BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-04 4:50 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Speaking of climbing. The Tour of Utah starts today. Yet another sporting event to add to my need to watch list.

I won't be watching it but I'll be following it closely on VeloNews.  The Pro Challenge is here in a couple weeks and I can't wait.  The final day here in Denver is always so cool.  It's a chance to see big-name riders and racing up close - like literally just a few feet away!!

2014-08-04 5:10 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

MANATEES REMINDER POST FOR THE NEW THREAD

If you haven't figured it out, we talk a lot. :-)   Also, we tend to be an inspiring bunch (as in, we use the "inspire" feature of the site a lot).  If you are not familiar with inspires, note that you can reply to them by clicking Reply.  This pops out a new window for you to type your response so that the original poster can see it.  Finally, most of us use the training log on the site (Yanti said that it's required: "Keeping up your training log here on BT and opening it to other group members is mandatory.").  This makes it a lot easier for us to help each other when training questions come up.   Here's a few shorts article on training logs:  http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/why-you-should-keep-... http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/10-reasons-to-keep-a-train... If you're not going to log or blog or whatever here on BT, please put a link to your training log in your BT Dashboard.

If you list your upcoming races on your training log  -- by adding to My Races or listing them in Dashboard, we'll celebrate with you!

We have a Google+ community that we use on an irregular basis.  Send your info to a returning Manatee (Janyne, Chris, Monica or Darren) and you will be added.

We have a Bike Gallery as well.  Post a picture of your racing steed and draw Chris' attention to it.  He'll get you added.

We have a Strava group too.  Let Chris or Janyne know and we can add you.  (PRO TIP:  If you decide to join the Strava group, check out https://tapiriik.com/or http://www.syncmetrics.com/. They will sync from Garmin Connect to Strava in the background.)

Oh, we're on Twitter too...

In the past, someone in the Pod (Yanti, Chris, Janyne) has created a table listing all of the pod members with links to their logs.  Once this handy dandy table has been created, feel free to copy/paste it to your own dashboard.

Please be active!  Inactive Manatees make us sad!

Add Instagram to the list of social media sites that are in use by a few of us as well. If there is a way to stay in touch, we use it!

Can you make groups in Instragram?

2014-08-04 5:10 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Speaking of climbing. The Tour of Utah starts today. Yet another sporting event to add to my need to watch list.

I won't be watching it but I'll be following it closely on VeloNews.  The Pro Challenge is here in a couple weeks and I can't wait.  The final day here in Denver is always so cool.  It's a chance to see big-name riders and racing up close - like literally just a few feet away!!

Yeahhhhh, I was REALLY hoping that Jens would be at the Pro Challenge this year since it's his final year. I would have liked to try to get an autograph. Since he's doing Utah I don't know that he'll do Colorado in a couple weeks. I'd love to watch them climb Monarch pass. Not once, not twice, but THREE times!!!! Insanity!

2014-08-04 5:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Yeahhhhh, I was REALLY hoping that Jens would be at the Pro Challenge this year since it's his final year. I would have liked to try to get an autograph. Since he's doing Utah I don't know that he'll do Colorado in a couple weeks. I'd love to watch them climb Monarch pass. Not once, not twice, but THREE times!!!! Insanity!

Some riders do both races.  I'm betting he will.  They haven't announced final rosters yet though.  Monach 3x - wow!

2014-08-04 5:39 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

I leave for a few hours and come back to this!!!! Four new pages??? On a Monday, no less! 

Kids and treadmill are calling, but will catch up in a bit.

2014-08-04 6:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

If you haven't figured it out, we talk a lot. :-)   Also, we tend to be an inspiring bunch (as in, we use the "inspire" feature of the site a lot).  If you are not familiar with inspires, note that you can reply to them by clicking Reply.  This pops out a new window for you to type your response so that the original poster can see it.  Finally, most of us use the training log on the site (Yanti said that it's required: "Keeping up your training log here on BT and opening it to other group members is mandatory.").  This makes it a lot easier for us to help each other when training questions come up.   Here's a few shorts article on training logs:  http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/why-you-should-keep-... http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/10-reasons-to-keep-a-train... If you're not going to log or blog or whatever here on BT, please put a link to your training log in your BT Dashboard.

