BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-12-31 1:22 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Jet Black Well, I've decided to do the half IM plan from this here site, starting next Monday. It actually works out perfect for my April 26th race date! Today I'm going to do an easy 7 mile run. Ok, something I need help with. I just got a bike on Sunday (2012 Fuji Aloha), just been doing spin classes up to this point. Other than one water bottle cage, it came with no accessories. I need to get a helmet obviously, but does anybody have a good list of essentials that I should buy for the bike? Thanks!

I would suggest a bike computer and a bento box. You may also need additional bottle holder(s) for those long rides.

Forgot to mention that my Forerunner 920 is scheduled to be delivered today. If I get the cadence/speed accessory for that, will that be good enough?

Yes, that will be good enough.  Maybe not 100% optimal, but it will be good enough.  I'm pretty sure you can get a quick-release mount for the 920, so that you can set it up on your bike directly in front of you.  Another way to use it (as I did for a while with m 310XT, was to face the watch on the inside of my arm, and that worked OK.  I ended up getting a dedicated Edge 500, but the only thing the 920 lacks is screen size for extra data.

Alternately, if you're loaded, get a dedicated bike GPS.  If not, don't worry.

Don't do it!  It messed up the profile of the watch so it clangs around when you run (well, my 310 does).  It clangs so much that it bruises my wrist.  

2014-12-31 1:24 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Jet Black Well, I've decided to do the half IM plan from this here site, starting next Monday. It actually works out perfect for my April 26th race date! Today I'm going to do an easy 7 mile run. Ok, something I need help with. I just got a bike on Sunday (2012 Fuji Aloha), just been doing spin classes up to this point. Other than one water bottle cage, it came with no accessories. I need to get a helmet obviously, but does anybody have a good list of essentials that I should buy for the bike? Thanks!

Pedals are a must.

Might as well add a bell and streamers!

I hear that the streamers are super aero!

2014-12-31 1:34 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Jet Black Just did 7 miles in 1:06:44 (9'31" pace - just did what felt good, was planning on 10/mi pace). These long runs are pretty fun at this point because everyone is the farthest I've ever run before!

Wow that's awesome!

Congrats!!  That's about where I was at (pace and distance) until just recently.  It's so cool to feel like you're hitting a new milestone every time you go out for a long run.  As my mileage increased, I'd find myself saying, "Yeah, I'm a rock star!!  I just ran X mi.!!  Look at me go!!"  I'm really looking forward to getting back to that.

2014-12-31 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

12 pages!  Good lord.  I'm coming back please!  Will post Bio later today.

2014-12-31 1:35 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IronOx

Yay!!  Welcome back, Kirsten!!

2014-12-31 2:05 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!

Originally posted by laffinrock

I recently got the WTC TriathlonLive pass for the 2014 season. (I'm such a geek.)  I'm three races in to the women's season, and It's SO COOL. Jorgensen's run is so amazing.  It's also neat to see the story of the race work out.

It's great to watch people race while on a trainer.  It reminds me that the pain is worth it.  It's also easier to hurt while watching other people hurt.

We have Universal Sports Network so I get a lot of the races as well. I am usually watching either a tri or a bike race whilst (that one's for you Darren) on the drainer.

Is there a place online to get the bike races? Dost thou know?

I'm a geek too.  We *always* pay to watch the TdF.  This year it was on MapMyRide for $35 and definitely worth it.  I'm always disappointed that I can't watch the Giro, Pro Challenge or Vuelta and would happily pay to see those.  I'd love to see some cyclocross and the Spring 1-day classics too.  We don't have cable, but sometimes contemplate it because of all the "other" sports (e.g. non-college or NFL football/basketball/MLB) we miss out on.

$35 isn't bad for that.  I'll have to keep an eye out for that this summer.

2014-12-31 2:06 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Jet Black Just did 7 miles in 1:06:44 (9'31" pace - just did what felt good, was planning on 10/mi pace). These long runs are pretty fun at this point because everyone is the farthest I've ever run before!

That's totally a cool place to be.  I remember when I was tooling up for my first HM, and every run was a new distance record.

2014-12-31 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Pedals are a must.

I have a book recommendation.  I picked this up right when I started thinking about tris (after my bro did one, so therefore I had to do one, too, right?).  The Complete Idiot's Guide to Triathlon Training.  I got it from the library, but it's a quality book if you're just getting started.

Those were the days.  Back before I knew what watts or periodization were.

2014-12-31 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Pedals are a must.

You heard that too, huh?  Those plastic beads that slide up and down the spokes have a cool aero effect and are guaranteed to make everyone else jealous.

2014-12-31 2:13 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by IronOx

I think we get a little excited at the start of a new group, and then blow everyone away by page 8.

2014-12-31 2:13 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It's moments like these that keep us coming back, big congrats!

2014-12-31 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Sean, You've gotten some good advice already. Here are my additions.  If you intend to do a lot of your riding on the road, then a few essentials are a multitool, air pump, etc. Get a bike bag/wedge for carrying it all. You will have the opportunity to change a tube out in the middle of a ride, hopefully it isn't on race day. I wasn't sold on the need for a bike jersey, until I had one. Those 3 pockets are awesome. Depending on the road quality, gloves are nice to have as well. However, one of the better investments I made into my riding is the 6 pack that I occasionally bring to the Local Bike Store. I ride with the shop guys a few times a month, get parts, gels, clothes, accessories and advice from them and the relationship I've developed with Gary and Melody has been priceless. I just stopped in today for some hard to find parts that they'll be tracking down for my MTB build.

