BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-09-02 2:15 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by tomsimper
And zen
Hi everybody!

Nothing tri related but a question for the Florida based peeps, thinking of booking Orlando next year and as trying to work out if august weather is ok or too hot and lots of thunder storms? Any advice would be great!
Da system th

Your bill for the month comes to GBP98.09, which is due on 02/08/2017. To see a breakdown of your bill in our new and improved format , log in at vodafone.co.uk/myvodafone

Yes to everything Ann-hsvisin said!

I'm from Colorado. We have the heat that Florida does, but we don't have the humidity. The humidity makes me melt. However, we get to the parks as soon as they open, take a break in the afternoon to swim, nap, or do laundry, then head back out when it's a bit cooler. We will also brave the rain storms because a lot of people leave the parks during the storms making for shorter wait times.

Signed, a person who is going through huge Walt Disney World withdrawals!

Thank you both as that helps,

2017-09-02 2:19 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

September 2-3
Jim - Boyne City Triathlon - Sprint on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Continued good thoughts for our Texas Manatees.
* Sean (east Houston area) has checked in
* Matt (Austin area) has checked in
* Justin (Dallas area) has checked in
* Jonathan (between Houston and Dallas but closer to Dallas) has checked in
* Markus (NE Houston, Cypress to be exact) - sent him a PM on BT. I am concerned about him. The last NWS map that I saw seems to show this area as near flood stage.

I know that both TJ and Lisa will be in Chattanooga on the 24th and that Ann-Marie, Jim, and I will be in Louisville next month (Anne too?). Are there any other upcoming Manatee Meet Ups? I would like to add them as "club events."

Good luck Jim

Thinking on you guys in Texas, my Dad lives in Cypress and he said he was ok a couple of days ago.
2017-09-02 5:49 PM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Master
Go, Jim, go!!

Thinking of all the Manatees in Texas. Hope recovery is quick for your state.

I have pneumonia. I thought I've been just having a bad asthma spell, but was struggling so much for breath yesterday I finally went to the clinic. Yay meds! Should be back to 100% soon. It's been terrible for training and sleeping. Looking forward to clear breathing!

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!!
2017-09-02 6:12 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blanda Go, Jim, go!! Thinking of all the Manatees in Texas. Hope recovery is quick for your state. I have pneumonia. I thought I've been just having a bad asthma spell, but was struggling so much for breath yesterday I finally went to the clinic. Yay meds! Should be back to 100% soon. It's been terrible for training and sleeping. Looking forward to clear breathing! Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!!

Blanda,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been under the weather. Take care!

2017-09-03 8:01 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Blanda Go, Jim, go!! Thinking of all the Manatees in Texas. Hope recovery is quick for your state. I have pneumonia. I thought I've been just having a bad asthma spell, but was struggling so much for breath yesterday I finally went to the clinic. Yay meds! Should be back to 100% soon. It's been terrible for training and sleeping. Looking forward to clear breathing! Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!!
Glad you got it figured out and are on the mend.

2017-09-03 8:02 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Have a GREAT race, Jim.

2017-09-05 8:48 PM
in reply to: #5227498

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Radio silence.........
2017-09-05 9:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
thanks for all of the well wishes, but I should have looked at the forum. I didn't race. I only do this race if a friend comes up from downstate, because it isn't worth fighting holiday traffic to go to this race, otherwise. I spent the weekend painting, instead. One of our rental houses came open, so I've been getting it ready for a new tenant.

I do race for real this weekend. I have a half IM this weekend. It's in my hometown and I am the city's liaison for the race, so I'm sort of married to it. I will just forward your good lucks to this week haha.

Edited by JBacarella 2017-09-06 8:10 AM
2017-09-06 9:02 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JBacarella thanks for all of the well wishes, but I should have looked at the forum. I didn't race. I only do this race if a friend comes up from downstate, because it isn't worth fighting holiday traffic to go to this race, otherwise. I spent the weekend painting, instead. One of our rental houses came open, so I've been getting it ready for a new tenant. I do race for real this weekend. I have a half IM this weekend. It's in my hometown and I am the city's liaison for the race, so I'm sort of married to it. I will just forward your good lucks to this week haha.

Well, I hope you have a great race with your... ummmm.... special someone-race?  Not sure how to refer to it, but I hope it's a long and happy marriage!

And all you pod-mates in Irma's possible path, hunker down or bug out - but be safe either way.

Matt

2017-09-07 4:11 AM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Master
Thank you for the well wishes! I'm still taking it easy per Doc orders. An easy ride here, a slog there, and trying to get my parts of a crossfit competition done. Picking my battles to keep recovery going.

