of 149

2013-11-22 6:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by kcarroll Rusty, I grew up in small town Georgia. Any man down there that wore "man capri's" - regardless of the tag - had better be able to run fast. 
What do they do to guys who run in their wive's lululemon shorts ?

It's all starting to make sense now.  If I want to get faster on the run, I too need to either wear capris or women's running shorts.  Is this something Shane recommends?

I hear Fred ordered a PT, and a pair of lulus, so I guess so.

2013-11-22 6:06 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by kcarroll Rusty, I grew up in small town Georgia. Any man down there that wore "man capri's" - regardless of the tag - had better be able to run fast. 

It's all starting to make sense now.  If I want to get faster on the run, I too need to either wear capris or women's running shorts.  Is this something Shane recommends?

It's part of the initiation.

2013-11-22 6:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If I want to get faster on the run, I too need to either wear capris or women's running shorts.  Is this something Shane recommends?

Another benefit of a coach. Fashion advice.....I better post that in the TT thread
2013-11-22 6:08 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Check out the section between 8:00 and 8:20.  The defining moments when I realized Ward had me.  LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=EjsJsC842Tc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEjsJsC842Tc%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop

I finally had a chance to watch this - that's pretty cool Jason!!   

What is on your knees?

2013-11-22 6:17 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Check out the section between 8:00 and 8:20.  The defining moments when I realized Ward had me.  LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=EjsJsC842Tc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEjsJsC842Tc%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop

What is on your knees?

I love the commentator

"He's walking through the aid stations, which is part of the plan.Its' much more important to get the nutrition and calories than to be in a hurry"

You wouldn't want to "hurry" at the world championships :-)
2013-11-22 9:40 PM

User image

What is on your knees?

I love the commentator "He's walking through the aid stations, which is part of the plan.Its' much more important to get the nutrition and calories than to be in a hurry" You wouldn't want to "hurry" at the world championships :-)

Just watched as well.   First off , Jason well done pacing yourself right behind Hines for maximum tv time     Second, I recognize that look on your face, oh do I recognize it....

2013-11-23 12:16 AM

User image

Those are patellar straps.  More preventative than anything.  I had a bad bout of patellar tendonitis way back when I first started running and I just kept using them ever since.  I can run without them if need be, and usually pass on them for shorter races and even a HIM...but I figured for a IM, the 10 seconds to put them on wouldn't hurt. 

2013-11-23 6:31 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

It's part of the initiation.

You guys do know Lulu Lemon sells men's clothing now, right?

Ran a 15k trail run today - one of the largest in the region with about 1500 racers spread across a 5k and 15k. Somehow managed 3rd in my AG, but with a little over a mile to go rolled my left ankle over and took a pretty hard tumble, so I shut it down and limped in. Evidently missed the foot race for 1st & 2nd AG by 2 minutes, so I don't think I lost any paces. I have a little swelling, but nothing a little ice won't fix, hopefully. I really gotta start running more than just in races, or at least sign up for a lot more races....

2013-11-23 6:52 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Heal up Rusty...,,,,,

Need helmet advice?  I use a Uvex plain wrap aero helmet.  Not the most
robust piece of equipment,.   Can get a club deal on a SPecialized Evade (Rapp wore it in IMAZ to the record) or a TT2, basically for the same price

Live in so cal so don't do that many hot races, but am doing SIlverman and NOLA 70.3 next year.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade?  It's not terribly expensive, so money really isn't the question, more about performance. 

I was thinking on this morning's ride about the cumulative effect of marginal gains.   Torhans VR, tri rig omega brake, aero helmet, wheel cover, etc.  It all adds up

2013-11-24 2:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-11-24 4:49 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Heal up Rusty...,,,,,

Need helmet advice?  I use a Uvex plain wrap aero helmet.  Not the most
robust piece of equipment,.   Can get a club deal on a SPecialized Evade (Rapp wore it in IMAZ to the record) or a TT2, basically for the same price

Live in so cal so don't do that many hot races, but am doing SIlverman and NOLA 70.3 next year.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade?  It's not terribly expensive, so money really isn't the question, more about performance. 

I was thinking on this morning's ride about the cumulative effect of marginal gains.   Torhans VR, tri rig omega brake, aero helmet, wheel cover, etc.  It all adds up

I suspect the Evade is very close aerodynamically to the TT2. Jordan stated he did not test the TT2 at the tunnel but the fact he wore the Evade kind of hints to the fact he believes or knows it's as fast.

