of 149

2013-10-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by Jason N

Like I said, the vibe is unreal.  And I've got a new fan. 

THAT is NUTS!  And totally awesome.

You both look pretty d@mn pumped-up.  Enjoy!

2013-10-10 12:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1
Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by brigby1
Originally posted by ligersandtions
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ligersandtions

What kind of workouts do you guys do to improve your VO2max?

I recently did 5 minute and 20 minute power tests (5min on Thursday, 20min on Saturday) and came out with 206W and 193W, respectively.  I'm pretty sure that means my VO2max is pretty weak in comparison to my FTP....and also means that it needs to be improved before making much/any real gains in the FTP department.

Also, in relation to the conversation above, I wouldn't blindly use FTP to pace a longer race, but am looking to improve it for overall fitness.

Nicole, Your numbers are not that strange. Your 5min is not abnormally low compared to your 20min. read this article http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-profiling.aspxMost important, look at this spreadsheet it points to http://home.trainingpeaks.com/media/69406/powerprofiling_v4.xlsYou would rank slightly lower on the 5min test but not that much lower. I could simply by a testing thing. I am 2 rows lower, just like you. While VO2 work is really good, especially in the off season, don't think you are abormally low. As a matter of fact I suspect you are borderline cat 4/cat 3 But I don't know your weight and I would never ask :-)

Thanks, I'll read through that article.

My estimated power to weight ratio for my FTP (using the 5min and 20min tests) puts me right at 3.5, which I am pretty happy with given only a year of real training.  My 5min is a bit lower on the chart, falling at 3.8.  I remember reading at some point on ST that if your 5MP is within ~10% (I think) of your FTP that you would benefit from "raising the roof" before you could "raise the ceiling".  

Given four days on the bike (two 60-70 min, one 90ish min, and one as long as I feel like), I feel like it may be beneficial to devote two of those to VO2max work, one to threshold, and one to sweet spot -- sound reasonable? 

Well, for that you want to take a look at what you need to develop. And for a triathlete, regardless of the distance, it's going to be threshold power. So you want the workouts to concentrate on that. Doesn't mean every workout is there, but done with that in mind. Sometimes over, up into VO2 to push that up higher, sometimes under and lots more riding to generate more overall aerobic stress.

And sweet spot is usually good to put in, but know that it's more like a useful tool as opposed to a point to develop. It's not actually a zone or a condition like the others are. It's an area that gives a quite bit of benefit for the time put in, an area that one can put a fair amount of time in, and can usually recover fairly well from. Some people throw it in for the heck of it as say 2 x 15-20' because they hear it's good. That's fine, but I might work up to 90-120 minutes of it in a single workout at times. I'm not saying it's necessary to do that, just that it's quite possible. Look at it as part of the whole plan.

And for the power files, I just google around for them. No special account needed. Here is one for Rachel Joyce, who usually does rather well at Kona. Here is a page with a number of people. Some featured and more in a less obvious list down lower. Something I just noticed is that the women seem to be WAY higher in TSS than the men. Guys were coming in 280-290, but the women like 375-380. Wow.

TSS of 380?

Is it possible that their FTP is just entered incorrectly as that seems way too high for an IM to run well off of?

There is a chance, but there are 3 of them on there and all 3 are around 380. Now that I think about it, this is not the first time I've heard of that. How the women are able to hold a higher percent than extended as they extend out. Or they have a flatter power curve in relation to duration. I just hadn't looked at the TSS before to see where that ended up. IF ends up at 0.83-0.85 I think.

I recall reading some studies on running about this point (will see if I can dig up - was some time ago).  Something to the effect that as the distances/total race times get longer, women's performances come much closer to men's.  Could be underlying physiology (as in, our ultra-endurance systems are less dependent on absolute strength or such, and more similar than different - but that they only manifest as such at veeeery long duration events) or, as Arend says, that women are tougher than men.

I'm not betting either way, as it might well be both!  Laughing

As for the power/testing discussions, anyone upgrade on Strava?  They have a feature that shows your W or W/kg across all times.  You can set the chart to compare different time periods, as well (all of 2012 vs. all of 2013, for example, or a given ride vs. a period of time).

