of 149

2013-11-02 3:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by brigby1

Florida seems to be very fast today. Starky rode 4:02:17, finished in ~7:55:20, and didn't win. Not familiar with the guy who did. Took the lead ~24.5 on the run.

2:37:29 marathon for the winner.  Sick.

ya.....no matter what the bike split is, the runner wins :-)

Edited by marcag 2013-11-02 3:52 PM

2013-11-02 7:36 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-11-02 8:48 PM

Crazy. If a bunch of guys were running in the 2:44-2:50 range, then that would make you think that Starky's 2:58 was a poor run. But only 2 guys went under 2:50 (2:37 and 2:41) so it seems like Starky just ran into a buzz saw. Who the heck is this guy that won? I can't imagine that the top runners we are familiar with (Jacobs, healthy Raelert, and Crowie in his prime) would have been able to run any faster than 2:37 today.
2013-11-03 5:50 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Crazy. If a bunch of guys were running in the 2:44-2:50 range, then that would make you think that Starky's 2:58 was a poor run. But only 2 guys went under 2:50 (2:37 and 2:41) so it seems like Starky just ran into a buzz saw. Who the heck is this guy that won? I can't imagine that the top runners we are familiar with (Jacobs, healthy Raelert, and Crowie in his prime) would have been able to run any faster than 2:37 today.

He seems to have a very mixed background

MTBiking, then duathlonn then tri, but has mostly been racing in Europe and does everything from HM, to Xterra.
He did win IM Lanzarote which is supposedly really tough.
2013-11-03 5:56 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D
Or a 'Yogism' might be better said is that the fastest person wins'....

Ya, I was kidding...he gives hope to the aqua and velo challenged people.

I can't believe what a stink the princess racing created.
2013-11-03 6:08 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-11-03 9:54 AM

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Fred D Or a 'Yogism' might be better said is that the fastest person wins'....
Ya, I was kidding...he gives hope to the aqua and velo challenged people.I can't believe what a stink the princess racing created.
. Agree. I thought too much was made out of that myself. One of the hardest things for people to do is withhold judgment. I'm not arguing the prince is a hood guy, but I highly suspect some of the other folks racing IM aren't all angels either.
I know this is SBR utopia, and not getting into the politics, if it's true what people are saying on ST about how WTC allowed his entourage to take up the course, it's a shameful representation by that organization. They just keep doing things to step on their you know whats. But I keep signing up for their races.
2013-11-03 10:55 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D Or a 'Yogism' might be better said is that the fastest person wins'....
Ya, I was kidding...he gives hope to the aqua and velo challenged people.I can't believe what a stink the princess racing created.
. Agree. I thought too much was made out of that myself. One of the hardest things for people to do is withhold judgment. I'm not arguing the prince is a hood guy, but I highly suspect some of the other folks racing IM aren't all angels either.

Heh I saw one of the ruder comments on that thread about Bahrain being "a bunch of poor desert people" before the oil, and all I could think of was this...

Edited by spudone 2013-11-03 10:55 AM
2013-11-03 4:03 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM
But I keep signing up for their races.

is it my imagination or is Rev 3 losing some of the momentum it built up ? it seems WTC is stronger than ever.
2013-11-03 4:28 PM

Originally posted by ChrisM But I keep signing up for their races.
is it my imagination or is Rev 3 losing some of the momentum it built up ? it seems WTC is stronger than ever.

I don't really know, we don't have any Rev races around me.   The independents we do have local seem to be surviving somewhat, but not getting bigger.   I agree WTC is powerful

2013-11-03 4:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
, California

I don't really know, we don't have any Rev races around me.   The independents we do have local seem to be surviving somewhat, but not getting bigger.   I agree WTC is powerful

I was hoping to do the Rev Portland 70.3 but they canned it for 2013 due to some road project that they couldn't work around or didn't want to.  Looks like it'll be up for next year:

http://rev3tri.com/portland/sign-up/registration/

Jordan Rapp called the bike course "brutally hard":

http://blog.rappstar.com/2012/07/deja-vu-all-over-again.html

2013-11-03 5:43 PM
in reply to: spudone

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by spudone

I was hoping to do the Rev Portland 70.3 but they canned it for 2013 due to some road project that they couldn't work around or didn't want to.  Looks like it'll be up for next year:

Have they announced a date? The page you linked shows "Summer 2014", but I'm not sure if that's June or September...