He said McLaren is 5w faster than Evade and McLaren is faster that TT2, therefore Evade and TT2 are less than 5w apart

BTW, this is just like the Giro data where the Air Attack was a few watts slower that the Selector.

He did mention the TT2 tail probably makes it more rider dependent.

If you're buying it just for speed improvements, I suspect there won't be much but it really depends on how your current helmet works with your position/body.

Your fitter at Ero would be the best guy to ask.

2013-11-24 4:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy
Ran a 15k trail run today - one of the largest in the region with about 1500 racers spread across a 5k and 15k. Somehow managed 3rd in my AG,

Nice ! Congratulations

Originally posted by TankBoy
rolled my left ankle over and took a pretty hard tumble,

Not so nice. Heal up quick

2013-11-24 7:27 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by TankBoyRan a 15k trail run today - one of the largest in the region with about 1500 racers spread across a 5k and 15k. Somehow managed 3rd in my AG, but with a little over a mile to go rolled my left ankle over and took a pretty hard tumble, so I shut it down and limped in. Evidently missed the foot race for 1st & 2nd AG by 2 minutes, so I don't think I lost any paces. I have a little swelling, but nothing a little ice won't fix, hopefully. I really gotta start running more than just in races, or at least sign up for a lot more races....

Nice race, Rusty. Hope the ankle heals up quickly.
2013-11-24 6:09 PM

I had a great ride today.  Went on my favorite climb...conditions were cool and dry.  I purposely rode really easy throughout the week to give my legs a bit of recovery as I struggled on this ride last week.

2 climbs.  Last week 31:45 and 27:50, at 212 and 241 watts respectively.  This week 27:55 and 25:55 at 251 and 276 watts respectively.  Starting to feel like a cyclist again.  Nowhere near where I want to be 6-8 months from now, but pretty good for this time of year.

2013-11-24 7:13 PM

General entry for Honu just sold out.  Wow...faster and faster each year.  Amazing because about 3/4 of the athletes are NOT from Hawaii.  Good to see that the race is continuing to thrive.

2013-11-25 2:51 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I had a great ride today.  Went on my favorite climb...conditions were cool and dry.  I purposely rode really easy throughout the week to give my legs a bit of recovery as I struggled on this ride last week.

2 climbs.  Last week 31:45 and 27:50, at 212 and 241 watts respectively.  This week 27:55 and 25:55 at 251 and 276 watts respectively.  Starting to feel like a cyclist again.  Nowhere near where I want to be 6-8 months from now, but pretty good for this time of year.

Nice work Jason!  

Every time I see you do that Tantalus ride on Strava I think of the Michael Crichton' book - Micro.

2013-11-25 2:53 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

General entry for Honu just sold out.  Wow...faster and faster each year.  Amazing because about 3/4 of the athletes are NOT from Hawaii.  Good to see that the race is continuing to thrive.

Wow, that's great!  I hadn't completely discounted that race for next year yet.  I was waiting to see if I could get decently priced flights.  I guess that seals the deal.  

2013-11-25 12:33 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
A while back I posted the qualifying times for the world masters swim camps in Montreal this summer.
It turns out they are Long course meters, which is about 2sec/100m slower than a 25m pool

I did a swim meet this weekend and qualified in the 100, missed the 200 by 1 sec and the 400 by 18 sec
I profiled all these numbers and it looks like I have some speed but no endurance, which I guess is a good problem to have except I need to train a lot

The good news is although I was 15sec off in the 400, I was 15 sec faster than my PB from last spring, so there is hope. Lots of work, but hope.

Edited by marcag 2013-11-25 12:39 PM
2013-11-25 12:43 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nice Marc!  So are ya going?  The 15 sec improvement in the 400 is a nice jump.

2013-11-25 1:10 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag A while back I posted the qualifying times for the world masters swim camps in Montreal this summer. It turns out they are Long course meters, which is about 2sec/100m slower than a 25m pool I did a swim meet this weekend and qualified in the 100, missed the 200 by 1 sec and the 400 by 18 sec I profiled all these numbers and it looks like I have some speed but no endurance, which I guess is a good problem to have except I need to train a lot The good news is although I was 15sec off in the 400, I was 15 sec faster than my PB from last spring, so there is hope. Lots of work, but hope.

