of 149

2013-11-06 5:18 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by TankBoy

So I am car traveling a lot and I lug my KICKR around with me in the back of my car - it is actually rather compact, but HEAVY - it has a built-in carry handle on, which makes it a little easier to lug around. Anyway, this morning I had a base ride scheduled, but did not have time to get out on the road, so just rode it on the trainer. I decided to give the Kinomap application a whirl via my iPad; I usually use trainer road with sufferfest, but this was supposed to be an easy ride. I did a nice little ride around the rolling countryside of southern France. It was kinda cool: the video was very high resolution, and once I set my weight, CRR, and wind speed it handled the variations in resistance on the KICKR very smoothly, as well as the speeding up and slowing down of the video as I sped up and slowed down. I think I am going to try and get out a GoPro some of my favorite mountain routes and upload them so I have something known to actually compare it to. 

Then I might take a spin up the Col de la Madeleine just for kicks.

That sounds pretty slick Rusty!

I do not need to buy more stuff

right?

2013-11-06 5:59 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

So I am car traveling a lot and I lug my KICKR around with me in the back of my car - it is actually rather compact, but HEAVY - it has a built-in carry handle on, which makes it a little easier to lug around. Anyway, this morning I had a base ride scheduled, but did not have time to get out on the road, so just rode it on the trainer. I decided to give the Kinomap application a whirl via my iPad; I usually use trainer road with sufferfest, but this was supposed to be an easy ride. I did a nice little ride around the rolling countryside of southern France. It was kinda cool: the video was very high resolution, and once I set my weight, CRR, and wind speed it handled the variations in resistance on the KICKR very smoothly, as well as the speeding up and slowing down of the video as I sped up and slowed down. I think I am going to try and get out a GoPro some of my favorite mountain routes and upload them so I have something known to actually compare it to. 

right?

Looking at their website, it seems all you need is an iPad/iPhone and a Wahoo dongle.

Your PM sends the power levels to the Wahoo Ant+ dongle and it feeds them to the app.

Rusty, is this correct ?
2013-11-06 7:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

My plan is to swim a bit (hopefully with the swim team kids again), ride the trainer a bunch and run a whole lot.  Hoping to not have the same problems with icy sidewalks I had all last winter.

Since it's November now...you all have permission to start whining about the cold/snow again.

I'm not complaining yet but I did get briefly snowed on during my run on Monday.

It's past Halloween, so we won't have a chance for snow again until Thanksgiving.

2013-11-06 3:31 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by marcag

right?

Looking at their website, it seems all you need is an iPad/iPhone and a Wahoo dongle. Your PM sends the power levels to the Wahoo Ant+ dongle and it feeds them to the app. Rusty, is this correct ?
I think that is correct - from what I can tell in that configuration is that it calculates your virtual speed over the course based on your power and weight, rolling resistance, tire size, and wind speed that you enter, and then speeds up or slows down the video according to your calculated speed. In my one time using it this worked very well with their "approved" video - from what I understand those are shot from 90~120 fps so they play very smoothly even when going very slow (If you stop pedaling the video actually pauses). In addition to traditional "direct force" ANT power meters (power tap, quarq, SRM, vector, etc), it also works with the Kurt Kinetic inRide bluetooth PM as well, which if you already have a KK Road Machine or RnR, looks like a must-have accessory if you don't already have some sort of direct force PM - according to DC Rainmaker it does an even better job of calculating virtual power than Trainer Road.

If you use a Wahoo KICKR or (I think) a Cyclops Power Beam Pro the app actually controls the resistance to the trainer just like erg mode in trainer road, but instead of having to make a workout file it calculates the resistance on the fly from smoothed data in a gpx file from a ride. It looks like they have very easy tools to precisely sync the gpx data with a video shot on the ride, and of course the newest gps enabled sport cameras do that for you saving a step. Kinomap also has an iPhone app that does it seamlessly with video shot from the phone during the ride.

Like a lot of these services it requires a monthly fee if you use their videos, but evidently you can upload your own and use those for free. Maybe one of the coolest features is that as many as 4 riders can "race" against each other on the same course online. So if you are interested we could have a SBR race up Mont Ventoux - any takers?

