BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Ack!  I just found out that my coach is closing up shop at the end of the year.  I've been with her about forever.  I hurt my back many years ago and I couldn't feel my lower leg or foot.  After I recovered, I asked the PT how I could prevent it from happening again.  It's very scary not being able to feel your foot!  They said, get a coach who knows what the heck they are doing.  I was not even self coached at that point.  I was just riding regularly and that was my entire "plan."  Anyway, I got a referral from a friend to ask Dale about his wife who is a coach with all of the certifications and stuff and I've been with her since then.  It's been really easy to be coached by her since she has tons of history on me. 

What do do from here?

I don't want to mess with Boston which could go one of two ways

Option 1:  Stay with my current coach (she is willing to coach me through Boston even though she is retiring effective Dec 31.  It will be secret coaching.)

Option 2: Change to New Coach sometime in December before Boston build starts

That leaves Chattanooga.  Outside coaching or self coaching?  (Is that like self lawyering?  Only a fool...").   Dunno.  I need to figure out a few things out:

• Me or New Coach (assuming coach here)
  • Getting in touch with her about race schedule leading up to Chattanooga (assuming that I stay with current coah for Boston).  I'm thinking something like an two Olympic distance tris or an Oly and a HIM or just one race.  Dunno.  Also Blue Ridge Breakaway bike ride (or not).
  • When to transition -- if not December than I guess late April but get in touch about race schedule before then?

Mostly I'm just thinking out loud here...  I've found this news to be upsetting -- like losing a friend in a way -- and disconcerting.

A few ???'s come to mind:

1. Has she offered any options?
  2. Does she know anyone that she recommends?
  3. Is this an opportunity to take what you have learned from her and apply it to your own coaching?

Sooner makes sense to me, only from the standpoint that you have to make the change, so why wait?  But I do see the comfort that you have with her and trying to get through Boston.  And maybe the answer is "secret coach" until April (since that is a pretty big goal), but look into options between now and then.

The best part of this is that you don't have to decide now, you can take some time to noodle it around and figure out works best for you. 

2015-10-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Ack!  I just found out that my coach is closing up shop at the end of the year.  I've been with her about forever.  I hurt my back many years ago and I couldn't feel my lower leg or foot.  After I recovered, I asked the PT how I could prevent it from happening again.  It's very scary not being able to feel your foot!  They said, get a coach who knows what the heck they are doing.  I was not even self coached at that point.  I was just riding regularly and that was my entire "plan."  Anyway, I got a referral from a friend to ask Dale about his wife who is a coach with all of the certifications and stuff and I've been with her since then.  It's been really easy to be coached by her since she has tons of history on me. 

What do do from here?

Option 1:  Stay with my current coach (she is willing to coach me through Boston even though she is retiring effective Dec 31.  It will be secret coaching.)

That leaves Chattanooga.  Outside coaching or self coaching?  (Is that like self lawyering?  Only a fool...").   Dunno.  I need to figure out a few things out:

• Getting in touch with her about race schedule leading up to Chattanooga (assuming that I stay with current coah for Boston).  I'm thinking something like an two Olympic distance tris or an Oly and a HIM or just one race.  Dunno.  Also Blue Ridge Breakaway bike ride (or not).
  • When to transition -- if not December than I guess late April but get in touch about race schedule before then?

Mostly I'm just thinking out loud here...  I've found this news to be upsetting -- like losing a friend in a way -- and disconcerting.

She referred me to another coach.  She also offered to coach me through Boston.  So, go with New Coach starting for the Boston build or after Boston?  I'm leaning after Boston, however, I need to line up races between Boston and Chattanooga because at least one of my options may fill.

3. Is this an opportunity to take what you have learned from her and apply it to your own coaching?

Maybe. I'm not sure that an IM is where I should experiment with that.  Then again, I have a lot of data points...

Sooner makes sense to me, only from the standpoint that you have to make the change, so why wait?  But I do see the comfort that you have with her and trying to get through Boston.  And maybe the answer is "secret coach" until April (since that is a pretty big goal), but look into options between now and then.

