BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-10 9:47 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by juniperjen

Right. Do you have a fitness watch? My garmin tracks steps so it can track (not that well) so it can record treadmill runs which go to Strava ... several folks here have invested in footpods to go with their watch for treadmill running (not me at this point)

that's so funny about the wind and the snow banks! 

Happy Friday all! I have a few folks on my Instagram who are doing the Disney Marathon and Dopey Challenge - and i have to say i am intrigued but i don't think i am in the place where i would enjoy in the way it's supposed to. How long do people wait in line for character photos? And all the costumes i do think are fun but are so not me ... what say you manatees - what are the pros and cons of these races? 

Ann-Marie can probably add more info. I have done the half marathon there and found it to be really early and really dark. 

EDIT: I see that she already did!

I've done the half as well.

Pros - it was Disney and I am 5 so I was in heaven. Running through the castle was amazing when your 5. After the race you can do a nice little cool down walking in a park. We did Epcot after we showered and rested a bit. My husband drank a beer in every country. I ate a dessert from every country.

If you stay on-site, they have free transportation to and from the race and the expo. I have a friend who is a Disney-only travel agent and she booked and rebooked our reservation several times as WDW came out with discounts.

Running through the Magic Kingdom and Epcot was amazing. Once again you must remember I turn into a 5 year old when it comes to Disney.

Cons - 4:00 am EST is really 2:00 am MST and that was miserable haha. It was really hot the year we did the race and I had a lot of trouble in the heat. They actually put out a heat warning before the race. It was 85 when I finished. I can tell you I will never use UCANN again because it did not stay down because I was dying in the heat.

Crowds during the race. We got to an overpass and there was a line of women who were walking arm-in-arm, blocking everyone behind them from passing. It got a bit ugly when they told us we were not being magical.

The races are really expensive. But it's Disney so I'm okay with that!

Would I ever do a runDisney event again? Yes.

I did prefer the Avengers Half in Disneyland over running at the World. You run through Disneyland, California Adventure, and then at one point you run through Angels Stadium and of course since it's Disney, they take your picture there. They also have your picture on the stadium screen. Best part of this race was it was on my 50th birthday. How many times do you get the chance to run a race at a Disney Park on your 50th birthday? After the race we went to Ghiradelli and I got a free chocolate shake and it was the best post-race refueling ever.

2020-01-10 9:57 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

Awesome -- ! So glad to have fellow Alaskans in the mix. Thanks for saying hi :-)
2020-01-11 9:07 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Originally posted by fortissimo  

Make that 4 Manatees that know Laramie. I'm a bit north of Denver and two hours south of Laramie on a good day. My great aunt and uncle owned a ranch on the Laramie River and I spent many summers there as a kid. They moved into town when they retired from ranching and we visited them often.

Are you in a northern suburb of Denver? Like Brighton or Longmont? --TS

2020-01-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Manatees, remember to sign up for the JoGo Challenge by adding your name to the appropriate places in the spreadsheet.  Like last year, we are doing a choose-your-own-adventure type format.

Dooo Eeettt!!!

2020-01-12 5:42 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Make that 4 Manatees that know Laramie. I'm a bit north of Denver and two hours south of Laramie on a good day. My great aunt and uncle owned a ranch on the Laramie River and I spent many summers there as a kid. They moved into town when they retired from ranching and we visited them often.

Are you in a northern suburb of Denver? Like Brighton or Longmont? --TS

Thornton
2020-01-13 12:01 AM

User image

Right. Do you have a fitness watch? My garmin tracks steps so it can track (not that well) so it can record treadmill runs which go to Strava ... several folks here have invested in footpods to go with their watch for treadmill running (not me at this point)

that's so funny about the wind and the snow banks! 

Happy Friday all! I have a few folks on my Instagram who are doing the Disney Marathon and Dopey Challenge - and i have to say i am intrigued but i don't think i am in the place where i would enjoy in the way it's supposed to. How long do people wait in line for character photos? And all the costumes i do think are fun but are so not me ... what say you manatees - what are the pros and cons of these races? 

Ann-Marie can probably add more info. I have done the half marathon there and found it to be really early and really dark. 

EDIT: I see that she already did!

I've done the half as well.

Pros - it was Disney and I am 5 so I was in heaven. Running through the castle was amazing when your 5. After the race you can do a nice little cool down walking in a park. We did Epcot after we showered and rested a bit. My husband drank a beer in every country. I ate a dessert from every country.

If you stay on-site, they have free transportation to and from the race and the expo. I have a friend who is a Disney-only travel agent and she booked and rebooked our reservation several times as WDW came out with discounts.

