Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-10-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Marc, what I want to know is if you are in Miami as planned and how hot is it???

2013-10-22 11:55 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Marc, what I want to know is if you are in Miami as planned and how hot is it???

I am quite displeased with weather forecasts such as "the temp will be 82 but it will really feel like 95."   WTF.  I don't care what it is, only what it feels like.....   Also, 70%+ humidity.  I live in 30-ish.   This will be fun ..... ?

2013-10-22 12:11 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM

I am quite displeased with weather forecasts such as "the temp will be 82 but it will really feel like 95."   WTF.  I don't care what it is, only what it feels like.....   Also, 70%+ humidity.  I live in 30-ish.   This will be fun ..... ?

Feels like we might be getting snow over here.

2013-10-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

not helping

2013-10-22 12:12 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Somewhere in between these two extremes would be nice.  

2013-10-22 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ligersandtions Alright, so I'm probably annoying with my power questions, but I figure a handful of people in here are willing to talk power any chance they're given Is there a "best" (better? worse?) way to set up VO2max workouts? Would it be better to have a bunch of short (1 min?) intervals at 120% versus a few longer (5 min?) intervals at 106%? Is there an optimal amount of time to spend in the VO2max zone during a single workout? What about threshold? 2x20 @ FTP seems to be the bread and butter....but I tend to prefer something like 2-3x12 over/unders because it's more manageable physically and mentally for me. I imagine the optimal time to spend in a given zone is based on what it does for your recovery? More is better until it affects what you have planned for the next day? Is this a trial-and-error kind of thing, or is there a rule of thumb? Feel free to send me over to TP and search through articles if there's something there that I just haven't found yet....
Here's a suggestion. You seem to be very technically competent and willing to try things Download Golden Cheetah version 3 and learn to use the training tab. You can load "Erg files" and ride them. You basically "program" a series of intervals, load them up and press go. We can give you a hand with these if you are interested The GC tells you what power level you are, and what your target is. You can also download erg files for sufferfest videos and it will tell you what power level to try to hit and the power you are at. If your FTP is properly set, you should make it through a video feeling you did a good workout. But what is cool is that you load an erg and it tells you what the TSS will be if you hit the targets, BEFORE you even ride it. If it's a 1hr workout and the TSS is 80, you know it will be a solid workout. There are various sufferfest with various durations. But like I said, you can also program an erg file. So if you want to do this, step 1, download GC, install the Ant+ stick and get GC to read your power levels, learn to use the training tab. We can guide you through this is there is interest on your part or anyone else from this group.

Marc - do you create the erg files directly in GC or do you import them from another program?

2013-10-22 1:47 PM

User image

Sounds similar to the weather in Kona.

My thoughts...arm coolers didn't really help that much in humid weather. Your skin is going to be moist either way and you don't get that much evaporative effect when it's humid. In a hot race with low humidity I think it would work better. There was a thread on ST about arm coolers going into Kona, and most said they wouldn't bother. I think they were right.

I believe Marc was considering a Giro Air Attack helmet a while back. I think it might be a good choice if you're wave starts around 8:30 and you may be on the bike course up close to noon (assuming the weather stays hot and humid). Looking back, I think I regret using an aero helmet at Kona. For Honu it's fine because I'm off the bike before 10:30, but when I was on the bike till almost 2:30 pm, I think I paid a price for that. I would probably still use an aero helmet if I was racing in a late wave at Miami, but knowing I need to be conscious of keeping cool. If I did have a Giro AA or Specialized Evade, I'd probably just use that instead.

Don't ignore the heat. Don't try to simply push through it. Take a few extra seconds to spray yourself down on the bike. Best of luck and I hope you all have a great race.
2013-10-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Sounds similar to the weather in Kona. My thoughts...arm coolers didn't really help that much in humid weather. Your skin is going to be moist either way and you don't get that much evaporative effect when it's humid. In a hot race with low humidity I think it would work better. There was a thread on ST about arm coolers going into Kona, and most said they wouldn't bother. I think they were right. I believe Marc was considering a Giro Air Attack helmet a while back. I think it might be a good choice if you're wave starts around 8:30 and you may be on the bike course up close to noon (assuming the weather stays hot and humid). Looking back, I think I regret using an aero helmet at Kona. For Honu it's fine because I'm off the bike before 10:30, but when I was on the bike till almost 2:30 pm, I think I paid a price for that. I would probably still use an aero helmet if I was racing in a late wave at Miami, but knowing I need to be conscious of keeping cool. If I did have a Giro AA or Specialized Evade, I'd probably just use that instead. Don't ignore the heat. Don't try to simply push through it. Take a few extra seconds to spray yourself down on the bike. Best of luck and I hope you all have a great race.