The best part of this is that you don't have to decide now, you can take some time to noodle it around and figure out works best for you. 

2015-10-20 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

What do do from here?

She referred me to another coach.  She also offered to coach me through Boston.  So, go with New Coach starting for the Boston build or after Boston?  I'm leaning after Boston, however, I need to line up races between Boston and Chattanooga because at least one of my options may fill.

Maybe. I'm not sure that an IM is where I should experiment with that.  Then again, I have a lot of data points...

Wow Janyne that's tough especially when you have been with her so long. Can you talk with her about the stuff that's going through your head?

If she is willing to stick with you through to Boston she might also be willing to also help you work out a race schedule for between Boston and Chattanooga. If you were also to decide to self coach then she might be willing to mentor you with that too if you could work out a way where her commitment to it is much less than full on coaching.

You are a pretty self motivated person so I don't think you would have the issue of needing a coach to motivate you to do the work. I'm thinking that it is more of someone to bounce ideas off, and help you stay balanced etc. I beat that you have gleaned far more skills in this area over the time that you have been with her than you think you have. Don't sell yourself short.

If all of that isn't your cup to tea then have you called the other coach that she has recommended to have a chat with them at all just to see how you feel with them? You know like an interview. If you have been with your current coach for a long time then surely she knows you well enough to recommend someone that you have a good chance of feeling comfortable with.
2015-10-20 5:51 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

What do do from here?

Wow Janyne that's tough especially when you have been with her so long. Can you talk with her about the stuff that's going through your head? If she is willing to stick with you through to Boston she might also be willing to also help you work out a race schedule for between Boston and Chattanooga. If you were also to decide to self coach then she might be willing to mentor you with that too if you could work out a way where her commitment to it is much less than full on coaching. You are a pretty self motivated person so I don't think you would have the issue of needing a coach to motivate you to do the work. I'm thinking that it is more of someone to bounce ideas off, and help you stay balanced etc. I beat that you have gleaned far more skills in this area over the time that you have been with her than you think you have. Don't sell yourself short. If all of that isn't your cup to tea then have you called the other coach that she has recommended to have a chat with them at all just to see how you feel with them? You know like an interview. If you have been with your current coach for a long time then surely she knows you well enough to recommend someone that you have a good chance of feeling comfortable with.

Good point.  I do plan to talk to her about it but I wanted to think on it a bit. Thanks for the input.  I do think that a bit of mentoring would help a lot.

2015-10-21 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
How many sleeps till your puppy arrives Janyne?
2015-10-21 8:22 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK How many sleeps till your puppy arrives Janyne?

Too many!  He's coming home on the 6th.  Temperament testing his this weekend so we'll have a bit more information then.

2015-10-21 9:23 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm a little late to the party but...

I'm Melanie, I live in PA with my husband and 2 sweet dogs.  I play ice hockey (goalie, the best position to play, really ), have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and love doing outdoor activities like kayaking, hiking, running, biking, gardening, bird/nature feeding/watching.  I enjoy good food, I enjoy good beer, cider and wine, and I suppose these things contribute to my Athena-ness.  I very much enjoy triathlon and improving myself even though I'm no speedster.  I am a 63.16 finisher (Syracuse race got cut short due to storms), hoping to become a full-fledged 70.3 finisher in 2016.

2015-10-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi everyone - i had a busy couple of days but I will catch up today! 

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

2015-10-21 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Too many!  He's coming home on the 6th.  Temperament testing his this weekend so we'll have a bit more information then.

Love temperament testing for goldens!  What are the categories: sweet; super sweet; OMG!; awww  

2015-10-21 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

What do do from here?

Wow Janyne that's tough especially when you have been with her so long. Can you talk with her about the stuff that's going through your head? If she is willing to stick with you through to Boston she might also be willing to also help you work out a race schedule for between Boston and Chattanooga. If you were also to decide to self coach then she might be willing to mentor you with that too if you could work out a way where her commitment to it is much less than full on coaching. You are a pretty self motivated person so I don't think you would have the issue of needing a coach to motivate you to do the work. I'm thinking that it is more of someone to bounce ideas off, and help you stay balanced etc. I beat that you have gleaned far more skills in this area over the time that you have been with her than you think you have. Don't sell yourself short. If all of that isn't your cup to tea then have you called the other coach that she has recommended to have a chat with them at all just to see how you feel with them? You know like an interview. If you have been with your current coach for a long time then surely she knows you well enough to recommend someone that you have a good chance of feeling comfortable with.