If you list your upcoming races on your training log  -- by adding to My Races or listing them in Dashboard, we'll celebrate with you!

We have a Google+ community that we use on an irregular basis.  Send your info to a returning Manatee (Janyne, Chris, Monica or Darren) and you will be added.

We have a Bike Gallery as well.  Post a picture of your racing steed and draw Chris' attention to it.  He'll get you added.

We have a Strava group too.  Let Chris or Janyne know and we can add you.  (PRO TIP:  If you decide to join the Strava group, check out https://tapiriik.com/or http://www.syncmetrics.com/. They will sync from Garmin Connect to Strava in the background.)

In the past, someone in the Pod (Yanti, Chris, Janyne) has created a table listing all of the pod members with links to their logs.  Once this handy dandy table has been created, feel free to copy/paste it to your own dashboard.

Add Instagram to the list of social media sites that are in use by a few of us as well. If there is a way to stay in touch, we use it!

I haven't found it yet if there is. I bow to Salty's superior Instagram knowledge.

And here is the Manatee glossary that was mentioned earlier:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_xyfZBSmx9ZNI7YRi8dKjOoP604WTVEjvsd0dXS_4hs/edit?usp=sharing

2014-08-04 6:56 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I leave for a few hours and come back to this!!!! Four new pages??? On a Monday, no less! 

Kids and treadmill are calling, but will catch up in a bit.

I know I sleep for a bit and wake up to that. I am all caught up but now I am late for work - oh well what's new?
2014-08-04 8:27 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
OK just to brighten everyone's day, I thought that I would share this.

This is Jazz she is coming to join our motley bunch on Friday.

(Jazz.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Jazz.jpg (388KB - 7 downloads)
2014-08-04 8:57 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by StaceyK OK just to brighten everyone's day, I thought that I would share this. This is Jazz she is coming to join our motley bunch on Friday.

She made my day Stacey, she's a cutie.

2014-08-05 1:33 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So for all you biking Manatees out there I have another question.

I have been thinking about upgrading my road bike due to some major discomfort on the one I currently have (cause I need an excuse to spend this kind of money right?). I don't want a tri bike and at this stage I strongly doubt that I will do triathlons that are longer than Oly Distance.

This is what I currently have spec wise (but the 2011 version):
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/avail.3/14935/66337...

This is what I am looking at, (partly because I can buy a 2014 model at 30% off which makes it a much better price, shame about the colour though):
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/envie.advanced.2/14...

What do you think, looking at the specs do you think that this is a bike that will last me a good long time? Is there a minimum standard for components that you would consider if you were buying a new bike?

I know that fit is the most important thing and I have been thinking about having a Retul fit done before I buy, but this will cost me $400 and chew into my available budget. Is it worth doing for a road bike, or should I just test ride all my options and see what feels the best? There are lots of sales on here at the moment because the 2015 models are out soon, oh and everyone has a "Tour de France" sale on too.

I want to make a wise choice, I brought my current bike not knowing much at all. It took me 12 months to save for it and was the best that I could afford at the time, I didn't understand the importance of fit and now it is biting me, I think.

So many questions, so much indecision.
2014-08-05 6:29 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Taylor starts second grade on Wednesday, so we wanted to get in one more weekend trip...except it's monsoon season. We scrapped leaving Friday and watched the weather on Saturday morning. EVERYWHERE was going to rain at some point, so we decided to test a new place near Tucson. Of course, it rained...but not a ton and we had an amazing view from our site. Oh, and Mak gave herself black eye. lol

Poor Mak!  Just wait til she starts telling people that she got the black eye from her mom!!

Yeah, Erin's whole explanantion was kind of glossed right over, wasn't it? Do you think there is more than meets the eye here (sorry)?

It sure beats "my dog jumped up on the bed and landed on my face."  Too bad that was the true story!

I have one of those stories too.  My dog broke my nose.  It's still crooked because I never got it reset.  I blame my snoring on that. Seems reasonable, right?

