BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-08-10 8:59 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by IronOx I just did my second gravel ride, both on borrowed bikes. Last weekend it was 70 km, mostly flat. Some gravel, some single track with thigh high plants/weeds on either side. Today was 70km with 1200m (~4000ft) climbing, and about 1000m was in the first 40km. Does that count as epic? It was super hard, super different and super fun! Hope y'all had great weekends.

Definitely counts as epic! Glad you had fun!

2020-08-10 9:00 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia Gravel riding just sounds like so much fun! And that's coming from someone who is still, after YEARS, terrified of road bike riding. I have no idea why my brain has decided gravel will be better. Soooo, I guess the best thing to do is maybe borrow a bike for a little ride a few times? My friend works at a bike shop and I know they have bikes for rent. Could be fun I certainly need something to shake things up. I just have no motivation to do anything other than sleep.

Yes, rent a bike and try some gravel! 

2020-08-10 12:39 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Atlantia Gravel riding just sounds like so much fun! And that's coming from someone who is still, after YEARS, terrified of road bike riding. I have no idea why my brain has decided gravel will be better. Soooo, I guess the best thing to do is maybe borrow a bike for a little ride a few times? My friend works at a bike shop and I know they have bikes for rent. Could be fun I certainly need something to shake things up. I just have no motivation to do anything other than sleep.

Why have i not thougjt of renting a gravel bike? Duh!!!!
2020-08-10 1:36 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Because Sycamore Cycles sold all of their rentals. They may have some again in the fall.  I tried to look at a Salsa there. No dice.

2020-08-10 1:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh

Because Sycamore Cycles sold all of their rentals. They may have some again in the fall.  I tried to look at a Salsa there. No dice.

ill check with the other shops around. There is bound to be some, somewhere.
2020-08-10 8:05 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The guy who owns the bike shop that services Andreas told me they have been having a record year for sales so far....Tons of people getting into cycling who did other kinds of exercise before, parents getting bikes for kids, people who don't want to drive to work commuting by bike, etc.

2020-08-11 6:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Lisa, IM Wisconsin is moving to JUNE? I'm so confused!

2020-08-11 6:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner The guy who owns the bike shop that services Andreas told me they have been having a record year for sales so far....Tons of people getting into cycling who did other kinds of exercise before, parents getting bikes for kids, people who don't want to drive to work commuting by bike, etc.

Yeah, no one has bikes or bike parts. Many of the shops in my area have a two week wait for service. A friend of mine crashed her bike and had to wait more than two months for the new one. It's nuts.

2020-08-11 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner The guy who owns the bike shop that services Andreas told me they have been having a record year for sales so far....Tons of people getting into cycling who did other kinds of exercise before, parents getting bikes for kids, people who don't want to drive to work commuting by bike, etc.

Yeah, no one has bikes or bike parts. Many of the shops in my area have a two week wait for service. A friend of mine crashed her bike and had to wait more than two months for the new one. It's nuts.

I needed a new stem for my gravel bike, ordered it 7/13, just got word today that it is ready to ship! 

I hope that when all these new cyclists decide they don't really want to be cyclists (not that i'm wishing they quit) we will see some great sales as they dump their purchases. Keep an eye out on craigslists and FB market place!

2020-08-11 10:12 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I'm having a hard time finding TUBES!!
2020-08-11 10:46 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Seems like a good excuse to go tubeless!

2020-08-11 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I had to wait almost two weeks for a trainer tire.  I feel your pain.

2020-08-11 11:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Kevin is going tubeless.  I'll let him test the waters for the household.

2020-08-11 3:34 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

My friend was waiting almost three months to get his new bike...
2020-08-11 3:40 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Speaking of bikes... and speaking of GRAVEL...
I went to a bike shop to fix something with my mtb, and I casually asked if the sell any road bikes. The guys said barely anyone is buying roadies anymore, because gravel bikes are a thing right now...
He asked what I needed a roadie for, and I said - to ride roades up the canyons, such as Boulder Canyon, Mt. Evans, and such... He suggested I rather go with gravel bikes, for many many reasons. He said the geometry is more comfortable, and the tires are much better, given the damaged Colorado roads and often rains, so there's a safety issue. Otherwise, he said road bike and gravel bike are the same, unless I need to race and be very, very fast... Then I need both lol (which I can't afford)

So my question to you - should I get a gravel bike...?
I can only afford one good bike right now. While I can see all the benefits of the gravel bike, do you know how it performs in racing? Once Covid is over, I am planning to do triathlons, for sure. Would gravel bike do it? Obviously, my triathlon goal is not crazy high. So if you tell me gravel bike will give me 5-15 minutes difference over road bike, I would go with gravel. If the difference is as huge as with an old heavy mtb, then I will need to rethink. Because the truth is that those damaged roads and slippery asphalt after the rain do freak me out (when going downhill).