Good luck with your HIM this weekend, Jim! Hope our Texans are recovering, and our Floridians are making plans for safety. My mom, brother and oldest daughter are in Jacksonville. Guammies are quite schooled in storm survival, BUT our homes our made of mostly concrete. I worry about the non concrete homes of my family.

Hope it's been a kind week, and your slide into the weekend is enjoyable.
2017-09-07 8:04 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by JBacarella thanks for all of the well wishes, but I should have looked at the forum. I didn't race. I only do this race if a friend comes up from downstate, because it isn't worth fighting holiday traffic to go to this race, otherwise. I spent the weekend painting, instead. One of our rental houses came open, so I've been getting it ready for a new tenant. I do race for real this weekend. I have a half IM this weekend. It's in my hometown and I am the city's liaison for the race, so I'm sort of married to it. I will just forward your good lucks to this week haha.

Well, I hope you have a great race with your... ummmm.... special someone-race?  Not sure how to refer to it, but I hope it's a long and happy marriage!

And all you pod-mates in Irma's possible path, hunker down or bug out - but be safe either way.

Matt

There is a story behind this. About 8 years ago the RD was thinking of pulling out of my town and finding another city. The company that owns the event is a mid-sized mostly regional company. The biggest in this state. He hadn't publicly said anything (he didn't wan to kill the event without having another plan), but I was picking up on some non-verbal and reading between the lines. I asked him outright, if he was going to move the event someplace else. He said they were considering it and voiced his concerns.
At that time, I was heavily involved with the city. I sat on a couple of boards and knew everyone who worked for the city, and all of the business owners. I started talking to them about the tri and what was going on within the city. I discovered a communication problem. He was an outside business and did not have a relationship with any of the business owners or the city really. I got everyone to the table, worked most of the concerns. Reworked the transition area, so it was really better for everyone. They had them in a parking lot taking up most of the downtown parking. We moved the TA and finish onto the main road downtown and set it up ITU style. I dumped about 1,500 spectators right at the front door of every store and restaurant in town. We are a tourist town and business dries up after Labor Day. Plus the spectators are literally 5' from the athletes in transition. The RD loved it, because it concentrated the race and TA and made set up and take down faster.
After the dust settled, and the race was over, the city approached me and asked me to be their liaison for the event. If someone has a problem, question, or concern they send them to me and I take care of it from there. It has been everything from finding a walk in cooler for the race to getting jail trustees to help tear down, so the street opens faster.
Now, If I don't race this race, I am a schmuck. Therefore I am now married to the event, because I put my reputation on the line by saving the event. We have had a good relationship together and I hope it continues for many more years, or I will find another event.

2017-09-07 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
I was watching the news about Irma, I hope everyone on the East Coast and Florida stays safe and takes the precautions they need.
2017-09-07 10:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Wow I didn't realize we had so many Texans here - Hope everyone is ok - and FL OMG another one!

Stay safe all - I'm thinking about you!

2017-09-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just checking in from representing Manatees at 70.3 Worlds in Chattanooga and sad to report I spent much of last night throwing up. Not sure if it was something I ate or (OMG I hope so) one of the 24 hour tummy bug things. Hoping whatever it was has cleared the system. I did a bus tour of the bike course yesterday and rode the last 27 km of it. Beautiful but extremely brutal. Times will be slow, not just mine (if I can even start/finish). Beautiful, sunny fall weather here but I am spending the rest of the day in bed, trying to keep down crackers. Arrrrrrgh!

Guessing my return trip might be impacted to some extent as I'm transiting through Atlanta Sunday afternoon, and probably a lot of people will be evacuating via that route. Hope the Floridians stay safe!
2017-09-07 12:05 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Just checking in from representing Manatees at 70.3 Worlds in Chattanooga and sad to report I spent much of last night throwing up. Not sure if it was something I ate or (OMG I hope so) one of the 24 hour tummy bug things. Hoping whatever it was has cleared the system. I did a bus tour of the bike course yesterday and rode the last 27 km of it. Beautiful but extremely brutal. Times will be slow, not just mine (if I can even start/finish). Beautiful, sunny fall weather here but I am spending the rest of the day in bed, trying to keep down crackers. Arrrrrrgh! Guessing my return trip might be impacted to some extent as I'm transiting through Atlanta Sunday afternoon, and probably a lot of people will be evacuating via that route. Hope the Floridians stay safe!

Oh no! Feel better, Karen!

2017-09-07 12:35 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Guessing my return trip might be impacted to some extent as I'm transiting through Atlanta Sunday afternoon, and probably a lot of people will be evacuating via that route. Hope the Floridians stay safe!

