 60 to go!

I am as new as a newbie can be, but I have my mind set on this and I WILL do it. I don't care if I am dragging my own carcass across the finish line!

Hi Jill! It sounds like we are in the same boat as far as our "newness" to the sport of triathlon! Best of luck in getting started with your training! Just curious - are you using the couch to sprint plan from the January issue of triathlete magazine?

Ashley
2014-01-09 4:46 PM

User image

Seattle

Got that?????

To all:

It's all about prioritization. And the s/b/r isn't going anywhere if you are injured. 

2014-01-09 4:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Me too

Probably a good idea!  You guys are so smart, S-M-R-T, I mean, s-m-a-r-t!

Clearly I am not nearly that SMRT as it never even crossed my poor little pea brain that this might be a good idea.  DOH!  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25840 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38402 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18413 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.