Doesn't take the place of other methods, but it's interesting to see and to correlate what you thought was a sufferfest with what you did on previous rides.

Matt

2013-10-10 12:16 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-10 12:18 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada

That's all I do Fred.  Spin the wheel, calibrate and go.

Have a good ride!

2013-10-10 12:20 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

^^^^

I've upgraded on Strava.

PT just came in.

Will ride later today and see what it looks like on Strava.

BTW anyone can follow me on Strava under 'Fred Doucette'.

PS, it looks like the PT 'auto zero's' on my Garmin 800. So in essence I just spin the wheel, do the Garmin quick calibration and go right? Anything else?

Powertap G3 wireless.

Ditto on Strava.  Matthew McManus

Follow only if you want to feel better about your own workouts.  Wink

Matt

2013-10-10 12:28 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by GoFaster

Jason - looks like you're having a great time.  Keep enjoying it.

Good discussion on power + I like the one in TT as well.  Question - do most of you spend your time riding the trainer in aero, or do you just ride the trainer in whatever position suits you.  I'm thinking about spending more time in aero on the trainer, but typcially struggle a bit with the position on a static bike, while I seem fine outside.  Thinking I just need to get used to it.

I spend the vast majority of my time in aero.  Honestly, I think sitting up on the horns is terribly uncomfortable.  I don't know if it's a fit issue or what, but my wrists and hands get so tired holding my body up.

Take it with a grain of salt though -- I live and ride in an area that's pancake flat.  I have zero issues staying in aero for hours on end, but start to get whiney when I have to be up on the horns for more than a couple minutes!

2013-10-10 12:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Chiming in on a topic up there somewhere...  On my old Planet X, when I was going thru saddle difficulties, I'd try to ride aero on the trainer as juch as possible, wasn't always successful although got to the point where I could do nearly the hour workout in aero.

On the BMC, which fits me much better, and a ISM attack - I think I am finally starting to realize why people like these saddles.   Still trying to dial it in, but I can do pretty much an hour easily, with a break here and there, and very comfortably, in aero.   1/2 hour intervals are no problem.  May have to stand up out of the saddle a few times (but staying in aero), and will get on the horns for efforts over 250, but my bike is more comfortable in the aero position than sitting upright (not uncofortable, there are just times in aero that are very comfortable).  Which I think is ideal.

Still dialing the fit in but getting closer.  I have found that my saddle can be further back on the trainer, but when I get on the road the saddle may still be a little too far back, and I am nearly falling off the front of it.  When things are clicking, it almost feels like (it's not, it's just perception), I am pushing the pedal backward on the downstroke, driving my upper body forward.

So, looks like there will be a sitero on the market soon. 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-10 12:29 PM
2013-10-10 12:34 PM

2013-10-10 12:49 PM

Master
Guilford, CT

^^^^

I've upgraded on Strava.

PT just came in.

Will ride later today and see what it looks like on Strava.

BTW anyone can follow me on Strava under 'Fred Doucette'.

PS, it looks like the PT 'auto zero's' on my Garmin 800. So in essence I just spin the wheel, do the Garmin quick calibration and go right? Anything else?

Powertap G3 wireless.

I follow you already but I have the premium account too because it was pretty cheap. What I like about it is that I can easily compare my power curve to different time ranges just by clicking on it and it shows some basic power info that works for me. If I wanted to really geek out I'd go to golden cheetah or maybe buy training peaks. The Fitness/Freshness tab doesn't really work for me though.

I also like how I can go to popular segments I ride frequently and check my results on my TT bike vs Road bike and different watts/speed etc.

That's me if anyone wants to synch up: http://app.strava.com/athletes/267610

Edit: Jason I'm jealous and good luck! I have to get there one day even if it is on vacation to watch.

Edited by acumenjay 2013-10-10 12:50 PM
2013-10-10 2:18 PM
in reply to: acumenjay

2013-10-10 2:35 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Fred D Question?? Any danger for the powertap, riding in the rain??