2013-11-07 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag Looking at their website, it seems all you need is an iPad/iPhone and a Wahoo dongle. Your PM sends the power levels to the Wahoo Ant+ dongle and it feeds them to the app. Rusty, is this correct ?
I think that is correct - from what I can tell in that configuration is that it calculates your virtual speed over the course based on your power and weight, rolling resistance, tire size, and wind speed that you enter, and then speeds up or slows down the video according to your calculated speed. In my one time using it this worked very well with their "approved" video - from what I understand those are shot from 90~120 fps so they play very smoothly even when going very slow (If you stop pedaling the video actually pauses). In addition to traditional "direct force" ANT power meters (power tap, quarq, SRM, vector, etc), it also works with the Kurt Kinetic inRide bluetooth PM as well, which if you already have a KK Road Machine or RnR, looks like a must-have accessory if you don't already have some sort of direct force PM - according to DC Rainmaker it does an even better job of calculating virtual power than Trainer Road.

If you use a Wahoo KICKR or (I think) a Cyclops Power Beam Pro the app actually controls the resistance to the trainer just like erg mode in trainer road, but instead of having to make a workout file it calculates the resistance on the fly from smoothed data in a gpx file from a ride. It looks like they have very easy tools to precisely sync the gpx data with a video shot on the ride, and of course the newest gps enabled sport cameras do that for you saving a step. Kinomap also has an iPhone app that does it seamlessly with video shot from the phone during the ride.

Like a lot of these services it requires a monthly fee if you use their videos, but evidently you can upload your own and use those for free. Maybe one of the coolest features is that as many as 4 riders can "race" against each other on the same course online. So if you are interested we could have a SBR race up Mont Ventoux - any takers?

This has potential !!!

From what I understand I can get the app on my iphone and display the video on my iPhone
My power meter also send to the iphone via the Wahoo dongle
Then I can send the iPhone display to a TV or PC using AirPlay from Apple.

This has potential !!! Anyone in the group with a $60 dongle, an iPhone and a PM might be able to use this.
I also have the wahoo case with built in dongle which is nice because it's protects the iPhone from flying sweat.

More experimentation required which is fine because I can't run or bike really for now due to Achilles.

2013-11-07 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag Looking at their website, it seems all you need is an iPad/iPhone and a Wahoo dongle. Your PM sends the power levels to the Wahoo Ant+ dongle and it feeds them to the app. Rusty, is this correct ?

This has potential !!!

From what I understand I can get the app on my iphone and display the video on my iPhone

This has potential !!! Anyone in the group with a $60 dongle, an iPhone and a PM might be able to use this.
I also have the wahoo case with built in dongle which is nice because it's protects the iPhone from flying sweat.

More experimentation required which is fine because I can't run or bike really for now due to Achilles.

I suggest the Canadian delegation all chip in, buy Jason a GoPro and we can all do his Hawaii rides via video.

2013-11-07 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

This has potential !!!

I suggest the Canadian delegation all chip in, buy Jason a GoPro and we can all do his Hawaii rides via video.

LOL. This software does have potential...but it still involves riding on the trainer.

If I had to ride the trainer though, I think I would much rather prefer this type of workout as compared to a standard TR workout though. I mean...TR workouts are great, but I rather see the relationship of the harder I pedal, the faster I go. I rather shoot for PRs (or beating competition...whether other online players or my previous PB) than simply ride at a prescribed power for X time.

ETA: My coworker does have a Hero 2. If you guys do get into this, just let me know and I can try to give you guys some sample video from Hawaii to try out.

Edited by Jason N 2013-11-07 10:27 AM
2013-11-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

This has potential !!! From what I understand I can get the app on my iphone and display the video on my iPhone My power meter also send to the iphone via the Wahoo dongle Then I can send the iPhone display to a TV or PC using AirPlay from Apple. This has potential !!! Anyone in the group with a $60 dongle, an iPhone and a PM might be able to use this. I also have the wahoo case with built in dongle which is nice because it's protects the iPhone from flying sweat. More experimentation required which is fine because I can't run or bike really for now due to Achilles.
LOL. This software does have potential...but it still involves riding on the trainer. If I had to ride the trainer though, I think I would much rather prefer this type of workout as compared to a standard TR workout though. I mean...TR workouts are great, but I rather see the relationship of the harder I pedal, the faster I go. I rather shoot for PRs (or beating competition...whether other online players or my previous PB) than simply ride at a prescribed power for X time. ETA: My coworker does have a Hero 2. If you guys do get into this, just let me know and I can try to give you guys some sample video from Hawaii to try out.

