BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-07 2:22 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Hair Challenge
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

I did however find that swimming a few normal laps with the fins gave me a better "feel" for the water with my feet. Maybe it's the wrong "feel" but it seems like the fins showed what it feels like to have pressure on top and bottom of my foot in a kick. Is this weird?

Hey, if it works and makes you better, no argument from me. The one thing I found I do like about fins is the additional pressure they put on my calves. I've found late in swims, especially in hard workouts, I get cramping in my calves. The fins put extra work on my calves and sort of induce the fatigue more quickly...leading to cramps. But at least I can train for it.

Steve

2014-01-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
For what it is worth, I don't use fins, I do use a pull-buoy once in a blue moon, and I don't do flip turns. I also don't swim with a wetsuit in a race unless the water is really cold. I don't have any really good reasons for any of those choices. I'm just an old guy who is too set in his ways, I guess!

Dang it is cold. And I can't really complain as it was zero here this morning which is balmy compared to those of you in the Northeast or Midwest.

Off to a good start this week despite the weather and work kicking in. And my starting weight for the contest was 209 on Monday morning. Yes, I gained 3 pounds over Christmas and New Year's. But looking at the big picture / long run, I managed to lose a whole pound in 2013. Well, it's a start...

Stu
2014-01-07 7:27 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all having a good training week.

I spoke to the guy who talked (coerced) me into joining him for the sprint in June. He lives 10 minutes from the race site and has access to train there as needed.

I was wondering about a few things after talking to Rob:

1. Wetsuits are the uniform of the day for the swim since its held in early June. I don't own a wetsuit, but thinking if I get a sleeveless one, it should provide enough warmth and buoyancy without restricting arm/shoulder movements. Is this true? I'd say we're talking about 65 degree water in an inland Ct pond in early June. Also, If I decide to buy one, any benefits to buying one now versus in the spring? Is there any period of adjustment when swimming with the wetsuit?

2. I'm currently riding a mountain bike and I know this is a disadvantage on the road. I'm considering several options from less to more expensive: 1) buy a used road bike and get a proper bike fit from my local bike shop. 2) buy a new starter level road bike. . 3) Go all in and get a higher end bike from the start.

Since I just finished putting child #2 through college and child #3 still has two years of school remaining, I don't have an unlimited "Fun Budget". With that said, I'm leaning towards option #1or #2 as a starting point until I see how committed I am to continuing the pursuit.

I'm mulling this stuff over during my stints on the treadmill. I'd welcome any opinions or suggestions from this group on any or all of the above.

Thanks,

Dave (1 of 2 Dave's in Connecticut.)

2014-01-07 7:45 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Dave,

65 degrees is cold in a sleeveless, you may want full sleeves....but then I personally find the shoulder movement limited in a full.  The advantage of ordering a wetsuit earlier is time to practice in it.  You might be able to rent one from a local tri shop but then you won't have the advantage of training in it in advance.  I have swam in water that cold, either double up your cap or spring for a neoprene one---and wear ear plugs cause it cuts down on the dizziness when that cold water gets into your inner ear.

As to the bike....it's your first tri. --I did my first tri on a hybrid and while it stunk miserably it was the right move to not sink a lot of money into gear until I knew if I wanted to stick with it.  If you get a used bike, make sure you have a good idea for fit before dropping money.....if you get a new entry level road bike the fit is still key.  

Kathy lives up there and could probably chime in on water temps for other races in RI/ CT area early season.  

