of 97

2015-01-16 12:03 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Originally posted by axteraa

Exactly what Ben said, it's all about finding patterns.  The initial warmup is fairly typical of what Shane gives me, there are maybe 3 or 4 variations that I will see so I just get used to that.  

After that, within the main set the pattern goes 8, 6, 4, 2 for the number of repeats and the distance increases by 25 so it's just remembering to start at 8x25.  Then just have to remember what to do for each but there is somewhat of a pattern there too.

There has only been one time that I told him he had violated rule 16. 

Heh, it is funny. One of the things I like about masters is that every day is different, but at the same time it is usually the same. The deck coach actually has said to me that "it is just swimming." I try to always write down the specifics of the workout in my log, and even when it seems complicated, there is always some really easy, over-arching pattern to remember - it seems almost like a game. Swimming masters and learning to work the pace clock has made it much easier to see the patterns and remember them. Without any real counting laps, distance, etc.

2015-01-16 2:23 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TankBoy

Exactly what Ben said, it's all about finding patterns.  The initial warmup is fairly typical of what Shane gives me, there are maybe 3 or 4 variations that I will see so I just get used to that.  

After that, within the main set the pattern goes 8, 6, 4, 2 for the number of repeats and the distance increases by 25 so it's just remembering to start at 8x25.  Then just have to remember what to do for each but there is somewhat of a pattern there too.

Heh, it is funny. One of the things I like about masters is that every day is different, but at the same time it is usually the same. The deck coach actually has said to me that "it is just swimming." I try to always write down the specifics of the workout in my log, and even when it seems complicated, there is always some really easy, over-arching pattern to remember - it seems almost like a game. Swimming masters and learning to work the pace clock has made it much easier to see the patterns and remember them. Without any real counting laps, distance, etc.

My distance days at masters is almost always:

600 warm-up (some combo of swim/kick/pull), 1800 main set, 800 pull set. 

2015-01-16 2:25 PM

User image

Back on the saddle today.  Generally fine...just a little tender in the elbow when riding over cracks or bumps.  Didn't feel like getting out of the saddle all that much and putting a lot of weight on my front end. 

On a side note, 32 mm gatorskins at 60 psi on my CX bike is great for commuting.

2015-01-16 4:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I'm hoping to be a regular here again. Army training is done, so I mostly have my life back.

This may not be a tri year though, it may be a marathon year. I applied for the Army Tri team again, but unless the squad is bigger (which it might be - it's a Military World Games year), I'm out. I did find out that the AZ Guard has a marathon team, and that the time standard is a 4:30 for the women... and that my only competition has a PR of 4:07... I ran a 4:22 in January 2012, and I'm confident that, if trained, I could go 4:00 by the end of Jan 2016.

Ok - back to catching up on the conversation so far

Welcome back Elaine! How's the Army? Is it leaner and meaner now that you are in it? If you get a chance go to Airborne and Air Assault school. They are a real blast.

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Quick question:

Do you warm up at all before running? If yes, what do you do? Do you do it before every run?

I've always just kind of ran, but this year will (hopefully) bring many more miles than the last one.

Yes I always warm up.

Run - Some pre-run stretching then ez 1st 1/2 -1 mile.
Swim - 500yds 1st 300ez then faster. then some kicks and 50's Maybe a IM
Bike - Yes and it takes about 15-20 miles to really warm up.

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-16 4:42 PM
2015-01-16 4:56 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Jason N

Back on the saddle today.  Generally fine...just a little tender in the elbow when riding over cracks or bumps.  Didn't feel like getting out of the saddle all that much and putting a lot of weight on my front end. 

On a side note, 32 mm gatorskins at 60 psi on my CX bike is great for commuting.

Good to see Jason. One question; did you get the ER nurse's phone number?
2015-01-16 5:32 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by Jason N

Good to see Jason. One question; did you get the ER nurse's phone number?

Nope...would have been kind of tough to pull off considering my GF was sitting in the room with me.  LOL.

2015-01-16 6:05 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy

It's almost a game of mine to try to figure out the pattern of the swim and guess the next set before the coach gives it to us. 

Can't wait to get back in the pool (and on the bike) -- next week!!

2015-01-17 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ok I repeated my last Wednesday workout (from 3days ago) of a Computrainer (CT) ride: 3x 300+w @8' w/2' ri. I follow the metrics on my CT with my PowerTap (PT) G3. Both of the CT and PT were calibrated. My RPE was higher from 7.5 - 8.5 may HR went from 146-160 bpm from Wednesday ride. My last FTP test 30 Nov 14 was a 20’ test only and was 275w for the 20’ which at 92-93% is a FTP 255. I will do another 20’ only test this coming Wed. I want to repeat exactly the FTP 20’ test I did before.