Thanks for the tips.

At 190#, I don't have much of a choice in "pushing through" heat.  It simply can't be done.  I have the arm coolers and also the cool wing, will have to debate wearing them.  wings probably not as I am sans wetsuit, and they cover the shoulders, requiring a T1 change.  My aero helmet has venting options, so hopefully that will help.  8:07 wave would get me to the end of the bike latest I would think at 11:15-ish? with a  (hopefully):30 swim and a few minutes in T1. 

Dunno, have never done a flat HIM, so no idea what my time will be.  Best HIM bike time is 2:47 at Oceanside this year with 2500 feet + of climbing.  Here I have power/disc wheel/new frame/flat course, so it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.  Likely head/cross wind out, tail/cross wind back

Much as I'd love to go for a sub 5 at this course, it's simply not the right one for me to try that as even with a stellar (for me) bike, the run would be a huge ask. 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-22 2:02 PM
2013-10-22 2:58 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Jason N

Sounds similar to the weather in Kona. My thoughts...arm coolers didn't really help that much in humid weather. Your skin is going to be moist either way and you don't get that much evaporative effect when it's humid. In a hot race with low humidity I think it would work better. There was a thread on ST about arm coolers going into Kona, and most said they wouldn't bother. I think they were right. I believe Marc was considering a Giro Air Attack helmet a while back. I think it might be a good choice if you're wave starts around 8:30 and you may be on the bike course up close to noon (assuming the weather stays hot and humid). Looking back, I think I regret using an aero helmet at Kona. For Honu it's fine because I'm off the bike before 10:30, but when I was on the bike till almost 2:30 pm, I think I paid a price for that. I would probably still use an aero helmet if I was racing in a late wave at Miami, but knowing I need to be conscious of keeping cool. If I did have a Giro AA or Specialized Evade, I'd probably just use that instead. Don't ignore the heat. Don't try to simply push through it. Take a few extra seconds to spray yourself down on the bike. Best of luck and I hope you all have a great race.

Thanks for the tips.

At 190#, I don't have much of a choice in "pushing through" heat.  It simply can't be done.  I have the arm coolers and also the cool wing, will have to debate wearing them.  wings probably not as I am sans wetsuit, and they cover the shoulders, requiring a T1 change.  My aero helmet has venting options, so hopefully that will help.  8:07 wave would get me to the end of the bike latest I would think at 11:15-ish? with a  (hopefully):30 swim and a few minutes in T1. 

Dunno, have never done a flat HIM, so no idea what my time will be.  Best HIM bike time is 2:47 at Oceanside this year with 2500 feet + of climbing.  Here I have power/disc wheel/new frame/flat course, so it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.  Likely head/cross wind out, tail/cross wind back

Much as I'd love to go for a sub 5 at this course, it's simply not the right one for me to try that as even with a stellar (for me) bike, the run would be a huge ask. 

If it makes you feel any better, you've got 35lbs on me and I struggle miserably in the heat.  Come time for winter riding I only need to worry about toes and fingers because the rest of me is always toasty with minimal layers - which is not a lot of help come race time in the middle of summer.

2013-10-22 7:54 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Somewhere in between these two extremes would be nice.  

No snow here, but on my 6am ride this morning the weather was 55 degrees and the humidity was 92%. That is fairly normal this time of year. Around here we get pretty excited about 70% humidity. During the thick of the summer the highs are usually in the mid 90s and the humidity will be in the 85~95% range. Arm coolers do not work in these ranges, but at 70% humidity I actually have found them to make a difference.