Running through the Magic Kingdom and Epcot was amazing. Once again you must remember I turn into a 5 year old when it comes to Disney.

Cons - 4:00 am EST is really 2:00 am MST and that was miserable haha. It was really hot the year we did the race and I had a lot of trouble in the heat. They actually put out a heat warning before the race. It was 85 when I finished. I can tell you I will never use UCANN again because it did not stay down because I was dying in the heat.

Crowds during the race. We got to an overpass and there was a line of women who were walking arm-in-arm, blocking everyone behind them from passing. It got a bit ugly when they told us we were not being magical.

The races are really expensive. But it's Disney so I'm okay with that!

Would I ever do a runDisney event again? Yes.

I did prefer the Avengers Half in Disneyland over running at the World. You run through Disneyland, California Adventure, and then at one point you run through Angels Stadium and of course since it's Disney, they take your picture there. They also have your picture on the stadium screen. Best part of this race was it was on my 50th birthday. How many times do you get the chance to run a race at a Disney Park on your 50th birthday? After the race we went to Ghiradelli and I got a free chocolate shake and it was the best post-race refueling ever.

I have done the Goofy Challenge on the 25th marathon anniversary. It was a neat experience. Definately gives you the big race feel without the headaches of Boston or NY.

I have a conference that is at Disney every couple years and it is generally around the time of the marathon. I had seen people with their medals in the park and got some serious FOMO. So we planned to do the races the next time my conference was at Disney.
I ran the half with my wife and we were in corral C. There was some waiting for pictures but not horrible. It was really crowded in parts and run walkers and runners don't always see eye to eye. I didn't think it was to bad but some online discussions would suggest others had different experiences. It was nice to have a chill race that we could do together and get lots of fun pictures.

For the Marathon I was in corral B. It was my second marathon and I PR'd by a few minutes. There was no wait at any of the pictures sites so I got lots. I liked that we hit all of the parks. There was always something to keep you going and in corral B it didn't feel nearly as crowed. Wasn't going for a PR but realized I was moving pretty good at mile 23. I think all the happenings around me kept my mind busy. I think I at the time I registered I only had a HM time.

After the raced I didn't feel like I needed to do another disney race. The Expo is great and you can by lots of mementos. I would consider doing the marathon again since they have added to Animal kingdom and Hollywood studios. I would not try to do the goofy or dopey challenge again, not because it was difficult but it is a huge time suck. Multiple early mornings, and if you pay for park access you miss much of the day.

2020-01-13 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Manatees, remember to sign up for the JoGo Challenge by adding your name to the appropriate places in the spreadsheet.  Like last year, we are doing a choose-your-own-adventure type format.

Dooo Eeettt!!!

I am in the weight loss sheet. TW took a pic of me at the Hamster Wheel this weekend and it is APPARENT that this is starting at the right time for me.

2020-01-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on Disney ... i do love Disney like Robin. I think i cried a little on a trip there in 2009 when i was at Cinderella's castle. It is likely not even in the cards but i was curious about it. It seems like the race was very hot this year. And with that early wake up call i wouldn't be doing much other than laying in a beach/pool chair after that. 

2020-01-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Dooo Eeettt!!!

I am in the weight loss sheet. TW took a pic of me at the Hamster Wheel this weekend and it is APPARENT that this is starting at the right time for me.

Yes, good timing!! 

2020-01-13 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Dooo Eeettt!!!

I hate those pictures!

I'm in for Keep On Moving and Core/Strength/Yoga. I kind of wanted to do the distance challenge but couldn't figure out how to do my goal, especially since my training plan right now is 100% time based (not distance goals for winter training).  Maybe I can hit the distance challenge up next time we do this.

It looks like Curtis, Robin, Kirsten, Marysia, Jen Snyder, Karen, Jason, Chris, and I are all signed up.

Where is Ann-Marie? Laura? Jen Stewey? Melanie? You four are almost always up for a challenge!

2020-01-13 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Dooo Eeettt!!!

I hate those pictures!

I'm in for Keep On Moving and Core/Strength/Yoga. I kind of wanted to do the distance challenge but couldn't figure out how to do my goal, especially since my training plan right now is 100% time based (not distance goals for winter training).  Maybe I can hit the distance challenge up next time we do this.

It looks like Curtis, Robin, Kirsten, Marysia, Jen Snyder, Karen, Jason, Chris, and I are all signed up.

Where is Ann-Marie? Laura? Jen Stewey? Melanie? You four are almost always up for a challenge!

I usually am, but am in a take it easy phase bc i've been on the edge of burnout (and getting over bruised ribs and some knee area injury) so I don't want to sign up for anything that will make me feel obligated to complete a whatever when I'm not feeling it! I could do the weightloss option but i don't want to !