Does the Hero 2 have enough battery life to get all the way up Haleakala? 

Marc - my setup is even slightly simpler than that: Since the Kickr can communicate via ANT or Bluetooth smart, I use bluetooth so no ANT necessary. I do have an older iPad that does not have Bluetooth 4.0, so I do have to use the dongle with that if I use that for some reason (i.e., don't have a television mirror my phone to). We have appleTVs at home and use those for streaming, but when I travel I just keep an HDMI cable with me and use that for a direct connection instead. The Kurt Kinetic inRide is bluetooth smart also (not ANT) so if you have a newer device with BT4.0 then you wouldn't need a dongle for that either. 

One other nice feature of Kinomap is that you don't have to have a wifi connection to use it (I don't always) - you can download the videos you want (in HD even) when you have a connection and store them locally on the device. Then you can ride away with all the same controls later. That also lets you do a group virtual race via a cellular connection without having to deal with a lot of data transfer overhead.

2013-11-07 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

right?

Looking at their website, it seems all you need is an iPad/iPhone and a Wahoo dongle. Your PM sends the power levels to the Wahoo Ant+ dongle and it feeds them to the app. Rusty, is this correct ?

Since it calculates your speed based onyour power and weight, rolling resistance, tire size, and wind speed, and you can set it up to "race" other riders, does it take draft effect into account? I could never keep up with you guys on my own, but I may be able to hang on for dear life
2013-11-07 12:44 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions  Since it calculates your speed based onyour power and weight, rolling resistance, tire size, and wind speed, and you can set it up to "race" other riders, does it take draft effect into account? I could never keep up with you guys on my own, but I may be able to hang on for dear life

This one does!

www.tourdegiro.com

2013-11-07 1:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Since it calculates your speed based onyour power and weight, rolling resistance, tire size, and wind speed, and you can set it up to "race" other riders, does it take draft effect into account? I could never keep up with you guys on my own, but I may be able to hang on for dear life

Well since you can adjust the options, you can essentially "handicap" some riders by adding additional weight or boosting their crr value.

2013-11-07 3:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Well since you can adjust the options, you can essentially "handicap" some riders by adding additional weight or boosting their crr value.

Ohhhh, so I can make you guys all fat and slow

I figured each person put in their own info and then just raced together. Either way, this is kind of a neat idea. I really like that you could upload your own video to go with it. And I second the idea of Jason videoing some of his rides -- way prettier than Texas and way less icy/snowy than Canada!!
2013-11-08 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just got this message

"You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2014 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 9 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the City Bikes Ironman 70.3 Miami."

Is this a well know/reputable/prestigious event ?
Does it attract high caliber people or is this kind of a scam to get people to sign up to USAT ?
Wonder if they know I'm Canadian....

Weird. It's not the first race I finish top 10% yet it's the first time I get this email.

Worth considering ?
2013-11-08 7:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag I just got this message "You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2014 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 9 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the City Bikes Ironman 70.3 Miami." Is this a well know/reputable/prestigious event ? Does it attract high caliber people or is this kind of a scam to get people to sign up to USAT ? Wonder if they know I'm Canadian.... Weird. It's not the first race I finish top 10% yet it's the first time I get this email. Worth considering ?

It's very competitive, and it's anticipated to be more so next year with Worlds for 2015 being in Chicago. No idea about you racing it being Canadian or what that would mean towards going to worlds. If you want a competitive Oly, this would definitely be a good one to look into.

2013-11-08 8:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Nothing really relevant to post - just the simple fact that I'm trying to add biking and swimming back into my life.  My 500M TT this morning was what I expected, and was pretty close to Ben's times from his swim meet....not.

2013-11-08 8:17 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag I just got this message "You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2014 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 9 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the City Bikes Ironman 70.3 Miami." Is this a well know/reputable/prestigious event ? Does it attract high caliber people or is this kind of a scam to get people to sign up to USAT ? Wonder if they know I'm Canadian.... Weird. It's not the first race I finish top 10% yet it's the first time I get this email. Worth considering ?

I got that email too.