Wedge sample - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIAU8O/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SJ24CK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MFJTYT6KZVKFG5PHJJF

Multitool/CO2 Combo sample - http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-AirFix-Inflator-Color-Size/dp/B000KBL3NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420057197&sr=8-1&keywords=blackburn+multitool+CO2

These are merely samples, YMMV.

2014-12-31 2:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by Jet Black

Well, I've decided to do the half IM plan from this here site, starting next Monday. It actually works out perfect for my April 26th race date!

Today I'm going to do an easy 7 mile run.

Ok, something I need help with. I just got a bike on Sunday (2012 Fuji Aloha), just been doing spin classes up to this point. Other than one water bottle cage, it came with no accessories. I need to get a helmet obviously, but does anybody have a good list of essentials that I should buy for the bike? Thanks!

I really like having a Bento box on my bike. For longish rides, I always have pretzels and Saltstick tablets in there (and those are always in there on raceday), but it'll also hold my phone, keys if I don't have a back jersey pocket.

I also like having a water bottle cage between the aero bars. This year I stuck an aero bottle in it and having the straw so close to my face made it next to impossible to forget to drink water. A lot of my training rides didn't allow for refilling of water, either, so I had to carry as much as I could. I have a behind the seat water bottle holder as well (I use one of the bottles for carrying my spare tube, inflater nozzle, some Allan wrenches, zip ties, tire tool, etc.), but having 4 places that I could carry water allows me to go 3+ hours without needing to refill anywhere if needed. Water on the bike really depends, though, on what your plan is regarding training, stopping, etc.

Oh, and whoever came up with the idea for me to do a brick run the first day I've been on my bike in almost 3 months, it was a bad idea!!!!!!!!! LOLOL

Edited by glfprncs 2014-12-31 2:27 PM
2014-12-31 2:28 PM

User image

Haha, and no pedals either!

Seriously, I was told I had to wait to get the bike fit before I could put my pedals and saddle on. My bike sat there and mocked me for 2 weeks before I could get into Boulder Sports Medicine for the fit. It was like when you were a kid and getting a present from Santa but he forgot to buy the batteries!

Reading the thread here further it looks as if I forgot the streamers. Anything else I need to add?
2014-12-31 2:36 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks everybody for the bike and training plan suggestions!
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by fortissimo Haha, and no pedals either! Seriously, I was told I had to wait to get the bike fit before I could put my pedals and saddle on. My bike sat there and mocked me for 2 weeks before I could get into Boulder Sports Medicine for the fit. It was like when you were a kid and getting a present from Santa but he forgot to buy the batteries! Reading the thread here further it looks as if I forgot the streamers. Anything else I need to add?

Wait! You're in Colorado too?!?!?!?!?! Awesome!!!!!!! Looks like our Colorado group is getting as big as our NW group!!!

ETA: Nevermind, I knew that. Had a brain cramp. Duh, Tri for the Cure.

Edited by rrrunner 2014-12-31 2:39 PM

in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, CO

That's just cruel!!

You need a card clothes-pinned into the wheel so you can sound super cool.

2014-12-31 2:48 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

Pedals are a must.

Chopper handlbars. And a sissy bar. I also recommend a banana seat. Would be very comfortable to ride. No bike is complete without those three things. I'm sure it's very aero, and if you have to stop for some reason, there will be no issues as you have a kickstand.

(sweet bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sweet bike.jpg (204KB - 2 downloads)
2014-12-31 3:03 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by glfprncs

Pedals are a must.

Chopper handlbars. And a sissy bar. I also recommend a banana seat. Would be very comfortable to ride. No bike is complete without those three things. I'm sure it's very aero, and if you have to stop for some reason, there will be no issues as you have a kickstand.

Hahaha.  My brother had a Sting-Ray that same color!!  His seat was silver, though.  I totally coveted that bike and stole it every chance I could get.  I had an old rattletrap green thing with a (shudder) white plastic saddle seat.  AND it was a girl's bike.  As soon as I could save up the money, I bought a Schwinn Varsity 10-speed.  Loved that thing, but it weighted a ton.  It totally sucked when I got 2 flat tires and had to carry it a mile back home because the tubes kept getting stuck on the brakes.  Served me right for sneaking out when I was grounded!!

2014-12-31 3:36 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by glfprncs

Pedals are a must.

Hahaha.  My brother had a Sting-Ray that same color!!  His seat was silver, though.  I totally coveted that bike and stole it every chance I could get.  I had an old rattletrap green thing with a (shudder) white plastic saddle seat.  AND it was a girl's bike.  As soon as I could save up the money, I bought a Schwinn Varsity 10-speed.  Loved that thing, but it weighted a ton.  It totally sucked when I got 2 flat tires and had to carry it a mile back home because the tubes kept getting stuck on the brakes.  Served me right for sneaking out when I was grounded!!

Love it.  I had a green Sting-Ray when I was in grade school and a I got a Schwinn Continental when I was in middle school.  In fact, I did my first triathlon in the early 80's with my stripped down Continental. 

2014-12-31 4:46 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Pedals are a must.

You heard that too, huh?  Those plastic beads that slide up and down the spokes have a cool aero effect and are guaranteed to make everyone else jealous.

in Australia they are called "spokey dokes" in case you need to do an internet search...

But seriously what about shoes and it would definitely be worth paying for a decent fitting if you haven't done this already it could save you from some major pain.

2014-12-31 4:53 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Happy new year Stacey!
2014-12-31 4:55 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Happy new year everyone! (Or international Hangover Day)

Day 1 of the Salty Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge.

2014-12-31 7:10 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Bike Gallery has been moved to BT, for ease of access:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/17246

Have a great night everyone!

2014-12-31 8:57 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Happy (oh so close to) New Year! Have a fantastic and safe start to 2015 :D
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55373 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.