BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-09 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2781560

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
tritiny - 2010-04-09 8:52 PM i just sent my registration for my first triathlon The Dog House Sprint on May 16 in Lubbock Tx .  It's a Sprint 500 m swim 17.6 mile ride and a 5k run.  Kinda scary and a little nervous. By chance has anyone done this race?

Tiana 

CONGRATS!!!!!  you're first one!!! very exciting!!!!

I see there are 3 race reports.  here. (see middle of page"view members race reports") they are pretty light.

part of a 70.3 i did was on this course.  you'll be able to wear a wetsuit and they'll have strippers it looks like to help you out of it when you come out of the water.  should be a nice swim.

there's a hill coming out of transition that is a little steep.  make sure that your bike is an easy gear when you rack it in the morning.  a few more hills but the rest is flat.  you cross a dam which is kinda cool.  isee in your logs that you've been riding in some wind.  that's good cause it might be up.  especially when you get out of the canyon.

the run is awesome.  flat.  you turn around right by the first hill on the 70.3 course.  that hill sucked.  to make it worse there's a house at the base of the hill that people were bbq'ing at and pounding beer as i ran by.  i cried. 

if you get a chance to drive into the park before had do so.  just remember to tell the gate people you just want to check it out and you're not staying.  otherwise they charge you to get in.

the race director is a very cool, unique, but cool guy.  he runs good races.

what else?  ask whatever questions you want!  training or race related.  i give accurate and well informed advice on an anything really.   

2010-04-09 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2781208

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2010-04-09 5:07 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-09 4:41 PM
dalessit - 2010-04-09 3:57 PM
DougRob - 2010-04-09 2:56 PM
tahrens - 2010-04-09 2:26 PM
swbkrun - 2010-04-09 1:36 PM Good Reads....

Okay, I'm going to open a whole can of worms here, but I'm sure many of the other mom's in this group will back me up. Steve, pay close attention to the things mentioned in that article.  Ever since my girls were born I can not jump on a trampoline or do jumping jacks without peeing myself and for the first 4 months I had to learn to run without peeing on myself.  I am convinced some of the issues I am having with my hips and this injury are from giving birth to 2 thanksgiving turkeys, and  I blame the residual layer of fat over my tummy on them as well.  Not that I would change any of it, but get ready to hear about bodily complaints you would have never thought Kim would have. Wink 

I never even heard the word episiotomy before my wife gave birth to our kids. Our experienes have parallels to yours, although I have never seen Robin on a trampoline and she did not pee herself AFAIK.

Yep, I am pretty sure it's more painful to listen to all the whining they do vs. actually giving birth ; )

c-section's here.  so wasn't bad!

OH -  I see wasn't bad, huh?  c-section here too buddy and let me tell that being gutted is not fun!!!!!!!!!!  I still get sharp pains around my scar and have places on no feeling.  Hummmm - I'd like to hear Jarrett weigh in on that one.

that pain is in your a$$ and its called tony.  she'll weigh in alright.  on what a great husband i am.  i watched all three sections.  june was crazy cause she was way up.  the doc was in up to his shoulder it seemed.  kinda crazy how they lay all your guts out up on your chest.
2010-04-09 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2781418

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
GoFaster - 2010-04-09 8:42 PM Okay, got to ask - who is the resident power expert?  Since I'm all tricked out with my new powertap, I now need to learn how to use it properly.  Oh, and my watts/kg currently suck, big time.

I would say first thing would be to read Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan.  Pretty much the bible of training with a power meter.  It has all the info on doing your FTP tests which you will pretty much need for any power based training plans.

I am actually heading to bed but I can post a bit more tomorrow.

2010-04-09 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2781588

User image

Extreme Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-09 10:17 PM
tritiny - 2010-04-09 8:52 PM i just sent my registration for my first triathlon The Dog House Sprint on May 16 in Lubbock Tx .  It's a Sprint 500 m swim 17.6 mile ride and a 5k run.  Kinda scary and a little nervous. By chance has anyone done this race?

Tiana 

CONGRATS!!!!!  you're first one!!! very exciting!!!!