So this CT ride was;
1hr 10’ wu, 3x 300+w @8' w/2' ri 15’cd
242w Avg

HR avg 160
RPM avg 83

My PT readings from Garmin 910XT

AP 239w
NP 248w
TSS 152.7

So what is the verdict? I am not sure what the TSS is all about or if 152.7 is good.
2015-01-17 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok I repeated my last Wednesday workout (from 3days ago) of a Computrainer (CT) ride: 3x 300+w @8' w/2' ri. I follow the metrics on my CT with my PowerTap (PT) G3. Both of the CT and PT were calibrated. My RPE was higher from 7.5 - 8.5 may HR went from 146-160 bpm from Wednesday ride. My last FTP test 30 Nov 14 was a 20’ test only and was 275w for the 20’ which at 92-93% is a FTP 255. I will do another 20’ only test this coming Wed. I want to repeat exactly the FTP 20’ test I did before.

So this CT ride was;
1hr 10’ wu, 3x 300+w @8' w/2' ri 15’cd
242w Avg

HR avg 160
RPM avg 83

My PT readings from Garmin 910XT

AP 239w
NP 248w
TSS 152.7

So what is the verdict? I am not sure what the TSS is all about or if 152.7 is good.

Sounds like your PT and CT are pretty close based on the 242Avg and AP=239w

The TSS 152 is over stated, probably because you did not set your FTP in Garmin Connect and watch. It thinks your FTP is 200w (default).
2015-01-17 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
btw this was tougher.....1. I repeated this from 3 days ago. 2. Bad sleep last night. Garmin link http://connect.garmin.com/activity/675553277

2015-01-17 12:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

The TSS 152 is over stated, probably because you did not set your FTP in Garmin Connect and watch. It thinks your FTP is 200w (default).

Ok so I'll set my FTP at 255 in the watch.

My CT is the Lab model which is suppose to be better calibrated.

Thanks Marc

2015-01-17 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Marc what other setting do I need to check in my 910xt for power?

Does bike weight matter? I know body weight will.

2015-01-17 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Marc what other setting do I need to check in my 910xt for power?

Does bike weight matter? I know body weight will.

You can also set your zones. Easiest way is to do it in Garmin Connect then send to watch.
I think, not sure, but think calories burned are based on HR zones.
2015-01-17 1:12 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Calories burned should be based off power numbers shouldn't they?  For me, in both Garmin connect and TP, calories burned always equals work (plus or minus 1).  Maybe that's because I don't use HR though, could be different when that comes into the equation I guess.

2015-01-17 3:03 PM

Master
Northern IL

Calories burned should be based off power numbers shouldn't they?  For me, in both Garmin connect and TP, calories burned always equals work (plus or minus 1).  Maybe that's because I don't use HR though, could be different when that comes into the equation I guess.

I think some try to estimate from HR too, but would think based off power should be better.

2015-01-17 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

For the bike (even when wearing my HRM), the calorie numbers are very close to the work value.

For the run, calories depend on either HRM (if you're wearing it) or pace (if you're not wearing the HRM).  Runs that are the same distance, pace, effort, etc. will have wildly different calories burned if I wear my HRM versus not.  HRM numbers are always lower than without it for me. 

2015-01-18 7:09 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Need more girls? (Well, women?) I'm Karen and I'm an endurance sport addict. ?? Have been at it one way or another since age 10. Started as a runner and swimmer, pretty much at the same time, stuck with running through HS and college and always at some level considered myself a runner and managed a race or two a year and a couple of runs a week. Got out of competitive racing/training from about age 21 to 40, then got back into running and, soon after, tri not long after turning 40 (now 45). I've done one HIM, quite a few sprints and Olys, and currently training for IM Vietnam 70.3. My real passion is swim/run races but there aren't many. Looking for some online company as tri training here can be a lonely endeavor. I do have one and possibly two colleagues training for the same race, but our paces are quite diferent. As you might guess from my background, I'm a strong runner (at least in tris), decent swimmer, and not much of a biker. Hoping to change that with more bike training and my new (to me) P2.

In "real life" I'm an international school teacher, currently teaching Grade 5. Most years I've helped coach swimming but this year trying to start a new elementary track/XC program.

Looking for any tri wisdom I can. I coach myself and honestly don't think I do a very good job of it. I see little connection between what I do in training and my race results. I'm quite consistent with training, but am prone to getting sick during taper, or ( as last summer) having freak accidents that hurt my race performance. Could point to many examples of training hard but having a lackluster race, or NOT training but having a great race. I always read about other people making progress but I don't think I really do, just kind of stay the same, or get better then get worse again. Not sure if that is just how aging sucks, or I am doing something terribly wrong!
2015-01-18 7:15 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hi Karen, welcome to the group.  Glad to have you!

2015-01-18 7:19 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Karen, I took a quick peek through your training log.  Looks like you get out on your bike lots, that should help for sure!  Are you (or will you) following a plan for Vietnam?  I remember you posting about the new P2, have you found a difference from what you were riding before?

2015-01-18 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Biking lots....I was on a bike tour in Sri Lanka over Christmas Break, which would explain it! Have been trying to keep up a decent amount of biking and get in some longer rides--either MTB or trainer--now that I'm back to work and normal training. It's been tough as I've been sick for the past week--low grade respiratory virus that has me just craving sleep (so no early AM workouts) and unable to do any high-intensity stuff (or I start wheezing and coughing). I have asthma (allergy induced) but it's rarely an issue unless pollution/field burning is really bad or I'm sick--unfortunately both are true at the moment.