I'd also like to do the race and would be willing to travel (though there's a slight possibility that I'll be back in WA next year, which would alleviate the need to travel far).
2013-11-03 9:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions
Originally posted by spudone

Have they announced a date? The page you linked shows "Summer 2014", but I'm not sure if that's June or September... I'd also like to do the race and would be willing to travel (though there's a slight possibility that I'll be back in WA next year, which would alleviate the need to travel far).

Where did that link come from? I don't think they're actually having it this year, trying to remember from a post by Rev3 on ST, but pretty sure they decided not to. They've taken it off the map & event listing. Not sure if I would have done the event, but hate to see that happening. Seemed like it was being more trouble than it was worth.

I don't think the notion of WTC being rather powerful right now is inaccurate. They did just go through two championships, had added several new races for next year in much desired locations (Boulder & Choo), and had gone through several new ones this year (Tahoe & Whistler). The full distance also seems to draw much more attention than HIMs do, so it would be disappointing for them if they didn't have a lot with all that going on. Rev3 certainly has their work cut out for them. Hoping that some of their new races will help increase their market. I wonder how the Branson and Poconos additions will continue to do. They *should* be good events as they really fit the Rev3 style, but they'll have to work through a good deal of negativity from when IM had the races. Plus they'll also have to work in what seems to be the most competitive time of the year in September. There seems to be races out the wazoo that time of year. USAT certainly didn't do them any favors with the scheduling of Nationals on the Dells race. Rev3 actually checked with them on the date, but something either got mixed up or they were ignored. It does seem like a number of the pros are catching on to the Rev3 races. Not necessarily the fastest ones, but still rather good and in the 2nd & 3rd tier range. Still, I think they need the age group numbers to keep growing.

Edited by brigby1 2013-11-03 9:15 PM
2013-11-03 9:18 PM

Master
Northern IL

Was the double "s" intentional? Slightly different meaning. 

2013-11-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
, California

Rev3 has almost zero west coast presence so it'll be disappointing if they pull back and stop doing the Portland race.  I haven't heard any recent news about it.

2013-11-04 7:19 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by acumenjay

Anyone know why Strava seems to dump laps when it's a trainer ride? Rather annoying.

It's lame. I looked into it and have submitted an enhancement request for time based intervals on it. Pretty sure a lot of people complain about it so throw your hat in there and eventually they will add it. They seem to be adding a lot of things. They have the data, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code. Otherwise you have to highlight the little line for the duration you want and it'll show you the average. They also record the 'laps'...really miles logged on the trainer and you can click on each (it's at the top of the overview line graph they give you in little grey rectangles) but it isn't easy to manipulate that screen....I've just been lapping it on my joule even if I do trainer road. At least I can see it.

Yeah, they do have the data. The laps show when I have it as a normal ride, in with the Segments section. This whole section is cut off when I check Stationary Ride.

Got a response on this from Strava. They don't currently show the lap info, but there is a beta version in the works that will once they release it to the public. The tech support guy I talked to was able to see the info using it.

2013-11-04 9:02 AM

Elite
Ontario

I wonder if Challenge will really make a push into the N. American market over the next couple of years or if they'll be relegated to a few select races.

2013-11-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I have been in the sport since 2008 and have not done a WTC race.

I did Racine & Muncie before WTC bought them.  Racine was $99 and Muncie $149 I think for the HIM.

I may do Steelhead this year which would be my 1st but only for convenience, as it is close and a race I have not done yet.  I would also have free lodging with a friend their.

I suppose if I chose to do IM distance, I would likely go with an Ironman brand race for my 1st.  Racing for that long, it would be nice to race with lots of other people around and the finish line speaks for itself.  The non-branded (other than maybe Challenge) are not the same in that regard it seems.

2013-11-04 11:30 AM
in reply to: rymac

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by rymac

I did Racine & Muncie before WTC bought them.  Racine was $99 and Muncie $149 I think for the HIM.

I may do Steelhead this year which would be my 1st but only for convenience, as it is close and a race I have not done yet.  I would also have free lodging with a friend their.

I suppose if I chose to do IM distance, I would likely go with an Ironman brand race for my 1st.  Racing for that long, it would be nice to race with lots of other people around and the finish line speaks for itself.  The non-branded (other than maybe Challenge) are not the same in that regard it seems.