I see there are 3 race reports.  here. (see middle of page"view members race reports") they are pretty light.

part of a 70.3 i did was on this course.  you'll be able to wear a wetsuit and they'll have strippers it looks like to help you out of it when you come out of the water.  should be a nice swim.

there's a hill coming out of transition that is a little steep.  make sure that your bike is an easy gear when you rack it in the morning.  a few more hills but the rest is flat.  you cross a dam which is kinda cool.  isee in your logs that you've been riding in some wind.  that's good cause it might be up.  especially when you get out of the canyon.

the run is awesome.  flat.  you turn around right by the first hill on the 70.3 course.  that hill sucked.  to make it worse there's a house at the base of the hill that people were bbq'ing at and pounding beer as i ran by.  i cried. 

if you get a chance to drive into the park before had do so.  just remember to tell the gate people you just want to check it out and you're not staying.  otherwise they charge you to get in.

the race director is a very cool, unique, but cool guy.  he runs good races.

what else?  ask whatever questions you want!  training or race related.  i give accurate and well informed advice on an beer and Mexican food, and I make up stuff that sounds good with respect to anything else really.   

Fixed that for ya.  No need to thank me.
2010-04-09 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2781520

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Innocent  Are you kidding me?  Good Luck/Congrats I guess?

Keep it up!

Edited by swbkrun 2010-04-10 12:08 AM
2010-04-09 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2781520

User image

Master
tjtryon - 2010-04-09 8:34 PM Short break for me. 13.1 done so far and you know what? I feel like I've run a half marathon. Still hoping to get 50k more done before the sun comes up. Mile 8.5 was the occasion of a pie eating contest (I won) - don't know if the inclusion of that was smart in a run. I feel fat, but still capable of an all nighter.

Holy mackeral!! What kind of pie?

Keep it up and have a great night! You are awesome and amazing and inspiring. Can't wait to read how it all turns out!!

2010-04-09 11:22 PM
in reply to: #2781418

User image

Veteran
GoFaster - 2010-04-09 5:42 PM

Okay, got to ask - who is the resident power expert?  Since I'm all tricked out with my new powertap, I now need to learn how to use it properly.  Oh, and my watts/kg currently suck, big time.

I'm certainly no expert, but I like to dabble in power and wattage. I have an SRM, not at PT, but the training concepts are the same. Tony clearly knows his stuff too, and I second his recommendation on Training and Racing...; it's an excellent book and really lays out the groundwork for how to effectively use your PT. Although I haven't read it, I've also heard good things about The Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power, by Dr. Philip Skiba. His website is here.

Sometimes power talk get a little too technically-oriented and boring for some here, so if you have some more questions or thoughts, feel free to email me: ryan at fpasset dot com.

2010-04-09 11:26 PM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: Resources for running form
Hi All,

Does anyone have any good links to sites/youtube videos etc. that detail good running form? I've have had repeated ankle injuries from trail running years ago that I'd like to make sure don't come back to haunt me as my mileage per week increases...

Thanks!

Also, g?reat group btw, but how are you all managing the form postings? I note all the posts so far have the same subject, so threaded views don't really tell me much and I haven't been able to log in enough to follow the flat???????? ?f?o?r?m?a?t view...  
2010-04-09 11:51 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

TJ- Keep it up!  I'll check in on you first thing tomorrow.

John-  Are you really asking for brownie points for "watching".  Really?  You Soooo don't want to go there.  

No beer for you! (soup nazi).

Just got done watching Ferris Buller with the Exhibits.  Now they want a "Day Off".    Come to think of it so do I. Well that or a maid.  Actually let's go with maid.  Tomorrow is going to be ugly as I need to face the house in the light of day.  I'm also trying to take the boys to Bandera to go fishing and hiking tomorrow at a new park we haven't been too. Crossing my fingers for lots of energy tomorrow.

2010-04-10 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2781388

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-04-09 7:27 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-09 6:54 PM slacks. 

do you by chance drive a white 630i rag top?

Weird. I thought I answered this and my answer isn't here. Maybe I can't figure out which buttons to push to post an actual message.

Anyway, the answer went something like this:

No, I drive a white minivan. Or a white Camry. Or a blue Lemond Versailles. Or a green Diamondback. And maybe next week (one can hope??), I can add a new color to the cycling arsenal.