2014-01-07 8:11 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Originally posted by DJP_19 Hi everyone, Hope you're all having a good training week. I spoke to the guy who talked (coerced) me into joining him for the sprint in June. He lives 10 minutes from the race site and has access to train there as needed. I was wondering about a few things after talking to Rob: 1. Wetsuits are the uniform of the day for the swim since its held in early June. I don't own a wetsuit, but thinking if I get a sleeveless one, it should provide enough warmth and buoyancy without restricting arm/shoulder movements. Is this true? I'd say we're talking about 65 degree water in an inland Ct pond in early June. Also, If I decide to buy one, any benefits to buying one now versus in the spring? Is there any period of adjustment when swimming with the wetsuit? 2. I'm currently riding a mountain bike and I know this is a disadvantage on the road. I'm considering several options from less to more expensive: 1) buy a used road bike and get a proper bike fit from my local bike shop. 2) buy a new starter level road bike. . 3) Go all in and get a higher end bike from the start. Since I just finished putting child #2 through college and child #3 still has two years of school remaining, I don't have an unlimited "Fun Budget". With that said, I'm leaning towards option #1or #2 as a starting point until I see how committed I am to continuing the pursuit. I'm mulling this stuff over during my stints on the treadmill. I'd welcome any opinions or suggestions from this group on any or all of the above. Thanks, Dave (1 of 2 Dave's in Connecticut.)

Dave,

Unlike Judi I find 65-68 degree water fairly comfortable especially for a short race.  A lot will depend on the air temp as well as you really don't want to come out of the water cold before getting on the bike.  I have only worn a wet suit once (for a HIM in September in Maine) and just am not a fan despite the advantage it is supposed to give. . I think if you like cooler water temps a sleeveless would be fine but I may be the exception on that. You can also buy  sleeves to wear if needed which would give you a lot of flexibility but is more to change out of for a sprint.  I went into the bay at 38 degrees on New Years and loved it so there it is.

As for the bike, this is a great time to shop for last year's models at discount prices.  I would check with a local bike shop about what they have and pay for a good fit.  A nice bike at a great price that doesn't fit you right will not be worth it.  You might be able to find something you will enjoy riding for many years.

2014-01-07 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by DJP_19

1. Wetsuits are the uniform of the day for the swim since its held in early June. I don't own a wetsuit, but thinking if I get a sleeveless one, it should provide enough warmth and buoyancy without restricting arm/shoulder movements. Is this true? I'd say we're talking about 65 degree water in an inland Ct pond in early June. Also, If I decide to buy one, any benefits to buying one now versus in the spring? Is there any period of adjustment when swimming with the wetsuit?

2. I'm currently riding a mountain bike and I know this is a disadvantage on the road. I'm considering several options from less to more expensive: 1) buy a used road bike and get a proper bike fit from my local bike shop. 2) buy a new starter level road bike. . 3) Go all in and get a higher end bike from the start.

Hi Dave,

I did an Olympic length in a sleeveless last year with 59 degree water. Can't say it was enjoyable, but it was sufficient for me. I bought sleeveless b/c of the concern about restriction as well. I still think it is a weird feeling, but I was glad to have mine that day! If you purchase instead of rent, definitely try it out a few times before the race. It takes a little getting used to and read up on tips for getting in and out of them.

I rode a mountain bike the first two years I did tris. I had fun. Bike times were slower and took more energy, but I was doing them for the experience at that point and I already had a mountain bike. I was also heavier at that point in time which was a far bigger (literally) problem than my bike. Heck, when I finally did buy a road bike (and not a very fancy one), it was something to look forward to and I got a kick out of improving my time. So, I guess it really depends on you. When it comes to music, I'm totally the opposite... get a nice instrument because you'll enjoy playing it more... sounds better (less frustrating)... better investment... more motivated to play. I think the same holds true for tri gear (except maybe the investment part). My main original goal was getting in shape, so the harder the bike ride, the better workout... and it was still fun to me. But I could easily argue the other way. I've really enjoyed having a road bike, and now, 5 years later, with daughter closing in on finishing college... well... maybe time to finally go all in :-)

Whatever you decide - have fun!

Stu

2014-01-07 8:26 PM
in reply to: KOM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by KOM

I went into the bay at 38 degrees on New Years and loved it so there it is

Consider the source, that's all I'm sayin'
2014-01-07 8:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Since I just finished putting child #2 through college and child #3 still has two years of school remaining, I don't have an unlimited "Fun Budget". With that said, I'm leaning towards option #1or #2 as a starting point until I see how committed I am to continuing the pursuit.

I'm mulling this stuff over during my stints on the treadmill. I'd welcome any opinions or suggestions from this group on any or all of the above.