What are your thought and experiences?
2020-08-11 3:45 PM

My friend's husband owns a bike shop in Roanoke. He is struggling due to a lack of bikes being available for him to sell.

2020-08-11 4:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 Speaking of bikes... and speaking of GRAVEL... I went to a bike shop to fix something with my mtb, and I casually asked if the sell any road bikes. The guys said barely anyone is buying roadies anymore, because gravel bikes are a thing right now... He asked what I needed a roadie for, and I said - to ride roades up the canyons, such as Boulder Canyon, Mt. Evans, and such... He suggested I rather go with gravel bikes, for many many reasons. He said the geometry is more comfortable, and the tires are much better, given the damaged Colorado roads and often rains, so there's a safety issue. Otherwise, he said road bike and gravel bike are the same, unless I need to race and be very, very fast... Then I need both lol (which I can't afford) So my question to you - should I get a gravel bike...? I can only afford one good bike right now. While I can see all the benefits of the gravel bike, do you know how it performs in racing? Once Covid is over, I am planning to do triathlons, for sure. Would gravel bike do it? Obviously, my triathlon goal is not crazy high. So if you tell me gravel bike will give me 5-15 minutes difference over road bike, I would go with gravel. If the difference is as huge as with an old heavy mtb, then I will need to rethink. Because the truth is that those damaged roads and slippery asphalt after the rain do freak me out (when going downhill). What are your thought and experiences?

I love my gravel bike! I've heard many people say if they can only have 1 bike it would be a gravel bike. That said, if you were on the pointy end of the stick racing, then the aero advantages of a road bike could be worth it to you. But, a cool thing about gravel bikes is you can put different width tires on them, different tread patterns too and make it so they ride very similarly to a road bike. So, all you'd have to do for racing is change the tires to something slicker and maybe skinnier. A few years ago it was determined (don't ask me by whom) that really skinny tires were not as fast as wider ones, so there has been a move to wider tires with less air pressure for racing. I'm sure someone can chime in with more detail about this or you can google it !  

I think if i could have only 1 bike it would be a gravel bike - unless i was doing an IM. 

I'm interested to hear other peoples take on this!

ETA: Here's a quick article about tire width. And another.

Edited by amd723 2020-08-11 4:29 PM
2020-08-11 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Speaking of bikes... and speaking of GRAVEL... I went to a bike shop to fix something with my mtb, and I casually asked if the sell any road bikes. The guys said barely anyone is buying roadies anymore, because gravel bikes are a thing right now... He asked what I needed a roadie for, and I said - to ride roades up the canyons, such as Boulder Canyon, Mt. Evans, and such... He suggested I rather go with gravel bikes, for many many reasons. He said the geometry is more comfortable, and the tires are much better, given the damaged Colorado roads and often rains, so there's a safety issue. Otherwise, he said road bike and gravel bike are the same, unless I need to race and be very, very fast... Then I need both lol (which I can't afford) So my question to you - should I get a gravel bike...? I can only afford one good bike right now. While I can see all the benefits of the gravel bike, do you know how it performs in racing? Once Covid is over, I am planning to do triathlons, for sure. Would gravel bike do it? Obviously, my triathlon goal is not crazy high. So if you tell me gravel bike will give me 5-15 minutes difference over road bike, I would go with gravel. If the difference is as huge as with an old heavy mtb, then I will need to rethink. Because the truth is that those damaged roads and slippery asphalt after the rain do freak me out (when going downhill). What are your thought and experiences?

I love my gravel bike! I've heard many people say if they can only have 1 bike it would be a gravel bike. That said, if you were on the pointy end of the stick racing, then the aero advantages of a road bike could be worth it to you. But, a cool thing about gravel bikes is you can put different width tires on them, different tread patterns too and make it so they ride very similarly to a road bike. So, all you'd have to do for racing is change the tires to something slicker and maybe skinnier. A few years ago it was determined (don't ask me by whom) that really skinny tires were not as fast as wider ones, so there has been a move to wider tires with less air pressure for racing. I'm sure someone can chime in with more detail about this or you can google it !  