Curious too. Are you looking to go? I'm about the same time off for each of the 100 & 200, so have the reverse profile you do. Can't really sprint, but can hold it for awhile. Drives up the curiosity for the 400 & 800. Though not sure of a meet in the area with an 800. One takes an 800 split out of the 1500, but that seems hard to do. Not sure I could afford to go if I even make qualification times, but have to do that first.

2013-11-25 1:54 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Wow, well if I was 45-50 years old and those were yard times and not meters we could talk ha.

hit 412 TSS on the bike last week and 70+ more today.  I was also in the pool 4 times and seem to be making some great improvements already in just a short period.  Pretty happy so far.

I have another 1650 test in the pool Wednesday and FTP test next week.  The numbers shall speak .

2013-11-25 1:55 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Wow, that's great!  I hadn't completely discounted that race for next year yet.  I was waiting to see if I could get decently priced flights.  I guess that seals the deal.  

That would have been one long plane ride for you Arend!

2013-11-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: rymac

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by rymac

That would have been one long plane ride for you Arend!

I've done it a few times.  It's 18 hours (flying time plus stopovers) at best, usually more like 22.  One time we somehow had flights line up perfectly and it was only 15.  Definitely not a weekend type of trip!

2013-11-25 2:21 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

Curious too. Are you looking to go? I'm about the same time off for each of the 100 & 200, so have the reverse profile you do. Can't really sprint, but can hold it for awhile. Drives up the curiosity for the 400 & 800. Though not sure of a meet in the area with an 800. One takes an 800 split out of the 1500, but that seems hard to do. Not sure I could afford to go if I even make qualification times, but have to do that first.

Yes, I will probably go. But I want to qualify for the 200. By the way, you do not need to qualify. Anyone can come. But if you don't meet the standard at the meet, you are DNF'd.

I did post something on ST and I have a couple of discussions with a couple of people and I am zeroing in on what I need to improve

The obvious is I am a faster short distance than long distance. My first reaction was this is the wrong way to be.
Now I am thinking it's not so bad to be good at 200m

It hit me when Rappstar posted that to be a top pro you needed to be 2:10 for 200lcm. I asked "why 200m as a reference". The answer was that to follow the top guys, you needed to surge and to surge you needed 200m speed. That's point A

Then triathlete.com posted an article (today) that drafting saves 5-10s/100m. Cool. But the problem I always had was finding some to draft. At the beginning of the race it's a mess, no way you can find the right guy.

A few minutes into the race you should be able to find the guys around your speed. If you draft them, sure you get some energy savings. But you are not going faster.

So going back to point A, if you start the race, consider it a surge, ignore everyone, go hard, then after a few minutes, the fast guys are around. Latch on to their feet, but even if they are 3-4 secs faster at their HIM or IM pace, who cares, you are benefiting from their draft and you are at your normal effort, but 4 secs faster. Jordan is chasing the first or second group, hence his need to surge. I am chasing the guy 5sec/100m faster than me.

So short distance (200-300m) speed is important. If you have the choice to improve 200m speed or 1500m I wonder which is more valuable

Is the theory nuts ?

PS : It sucks to be Arend :-) You will always be a draftee and not a drafter :-) Like seriously, how many people actually go faster ? The only advantage is the fast guys are probably easier to spot when everyone else is behind.

Edited by marcag 2013-11-25 2:38 PM
2013-11-25 2:27 PM
in reply to: rymac

Originally posted by rymac

Wow, well if I was 45-50 years old and those were yard times and not meters we could talk ha.

hit 412 TSS on the bike last week and 70+ more today.  I was also in the pool 4 times and seem to be making some great improvements already in just a short period.  Pretty happy so far.

I have another 1650 test in the pool Wednesday and FTP test next week.  The numbers shall speak .

Nice.  I had a nice strong ride into work today.  Legs felt great.  I'm slowly learning though that I can't ride hard everyday and managing my weekly (and day to day) TSS is going to be more and more important for me. 

Does anyone besides Fred use the premium version of Strava?  I currently use WKO+ to manage my power data, but it's a bit limited since all the data is only available on my home PC.  Wondering how any of you like it and would you consider it viable as a power management software.  Pros and cons vs WKO+ or Golden Cheetah?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.