The next USA vs Canada showdown?  

2013-11-08 8:48 AM

Master
Northern IL

I got that email too.

It's an interesting thought. I don't know about doing the Oly at that point, or if I'll even have a race to qualify in time (or at all), but the Sprint has been getting strong consideration.

2013-11-08 8:59 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

I got that email too.

If you guys would like to focus on the OLY distance next year then I would DEFINITELY put this one on your schedule. It has become increasingly competitive over the past several years and with the move to Milwaukee it has become even more so. It is a great town for a long weekend and from all reports from folks I know the course and venue are awesome. This would have been on my list for sure the past couple of years if it were not so close to my scheduled IM races. But heck, if you guys are in maybe I will do the OLY championship and then IMMT the next weekend. is that a bad idea? Maybe I should ask for advice on TT?

Seriously if you are interested I would sign up fairly early - the biggest problem with the qualification rules is that it is first come first served. IIRC it sold out very early in the season last year and they had to do a sort of rolling wait list thing to accommodate all the complaints about there not being slots available for folks that continued to qualify throughout the season. As far as being Canadian, this is WTC - I am betting so long as you pay with green money they really don't care....

2013-11-08 9:42 AM

Master
Northern IL

I got that email too.

If you guys would like to focus on the OLY distance next year then I would DEFINITELY put this one on your schedule. It has become increasingly competitive over the past several years and with the move to Milwaukee it has become even more so. It is a great town for a long weekend and from all reports from folks I know the course and venue are awesome. This would have been on my list for sure the past couple of years if it were not so close to my scheduled IM races. But heck, if you guys are in maybe I will do the OLY championship and then IMMT the next weekend. is that a bad idea? Maybe I should ask for advice on TT?

Seriously if you are interested I would sign up fairly early - the biggest problem with the qualification rules is that it is first come first served. IIRC it sold out very early in the season last year and they had to do a sort of rolling wait list thing to accommodate all the complaints about there not being slots available for folks that continued to qualify throughout the season. As far as being Canadian, this is WTC - I am betting so long as you pay with green money they really don't care....

WTC? They qualified in a WTC race, but this is a USAT event. Or did that mean something else?

I see a few Canadians in the results, so you should be able to get in. Probably different for Worlds qualification, if interested.

2013-11-08 10:08 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by brigby1

I got that email too.

WTC? They qualified in a WTC race, but this is a USAT event. Or did that mean something else?

I see a few Canadians in the results, so you should be able to get in. Probably different for Worlds qualification, if interested.

Sorry Ben, you are right. Just a brain malfunction. Meant USAT. I was referring to that email they sent out to a bunch of us last year meant to make us feel super special elite for being allowed to pay money to get on the waitlist. It was kind of funny.

2013-11-08 11:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

I got that email too.

Sorry Ben, you are right. Just a brain malfunction. Meant USAT. I was referring to that email they sent out to a bunch of us last year meant to make us feel super special elite for being allowed to pay money to get on the waitlist. It was kind of funny.

I, on the other hand, did not get such an email.  I am just hoping I don't get the email I got last year from USAT....paraphrasing but not by much....  "Ohhhhh, you were so close to qualifying for the nationals, if only you'd manned up and ran just a *bit* harder, or suffered jsut a little more.  Or perhaps put the donut down.....  Maybe next year???  Good luck with that"

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-08 11:24 AM

2013-11-08 11:57 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

I, on the other hand, did not get such an email.  I am just hoping I don't get the email I got last year from USAT....paraphrasing but not by much....  "Ohhhhh, you were so close to qualifying for the nationals, if only you'd manned up and ran just a *bit* harder, or suffered jsut a little more.  Or perhaps put the donut down.....  Maybe next year???  Good luck with that"

I think they connect to the tourism dept and are targeting Canadians.

Milwaukee....beer....I feel this sudden urge to do this race.....
2013-11-08 1:55 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

My bike is on it's way to Arizona via TBT....only 9 more days.....it's been a long season

2013-11-08 3:05 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Birkierunner

My bike is on it's way to Arizona via TBT....only 9 more days.....it's been a long season

You'll do great Jim!  Post your bib number when you have it!

2013-11-08 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Birkierunner

You'll do great Jim!  Post your bib number when you have it!

# 2759    And, don't laugh at my swim split

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.