I think if i could have only 1 bike it would be a gravel bike - unless i was doing an IM. 

Here's an article from Slowtwitch that I shared with Chris last week. It discusses on "do it all" bike to cover both road and gravel but the principles apply to other models as well.  https://www.slowtwitch.com/Gravel/Multi-Purpose_Bike_2_OBED_Boundary_7720.html

In your particular case, Marysia, it may depend on how much you want to ride for the podium in a triathlon versus how much you want to do adventure riding.

There was a good discussion about gravel geometry in the most recent Pace Line podcast.  It goes into why you want a longer tail on a gravel bike, etc. https://redkiteprayer.com/2020/08/paceline-podcast-208/

2020-08-12 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Lisa, IM Wisconsin is moving to JUNE? I'm so confused!

OK, apparently Wisconsin is in it's traditional September time slot. There were some major typos in the St. George email, including incorrect dates for both the Wisconsin and Texas deferral options. 

2020-08-12 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

My aspero is tubeless ready, so I'm interested to hear Kevin's thoughts!

2020-08-12 8:26 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

So...Tuesdays and Fridays are the only days that my gym doesn't have aqua fitness classes at 5:30 PM and my family had to go to Tulsa for dentist appoints and wouldn't be home (two hours away, that the downside of living in a small town) so I was looking forward to a longer swim session after work yesterday.  Well, I got there and there was a sign at the front desk that said "Pool Closed Due to Weather".  It is an indoor pool.  I don't know why they close it for the weather  I wasn't going to go home empty-handed so I went for a run on the 13 laps to a mile indoor track.  My record is 130 laps in one a session on that track (and I may be more like 11-1/2 to 12-1/2 laps to a mile. I have just been guessing based on what pace I think I am running and how many laps I can do in what would be a mile pace).  I only did 52 laps yesterday but it was my first ever run with a mask on.  I was surprised.  Running in a mask was not too bad as long as I was at an easy pace and wasn't breathing hard. 

Oh...and I joined a conference call after work with my triathlon team on Monday.  There was a lot of gravel talk at that meeting.  I felt right at home.  :-

2020-08-12 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm actually surprised that Kevin hasn't made that jump yet. The benefits of tubeless for a MTB or gravel bike are pretty good. Less prone to pinch flats and a cushier ride, both of which make it fairly nice. The cons to me are setup (since you need a higher volume air pump), mess, and maintenance. That said, I haven't gone tubeless at this point, so anything I mention is anecdotal at best.

2020-08-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm actually surprised that Kevin hasn't made that jump yet. The benefits of tubeless for a MTB or gravel bike are pretty good. Less prone to pinch flats and a cushier ride, both of which make it fairly nice. The cons to me are setup (since you need a higher volume air pump), mess, and maintenance. That said, I haven't gone tubeless at this point, so anything I mention is anecdotal at best.

New bike = new set up

2020-08-12 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Here's an article from Slowtwitch that I shared with Chris last week. It discusses on "do it all" bike to cover both road and gravel but the principles apply to other models as well.  https://www.slowtwitch.com/Gravel/Multi-Purpose_Bike_2_OBED_Boundary_7720.html

In your particular case, Marysia, it may depend on how much you want to ride for the podium in a triathlon versus how much you want to do adventure riding.

There was a good discussion about gravel geometry in the most recent Pace Line podcast.  It goes into why you want a longer tail on a gravel bike, etc. https://redkiteprayer.com/2020/08/paceline-podcast-208/

My road bikes are mostly gathering dust at this point. Partly due to the friends that I ride with, partly due to staying off the roads. However, if I had to reduce my bike ownership to just one bike (shiver at thought), it would probably be a gravel bike. Smooth and flowy singletrack, check. Fire roads, check. Pavement, check. Gravel roads, check. Overnighting, check. The way these bikes are currently being manufactured, they definitely beat anything else for my money.

I am holding out for the post Covid sell off that I think will happen as all the people that purchased bikes begin to get back in their cars and go back to the gym.

2020-08-12 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

New bike = new set up

Cool, what is it????

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127