Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-11-12 12:23 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Anyone using the Speefil Z4 BTA cage with the Garmin mount? I'm strongly considering getting one of those plus a stand alone bike computer (rather than putting the quick disconnect back onto my 910). Curious if anyone uses one and likes it?

2013-11-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions Anyone using the Speefil Z4 BTA cage with the Garmin mount? I'm strongly considering getting one of those plus a stand alone bike computer (rather than putting the quick disconnect back onto my 910). Curious if anyone uses one and likes it?

Yup.  Love it

2013-11-12 12:32 PM

User image

Haven't tried the mount, but I love having a stand alone bike computer. If you've got a PM and HRM, you may as well get a computer that can help display all that data easily. I'm sure I could get by with the 4 fields available on the 910, but it's just so much nicer with the dislplay flexibility of a dedicated garmin bike computer.

For me, it's one of those things that once I got one, I can't go back to riding without one.

2013-11-12 12:49 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N Haven't tried the mount, but I love having a stand alone bike computer. If you've got a PM and HRM, you may as well get a computer that can help display all that data easily. I'm sure I could get by with the 4 fields available on the 910, but it's just so much nicer with the dislplay flexibility of a dedicated garmin bike computer. For me, it's one of those things that once I got one, I can't go back to riding without one.

The Z4 supports the edge

2013-11-12 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

Haven't tried the mount, but I love having a stand alone bike computer. If you've got a PM and HRM, you may as well get a computer that can help display all that data easily. I'm sure I could get by with the 4 fields available on the 910, but it's just so much nicer with the dislplay flexibility of a dedicated garmin bike computer.

For me, it's one of those things that once I got one, I can't go back to riding without one.

Yeah, I haven't been training with power long enough to know exactly what data I want displayed....

But I am wary of the 910 with the quick disconnect and would rather have it securely attached to my wrist....and riding with it on my wrist is not at all conducive to actually paying attention to it!

So this is the route I think I'm going to go -- Z4 + a separate bike computer. Figure the holidays are coming up and, for once, I might actually not be completely useless when people ask me for gift ideas
2013-11-12 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions
But I am wary of the 910 with the quick disconnect and would rather have it securely attached to my wrist....a

The 910 quick disconnect in a race/swim scenario is scary IMO. I lost a 310 with it as did many many people

I have heard of similar stories with the 910.

2013-11-12 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have found the 910 to be sufficient for my needs.   Trying to think of what I can't see that I would want to....  or that isn't available by swithching screens, either automatically scrolling or manually

Thinking about it, data displayed for me whether racing or training is time, HR, 3s power and NP.  On screen 2 I have other data that I might want to see but that isn't important for the task (usually intervals) - distance, lap power, etc.  I use auto multisport and just uncheck the swim portion

I use the QR for the bike and run, and don't swim with it (usually, although I have).  I have been on sime uber bumpy roads and have never had any issues with teh Z4/QR system.  However, if I wanted to have an elapsed time (i.e. shooting for a sub X time) , I would ned to swim with it or have a certain start time that I could refer to with time of day.  For example, if I do NOLA 70.3 it's a time trial start so I might swim with it

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-12 1:01 PM
2013-11-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Anyone here use Speedplay pedals?  If so, have you ever lubed them and what did you use?  I've never done it (obviously) and I have one that is sticky.

2013-11-13 2:00 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Anyone here use Speedplay pedals?  If so, have you ever lubed them and what did you use?  I've never done it (obviously) and I have one that is sticky.

I do and just did that not too long ago using the stuff from their site. Didn't feel like looking around. Wasn't really having any problems, but with all the stuff in Friction Facts on the other mechanical sections figured this would be worth it too.

2013-11-13 2:04 PM

User image

I ate and drank way too much this past weekend. And I have this odd urge to swim. Time to knock some sense into myself.
2013-11-13 6:08 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Got my replacement 910 yesterday.  Nice to ride and run with metrics again today.

As for the 910 QR, I swim with mine solo, but have read enough bad things to avoid using it in a race during the swim.  I've never actually run into any issues though.

2013-11-13 8:00 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by GoFaster

Got my replacement 910 yesterday.  Nice to ride and run with metrics again today.

As for the 910 QR, I swim with mine solo, but have read enough bad things to avoid using it in a race during the swim.  I've never actually run into any issues though.

