BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-06-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Anyone toeing the line this weekend?  I'll be doing the Liberty Half Ironman in Minnesota tomorrow.  I managed a M45-49 AG win there in 2008 (can't believe its been that long) but haven't been back since....we'll see what happens with the M50-54 tomorrow.  Good luck to anyone racing.

I believe Nicole is doing an ITT and TTT this weekend. I'll also be doing a 40k TT on Sunday.

2014-06-06 11:01 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

Anyone toeing the line this weekend?  I'll be doing the Liberty Half Ironman in Minnesota tomorrow.  I managed a M45-49 AG win there in 2008 (can't believe its been that long) but haven't been back since....we'll see what happens with the M50-54 tomorrow.  Good luck to anyone racing.

I believe Nicole is doing an ITT and TTT this weekend. I'll also be doing a 40k TT on Sunday.

Yep, ITT tomorrow and TTT on Sunday.  I'm excited and a little bit nervous (apprehensive about how much it's going to hurt!!).  I also just found out that sleeveless is legal!  I know it might not be the most aero, but it's all I've got....and given that it's my first, I might as well set the bar a little low so I can PR next time around.

I am putting the disc cover on though  

2014-06-06 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
I'm going to jump into the Nutmeg Classic here. State Crit Championships.

Do have a slight issue though as my shoe blew up this morning before my ride and I had to duct tape my left shoe on my foot for the ride.

2008 s-works road shoes...may have to bite the bullet.
2014-06-06 12:04 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

I think this is my first back to back...  racing Redondo Beach sprint this Sunday.  My first tri back in 2005 when it started and I've raced or volunteered every year.  Short (.5 mile/6 mile/2 mile) but if you race it it's a bear as it's all out for :50 ... or less  ) .   Podium'd here as a clyde, goal is to podium in the 45-59 AG.  Hoping I go a bit faster than 2013 + a few key people don't show up 

2014-06-06 1:22 PM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Originally posted by JAYCT I'm going to jump into the Nutmeg Classic here. State Crit Championships. Do have a slight issue though as my shoe blew up this morning before my ride and I had to duct tape my left shoe on my foot for the ride. 2008 s-works road shoes...may have to bite the bullet.

I believe those shoes were only rated for a FTP of 300 or less and max output no more than 1400 watts.  

2014-06-06 1:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JAYCT I'm going to jump into the Nutmeg Classic here. State Crit Championships. Do have a slight issue though as my shoe blew up this morning before my ride and I had to duct tape my left shoe on my foot for the ride. 2008 s-works road shoes...may have to bite the bullet.

I believe those shoes were only rated for a FTP of 300 or less and max output no more than 1400 watts.  

I have a pair of Shimano something from that same year still going strong.

2014-06-06 1:32 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Yep, ITT tomorrow and TTT on Sunday.  I'm excited and a little bit nervous (apprehensive about how much it's going to hurt!!).  I also just found out that sleeveless is legal!  I know it might not be the most aero, but it's all I've got....and given that it's my first, I might as well set the bar a little low so I can PR next time around.

Nice! I like that they've allowed the sleeveless for racing too, even though I haven't done one yet.

On the tri suit, don't worry about it. Should do fairly well as it's being skin tight that's important. Sleeved suits can be faster, but they have to be very tight and no wrinkles or a rather good chance you'd be worse off. I'm kind of meh on these sleeved trisuits that are coming out recently.

2014-06-06 1:38 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Nice! I like that they've allowed the sleeveless for racing too, even though I haven't done one yet.

On the tri suit, don't worry about it. Should do fairly well as it's being skin tight that's important. Sleeved suits can be faster, but they have to be very tight and no wrinkles or a rather good chance you'd be worse off. I'm kind of meh on these sleeved trisuits that are coming out recently.

I think the one good thing about the sleeved tri suits is sun coverage.  Probably wouldn't get one though because the one race I would really need to worry about sun (Honu 70.3), doesn't allow sleeves on the swim.  So it would kind of be a PITA.  Just ask Crowie.  But if it's at worst a net zero difference, and at best some aerodynamic benefit...then I don't see why not if you currently don't have a tri suit and are looking for one.  As with anything you're wearing...fit is important.

2014-06-06 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I think the one good thing about the sleeved tri suits is sun coverage.  Probably wouldn't get one though because the one race I would really need to worry about sun (Honu 70.3), doesn't allow sleeves on the swim.  So it would kind of be a PITA.  Just ask Crowie.  But if it's at worst a net zero difference, and at best some aerodynamic benefit...then I don't see why not if you currently don't have a tri suit and are looking for one.  As with anything you're wearing...fit is important.

I've been racing with DeSoto cool wings for sun protection recently (though all on wetsuit legal swims, for the reason you cited).  