2013-10-22 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Do you know what your gearing is in that range? That's a huge jump. For me, a 1 tooth jump is near 5 rpm and 2 tooth is near 10 rpm. You're looking at almost 20 rpm there. Not sure if this is an option, but I have the tightest cassette I could find on the trainer so that about everything is a 1 tooth jump. Also wonder if you're doing something like working in the lower end of the cassette while in the big ring. Going small ring and farther up the cassette might help keep things a bit tighter. Just speculating some ideas there.

Finding the motivation can help a lot too. That's where the Sufferfest vids come in for me. Something to chase and they do move the target around during the intervals. I'll do this on my own to an extent when intervals don't fit to their vids, but it is noticeably more difficult. Although I don't try to ride that early! Is volume a concern for you?

Sounds good for the intervals. I've found 15 x 1' to be challenging if I haven't worked VO2 in awhile, but quickly become easier. From the reading, not sure working harder does any more for developing that, though it can wipe me out more. Would have to extend out the number of intervals, but doesn't sound like that's an option for you. Having a solid warm-up for these matters quite a bit for me.

When you say long rides, what are you doing on them? Maybe point to a couple dates to look at if you're not sure what to say.

I'd have to check which cassette I have on there, but I know the one I have on my race wheels have one tooth jumps in the middle range.  That said, I am riding in the big chain ring on the lower end of the cassette.  I'll try to see if I can find better gearing while staying in the small chain ring.  I feel like my current power output lands me in a place where I'm more crossed up than I'd like on either the big or small chainring.  

For my trainer rides, you can see my rides here: http://www.trainerroad.com/career/ligersandtions  -- 10/20, 10/13, 10/12 all show longer rides that I struggled on...

I have them all loaded into GC, but I don't think there's a way to make those public, and I don't consistently upload to TP since I'm only using the free version.  

2013-10-22 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions Alright, so I'm probably annoying with my power questions, but I figure a handful of people in here are willing to talk power any chance they're given Is there a "best" (better? worse?) way to set up VO2max workouts? Would it be better to have a bunch of short (1 min?) intervals at 120% versus a few longer (5 min?) intervals at 106%? Is there an optimal amount of time to spend in the VO2max zone during a single workout? What about threshold? 2x20 @ FTP seems to be the bread and butter....but I tend to prefer something like 2-3x12 over/unders because it's more manageable physically and mentally for me. I imagine the optimal time to spend in a given zone is based on what it does for your recovery? More is better until it affects what you have planned for the next day? Is this a trial-and-error kind of thing, or is there a rule of thumb? Feel free to send me over to TP and search through articles if there's something there that I just haven't found yet....
Here's a suggestion. You seem to be very technically competent and willing to try things Download Golden Cheetah version 3 and learn to use the training tab. You can load "Erg files" and ride them. You basically "program" a series of intervals, load them up and press go. We can give you a hand with these if you are interested The GC tells you what power level you are, and what your target is. You can also download erg files for sufferfest videos and it will tell you what power level to try to hit and the power you are at. If your FTP is properly set, you should make it through a video feeling you did a good workout. But what is cool is that you load an erg and it tells you what the TSS will be if you hit the targets, BEFORE you even ride it. If it's a 1hr workout and the TSS is 80, you know it will be a solid workout. There are various sufferfest with various durations. But like I said, you can also program an erg file. So if you want to do this, step 1, download GC, install the Ant+ stick and get GC to read your power levels, learn to use the training tab. We can guide you through this is there is interest on your part or anyone else from this group.

I have GC, version 3 -- I've been uploading all my power files to it, but the only things I've really figured out how to do on there are analyze the PMC and quadrant analysis.  

That said, I have been using TrainerRoad, which allows me to create workouts and know what the TSS will be before I do the ride.  If the TSS is too high or too low, I've been adjusting as necessary prior to doing the workout.  That's part of the reason I was asking how to create "good" VO2max and threshold workouts.

TR also has workouts for the Sufferfest videos -- honestly, I feel like the way they have them set up, most of them are harder than most people are capable of if they have their FTP's set correctly.  I tend to "fail" at them most of the time if I ride them on 100% intensity, but it's a good goal to chase.  I can typically finish them at the target powers if I lower the intensity (90-95%).  Curious if the erg files you've been able to download are the same as what TR has...