Same here....I used it for a number of races without issue, but I've recently decided that I don't want to take the risk anymore.

Honestly, I can't imagine riding or running (or even swimming!) without metrics. Maybe someday I'll try it, but I love having the ability to analyze afterwards.
2013-11-13 9:32 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Probably not going to do the 1 hr thing any higher than the comfortably hard from today for some time as it doesn't fit into the scheme, but still managed an even 300 for it. Had some more planned on top of it, but having some other issues that need to be worked on. Think some different durations and intensities will address it better.

Give me a few more weeks and I'll shoot for max power on a 20ish minute climb. I'll shoot for around 300, but no way I'm doing that for an hour...especially if it's on the flats or worse on the trainer. I've been thinking of some training related milestones to go for next year. Thinking about trying to ride 15k miles and climb 1 million feet. 15k miles comes out to around 290 miles a week. Not too bad if I continue to ride around 35-40 miles every M-F including my commute and 100-120 total miles on the weekend. The climbing part would be really tough. That's almost 20k feet a week and I can't get that much elevation gain unless I seek out the steep hills. I'd probably end up being happy with 12k miles and 500k feet climbing...but 1 million sounds so much better.

Still thinking that's a LOT of mileage to put in. Could do it for awhile, but it's every single week for a year.

And your goal for the test is now 302 plus a pair of 7's at 326 & 328.

2013-11-13 11:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Probably not going to do the 1 hr thing any higher than the comfortably hard from today for some time as it doesn't fit into the scheme, but still managed an even 300 for it. Had some more planned on top of it, but having some other issues that need to be worked on. Think some different durations and intensities will address it better.

Give me a few more weeks and I'll shoot for max power on a 20ish minute climb. I'll shoot for around 300, but no way I'm doing that for an hour...especially if it's on the flats or worse on the trainer. I've been thinking of some training related milestones to go for next year. Thinking about trying to ride 15k miles and climb 1 million feet. 15k miles comes out to around 290 miles a week. Not too bad if I continue to ride around 35-40 miles every M-F including my commute and 100-120 total miles on the weekend. The climbing part would be really tough. That's almost 20k feet a week and I can't get that much elevation gain unless I seek out the steep hills. I'd probably end up being happy with 12k miles and 500k feet climbing...but 1 million sounds so much better.

Still thinking that's a LOT of mileage to put in. Could do it for awhile, but it's every single week for a year.

And your goal for the test is now 302 plus a pair of 7's at 326 & 328.

The mileage may be doable, but the climbing will never happen. Because over half of the miles are commuting, it's not that high intensity except for when I pick a few spots. I've been at about 250 mpw for the past 4 weeks post IM. It'll probably get tougher when the weekend rides (currently about 45 & 25) get longer. We'll see.

Edited by Jason N 2013-11-13 11:25 PM
2013-11-14 5:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Have you guys established your race schedule for 2014 ?

I am struggling to figure out what I want to do.
2013-11-14 6:29 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag Have you guys established your race schedule for 2014 ? I am struggling to figure out what I want to do.

Nope, still not sure either.  Big picture I'm looking at something similar to this year with an early'ish HIM and then another one later on.  Which races, I'm not sure.  

I'm considering Challenge Saint Andrews as I can drive to it in ~ 4 hours.  Also considering the new HIM at Niagara Falls in September.

I'd love to do a European 70.3 and turn it into a vacation but holy cow the airfare can be expensive.  I have enough Aeroplan points to do it but they seem to tack on a ridiculously high fuel surcharge for anything crossing the Atlantic.

2013-11-14 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag Have you guys established your race schedule for 2014 ? I am struggling to figure out what I want to do.

Nope, still not sure either.  Big picture I'm looking at something similar to this year with an early'ish HIM and then another one later on.  Which races, I'm not sure.  

I'm considering Challenge Saint Andrews as I can drive to it in ~ 4 hours.  Also considering the new HIM at Niagara Falls in September.

I'd love to do a European 70.3 and turn it into a vacation but holy cow the airfare can be expensive.  I have enough Aeroplan points to do it but they seem to tack on a ridiculously high fuel surcharge for anything crossing the Atlantic.

Ya, also be careful. Air Canada is pretty cheap on bike handling, but some of their partners are not.
With Aeroplan you sometimes fly with the partner and pay their fees.