If you think you saw me cruisin' around in a 630i rag top, 'twasn't I, as I was busy at home testing the elasticity of my driveway. (It's not very forgiving, in case you were wondering.

oh no.  it wasn't me that thought they saw you.  some other guy wrote about it here.

so funny that kelly mentions ferris.  last post has this.. "in the words of ferris buehler, "it is so choice. if you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up" ;)" 

HA!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-10 6:08 AM
2010-04-10 6:30 AM
in reply to: #2781715

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
ryanp100 - 2010-04-10 12:22 AM
GoFaster - 2010-04-09 5:42 PM Okay, got to ask - who is the resident power expert?  Since I'm all tricked out with my new powertap, I now need to learn how to use it properly.  Oh, and my watts/kg currently suck, big time.
I'm certainly no expert, but I like to dabble in power and wattage. I have an SRM, not at PT, but the training concepts are the same. Tony clearly knows his stuff too, and I second his recommendation on Training and Racing...; it's an excellent book and really lays out the groundwork for how to effectively use your PT. Although I haven't read it, I've also heard good things about The Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power, by Dr. Philip Skiba. His website is here. Sometimes power talk get a little too technically-oriented and boring for some here, so if you have some more questions or thoughts, feel free to email me: ryan at fpasset dot com.

IMO the best thing about the Power Meter is giving you zones with which to use when working out.  Pretty much the same as HR zones for the run.  Takes a lot of the guess work out of it when racing, you have a wattage zone you stick to and that's pretty much it.  Don't have to worry about speed.  If 200 watts is 25 mph due to course being flat, great, if it's 15 mph due to it being hilly, so be it, you can't make up watts on race day and if you try you'll just run out of power after awhile.

2010-04-10 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2781829

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
 Hope everyone has a great weekend either racing or training.  It is about to be the time for all to be racing or "getting ready" to race most every weekend......wish I was in that group. 

Beautiful day here in the Atl. area and wishing you good weather and less pollen.

Steve

2010-04-10 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Good morning MG! I rode my bike yesterday... outside on the roads... and no foot pain! It felt so great to finally get outside and be active again!!! My foot doesn't feel any worse than normal this morning. So, I'd say I'm back in business on the bike. So incredibly happy about that!

Also picked up my new aero bars from REI last night to put on my Kestrel. I'll post pics when I get her all decked out!

Good luck to everyone racing!!!
2010-04-10 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2781933

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
RoniS - 2010-04-10 8:29 AM Good morning MG! I rode my bike yesterday... outside on the roads... and no foot pain! It felt so great to finally get outside and be active again!!! My foot doesn't feel any worse than normal this morning. So, I'd say I'm back in business on the bike. So incredibly happy about that!

Also picked up my new aero bars from REI last night to put on my Kestrel. I'll post pics when I get her all decked out!

Good luck to everyone racing!!!

Woo Hoo - so happy to hear the foot is coming around!  Still jealous of your Hawaii trip.  Definitely want pics when you get back.  :-)
2010-04-10 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
I'm a little late to the party but good luck to all of those racing this weekend. 
2010-04-10 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Thanks Sam! I'm still going to miss you guys in Galveston, but Maui does take the sting out a bit. Maybe that should be our next meet up... swbkrn in hawaii!

2010-04-10 11:09 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
BOOM. Last longer trainer ride before TX is done. 2 1/2 hrs.
 Bring it Macca.

Off to swimming lessons with the girls. I'm PB'ing my 10k tomorrow. just sayin'

Edited by TrevorC 2010-04-10 11:10 AM
2010-04-10 12:55 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Time for me to go sit in the naughty chair....my head told me to love Z2 for this race, but the little mini me on my shoulder told me to love Z4 instead.  I honestly think my zones are totally whacked after my fourth month hiatus....so I am going to call it a solid Z3 effort.  Are you with me?

I had a great time,  it felt totally awesome to be a runner again....and our team finished second in our AG!!! 

PS I have decided that ultra runners an entirely different breed...the 100k'ers were running 10 loops of a very hilly inner city arboretum...there were several that were just chewing it up and several more that were looking totally chewed up by the time I left.  They have 13 hours to finish it and since it is the National Championships...the winner will probably be done in a 6-7 hours.  Unreal.

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-04-10 1:12 PM
2010-04-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2782214

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2010-04-10 12:55 PM

Time for me to go sit in the naughty chair....my head told me to love Z2 for this race, but the little mini me on my shoulder told me to love Z4 instead.  I honestly think my zones are totally whacked after my fourth month hiatus....so I am going to call it a solid Z3 effort.  Are you with me?

I had a great time,  it felt totally awesome to be a runner again....and our team finished second in our AG!!! 