The others that actually have them may know better, but the folks I know don't seem to have any weather-related problems with them. From what I understand temperature and humidity will effect the reading just as much as any other power meter, and like any other power meter you account for that by reseting the zero offset occasionally. The cool thing about powertap is that it resets the zero offset every time you freewheel for 5 seconds or so, whereas a quarq you have to intentionally backpedal a few times to force an auto zero. So a power tap will reset the offset whether you want it to or not, the quarq only does it only when you (remember to) tell it to. While I prefer the crank based power simply because I have a rather large investment in wheel sets, I think this is a big selling point for powertap.

2013-10-10 2:59 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Fred D Question?? Any danger for the powertap, riding in the rain??

The others that actually have them may know better, but the folks I know don't seem to have any weather-related problems with them. From what I understand temperature and humidity will effect the reading just as much as any other power meter, and like any other power meter you account for that by reseting the zero offset occasionally. The cool thing about powertap is that it resets the zero offset every time you freewheel for 5 seconds or so, whereas a quarq you have to intentionally backpedal a few times to force an auto zero. So a power tap will reset the offset whether you want it to or not, the quarq only does it only when you (remember to) tell it to. While I prefer the crank based power simply because I have a rather large investment in wheel sets, I think this is a big selling point for powertap.

I had my older one (wired model) conk out in the rain once.  But I got caught out when it was throwing down buckets.  I let it dry out and everything was fine.

I will note that I have experienced "odd" readings once in a while with both my PT's, but I think this is because there was some drift over the course of a ride, and then I stopped pedaling and the numbers seemed different - it always occurred after I had stopped pedaling.  I have noticed better readings on my new PT vs the old one overall (and the old one had the guts replaced twice, before the torque readings went again and was fulling replaced with a wireless model).

2013-10-10 3:14 PM

Master
Guilford, CT
I've been beating the hell out of it for almost 3 years. Rain, spraying bike down with hose, etc...Been pretty ridiculous how low maintenance it has been. Honestly, the biggest pain in the a** is just replacing the battery from time to time.

Helpful tip. Not sure on the newer gen ones but don't overtighten the cap. No need to be a typical guy and tighten it as hard as you can. I made that mistake and the thing was like fused on there almost next time I went to change it. Just tighten it normal. It is fine.

Not sure if you mentioned already but what head unit are you getting? or are you just going to keep it low key with a garmin 310?
2013-10-10 3:49 PM
in reply to: acumenjay

Veteran
Austin, Texas

As a quick note on Strava, the new ride page is actually a nice interface - unlike when they sprung the new run page on everyone.

With the premium account, it's actually useful (instead of just fun).  Just got back from a ride (best. coffee. break. ever.) and it was cool when I viewed in the "sneak peak at the new ride page" - many ways to disect the ride.

Now that they've worked out the bugs in running (mostly), it's 2/3 of the way to an awesome site.  Wink

Matt

2013-10-10 3:50 PM

Originally posted by acumenjay  Jason I'm jealous and good luck! I have to get there one day even if it is on vacation to watch.

Thanks.  And I would highly recommend coming down one year even if it's just to hang out, volunteer, and spectate.  I'm already making plans to reserve a hotel room for next year to spectate.  Also want to bring my road bike to ride some of the great climbs they have here.

I had a great swim this morning.  Not sure what happened, but at an easy IMish type effort, I swam almost 1.5 miles at a 1:36 pace according to my 910.  Never swam below 1:40 pace for anything longer than a mile (in the OW) and that was trying to book it.

Underpants run was fun.  I took the bike out to ride the first 8ish miles in town since I'm already familiar with the Queen K and Hawi.  It's actually a lot of steady climbing in the first 4-5 miles into the wind and I can see how guys can go way overboard right out of the swim.  My FD wasn't working right, but luckily the Expo and Cervelo tent is right across my hotel so I dropped it off for a free full tune up.

Less than 48 hours!!!

Edited by Jason N 2013-10-10 3:51 PM
2013-10-10 7:54 PM

To add to the USA vs. Canada Rivalry...