2020-01-13 9:10 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on Disney ... i do love Disney like Robin. I think i cried a little on a trip there in 2009 when i was at Cinderella's castle. It is likely not even in the cards but i was curious about it. It seems like the race was very hot this year. And with that early wake up call i wouldn't be doing much other than laying in a beach/pool chair after that. 

This year was the hottest year for the marathon. From what i've been told there were people dropping left and right and the med tent was super active. It got so bad that around the 5-5:30 hr mark they shortened the course for the people still out there. I think it was about a 2 mile shortening. They also had a 5 am start planned this year but traffic was so bad getting in - even the on-site hotel buses got delayed, they started 20 minutes late. 

2020-01-13 9:11 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Dooo Eeettt!!!

I hate those pictures!

I usually am, but am in a take it easy phase bc i've been on the edge of burnout (and getting over bruised ribs and some knee area injury) so I don't want to sign up for anything that will make me feel obligated to complete a whatever when I'm not feeling it! I could do the weightloss option but i don't want to !

You could do the Core/Strength/Yoga. Just saying!

Honestly, though, I get it. I am in the midst of return-to-run (so disheartening!) and cannot push mileage.

2020-01-13 9:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This year was the hottest year for the marathon. From what i've been told there were people dropping left and right and the med tent was super active. It got so bad that around the 5-5:30 hr mark they shortened the course for the people still out there. I think it was about a 2 mile shortening. They also had a 5 am start planned this year but traffic was so bad getting in - even the on-site hotel buses got delayed, they started 20 minutes late. 

I heard something about a club that people can (need to?) join to get into the race now?

For the small fee of $798.43, you get a guaranteed opportunity to purchase one (1) spot in the half marathon or greater distances each race weekend through early registration and upgraded corral placement

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-13 9:20 AM
2020-01-13 9:19 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

I can only imagine how hot the April races are there. Orlando isn't a lot hotter than Raleigh for much of the year, but it seems about 10 times more humid.
2020-01-13 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I heard something about a club that people can (need to?) join to get into the race now?

For the small fee of $798.43, you get a guaranteed opportunity to purchase one (1) spot in the half marathon or greater distances each race weekend through early registration and upgraded corral placement

That's Disney for you, making money hand over fist! I think the races eventually sell out but most people have no problem getting in. I can't remember when it sold out this time but it was late. 

2020-01-13 9:25 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

January 11-2
Chris - Hamster Wheel

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Thanks Janyne, but I am hardly racing. I'm helping a friend get in mileage, so he is hoping for a metric century as he preps for the Rift in Iceland.  My only two hopes are to stave off boredom and avoid saddle sores.

Oh yeah, TW will be hoping to sell Piggy's OOMF socks. Let me know if you want a pair, Oink, Oink My Friends!

My love of fun socks is well documented.  Please let me know how I can procure a pair, I'd love to support the event and have happy feet to boot!

2020-01-13 9:26 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by awm007

I can only imagine how hot the April races are there. Orlando isn't a lot hotter than Raleigh for much of the year, but it seems about 10 times more humid.

Yes, i think we are more humid which is swell Actually, i'm so used to it that it doesn't really bother me anymore. The funny thing is we want colder weather to run in and then the few times we have it lots of runners in my program don't show up bc they are too cold! I love it.

2020-01-13 9:28 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

The humidity is what gets me every time. Here in Denver it used to be just heat. Now it's becoming more humid and it always seems to be super humid the first weekend of August for the Boulder 70.3. I never want to run around Boulder Rez again when it's over 100, humid, and no shade.

I'm in for the "Keep On Moving" and the "Strength/Core/Yoga." I'm making time as I have decided to enjoy my last semester as a teacher and say no to things other than teaching. What are they going to do, fire me?
2020-01-13 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The humidity is what gets me every time. Here in Denver it used to be just heat. Now it's becoming more humid and it always seems to be super humid the first weekend of August for the Boulder 70.3. I never want to run around Boulder Rez again when it's over 100, humid, and no shade. I'm in for the "Keep On Moving" and the "Strength/Core/Yoga." I'm making time as I have decided to enjoy my last semester as a teacher and say no to things other than teaching. What are they going to do, fire me?

Define "humid."

Awesome that you are in for the JoGo!

2020-01-13 9:39 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Dooo Eeettt!!!

I hate those pictures!

I've been temporarily out of commission because of a wicked cold/illness but I'm slowly making my way back into the land of the living and have added my name to the sheet for weight loss, keep moving, and strength/core/yoga which I might turn into strength/core/yoga/stretching.  I desperately need to be more diligent with staying pliable.  Thanks for getting the sheet in order, Chris!