With regards to learning how to use the training tab, is there a complete GC manual out there somewhere?  I downloaded one off their webpage, but everything past section 3.3 (Views & Sidebar) is like an outline that was never actually completed.  Thought it was weird...

2013-10-23 5:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's hot. 10AM in the sun and you are baking. But I think temps will drop slightly
2013-10-23 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's hot. 10AM in the sun and you are baking. But I think temps will drop slightly

I checked out the run course. it is anything but flat. 4x we cross a bridge, back and forth so there are 8 good climbs...not huge but certainly not flat

With the heat, a bit of wind on the bike, this can be a challenging course.
2013-10-23 12:31 PM

User image

This is one of the big local group roadie rides, the regular Tuesday morning ride, and why I don't ride in big squirrely groups (crash, nothing squeamish though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUF-RwY2rak&feature=youtu.be

Apparently a couple broken bones and 25K of bike damage.  Someone overlapped a wheel

2013-10-23 12:32 PM

User image

I checked out the run course. it is anything but flat. 4x we cross a bridge, back and forth so there are 8 good climbs...not huge but certainly not flat With the heat, a bit of wind on the bike, this can be a challenging course.

Good to know going in.  Looks like temp/humisity are calming down slightly, although not enough to help me

2013-10-23 1:31 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

For my trainer rides, you can see my rides here: http://www.trainerroad.com/career/ligersandtions  -- 10/20, 10/13, 10/12 all show longer rides that I struggled on...

I have them all loaded into GC, but I don't think there's a way to make those public, and I don't consistently upload to TP since I'm only using the free version.  

From looking around a bit, have a couple thoughts. One is to watch your spacing for the workouts. An example is where you tried ISLIAGIATT once the day after a hard VO2 session. That's a big and hard workout (near 2 hr Sufferfest) the day after a very high intensity one. I couldn't have done it either. And generally I try to do something that involves lower intensity the day after VO2, though volume may still go up higher.

Also, you probably won't be able to do all of them at 100%. I tend to do like what Ryan said on the 2 x 20', more like 95% when it's just those two and try to work towards 100% over several workouts. When I get there, then it's likely time to retest. You're not doing 2 x 20', but other workouts with smaller intervals that work at or a bit over threshold. Still take that idea in towards the TR setting as opposed to the IF for the specific interval. Start lower and get the work in. You'll get stronger. If you're actually able to do all of these at 100%, then it might be time to retest.

Watch the design of the workouts too. I usually don't like ones with like 8' work, 4' recovery as often as that's kind of in between threshold & VO2 pattern. Try to find ones with recoveries more like 20-25% of the work session or so. The 10/16 workout would be a good example if the early intervals didn't go so high. I'd use those more to wake things up and then take the later parts stronger. Ethan Allen seems like one I might do more often. The work intervals are big, so the recovery spacing being bigger is less important. Don't worry about killing the sprints they put in. Those ones are only to help wake things up. You're going 100 watts over! Since the longer work interval has been giving you issues, try to find more of the shorter and build up interval duration and/or decrease recovery interval. Should help give you some more practice to build up your confidence, and have another go at them.

Always keep the goal of the workout in mind. It's not to go 100% of whatever the selected profile says every time, but to stress the area you intend. I pick things that are close enough to work with and adjust accordingly. Plenty of times I've skipped sections of a 'Fest vid as all I wanted was the 20' hill in say The Hunted. The other parts are there to use, but if they don't fit the goals of the workout I'll just ride right through or skip past entirely.

2013-10-23 2:37 PM

User image

Had my first ever run in with a car. Nothing serious, but I suppose I was a little lucky. Classic scenario of a car making a right turn into a driveway in front of a cyclist on the shoulder. There was pretty heavy vehicle traffic (stop and go) so I was overtaking on the shoulder. I wasn't going that fast (maybe 12 mph, coasting) but I also had my hands on the top of the handlebars instead of on the brakes, which certainly didn't help.

