Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-10-30 12:26 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by GoFaster
I'm guessing this will be a refurb, but don't know for sure.

Yes it will.

All replacement units are refurbs. Been to the service center more times than I prefer to remember and discussed this with them a few times

2013-10-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by ligersandtions If you're not set on New Orleans (though with your friend already committed to it, it may be worth it), you could consider Galveston 70.3 in TX. It's also in April, also wetsuit legal (in a harbor, so ocean swim as well) and completely flat. April can be windy, but the way the course it set up, it's pretty much a cross wind the entire time, from what I've seen and experienced. And the long road you ride on is actually quite nice, imo. And if previous years have proven anything, the first real day of summer is always IMTX, which is about a month and a half after Galveston, so you should be looking at fairly cool weather (that's not overly humid). If I weren't racing St. George 70.3 in May, I would have strongly considered Galveston in April.

Thanks for the info, I am a little concerned about NO, but part of the "deal," as it were, would be to sell the race to my wife for a weekend destination.   No offense to Galveston, but NO holds the edge in that competition. 

Hah, I live 30 minutes north of there and have zero desire to go there! I don't get the draw at all, but it seems that every person in Houston goes down there every weekend in the summer. NO would definitely win that competition
2013-10-30 2:50 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by GoFaster I'm guessing this will be a refurb, but don't know for sure.
Yes it will. All replacement units are refurbs. Been to the service center more times than I prefer to remember and discussed this with them a few times

Wish I could visit the service center.  They're telling me it'll take 2 weeks to send me a replacement.

2013-10-30 2:53 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Curious about the groups' thoughts on this bottle, and the claims of the science behind it (or is it just voodoo)  Considering three of you just raced in very hot conditions, figured it was a good time to post the question.  I know Rapp had mused about it following Kona.

http://www.floebottle.com/

2013-10-30 2:58 PM

User image

Curious about the groups' thoughts on this bottle, and the claims of the science behind it (or is it just voodoo)  Considering three of you just raced in very hot conditions, figured it was a good time to post the question.  I know Rapp had mused about it following Kona.

Man that's tempting. I don't care if it actually "works" or not...I may get one of those simply so I can stop at 7-11 and fill it up with a slurpee during training rides.
2013-10-30 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by GoFaster I'm guessing this will be a refurb, but don't know for sure.
Yes it will. All replacement units are refurbs. Been to the service center more times than I prefer to remember and discussed this with them a few times

Wish I could visit the service center.  They're telling me it'll take 2 weeks to send me a replacement.

I have brought a FR60, FR70, Edge 500 and 310xt. Everytime it took 5 minutes.
2 weeks seems strange but I guess it's the shipping and administration. I suspect it will take less time than that

They explained to me that they do 0 repair or diagnostics there. They replace it and ship the defective one to Garmin
Garmin takes the defective one and salvages any parts they can to make more replacement/refurbs.
So for example when the strap of my FR60 broke, or the mount of the Edge 500 broke, they salvaged the electronics, put them in a new case, and shipped them out as potential replacement units.

2013-10-30 3:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-30 3:21 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-30 3:50 PM

I'm also a loyal Garmin customer. The "wings" from the quarter turn mount broke off my 500. It was a known issue, but I was outside my 1 year warranty. They replaced it for $50 and the total time it took from me shipping my unit and getting a refurb one was about 7-8 business days (to Hawaii). I think they quoted around 2 weeks as well but it was a little faster than that. Not sure if there is a customs issue if sending from Canada to the US and back?

And on a side note, when I ordered a 500 for my GF, I ordered it on 8/1, and only then I realized there was a $50 rebate on 500's for the month of July. I sent in my paperwork anyway, not hiding at all that my purchase date was on 8/1...and they sent me my rebate anyway.
2013-10-30 7:27 PM

Thanks for the info, I am a little concerned about NO, but part of the "deal," as it were, would be to sell the race to my wife for a weekend destination.   No offense to Galveston, but NO holds the edge in that competition. 

Probably not suitable for just a weekend destination, but maybe plant the seeds for 2015 or 2016 that Honu might be a cool race to do.
2013-10-30 8:41 PM

Master
Northern IL

Probably not going to do the 1 hr thing any higher than the comfortably hard from today for some time as it doesn't fit into the scheme, but still managed an even 300 for it. Had some more planned on top of it, but having some other issues that need to be worked on. Think some different durations and intensities will address it better.

2013-10-30 9:06 PM

Master
, California

I have another insulated bottle that's roughly the same design - outer bottle w/ inner bladder.  It never stays cold for long.

I'm surprised none of these products are built more like a thermos.  Heat transfer was figured out ages ago: conduction, convection and radiation.  The inner bladder only solves one of them (conduction).

2013-10-30 9:32 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Probably not going to do the 1 hr thing any higher than the comfortably hard from today for some time as it doesn't fit into the scheme, but still managed an even 300 for it. Had some more planned on top of it, but having some other issues that need to be worked on. Think some different durations and intensities will address it better.

Give me a few more weeks and I'll shoot for max power on a 20ish minute climb. I'll shoot for around 300, but no way I'm doing that for an hour...especially if it's on the flats or worse on the trainer.