Good point.  I do plan to talk to her about it but I wanted to think on it a bit. Thanks for the input.  I do think that a bit of mentoring would help a lot.

My two cents is to meet with the new/proposed coach and see if you're interested. It seems you really like having a coach and you should see if your styles match and get a least an initial gut feeling. I would maybe even want to do some coaching before IM build (even for Boston, maybe?) to see if it will work for IM because it will be hard to change since it will come quickly after Boston, right? 

Edited by juniperjen 2015-10-21 10:24 AM
2015-10-21 10:22 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So, quick bio - Hi, I am Jen - i am 35, live in Toronto, Canada with my husband, two year old daughter, 11 year old chocolate lab dog, and a 12 year old cat.  I keep pretty busy with family and work alone. But I have been doing triathlons since 2009 and running since 2005. I was a complete non-swimmer before seeing my now-husband (then boyfriend) do Ironman Canada in 2007 and then i decided i wanted to do that and started learning to swim at 28 years old. It was steep learning curve but for some reason I really wanted to do tris and kept at it. I am still not a great swimmer but I manage well enough.

I've done quite a few races and Athlinks surprised me by pulling 50 race results (still doesn't include a few events).  I've done pretty much every distance of tri and did Ironman Mont-Tremblant in 2012 and I am still thrilled with my result.  :D I had an awesome day. I am keeping at it but not quite as consistent as I was. But i did a HIM this year and although i was a little disappointed i am still pretty pleased that I managed it.  I have no races planned at the moment - we are planning a huge home reno (adding second storey, renovating everything else) and hoping another child will be on the horizon in the not too distant future. I have no plans to quit triathlon or endurance sport ... I am in way too deep at this point. 

2015-10-21 10:30 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jet Black Hi I'm Sean. I change directions a lot, but I'm always going somewhere. For about a year now I've been obsessed with triathlon and doing an IM (registered for IMTX 2016). I live in sweltering Houston, TX with my wife and two kids and dog Jet. Don't know if I've ever posted a pic of Jet, love this guy!

So CUTE!!! 

2015-10-21 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Oh and now that I've read your bios i should add - i am recent convert to beer. Love it. But i also enjoy wine and other spirits though two drinks is more than enough for this lightweight! hahaha!

With all the dogs and booze i think i'll get along well here!

2015-10-21 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Pet pictures!!!  

Our totally vicious pit bull mix Brisket:

Brisket!

And our other cute little furry jerks Miss Priscilla (dark tabby) and Mr. Felix (ginger

puddies!

2015-10-21 1:02 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pennsylvania

I already whined about this in the 'Gimme your best first world problems thread', but here it is again for manatee enjoyment: 

I stopped at McDonald's this am after swimming to get my (rare) occasional breakfast treat of a dollar menu sausage biscuit and a hash brown, usually totaling $2.12 (including tax).  This morning the total was $2.33 - hash browns are no longer a dollar but are now $1.19.  What is this world coming to?!  Heh, for all I know it's been like that for months.  I don't think I've stopped for my treat since August.

2015-10-21 1:34 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by melbo55

I already whined about this in the 'Gimme your best first world problems thread', but here it is again for manatee enjoyment: 

I stopped at McDonald's this am after swimming to get my (rare) occasional breakfast treat of a dollar menu sausage biscuit and a hash brown, usually totaling $2.12 (including tax).  This morning the total was $2.33 - hash browns are no longer a dollar but are now $1.19.  What is this world coming to?!  Heh, for all I know it's been like that for months.  I don't think I've stopped for my treat since August.

I felt the same way when they pulled a small order of fries from the dollar menu.  They are tough to beat for a quick cheap breakfast.  About three days a week it's a large coffee and sausage McMuffin. 