2020-01-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Dooo Eeettt!!!

I hate those pictures!

I've been temporarily out of commission because of a wicked cold/illness but I'm slowly making my way back into the land of the living and have added my name to the sheet for weight loss, keep moving, and strength/core/yoga which I might turn into strength/core/yoga/stretching.  I desperately need to be more diligent with staying pliable.  Thanks for getting the sheet in order, Chris!

I'm glad that you are feeling a bit more yourself.

Definitely use the sheet however you need to. That's one reason that it's in the choose-your-own format.  I think that the point is that it holds us accountable.  The strength/core/yoga for me also includes my PT exercises.

2020-01-13 10:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Some of you may know I've been working with a coach the past few years, not because I am some special, elite athlete (FAR from it) but because I have goals that I feel might better be achieved with some guidance, plus I've learned the structure and accountability work for me.  Most recently I've been working with a coaching group that is based in VA (SpeedSherpa) but have clients/athletes all over the country and possibly even some overseas.  Originally I worked with Coach Josh from this group and while I was overall happy with his workouts/interactions, etc., I've decided this year to mix it up a little and change to another coach in the group, Coach Kim (female).  Interestingly, she's based in Ohio, away from the main coaching group.  

After an initial phone call with her in the fall of 2019, I felt like she would be a good fit for me.  She works full time as a teacher and keeps her coached athlete pool small, no more than 5-7 but in reality, I'm not sure she even has 5.  After this past week/weekend, she's earned even more 'points' with me.  I skipped one of the scheduled runs last week when my cold was starting to produce coughing and I noted this in the comment.  She wisely didn't schedule any workouts for the rest of the week and told me to let her know when I felt good enough to restart.

I had planned on contacting her Saturday evening but she beat me to the punch.  I told her I'd probably be up for an easy, shorter bike (as not to set off any coughing) and she posted a bike workout that perfectly detailed what I had requested.  After I completed the bike, I added comments about how it went and we discussed the next few workouts and the week.  Very easy run tonight.  Easy bike tomorrow.  Stay out of the pool until closer to 100% (was she reading my mind?!  I hate/refuse to swim with snot/cough/congestion), so for her to suggest it on her own was like, WOW!  I told her I am donating blood Wed. am, so keep any workout that day very light.  She said we'll use that day as an off day.  Wow.  I was beyond excited and impressed with her plan! 

Edited by melbo55 2020-01-13 10:34 AM
2020-01-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Some of you may know I've been working with a coach the past few years, not because I am some special, elite athlete (FAR from it) but because I have goals that I feel might better be achieved with some guidance, plus I've learned the structure and accountability work for me.  Most recently I've been working with a coaching group that is based in VA (SpeedSherpa) but have clients/athletes all over the country and possibly even some overseas.  Originally I worked with Coach Josh from this group and while I was overall happy with his workouts/interactions, etc., I've decided this year to mix it up a little and change to another coach in the group, Coach Kim (female).  Interestingly, she's based in Ohio, away from the main coaching group.  

After an initial phone call with her in the fall of 2019, I felt like she would be a good fit for me.  She works full time as a teacher and keeps her coached athlete pool small, no more than 7 but in reality, I'm not sure she even has 5.  After this past week/weekend, she's earned even more 'points' with me.  I skipped one of the scheduled runs last week when my cold was starting to produce coughing and I noted this in the comment.  She wisely didn't schedule any workouts for the rest of the week and told me to let her know when I felt good enough to restart.

I had planned on contacting her Saturday evening but she beat me to the punch.  I told her I'd probably be up for an easy, shorter bike (as not to set off any coughing) and she posted a bike workout that perfectly detailed what I had requested.  After I completed the bike, I added comments about how it went and we discussed the next few workouts and the week.  Easy run tonight.  Easy bike tomorrow.  Stay out of the pool until closer to 100% (was she reading my mind?!  I hate/refuse to swim with snot/cough/congestion), so for her to suggest it on her own was like, WOW!  I told her I am donating blood Wed. am, so keep any workout that day very light.  She said we'll use that day as an off day.  Wow.  I was beyond excited and impressed with her plan! 

Wow! You may have found your magical unicorn coach! Go Coach Kim!

2020-01-13 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fellow Manatees, please consider updating your Dashboard.  Add something personal -- a mantra, a picture, a goal.  Add upcoming events. Add yearly goals. Link to another training log that you may be using.

You can edit your Dashboard by going to your training log and clicking the Edit Dashboard link.

edit dashboard

As you can see, I keep the Manatee Roster on my dashboard. 

And remember, part of being a Manatee is using the BT training log and, well, actually using BT (inspires and so on).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127