in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-27 2:18 PM
in reply to: marcag

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Yeah, that run was brutal!  I officially don't want to do any more hot weather races!

I had pretty low expectations for the swim given that I fought a sore shoulder for most of August and September and only the last few weeks was able to get in any time in the pool at all.  I just took it really easy.

Bike was great, felt really easy and power was on target for the most part.  I got stuck in some traffic in the last 10k that made passing difficult .  There was some drafting but I didn't see any big packs - just individuals.

I felt really good starting out on the run but after 5-6k I started overheating.  The #$%^ bridge was brutal too - I had to do some walking up that.

Overall, really happy with the time!

(Chris-Arend.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Chris-Arend.jpg (63KB - 8 downloads)
2013-10-27 2:21 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Regular
LHOTP

Congratulations Gentlemen!  Sounds like you all had an awesome race day--well done )

2013-10-27 3:47 PM
in reply to: switch

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Congrats to the three of you! Sounds like some tough conditions, especially considering none of you train in the hot/humid stuff.
2013-10-27 7:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

My only regret is not meeting Marc. Well done Marc!!

I had dreams of going sub 5 here, but seeing what arend had to run at mt tremblant, I was pretty sure I wasn't there yet. And although it was not "hot" for here, it was hot for this California boy

swim - I didn't know until after the race what my time was. Didn't wear a watch and couldn't see the clock Happy with it, first no wetsuit tri. Done plenty of pure no wetsuit swim races. Decided to take an outside line once we hit prior waves so navigation was so so. Just settled in and swam my typical HIM pace. Felt great coming out.

bike went really well. Stayed within my power (with one or two exceptions ) and was happy to hit the turnaround sub 1:15 as I knew the return was a bit faster. Passed a ton. Got passed by a few. Actually increased my AG placing on the bike, a rarity

run. Knew with a 2:26ish bike maybe sub 5 back on the table. But by mile 3 knew that was not happening. The bridges were TOUGH. and it was HOT. I reevaluated on the fly since I knew my run was a 2 plus affair, and I wouldn't be holding the paces Shane gave me. If he had, would have been sub. 5 I think. The new plan was to run at a pace that would let me run the entire thing-including all four bridge climbs- and not walking except for aid stations. I wanted to walk SO badly miles 8 to 11, but didn't. I am VERY proud of this run though, as it proved to me I have heart. Once we hit 11 I knew I wasn't walking.

I've always liked races more where I just barely miss my goal. Like this one. Tells me my goals were aggressive but reasonable. I think I need another year of run training before I can actually start racing the run, rather than surviving.

2013-10-27 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4768732

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-27 8:40 PM
in reply to: TSimone

Pro
NJ

Congrats on some great racing today! Those were some smoking fast times in spite of the weather. The good news is that heat and humidity rarely have an adverse effect on enjoyment of cold beverages while lounging by the ocean/pool/cruise deck. Enjoy! 

2013-10-28 2:57 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

My only regret is not meeting Marc. Well done Marc!!

I had dreams of going sub 5 here, but seeing what arend had to run at mt tremblant, I was pretty sure I wasn't there yet. And although it was not "hot" for here, it was hot for this California boy

swim - I didn't know until after the race what my time was. Didn't wear a watch and couldn't see the clock Happy with it, first no wetsuit tri. Done plenty of pure no wetsuit swim races. Decided to take an outside line once we hit prior waves so navigation was so so. Just settled in and swam my typical HIM pace. Felt great coming out.

bike went really well. Stayed within my power (with one or two exceptions ) and was happy to hit the turnaround sub 1:15 as I knew the return was a bit faster. Passed a ton. Got passed by a few. Actually increased my AG placing on the bike, a rarity

run. Knew with a 2:26ish bike maybe sub 5 back on the table. But by mile 3 knew that was not happening. The bridges were TOUGH. and it was HOT. I reevaluated on the fly since I knew my run was a 2 plus affair, and I wouldn't be holding the paces Shane gave me. If he had, would have been sub. 5 I think. The new plan was to run at a pace that would let me run the entire thing-including all four bridge climbs- and not walking except for aid stations. I wanted to walk SO badly miles 8 to 11, but didn't. I am VERY proud of this run though, as it proved to me I have heart. Once we hit 11 I knew I wasn't walking.