Crossing my fingers for you - I have a feeling Sunday travel through ATL is going to be dicey. Traffic jams already being reported on I-75 North coming from Florida... all hotels on the highway sold out... even metro Atlanta hotels are filling to capacity. I think people are trying to decide if they stay or head north, and a lot may wait until Sunday to make the decision? Just speculation. I would TOTALLY offer my fellow manatee a place to stay if you get stuck here, but my sister and her two boys are evacuating to my house tomorrow so my 2-bedroom house will be full. Please keep us updated - and hope you have a great race despite the issues!

2017-09-07 12:41 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Hot Runner Guessing my return trip might be impacted to some extent as I'm transiting through Atlanta Sunday afternoon, and probably a lot of people will be evacuating via that route. Hope the Floridians stay safe!

Crossing my fingers for you - I have a feeling Sunday travel through ATL is going to be dicey. Traffic jams already being reported on I-75 North coming from Florida... all hotels on the highway sold out... even metro Atlanta hotels are filling to capacity. I think people are trying to decide if they stay or head north, and a lot may wait until Sunday to make the decision? Just speculation. I would TOTALLY offer my fellow manatee a place to stay if you get stuck here, but my sister and her two boys are evacuating to my house tomorrow so my 2-bedroom house will be full. Please keep us updated - and hope you have a great race despite the issues!

These storms are fickle. Watchful waiting is about all that you can do.

Hang in there!

2017-09-07 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Just checking in from representing Manatees at 70.3 Worlds in Chattanooga and sad to report I spent much of last night throwing up. Not sure if it was something I ate or (OMG I hope so) one of the 24 hour tummy bug things. Hoping whatever it was has cleared the system. I did a bus tour of the bike course yesterday and rode the last 27 km of it. Beautiful but extremely brutal. Times will be slow, not just mine (if I can even start/finish). Beautiful, sunny fall weather here but I am spending the rest of the day in bed, trying to keep down crackers. Arrrrrrgh! Guessing my return trip might be impacted to some extent as I'm transiting through Atlanta Sunday afternoon, and probably a lot of people will be evacuating via that route. Hope the Floridians stay safe!

Oh no! Feel better, Karen!

Yes, feel better!

2017-09-07 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hang in there!

They are fickle! I'm sticking with my guess that it will move further east of the coast and not be such an issue. Although with every passing update that course is a little less likely! But I believe it will happen - mainly b/c I have a 5 hour bike Sunday and I DO NOT want to do that on the trainer

2017-09-07 12:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Hang in there!

They are fickle! I'm sticking with my guess that it will move further east of the coast and not be such an issue. Although with every passing update that course is a little less likely! But I believe it will happen - mainly b/c I have a 5 hour bike Sunday and I DO NOT want to do that on the trainer

How do the winds look on Saturday? Rideable? Can you flip flop your weekend training?

2017-09-07 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hang in there!

How do the winds look on Saturday? Rideable? Can you flip flop your weekend training?

I thought about doing that, but we are supposed to start feeling TS winds early am Sunday, so don't think I can get my 18 run in then.  While I will hate it, if i keep things the same I can run and, ugh, spend some quality time on the trainer.  Still, i'm hoping for a change in Irma's path or timing (for the better!

2017-09-07 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hang in there!

I thought about doing that, but we are supposed to start feeling TS winds early am Sunday, so don't think I can get my 18 run in then.  While I will hate it, if i keep things the same I can run and, ugh, spend some quality time on the trainer.  Still, i'm hoping for a change in Irma's path or timing (for the better!

Boo! The only other thing that I can think of is moving your rest day and using a vacation day :-(

2017-09-07 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Flying through ATL, not driving, so it looks like if flights out are affected, I'd be staying in the airport with a lot of other people in similar straits. If I'm on a delayed or cancelled flight, I'm pretty much stuck there until the one I can get on leaves. Not the first time and wouldn't be the last. My parents have friends there so I guess in a dire situation, if roads are open, they might be able to help me out. Have not tossed any cookies for six hours now so hoping at least that my tummy is on the mend.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-09-07 2:02 PM
2017-09-07 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hang in there!

This storm is merely a chance to get some Strava KOM's.  Timing is everything. 

TW asked me this morning if I was planning to go ride. I'm not really. There is a sprint point about 4 miles from my house that everyone has ridden. I expect it will change hands this weekend, since early storm winds would be a benefit. 

You may see clouds, I see the silver lining.

2017-09-07 3:31 PM

User image

Expert

Hang in there!

Boo! The only other thing that I can think of is moving your rest day and using a vacation day :-(

On the trainer the rule of thumb is 1.5 times the time on the road. You could actually have a more effective workout without doing a full 5 hours on the trainer. Check my math but 3:30 on the trainer should be equal to the work of 5 hours on the road. You may still want to gouge your eyes out before it's over.
Riding in a hurricane, image the speed you would get with that tail wind (not recommended).

Edited by JBacarella 2017-09-07 3:32 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44