Perfectly reasonable.

So, in the staff meeting today they were talking about Google Glass and then something about an IR camera to do home energy audits blah blah blah and all the time I'm thinking about a camera that would show doggie gas.  Yes, I am one messed up individual.  Care to guess if Emma had gas when we picked her up from the sitter last night?  Yup, someone had too many treats.

Probably from when Emmadog broke your head that's perfectly reasonable too ... wait, you were that way already.

AAAAAAARGH I can't stop Mutti feeding Scooter stuff from the table (as I said earlier) ... talk about a fart-a-rama, I mean also audible ones that wake me up first with the sound and then REALLY wake me up ... I should make him sleep with Mutti!

2014-08-05 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK So for all you biking Manatees out there I have another question. I have been thinking about upgrading my road bike due to some major discomfort on the one I currently have (cause I need an excuse to spend this kind of money right?). I don't want a tri bike and at this stage I strongly doubt that I will do triathlons that are longer than Oly Distance. This is what I currently have spec wise (but the 2011 version): http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/avail.3/14935/66337... This is what I am looking at, (partly because I can buy a 2014 model at 30% off which makes it a much better price, shame about the colour though): http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/envie.advanced.2/14... What do you think, looking at the specs do you think that this is a bike that will last me a good long time? Is there a minimum standard for components that you would consider if you were buying a new bike? I know that fit is the most important thing and I have been thinking about having a Retul fit done before I buy, but this will cost me $400 and chew into my available budget. Is it worth doing for a road bike, or should I just test ride all my options and see what feels the best? There are lots of sales on here at the moment because the 2015 models are out soon, oh and everyone has a "Tour de France" sale on too. I want to make a wise choice, I brought my current bike not knowing much at all. It took me 12 months to save for it and was the best that I could afford at the time, I didn't understand the importance of fit and now it is biting me, I think. So many questions, so much indecision.

Stacey, I'd need to do more research, so I'll look when I'm taking lunch, but here is what struck me about your question. You mention that you think that the fit is what is "biting" you on your current bike. If you want to make the best long term decision on the bike, I would say that you should see what is available for a fitting. Some LBS's will do a fit and then refund some of that if you buy a bike from them (or some variation of that). I do know this as well, if you like the bike, you ride the bike, so get one that you like. If color is part of the equation for you, than don't compromise.

2014-08-05 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't think that you can.  I think that we've done OK finding each other.  We can create something in G+ with links to our Instagram accounts if it becomes a problem.

2014-08-05 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyKOK just to brighten everyone's day, I thought that I would share this.This is Jazz she is coming to join our motley bunch on Friday.
She's great! New dogs are better than new bikes any day!!
2014-08-05 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK OK just to brighten everyone's day, I thought that I would share this. This is Jazz she is coming to join our motley bunch on Friday.

Jazz apparently snacks on mastiff-sized dog beds!

How many does that make?  Five?

2014-08-05 8:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK So for all you biking Manatees out there I have another question. I have been thinking about upgrading my road bike due to some major discomfort on the one I currently have (cause I need an excuse to spend this kind of money right?). I don't want a tri bike and at this stage I strongly doubt that I will do triathlons that are longer than Oly Distance.

A roadie should be perfect then! 

Chris just went to bike mechanic school so I'll defer to him on the specifics.  At a glace, I do think that you'll be happy with the 105 groupset.  I'm a little less sure about the wheels.

ETA, do the bike fit!