I did Miami and Vegas on Aeroplan points and 0 baggage fees because of Elite status. New rule in 2013 is Elite/Super Elite members don't pay for bikes

A race I would love to do but is Israman. The only problem is it's January and November December are reserved for getting fatter, slower and lazier. my F/S/L chart in TP is on a steady increase.

Speaking of which....do you guys adjust your FTP this time of year ?

2013-11-14 7:05 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I flew Aeroplan to Miami as well.  On the way down I didn't pay a bike fee but did pay a second bag fee.  On the way back I paid the bike fee but not a second bag fee.  I also specifically picked my flights based on the fact that I would be leaving Miami on an Air Canada flight and not United.

2013-11-14 7:20 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag

Ya, also be careful. Air Canada is pretty cheap on bike handling, but some of their partners are not. With Aeroplan you sometimes fly with the partner and pay their fees. I did Miami and Vegas on Aeroplan points and 0 baggage fees because of Elite status. New rule in 2013 is Elite/Super Elite members don't pay for bikes A race I would love to do but is Israman. The only problem is it's January and November December are reserved for getting fatter, slower and lazier. my F/S/L chart in TP is on a steady increase. Speaking of which....do you guys adjust your FTP this time of year ?

I adjust FTP as it seems appropriate for current fitness. After how well the last few workouts have gone a few watts up seems to make sense.

Haven't fully established a schedule for next year, but getting an idea. Some events haven't released their dates yet. I tend to just put up a bunch of interesting things and see what sticks. No bigger travel races this year. Seems I end up trying to do more events when I don't have the one or two to key in on.

2013-11-14 7:50 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Skip fast and flat and come do Muskoka instead - slow and steep.  That's my plan for next year, along with a couple of Sprints + Oly's, and I'm looking at doing the Around the Bay 30K.  I'm supposed to be in Europe for a couple of weeks near the end of June next year, but don't think racing will be a possibility.

2013-11-14 7:55 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Neil, you should at least try to get in a run race while there!  Where are you going, we'll pick one for you.    I have a buddy that did the 10 mile Paris - Versailles and said it was awesome.

2013-11-14 8:00 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GoFaster

Skip fast and flat and come do Muskoka instead - slow and steep.  That's my plan for next year, along with a couple of Sprints + Oly's, and I'm looking at doing the Around the Bay 30K.  I'm supposed to be in Europe for a couple of weeks near the end of June next year, but don't think racing will be a possibility.

Wait, what? Is this it? Sounds like an interesting location, but the run course looks to have more elevation than the bike course.

2013-11-14 8:04 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Wait, what? Is this it? Sounds like an interesting location, but the run course looks to have more elevation than the bike course.

That's the one and I believe that is an accurate description from what I've read.  The potential for a draft fest is elevated for sure but I doubt they are going to have anywhere near the number of entrants as a WTC race.

2013-11-14 8:35 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

We have used them on all our bikes for years and years. Speedplay recommends that you lube them every three months, but I only do ours roughly every six months. My experience has been that if you let them dry out the seals eventually shrink, you get water in them, and they get sticky like it sounds like yours have. When you inject grease into them you can tell if the seals are shot as the grease will squirt out the back of the pedal near the spindle (I have two pair that do that, so I just make sure to lube them more frequently and they are fine. It does mean you get a little grease on the spindle and bottom of your cleat from time-to-time.

I use Pedro's Syn Grease and the Pedro injector that fits the pedro tube. The screw that closes the grease port is TINY and very easy to lose, so make sure you lay down a white shop towel underneath your work area before you remove it. Also, it is very easy to strip that screw out (all but two of mine are) but don't worry about it too much - ours seem to stay in just fine even though they don't tighten up.

2013-11-14 8:44 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

I am all ove the place as well in trying to figure out the season for next year. Last year I hardly raced at all, and would really like to get back to racing a lot more this time around. Currently we have a bunch of trail races on the books for the out season, and IMMT in August, but nothing in between. On a whim I submitted an application for one of our faster local teams, but can't imagine I will make the cut - it always seems like they have plenty of reasonably fast middle-aged dudes already. If I do make the team somehow then I will pretty much race whatever events they tell me to. If I don't make the team then I will probably still race all of their races anyway just to make them sorry they didn't select me.... 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.