6 time Ironman World Champion Dave Scott and 2012 Giro d'Italia Champion Ryder Hesjedal.

(Jason and Dave Scott.jpg)

(Jason and Ryder.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Jason and Dave Scott.jpg (96KB - 13 downloads)
Jason and Ryder.jpg (97KB - 11 downloads)

2013-10-10 8:33 PM

Master
, California

I've ridden mine in some nasty weather, no problems so far.  Just carefully and tightly close the hub back up after doing a battery replacement.

On that note, make sure you get the silver-oxide batteries.  There are alkaline ones in the same size and they last like a couple weeks at most.  The silver ones will go a season.

And finally, talking about maintenance, the aluminum hub sleeve gets chewed up by your cassette pretty quickly.  If you need to replace that sometime down the line, order a steel one from powertap (~$40 if I recall).  They don't make it obvious, but they have them.

2013-10-10 9:41 PM
in reply to: spudone

Originally posted by spudone

I've ridden mine in some nasty weather, no problems so far.  Just carefully and tightly close the hub back up after doing a battery replacement.

On that note, make sure you get the silver-oxide batteries.  There are alkaline ones in the same size and they last like a couple weeks at most.  The silver ones will go a season.

And finally, talking about maintenance, the aluminum hub sleeve gets chewed up by your cassette pretty quickly.  If you need to replace that sometime down the line, order a steel one from powertap (~$40 if I recall).  They don't make it obvious, but they have them.

The steel free hub bodies are heavier, but it's worth it.

Interesting note on the silver oxide.  A recent batch of batteries I've bought were not lasting very long, where other batteries were lasting thousands of miles.  I have to check which ones I was buying.

2013-10-11 1:04 AM

Master
, California

The steel free hub bodies are heavier, but it's worth it.

Interesting note on the silver oxide.  A recent batch of batteries I've bought were not lasting very long, where other batteries were lasting thousands of miles.  I have to check which ones I was buying.

Btw, not sure if I'll be around this weekend, so good luck in the big show!

2013-10-11 6:58 AM

2013-10-11 7:46 AM

Elite
Ontario

To add to the USA vs. Canada Rivalry...

6 time Ironman World Champion Dave Scott and 2012 Giro d'Italia Champion Ryder Hesjedal.

Very cool - as a Cdn it would have been awesome to meet the first Cdn Grand Tour winner.

2013-10-11 7:57 AM

Master
Guilford, CT

Awesome to know. Past couple times I've had to replace the batteries in a few weeks and now I know why. I was starting to get worried.
2013-10-11 7:59 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by acumenjay  Jason I'm jealous and good luck! I have to get there one day even if it is on vacation to watch.

Thanks.  And I would highly recommend coming down one year even if it's just to hang out, volunteer, and spectate.  I'm already making plans to reserve a hotel room for next year to spectate.  Also want to bring my road bike to ride some of the great climbs they have here.

I had a great swim this morning.  Not sure what happened, but at an easy IMish type effort, I swam almost 1.5 miles at a 1:36 pace according to my 910.  Never swam below 1:40 pace for anything longer than a mile (in the OW) and that was trying to book it.

Underpants run was fun.  I took the bike out to ride the first 8ish miles in town since I'm already familiar with the Queen K and Hawi.  It's actually a lot of steady climbing in the first 4-5 miles into the wind and I can see how guys can go way overboard right out of the swim.  My FD wasn't working right, but luckily the Expo and Cervelo tent is right across my hotel so I dropped it off for a free full tune up.

Less than 48 hours!!!

Sounds like you're having a great time!  Enjoy the race tomorrow....really take it in and enjoy it

2013-10-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4768732

Weather has been somewhat overcast with light winds and it looks like that's what we might get tomorrow. But make no mistake it's still really hot and humid. Forecast is a high of 86 witha real feel of 95. Last night at 8:30 it was 79 with a real feel of 88 and zero wind at the pier. Sun went down just after 6.
2013-10-11 10:49 AM

NC

Less than 48 hours!!!

Have Fun! Bike split is the only thing that matters.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.