PS I have decided that ultra runners an entirely different breed...the 100k'ers were running 10 loops of a very hilly inner city arboretum...there were several that were just chewing it up and several more that were looking totally chewed up by the time I left.  They have 13 hours to finish it and since it is the National Championships...the winner will probably be done in a 6-7 hours.  Unreal.

AWESOME, Suzy!!! That is so cool!! Very glad to hear you embraced your inner Z3. I know you just felt awesome being out there and competing.

And yeah, the ultra folk are a different crowd. I used to want to be one of them... but really, I don't anymore. Being an IM (hopeful) breed is probably gonna cap my endurance efforts. Well, really I'd like to do at least one ultra (50K) but I am not at all interested in those 100-mile races, through streams, over hill and dale, etc.

I bet it was cool to see them gunning for it though, both the chewers and the chewees.

2010-04-10 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2781821

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-10 6:03 AM
kkcbelle - 2010-04-09 7:27 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-09 6:54 PM slacks. 

do you by chance drive a white 630i rag top?

Weird. I thought I answered this and my answer isn't here. Maybe I can't figure out which buttons to push to post an actual message.

Anyway, the answer went something like this:

No, I drive a white minivan. Or a white Camry. Or a blue Lemond Versailles. Or a green Diamondback. And maybe next week (one can hope??), I can add a new color to the cycling arsenal.

If you think you saw me cruisin' around in a 630i rag top, 'twasn't I, as I was busy at home testing the elasticity of my driveway. (It's not very forgiving, in case you were wondering.

oh no.  it wasn't me that thought they saw you.  some other guy wrote about it here.

so funny that kelly mentions ferris.  last post has this.. "in the words of ferris buehler, "it is so choice. if you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up"

HA!

I'll keep my spandex comments to myself.

Funny, we were talking Ferris Bueller here yesterday. Our kids are still a wee bit too young for it, but they like the idea. We're more in the Home Alone stage for movie pranksters... it's what my son wanted to watch yesterday with his grandparents for his bday. Cute.
2010-04-10 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Roni: glad to hear your foot is coming round.

Trevor> Now after that big talk about tomorows run lets not back it up with an incredibly mediocre performance. Just saying man.

Suzy. Are you just a wee bit crazy ( no pun intended on size). Take it easy you don't want to re injure yourself. Listen to your coach/trainer and not that shoulder jockey who is just along for the ride

Edited by Redknight 2010-04-10 2:15 PM

2010-04-10 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good job Suzy!  That must have been a great feeling for you and to place high like that too.

I did the Gateway tri this morning and feel mostly good about it.  Biggest issue I had was tight hamstrings coming off the bike into the run.  They never really loosened up for the 3 miles of the run.  But, I am really pleased to have another tri on my list showing DONE!  It felt great! Smile

I will get the race report done later today.  Thanks everyone for the good wishes and inspires!
2010-04-10 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2782324

User image

Elite
san francisco
gdctex - 2010-04-10 12:53 PM Good job Suzy!  That must have been a great feeling for you and to place high like that too.

I did the Gateway tri this morning and feel mostly good about it.  Biggest issue I had was tight hamstrings coming off the bike into the run.  They never really loosened up for the 3 miles of the run.  But, I am really pleased to have another tri on my list showing DONE!  It felt great! Smile

I will get the race report done later today.  Thanks everyone for the good wishes and inspires!

Nice, Glen!  Tough with the hammies, but you got it done!  Hope you rewarded yourself with a yummy lunch!  Looking forward to the RR! 
2010-04-10 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2782214

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2010-04-10 10:55 AM

Hey, if you say it was Z3, then it was Z3!  Good job twin!  Ice that puppy and be good to it. 
Just wondering, if it feels fine today and tomorrow, do you think Coach will let you run the HIM?
2010-04-10 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Hello all.

I just wanted to come and brag about my ride this morning. I took the new tri bike out for her second ride and had just an awesome time. Averaged 16MPH which is what I ended last season at. It is slow for some of you speedsters out there but this puts a big smile on my face. (This time last year I was averaging 12-13MPH) I can definitely tell that this season is going to give me great improvements in my cycling which hopefully should also result in great strides in my running.

34 mile ride this AM. HR 151 Average and cadence average was 70.

I am very excited for my rest day tomorrow!!!

Edited by stefanier 2010-04-10 4:33 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328