Have just been doing easy to moderate rides on the P2 to get used to the new position, gears, etc. I don't notice much of a difference WHEN I'm riding it (then again, don't have a computer on it yet, nor have I done any training rides with it outside) but I do notice my legs are A LOT fresher when I get off and do a brick run than with my road bike. My old Trek 1.2 was comfortable, but after talking with several of the top Singapore AG athletes and some coaches and bike folks, I think it wasn't a very good fit (frame size and reach too small) and it may have been compromising my power and in many cases my run. At least I'm hoping I'll see some real improvement on the bike this year!

Plan--I was thinking about the intermediate HIM plan on this site but reconsidered when I couldn't start last week. Leaning towards the " Oly to HIM Bridge" plan with some modifications (mainly, plenty of long rides with brick runs. That really helped me have a very strong run off the bike in my first HIM; I also need to be really prepared to deal with extreme heat on the run course, mentally, physically, and in terms of tweaking nutrition and hydration.) It's only a 12 week plan and assumes decent Oly fitness, which I think I have. I was doing run focused training in the fall but was very consistent with getting in a weekly longer ride and a high-intensity session, in order to stay fit for the tour, and with 3 swims per week. The 12 week plan also works out better with timing--I can have another week to just get volume up with lower intensity while I get over this bug, and an extra week in there. I'm going back to the US at Tet next month, and the travel and jet lag will no doubt mess up training that week.

2015-01-18 8:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome Karen,

I think at one point, just getting out and training, same thing day in day out, just stops yielding results. The problem with generic plans is they do not take into account are individual strengths and weakness. They provide a reasonable balance of load for the average person, but are the objectives sought relavant to us ?But a plan is important. It has to be the mapping of the route we take to overcome our weaknesses.
Just going out and ad hocing it will keep you fit but not necessarily make you faster

I am a strong believer than we need to pick a point in the future and set a goal of what we want to accomplish by then. Then have a brutally honest conversation with ourselves about our strengths, weakness, likes and dislikes. Break up the entire period into significant chunks. When I say significant I mean enough time to actually make a desired change. Figure out if there are pre-requisites for a period. Set specific objectives for each period. Map out the progressing over the entire cycle and the specific periods (measure of performance and load). Map things out so the more race specific changes sought are closer to race day. Stick to the plan, assess and adjust at the end of each period. If you don't have the time, the knowledge or the desire, hire a coach.

Last year I kind of wondered, week by week and the result was a seriously sub par year. This year with a lot more structure, I can see the difference.

Edited by marcag 2015-01-18 9:10 AM

2015-01-18 2:46 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

80 minute / 16.5 km run today.  We are in the middle of a weather yoyo - yesterday was bone chilling cold with wind chill below -30.  Today the temp got just above freezing and tomorrow is supposed to get up to +7, then back to -10 on Tuesday.

5 and 20 min power tests on the bike this week!

2015-01-18 9:29 PM

Master
, California

Hey Karen - welcome!  I seem to recall you used to live in Oregon or something?  I think, deep down inside, you are a cyclist

2015-01-19 5:34 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Need more girls? (Well, women?) I'm Karen and I'm an endurance sport addict. ?? Have been at it one way or another since age 10. Started as a runner and swimmer, pretty much at the same time, stuck with running through HS and college and always at some level considered myself a runner and managed a race or two a year and a couple of runs a week. Got out of competitive racing/training from about age 21 to 40, then got back into running and, soon after, tri not long after turning 40 (now 45). I've done one HIM, quite a few sprints and Olys, and currently training for IM Vietnam 70.3. My real passion is swim/run races but there aren't many. Looking for some online company as tri training here can be a lonely endeavor. I do have one and possibly two colleagues training for the same race, but our paces are quite diferent. As you might guess from my background, I'm a strong runner (at least in tris), decent swimmer, and not much of a biker. Hoping to change that with more bike training and my new (to me) P2.

In "real life" I'm an international school teacher, currently teaching Grade 5. Most years I've helped coach swimming but this year trying to start a new elementary track/XC program.

Looking for any tri wisdom I can. I coach myself and honestly don't think I do a very good job of it. I see little connection between what I do in training and my race results. I'm quite consistent with training, but am prone to getting sick during taper, or ( as last summer) having freak accidents that hurt my race performance. Could point to many examples of training hard but having a lackluster race, or NOT training but having a great race. I always read about other people making progress but I don't think I really do, just kind of stay the same, or get better then get worse again. Not sure if that is just how aging sucks, or I am doing something terribly wrong!

Hey Karen welcome to the group!

I am thinking you are in a tough place to train for this sport. I imagine a very adjusted city that is not conducive to bike training on the road. I would like to here about your training conditions.
2015-01-19 5:41 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ok need a Vo2 work out for today. I looked in the old power group thread and I am not sure were to start. I will be doing a 20' only FTP test Wednesday. Then after that test I will follow the 5' and 20' Protocol for the FTP test.

For what its worth I will base today's Vo2 work % off a 280 FTP. So hit me up and make James suffer. LookinG for 1:10 hr max. I am running ez 1hr this am. Thanks guys.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).