Edited by jmkizer 2014-08-05 8:19 AM

2014-08-05 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I've stopped counting but you need more than one hand
2014-08-05 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

You about made me snort my coffee!  :-)

2014-08-05 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In other news, Kevin is now on Strava.  Chris found him already.  Feel free to stalk him:  http://www.strava.com/athletes/5897100

2014-08-05 8:58 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Janyne, I'm on Twitter too.  You can add me to the manatee list: @TriGirlJ

2014-08-05 8:59 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK So for all you biking Manatees out there I have another question. I have been thinking about upgrading my road bike due to some major discomfort on the one I currently have (cause I need an excuse to spend this kind of money right?). I don't want a tri bike and at this stage I strongly doubt that I will do triathlons that are longer than Oly Distance. This is what I currently have spec wise (but the 2011 version): http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/avail.3/14935/66337... This is what I am looking at, (partly because I can buy a 2014 model at 30% off which makes it a much better price, shame about the colour though): http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/envie.advanced.2/14... What do you think, looking at the specs do you think that this is a bike that will last me a good long time? Is there a minimum standard for components that you would consider if you were buying a new bike? I know that fit is the most important thing and I have been thinking about having a Retul fit done before I buy, but this will cost me $400 and chew into my available budget. Is it worth doing for a road bike, or should I just test ride all my options and see what feels the best? There are lots of sales on here at the moment because the 2015 models are out soon, oh and everyone has a "Tour de France" sale on too. I want to make a wise choice, I brought my current bike not knowing much at all. It took me 12 months to save for it and was the best that I could afford at the time, I didn't understand the importance of fit and now it is biting me, I think. So many questions, so much indecision.

Stacey, I'd need to do more research, so I'll look when I'm taking lunch, but here is what struck me about your question. You mention that you think that the fit is what is "biting" you on your current bike. If you want to make the best long term decision on the bike, I would say that you should see what is available for a fitting. Some LBS's will do a fit and then refund some of that if you buy a bike from them (or some variation of that). I do know this as well, if you like the bike, you ride the bike, so get one that you like. If color is part of the equation for you, than don't compromise.

I'm not as up on road bike fitting, but you still do want a fit. Road bikes tend to be more flexible or have wider tolerance for fitting, but it still does matter. As Chris said, shops can have the costs rolled into a bike purchase. The ones by me will have different percents of the fit cost included in the purchase price depending on how much the bike cost. Like half of your fit cost might go into the bike cost. And a bike twice as much may have the entire fit included. I'd also be curious if they do different levels of fitting. Especially if they carry various levels of bikes, not everyone is really doing to need or want the precision of a Retul fit. Where my brother works they do this as they have a lot of more casual riders come in too. This tends to be less difficult to do outside of a tri fit.

ETA: And generally 105 or better should be fine. I've heard Tiagra from the last few years can do well, but have no experience there.

Edited by brigby1 2014-08-05 9:01 AM

2014-08-05 9:02 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Artemis

Janyne, I'm on Twitter too.  You can add me to the manatee list: @TriGirlJ

Got it!

2014-08-05 9:12 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK

You about made me snort my coffee!  :-)

If you need more than one hand to count the number of dogs, how many hands do you need to count the # of pounds of dogs?  You've got to be getting close to a ton there...

ETA:  Oh, forgot to mention, she's awfully cute.  Those ears!! 

Edited by laffinrock 2014-08-05 9:13 AM
2014-08-05 10:05 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jbwills

Speaking of puppy pics. Here is a recent one of Pikatti. I get to retrain him in about 6 weeks and break him of all of Nana's "loving" (spoiling) from the past 9 months. He is my 19 month old Alaskan Husky. He is almost as spoiled as my human kids.

Wow, he really grew from a cute little furball to a handsome fellow!

2014-08-05 10:16 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Loving the surge of doggie pics!  The greyhounds are just gorgeous (and funny!) and Jazz is adorable!

On the dog front, my dear Coco, the dog who is already missing a lot of hair due to a genetic thing, started stress-chewing a patch on her hip from me being away so long.  I feel horrible.  What's worse is I leave again from Thurs-Sun.    The poor dear...I bought her some foam (rather than spray, she hates sprays) that both treats any hot spot issues and tastes bad if the dog tries to chew/lick there.  I don't think it's a true hot spot since she's never had any before, but I figured it might help her from messing with it.  The point is the semi-bald dog now has another bald patch.  Poor Bald Beanie Butt (Coco Bean is one of her nicknames, Beanie is derived from that.  I'm a nicknamer).

Edited by melbo55 2014-08-05 10:20 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45023 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39218 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 75998 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52212 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27585 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.