It happened pretty quick, but luckily I didn't go down. His side mirror hit my left thigh and the mirror snapped off. I also got a small scrape on my forearm, but not sure how. Just going to be a bruise on my leg. Driver was really sorry and so was I. IMO, it was both our fault and internally I blame myself more for not having my hands in a position to slam my brakes. Driver started to make the turn as I was already on the right of his rear bumper, so it's not like I came out of nowhere trying to fly by.

Just glad it wasn't worse. I was able to ride the rest of the way to work with little issue.
2013-10-23 3:22 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N Had my first ever run in with a car. Nothing serious, but I suppose I was a little lucky. Classic scenario of a car making a right turn into a driveway in front of a cyclist on the shoulder. There was pretty heavy vehicle traffic (stop and go) so I was overtaking on the shoulder. I wasn't going that fast (maybe 12 mph, coasting) but I also had my hands on the top of the handlebars instead of on the brakes, which certainly didn't help. It happened pretty quick, but luckily I didn't go down. His side mirror hit my left thigh and the mirror snapped off. I also got a small scrape on my forearm, but not sure how. Just going to be a bruise on my leg. Driver was really sorry and so was I. IMO, it was both our fault and internally I blame myself more for not having my hands in a position to slam my brakes. Driver started to make the turn as I was already on the right of his rear bumper, so it's not like I came out of nowhere trying to fly by. Just glad it wasn't worse. I was able to ride the rest of the way to work with little issue.

Glad to hear that it wasn't worse Jason

2013-10-23 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jason N Had my first ever run in with a car. Nothing serious, but I suppose I was a little lucky. Classic scenario of a car making a right turn into a driveway in front of a cyclist on the shoulder. There was pretty heavy vehicle traffic (stop and go) so I was overtaking on the shoulder. I wasn't going that fast (maybe 12 mph, coasting) but I also had my hands on the top of the handlebars instead of on the brakes, which certainly didn't help. It happened pretty quick, but luckily I didn't go down. His side mirror hit my left thigh and the mirror snapped off. I also got a small scrape on my forearm, but not sure how. Just going to be a bruise on my leg. Driver was really sorry and so was I. IMO, it was both our fault and internally I blame myself more for not having my hands in a position to slam my brakes. Driver started to make the turn as I was already on the right of his rear bumper, so it's not like I came out of nowhere trying to fly by. Just glad it wasn't worse. I was able to ride the rest of the way to work with little issue.

Ouch, glad to hear you are not worse off.

2013-10-23 6:18 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Glad you are ok Jason!!

I packed up my P3 for travel for the first time tonight.  Getting the stem off the steerer tube was an adventure due to how I have the shift cables running.  I was just barely able to get it off after a lot of cursing and head scratching.  Putting it back on is likely to be equally frustrating.  

Flying out at 11:30am tomorrow and getting into Fort Lauderdale at 9pm.

2013-10-23 6:27 PM

User image

see ya there.  bib numbers are up.  I am 1357.   Although not a huge fan of odd numbers, quite happy with this 

2013-10-23 6:32 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

2679 for me.

I assume the letters that go with the waves (ie. the Q-Z in "Age Group M35-39 Male - Q-Z Wave 4") means M35-39 with last names starting with Q-Z??

2013-10-23 7:09 PM

User image

Arend, one thing you may want to try is removing the basebar completely from the stem, then remove the stem off the steerer tube so the stem now becomes completely separate. That way the cables aren't restricting the stem from going on and off the steerer tube. Unless of course your cables are zip tied to the stem...but I suppose you could just cut them, and re zip tie them after.

I had the same issues as you did, but realized it was possible to leave the stem on the steerer tube, and just loosen the front cap of the stem so the basebar and aerobars could point down and lay flat. It barely fits though, and if I had a really long stem, I would have to remove it off the steerer tube.

This was one of the issues I was wondering about the new super bikes. With all the integration of the cables and front ends, I was wondering how easy it was to remove the front end so it could be packed in a box. I suppose it's doable since so many people seem to have super bikes these days and still travel with them.

2013-10-23 7:14 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Well, that's how I did it for my road bike.  The problem is the way I have my BTA cage ziptied on.  There is a plethora of zipties criss crossing across the face plate and I'm scared to cut them....  It's hard to describe without a picture!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.