I've always liked races more where I just barely miss my goal. Like this one. Tells me my goals were aggressive but reasonable. I think I need another year of run training before I can actually start racing the run, rather than surviving.

Ya, definitely sucks we didn't get to meet. Pre-race I ended up seeing Arend in the lobby of our hotel.
Post race I went straight to the med tent to check my blood sugar levels (diabetic) and stayed there a while, although all was good. The doc was a little over zealous.

Before a race I am a nervous mess. I really don't like racing.

For me the race was similar to yours.

I was very happy with the swim because while not fast, I was 1 min faster than Vegas but mostly I wasn't gased. I plan to continue swimming a lot. I was doing way more yardage in the last 6 weeks.

Bike was disappointing to see the pelotons, especially the older guys doing it. I will not race flat courses anymore, although at my weight they probably suit me.

Coming to the run, the bike made me mad and I wanted to run people down but held back. I did not want to walk. I kept my HR in check and never really looked at my pace. I had an alert every 5km, but I ignored it and went by HR. But I was sure I was going to walk the last bridge climb.
My 2 halfs of the run are very even so I guess I paced it properly. But that last 3 miles hurt :-)

I worked the last 3 miles pretty hard. I have a feeling that squeezed me under 4h45 at 4h44m12.

Only mistake was a wrong turn on the bike and I ended up going the wrong way and lost some time there.

The more I do this sport the more I realize you really need the balance of the 3 sports. I plan to work my swim and figure out my bike, But first I need to heel my achilles, I don't think it appreciated that run

Edited by marcag 2013-10-28 3:19 AM
2013-10-28 5:33 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Marc, when I grow up I want to run like you!    Did you get a Mont Tremblant slot with that placing?

I'm impressed that the two of you didn't walk the bridge at all.  I probably would have had a better run split if I eased off a bit and done the same.

I forgot to mention the total rookie mistake I made.  We went down to the transition area around 6am to setup all my stuff, get body marked etc.  Our hotel was about a 5 min walk from the site and my wave wasn't until 8:47 so we went back to the hotel for breakfast and to relax a bit.  At about 7:15 while I was putting sunscreen on it suddenly hit me that I hadn't put any socks with my run shoes and transition closed at 7:00!  I've done zero sockless running this year so that would have been a guaranteed blister.  My backup plan was to put the socks in a plastic baggie and put one in each pocket of my trisuit and take them out after the swim.  I told my wife to yell "socks" at me as I ran to T1.    The baggies didn't keep them dry though - soaked right through.  I just put them on the bike rack (I was on an end) and hoped they would be mostly dry by the time I got back - which they were.

2013-10-28 5:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Marc, when I grow up I want to run like you!    Did you get a Mont Tremblant slot with that placing?

I'm impressed that the two of you didn't walk the bridge at all.  I probably would have had a better run split if I eased off a bit and done the same.

I forgot to mention the total rookie mistake I made.  We went down to the transition area around 6am to setup all my stuff, get body marked etc.  Our hotel was about a 5 min walk from the site and my wave wasn't until 8:47 so we went back to the hotel for breakfast and to relax a bit.  At about 7:15 while I was putting sunscreen on it suddenly hit me that I hadn't put any socks with my run shoes and transition closed at 7:00!  I've done zero sockless running this year so that would have been a guaranteed blister.  My backup plan was to put the socks in a plastic baggie and put one in each pocket of my trisuit and take them out after the swim.  I told my wife to yell "socks" at me as I ran to T1.    The baggies didn't keep them dry though - soaked right through.  I just put them on the bike rack (I was on an end) and hoped they would be mostly dry by the time I got back - which they were.