2015-10-21 1:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Oh, and I am back in Seattle and sorta-kinda around. 

My California adventure was AWESOME! I got to see and experience so much beauty, get some truly quality time in with my parents and a TON of important things done for work. Anyone following along on social media has probably seen these but, a few photos:

It kind of ended up being tour de hotspring. One of my very favorite things in the world. Anyway, we didn't get to summit Mt. Whitney. A huge snow and lightning storm came in the night before dumping about 18". Due to the mild nature of the climb, we could have summited with mountaineering gear but I really want to save this one for a run summit, so, we did a different hike instead. So, Whitney goes on the back burner. Maybe next year. 

Breathtaking! And the scenery, too

You make me really miss the place. Such wonderful, wonderful memories. Also, I adored your mountain goat pic from awhile back. I do lurk--I just go on manatee migration sometimes.

2015-10-21 2:11 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Richardsdrr With all the Cannuks in the ranks, feel like I should end all sentences with M'kay. Uhh, M'kay

Eh!

Thought that was a Canadian thing, or have I got that mixed up, like so much other stuff?

I think that Steve was saying that "eh" is a Canadian thing, eh?

This was a 'card' for my sister that's been on her door for years now.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2015-10-21 2:11 PM

(01.Rebus (Copy).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
01.Rebus (Copy).jpg (83KB - 1 downloads)
2015-10-21 2:31 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

Aaaaand it's been so long since a completely inappropriate Yanti remark or pic of me in underwear ...

If the Blue Jays moved to Vancouver, would they be called the Va- ..... okay, you get it.

2015-10-21 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

What do do from here?

My two cents is to meet with the new/proposed coach and see if you're interested. It seems you really like having a coach and you should see if your styles match and get a least an initial gut feeling. I would maybe even want to do some coaching before IM build (even for Boston, maybe?) to see if it will work for IM because it will be hard to change since it will come quickly after Boston, right? 

I'm leaning towards being coached for Boston (by my current coach) and then doing self coaching for Chattanooga.  Boston is in mid April and Chattanooga is at the end of September (5+ months -- 23 weeks).  The whole situation makes leaves me unsettled though.  Going on a tightrope without a safety net...

And to answer your question, yes, I like being coached.  The thing is, the coach that I've been referred to has a good reputation but I know several people who have worked with Jackie (Jackie Miller, http://www.britfit.com/)and they all have seemed to like her a lot. And they have all dropped her right after the event. They've remained friendly with her afterwards when they see her around but it's not really the type of relationship that I am looking for. 

Edited by jmkizer 2015-10-21 4:48 PM
2015-10-21 9:20 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Love temperament testing for goldens!  What are the categories: sweet; super sweet; OMG!; awww  

I was thinking the same.

2015-10-22 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Pet pictures!!!  

Brisket!

And our other cute little furry jerks Miss Priscilla (dark tabby) and Mr. Felix (ginger

puddies!

Brisket looks like a killer!

Here's my vicious German Shepherd Gunnar.

ETA: I have no idea why the pics only posted as links!!!

Edited by amd723 2015-10-22 7:06 AM

Attachments
----------------
image.jpeg (666KB - 15 downloads)
image.jpeg (1217KB - 10 downloads)
2015-10-22 9:12 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Mary (laffinrock) said to tell the Pod hi.  She's still on reading restrictions and feels quite ill if she looks at a computer/screen/reads.  Oddly, she said, eye restrictions are what they are mainly focusing on right now, she's allowed light physical activity and has been doing yard work and went for a short run.  Unfortunately, her doctor told her it may take months for the eye issues to resolve.  Let's hope it doesn't take that long!  Send her some inspires and love if you get the chance - she can get Alex to read them if necessary.

2015-10-22 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Pet pictures!!!  

OhMuhGarsh!!  He's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!  

2015-10-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Pet pictures!!!  

OhMuhGarsh!!  He's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!  

Oooooh, that's a three dog night kinda pup!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55613 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68421 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29157 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67908 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.