Agreed.  I did Racine a couple times before it got bought out.   It was nice having a great venue at a "cheap" price.  But I must say, once it became a WTC event the "vibe" got a little more attractive to me and when I qualified for 70.3 Worlds there the entry fee increase was more palatable...although it still is a LOT of money.

2013-11-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
Northern IL
2013-11-04 12:38 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
So I think I'm injured again....really frustrated to feel so freaking fragile when it comes to running.

I'm almost positive that this "injury" is part of my original knee injury. My left hamstring seems to be doing something weird -- it's almost like the two muscles, where they come together down near my knee, are "sticky" and trying to seize up and cramp together or something. There's also a sort of popping feeling (on the left side, I think), like the muscle/tendon is popping back and forth over one another.

This happened back in April when I attempted running....I stopped for five months, but it's come back, so I don't think "rest" is the answer. I think there's some underlying issue -- knee is still injured and/or I do something inherently wrong when I run.

I feel like I've been pretty smart about my run build. I started out at 10 minutes per run, five days a week (so 50 minutes/week) and over 12 weeks have worked my way up to about 120 minutes/week. Things had actually been feeling fine (and I had noticed some decent progress) until last Wednesday, when my hamstring started doing this thing.

I went to my chiropractor who does ART for me, have been doing body weight strengthening stuff, and lots of stretching and foam rolling. I really feel like this wasn't a "too much, too soon" thing, but I still seem to have landed myself with an injury.

Really frustrating -- trying to be smart, but I want to be dumb and just run through it. Ugh....just needed to vent.

2013-11-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Bummer Nicole. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you to get back on track but it seems like your issues are much more complicated than I would ever know about. Just glad you are at least smart enough to catch it early and hopefully figure something out before it gets any worse.
2013-11-04 3:31 PM

Master
Guilford, CT

Originally posted by acumenjay

Anyone know why Strava seems to dump laps when it's a trainer ride? Rather annoying.

It's lame. I looked into it and have submitted an enhancement request for time based intervals on it. Pretty sure a lot of people complain about it so throw your hat in there and eventually they will add it. They seem to be adding a lot of things. They have the data, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code. Otherwise you have to highlight the little line for the duration you want and it'll show you the average. They also record the 'laps'...really miles logged on the trainer and you can click on each (it's at the top of the overview line graph they give you in little grey rectangles) but it isn't easy to manipulate that screen....I've just been lapping it on my joule even if I do trainer road. At least I can see it.

Yeah, they do have the data. The laps show when I have it as a normal ride, in with the Segments section. This whole section is cut off when I check Stationary Ride.

Got a response on this from Strava. They don't currently show the lap info, but there is a beta version in the works that will once they release it to the public. The tech support guy I talked to was able to see the info using it.

Good to hear. I gave them some additional feedback as a premium user too. They added Sufferfest videos streaming as I'm sure you know, but it is sort of just a novelty. I told them anyone really training indoors is probably going to have it attached to trainer road or golden cheetah since Strava does nothing but stream the video. With some development effort they can really become a one stop shop.
2013-11-04 5:29 PM

Extreme Veteran

Swim Meet

Nice !!

I am not sure what AG you are in but you are dangerously close to qualifying for World Masters champs in Montreal this summer

http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&i...
2013-11-04 6:10 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

So I think I'm injured again....really frustrated to feel so freaking fragile when it comes to running.

I'm almost positive that this "injury" is part of my original knee injury. My left hamstring seems to be doing something weird -- it's almost like the two muscles, where they come together down near my knee, are "sticky" and trying to seize up and cramp together or something. There's also a sort of popping feeling (on the left side, I think), like the muscle/tendon is popping back and forth over one another.

This happened back in April when I attempted running....I stopped for five months, but it's come back, so I don't think "rest" is the answer. I think there's some underlying issue -- knee is still injured and/or I do something inherently wrong when I run.

I feel like I've been pretty smart about my run build. I started out at 10 minutes per run, five days a week (so 50 minutes/week) and over 12 weeks have worked my way up to about 120 minutes/week. Things had actually been feeling fine (and I had noticed some decent progress) until last Wednesday, when my hamstring started doing this thing.

I went to my chiropractor who does ART for me, have been doing body weight strengthening stuff, and lots of stretching and foam rolling. I really feel like this wasn't a "too much, too soon" thing, but I still seem to have landed myself with an injury.

Really frustrating -- trying to be smart, but I want to be dumb and just run through it. Ugh....just needed to vent.

Just trying to think of ideas. Have you had anyone do a gait analysis ?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.