And I don't mind the sleeved trisuits when certain male pro triathletes wear them 

But I prefer sleeveless myself -- and that goes for tri tops, running tops, casual tops, everything

2014-06-07 4:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-07 4:32 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-06-07 6:14 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D

So serious question for the group?

WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DOING AN IM WITH ME IN 2015?

I plan on doing another one (clearly). My main criteria is that I want it done by August or preferably July, as I find the season gets a bit long otherwise.

Lake Placid, Whistler or IMMT all come to mind.

Let me know if anyone has any interest. Not inquiring about sharing a room, more just about seeing if we can configure a mentor group 'get together' type event?

Whistler or IMMT are possibilities for me.  I kindof had my eye on that new race in Barcelona but I don't know if the October timeframe will work out for me.

2014-06-07 6:27 PM

I plan on doing another one (clearly). My main criteria is that I want it done by August or preferably July, as I find the season gets a bit long otherwise.

Let me know if anyone has any interest. Not inquiring about sharing a room, more just about seeing if we can configure a mentor group 'get together' type event?

No IM for me next year, but I just found out that three of my friends just got into Kona via the same Hawaii lottery that I got into last year.  Most likely will make the trip back to spectate as it's truly a special place to be.  One of them is even a BTer.

2014-06-07 6:30 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Not looking to do an IM next year, but if anyone is interested in IMMT 70.3, that's about 99% sure on my race schedule next year. 

2014-06-07 6:33 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

First ITT in the books -- pretty happy with how it went.  RR is posted here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=517823 

Cliffs notes version: Squeaked in sub-64 minutes, held 181W (3.5 W/kg), came in 4th in Women's Cat 4 (top four separated by 48 seconds) -- not too shabby for an un-tapered triathlete

2014-06-07 11:07 PM

Master
Northern IL

I still have no itching for an IM, and given I'm usually slow to change on that it's likely at least a couple years before it's possible.

I am, however, not likely to make plans for next year before seeing what USAT has in store for their 2015 races. Still can't get Worlds 2016 out of my head, triple Oly using Redman. Not really what I normally look for with the flat and heat potential, but what the event is still gives it some allure. Will have to see what HIM they select for qualifying in 2015. Crossing fingers for something interesting, like Quassy. Not holding my breath though as they've been rather flat ones the past couple years.

2014-06-07 11:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Got in a 45 min run this morning that was nice, but still felt kind of meh. Took the mountain bike out on a multi-use path later in the afternoon for a couple hours. Ended up going for 3:45 and it was just fun being out there for a long time. Definitely seeing where my interests are.

2014-06-07 11:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

Not looking to do an IM next year, but if anyone is interested in IMMT 70.3, that's about 99% sure on my race schedule next year. 

Trying to remember what the draws for this race were.

2014-06-08 3:00 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Poutine at the finish line.

2014-06-08 3:08 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Elite
PEI, Canada

The madness here in France is finally over.  I haven't ran in 5 days and sleeping/eating has been minimal.  Hoping to get some chances to get out to explore a bit over the next week with a normal schedule.

2014-06-08 2:52 PM
in reply to: 0

Sprint today. Didn't meet either goal of sub :50 or podium. Came in 5/42 AG, 22/523 OA. BUT this year only 14 people went sub 50 compared to 43 last year (and guess who came 44th?? LOL). And with the exception of M 16-19 I would have podiumed in every other age group, including a win. So it was a slow day in a tough M 45-49 AG. Run weakness was really exposed today. 4 guys ahead of me were all running 13s and 14s for the 2 miler where mine was 15:40. Would love to learn to run someday.

however I am thrilled to go from being competitive in Clydes to being competitive in AG

Edited by ChrisM 2014-06-08 2:54 PM

2014-06-08 3:19 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It looks pretty??  That's why it's on my list.

2014-06-08 4:49 PM

Managed 57:22 on 269 watts for my 40k.  Very pleased with my time given the windy conditions...which are pretty normal for that part of the island.  I was hoping to average 275-280, but I paced it more by HR and RPE and actually was very even with the exceptions of the first 30 seconds, the turn around, and the last 2 minutes.  It was good enough for 1st in M23-34 (All categories) and 3rd OA.  A few of the big hitters didn't race. 

This race has been deemed the USAC State Championship in the past, but it hasn't had the official title for a few years (I think the race organizers just didn't take the time to register for it).  But they gave out USAC state championship medals...so hmmm...  I know bike racing in Hawaii is not nearly what it is in the mainland, but I'll take what I can get. 

2014-06-08 4:54 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

I think it's pretty impressive-here or elsewhere.
Congratulations.

Nice watts. You are all sick-strong on the bike.
I need to quit my job and train, and train, and train...

nah, that's too hard.
I think I'll try a sprint tri again next...
2014-06-08 6:45 PM
in reply to: 0

race report up uncharacteristically quick

Redondo Beach sprint

Edited by ChrisM 2014-06-08 6:45 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38695 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74171 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.