Ha! And I want to be a fishie, just like you. Just keep on running with that consistency and it will continue to improve. A suggestion...run open 1/2 and 10km to track your progress and see the delta between your open and tri run times

Yes I got a slot. This makes me happy since I don't have to qualify next summer. I am toying with how I will train next year but I suspect it will be quite different than this year. We will see. I have to do some thinking.

What makes my happiest is my wife wants to buy a bike. She is sooooooo not into sports although she is incredibly healthy. She walks the dog 1.5 hrs/day and eats really well but 0 sport inclination. The race kind of energized her. She told me she wasn't going to spectate but sure enough watched every person that finished between 5 and 7 hours. When she didn't see me she went to the med tent thinking I was there.

I did my RR since I couldn't sleep.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I am sore everywhere. I have friction burns in all the wrong places and my achilles is not in good shape.

Wanna go for a jog ?

2013-10-28 9:09 AM

Master
Englewood, Florida

Really good showing, all 3 of you! Congratulations on working through the hot and humid that may not be what you are used to!

2013-10-28 9:14 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cdban66

Really good showing, all 3 of you! Congratulations on working through the hot and humid that may not be what you are used to!

Thanks Chris,

FYI, I checked this run against Mt-Tremblant which is in cooler weather.

For similar pace on an easier course, my HR was about 6-7 beats higher yesterday and my HR on the run is very predictable.

While HR is a variable thing, I would say this is 98% due to temperature differences.
2013-10-28 10:19 AM

Elite
Ontario

Nice job guys - really well done for all of you.

Marc, a couple of specific questions for you since you're RR is already up.  Why/what do you think you need to change about your bike training?  I've always thought it was pretty solid.  Secondly, calories - you really rebuff the idea of "x" calories per hour on the bike/run, and perform well at a lower amount.  I'm just wondering your thoughts on how you fuel (through necessity) vs how most fuel.

2013-10-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Guilford, CT
Well done guys! Going to have to read some race reports now and catch-up when I get a chance.
The only thing I saw come through Strava was Arend's stuff earlier with a fast looking bike split.

Big weekend racing it seems with marathons as well for some guys locally. I'm getting inspired to train for something specific soon.
2013-10-28 10:59 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I got my race report done.  I wanted to get it done before the cruise as I'll be offline all week.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=504223

I think I got everything in there that I wanted to but it was thrown together a bit quickly.

2013-10-28 11:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Marc, a couple of specific questions for you since you're RR is already up.  Why/what do you think you need to change about your bike training?  I've always thought it was pretty solid.  Secondly, calories - you really rebuff the idea of "x" calories per hour on the bike/run, and perform well at a lower amount.  I'm just wondering your thoughts on how you fuel (through necessity) vs how most fuel.

On the bike, I feel I have a reasonable FTP, but I am not sure I can hold a hard pace for a long enough time. Almost like if someone was a good 5k runner, but not completely prepared for a marathon. I think a big part of it is confidence as well. More 4+ hour rides is what I think I need to gain that confidence. Fred mentionned once "I have learned to suffer on the bike". I have not learned that yet. I think Ben has mastered it :-)

Calories. For me it's out of necessity. As a diabetic I cannot take too many. That number I quoted at the end of my report is getting close to the maximum I can be at and remain safe. I put calories in there for my own records and I check them. I have reached my limit.

I believe most people fuel too much. I think most get away with it but when extreme fatigue sets in and you have taken too many calories on that's when the upset stomachs start occurring. A friend that James and Fred met at Tremblant is has been Ultraman world champion runner up a few times. He explained that he used to have GI issues and in order to figure them out decided to do an IM without calories. He bonked (of course) but he figured out what the minimum was and went from there.
2013-10-28 11:36 AM

Great job guys. Solid performances all around. Two PRs and a 70.3 WC slot...expectations are a little high in this group.