I've been thinking of some training related milestones to go for next year. Thinking about trying to ride 15k miles and climb 1 million feet. 15k miles comes out to around 290 miles a week. Not too bad if I continue to ride around 35-40 miles every M-F including my commute and 100-120 total miles on the weekend. The climbing part would be really tough. That's almost 20k feet a week and I can't get that much elevation gain unless I seek out the steep hills.

I'd probably end up being happy with 12k miles and 500k feet climbing...but 1 million sounds so much better.
2013-10-30 9:48 PM
in reply to: Jason N

2013-10-30 11:29 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N
Originally posted by brigby1

Give me a few more weeks and I'll shoot for max power on a 20ish minute climb. I'll shoot for around 300, but no way I'm doing that for an hour...especially if it's on the flats or worse on the trainer. I've been thinking of some training related milestones to go for next year. Thinking about trying to ride 15k miles and climb 1 million feet. 15k miles comes out to around 290 miles a week. Not too bad if I continue to ride around 35-40 miles every M-F including my commute and 100-120 total miles on the weekend. The climbing part would be really tough. That's almost 20k feet a week and I can't get that much elevation gain unless I seek out the steep hills. I'd probably end up being happy with 12k miles and 500k feet climbing...but 1 million sounds so much better.

I'd probably need like 300,000 miles to get that kind of elevation locally!

2013-10-31 11:34 AM

2013-11-01 8:16 AM

Elite
Ontario

Wanted to run over 200km this month, but since I needed to back off things last week, I missed that goal and came in at 197km.  Still makes that my biggest run month ever, so I'm happy with that.  Now I just need to reintroduce swimming and biking...

2013-11-01 9:30 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I have not been able to post a message from my desktop for the last couple weeks due to the text editor or something.  Today it suddenly worked.  I have been following along though.

Great job to you guys in Miami, impressive for all 3 of you.

I am now a proud owner of a Powertap and hopefully today I will hit 10K of swimming this week!!  Get to test on the bike next week and see where I am at with FTP using real power and not TR virtual power...should be humbling!!

Plan this winter is swim and bike ALOT, and maintain run with fewer but more intense run sessions.

2013-11-01 9:39 AM
in reply to: rymac

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rymac

Plan this winter is swim and bike ALOT, and maintain run with fewer but more intense run sessions.

Not that different from what I've been doing.

2013-11-01 10:30 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
So I ran into a friend last weekend and she was bragging on Performance Bikes customer service. She said that her 10 year old trainer had finally worn out and she was impressed that they exchanged it free of charge with no questions asked. I asked her what was wrong with it and she said that the drum had worn out, then showed me a picture:

Jenn's Trainer

I couldn't believe it, and went so far as to suggest that it wasn't Performance's excellent customer service that caused them to exchange it, but rather the fact that they wanted to put that sucker in a hall of fame museum somewhere. If it were mine I would never have given it up, and instead probably have it gold plated and displayed on my fireplace mantle. I asked her how many miles she thought were on it, and she honestly had no idea. She doesn't log miles or even use a bike computer, HRM, powermeter, etc, but she is absolutely MURDEROUS on group rides.....

2013-11-01 11:06 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

What type of trainer is that? Don't think mine is showing anything yet!

2013-11-01 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

Oh my god Rusty, that's so many levels of awesome....

In other news.....  GOT INTO SOS!!!!    

Schedule for 2014, assuming work doesn't muck it up

Wildflower (probably Oly)
Escape from Alcatraz
SOS
Silverman.......

Still looking at NOLA 70.3 for a spring race.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-01 11:08 AM
2013-11-01 11:13 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Elite
Ontario

That is as bada$$ as you can get on a trainer.  I might print this and put it in my basement for the next time I'm considering bagging a workout.

2013-11-01 11:21 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by rymac

I have not been able to post a message from my desktop for the last couple weeks due to the text editor or something.  Today it suddenly worked.  I have been following along though.

Great job to you guys in Miami, impressive for all 3 of you.

I am now a proud owner of a Powertap and hopefully today I will hit 10K of swimming this week!!  Get to test on the bike next week and see where I am at with FTP using real power and not TR virtual power...should be humbling!!

I feel like we might be twins or something....

My text editor also wasn't working for a while. I found that if I took off the rich text and went to plain text only, it would work. Weird, but maybe I should check if I go back if it will start working now.

I also hit 10k of swimming this week with this morning's workout. Nice work

And I also recently switched from Virtual Power to real power. My suggestion for you would be to do your power test with Virtual Power, but with actual power recording on your head unit. For me, at least, my Virtual Power was 20-25W higher than my actual power, so I would have absolutely bonked if I went out and tried to chase that number on my power meter. After I got it all set up, I switched from Virtual Power to real power on TR (and reset all my bests).

And finally, I plan to do a lot of winter swim and bike training....but no intense runs. Not yet....just getting back into running. So I guess we're not quite twins
2013-11-01 11:23 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Oh my god Rusty, that's so many levels of awesome....

In other news.....  GOT INTO SOS!!!!    

Schedule for 2014, assuming work doesn't muck it up

Wildflower (probably Oly)
Escape from Alcatraz
SOS
Silverman.......

Still looking at NOLA 70.3 for a spring race.

Congrats!! I feel like you should buy a lotto ticket or something

Looking forward to following along with your race season next year. Wildflower and Escape from Alcatraz are on my short list of potential races for 2015.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.