2013-10-28 11:48 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Great job guys. Solid performances all around. Two PRs and a 70.3 WC slot...expectations are a little high in this group.

Thanks Jason.

We are just drawing a line in the sand should team USA want to challenge Canada.
2013-10-28 12:23 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N Great job guys. Solid performances all around. Two PRs and a 70.3 WC slot...expectations are a little high in this group.
Thanks Jason. We are just drawing a line in the sand should team USA want to challenge Canada.

Still putting things together for next year, but don't think I'm traveling very far.

2013-10-28 1:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

On the bike, I feel I have a reasonable FTP, but I am not sure I can hold a hard pace for a long enough time. Almost like if someone was a good 5k runner, but not completely prepared for a marathon. I think a big part of it is confidence as well. More 4+ hour rides is what I think I need to gain that confidence. Fred mentionned once "I have learned to suffer on the bike". I have not learned that yet. I think Ben has mastered it :-)

Still wonder about you guys hitting 117% or whatever for your intervals. I can't do that repeatedly, but do seem to do ok going a little lower and more of it. trying to get that higher effort back, will see what I've learned in the past year.

I believe most people fuel too much. I think most get away with it but when extreme fatigue sets in and you have taken too many calories on that's when the upset stomachs start occurring. A friend that James and Fred met at Tremblant is has been Ultraman world champion runner up a few times. He explained that he used to have GI issues and in order to figure them out decided to do an IM without calories. He bonked (of course) but he figured out what the minimum was and went from there.

I think somewhere along those lines, but a little different in that many seem to depend too much on their fueling. It should help some, but would be better of learning how to stay out of their own way.

2013-10-28 1:46 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by brigby1

Still wonder about you guys hitting 117% or whatever for your intervals. I can't do that repeatedly, but do seem to do ok going a little lower and more of it. trying to get that higher effort back, will see what I've learned in the past year.

I think somewhere along those lines, but a little different in that many seem to depend too much on their fueling. It should help some, but would be better of learning how to stay out of their own way.

So to keep this going a little bit - what are you typcially aiming for calorie wise at the HIM level?  At a 130 cals/hour, Marc is about 2.5 times lower than what many would "recommend".  I know size will play a factor, but I'm just curious overall.

2013-10-28 6:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

So to keep this going a little bit - what are you typcially aiming for calorie wise at the HIM level?  At a 130 cals/hour, Marc is about 2.5 times lower than what many would "recommend".  I know size will play a factor, but I'm just curious overall.

Probably not more than 200. Don't think I ever get in quite as much as I have available for a race this length. A big eye-opener was this ride a couple years ago. Just a little food beforehand and nothing but water on the ride. Kind of forgot it back in the car.  Also know that my level of fitness was probably closer to where say Chris is at than what I can do now. Power stayed fairly consistent and strong throughout the day going up the hills. The spiky nature of this one would make it more likely to burn off the type of energy we try to replace with the food as well.

2013-10-28 8:40 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Pro
NJ

Probably not more than 200. Don't think I ever get in quite as much as I have available for a race this length. A big eye-opener was this ride a couple years ago. Just a little food beforehand and nothing but water on the ride. Kind of forgot it back in the car.  Also know that my level of fitness was probably closer to where say Chris is at than what I can do now. Power stayed fairly consistent and strong throughout the day going up the hills. The spiky nature of this one would make it more likely to burn off the type of energy we try to replace with the food as well.

Interesting discussion. I know that my tendency is to over fuel on the bike but i can't even fathom doing that ride on just water. I would have been foraging for berries or dumpster diving.
2013-10-28 9:12 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kcarroll
Interesting discussion. I know that my tendency is to over fuel on the bike but i can't even fathom doing that ride on just water. I would have been foraging for berries or dumpster diving.

I never bring calories on a workout unless I am testing nutrition. Maybe a bottle of G2 on a 3-4 hour ride but that's it. All water and salt sticks.

I fuel on the thought of my post ride/race beer, or two or......
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.