Thanks,

Hey Dave -

65 degrees is kinda right on the border between a sleeveless and a full wetsuit.  Depending upon how good (or not so good?) your swim is, you may be in the water for 15-20 minutes.  Maybe longer.  What is your tolerance for cold?  I would probably wear a sleeveless, but I use to go out in my short pants and a tank top and fire up the barbeque when it was 10 degrees back in Indiana so not sure I am a good guide.

Whatever you decide, make sure you wear it in training several times before race day.  It will be different.  There is an old saying that applies here, "Nothing new on race day."

On the bike, unless your thinking your going to podium finish, maybe just put smooth tires on and do it on your mountain bike if it is close to being the right size.  This is your first Tri and it's a sprint.  I guarantee you, there will be other people on mountain bikes, maybe not a lot, but they will be there, probably more than one or two on beach cruisers.  I have a friend, actually the one that challenged me and got me on the triathlon road, that rode a mountain bike in his first Kona IM back in '94 (he has since graduated to a tri-bike).  I will tell you a little story about my bike journey since it directly applies.  When I started out, I figured I would use the Schwinn 10-speed that I rode back in high-school.  Except when I pulled it down out of the rafters after 30 years, the crank was rusted solid.  Couldn't get it to break lose, plan 'B' was to ride my mountain bike.  That was working fine until I started worrying about what everyone thought as I rode by, so I went and bought an entry level Trek 1.2 - paid something like $1,000 give or take.  That worked really well . . . at first.  I had a 'real' bike, it said Trek on the downtube telling the world I had a real bike and I was happy.  For about a month.  Then I started wishing I was still on the mountain bike because I had more gears on the MB.  So, I went out and bought a high end Trek rode bike.  Now the $1,000 road bike sits in the garage collecting dust.  Then at Christmas, Mrs. Claus 'surprised' me with a Tri-bike, which is where I really wanted to be all along.  Looking back, I kinda wish I had stayed on the mountain bike until I knew what I wanted out of a bike.  I could have saved at least the 1.2 purchase, and probably would have gone with a much 'lower' high end bike, certainly I would not have paid to put the Dura-Ace drivetrain on it.  I could have easily saved $2,000 - 3,000.

Just my two cents.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-07 8:58 PM
2014-01-07 9:02 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Scott, Will be out to see my mom. She' lives with my brother in Sherman Oaks. You're down in Riverside? Travel distances are big out west. I Be doing any swimming at the Department of Recreation Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks pool. It's 21 here today can't wait.

Sherman Oaks is a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive in traffic, so maybe not.  There really isn't even a good beach we could meet at 'half-way.'  Oh well, have a good time.  Today was COLD out here, only got up to 68!

2014-01-07 9:08 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Hi everyone,

I spoke to the guy who talked (coerced) me into joining him for the sprint in June. He lives 10 minutes from the race site and has access to train there as needed.

Thanks,

OK - I consider myself a pretty good bargain hunter and who doesn't like getting a deal.

With four children and with #1 going off to college next year I was definitely on a budget so I will fill you in on what I did last year.

First off I scoured craigslist and ebay for both a bike and wetsuit.

Go to some Tri shops and try some wetsuits on to find out what size you should take, they do vary by brand. Tip; use disposable plastic shopping bags on your feet to help slip the suit on. Watch some you tube videos on how to put the wetsuit on and how it should fit.

I actually winded up buying a used rental blueseventy at a Boston Tri shop for $70 because it had a broken zipper. I sent it to this lady in California who is an absolute miracle worker - suit is better than new. She really knows the proper way to do repairs and is very reasonably priced. Here is her site: http://www.expresswetsuit.com.Don't shy away from used suits with fingernail cuts either, like I said this women practically made them disappear.

On the bike front I feel like I stole a one year old Giant Defy 3 on craigslist in January for $250 (List $800) . The bike looked brand new and was mostly used in a trainer. Hey, it isn't Steves carbon wonder machine but I don't think I am going to the world AG championships anytime soon either. As already suggested go to some shops to see what size fits you best. You will be at a big disadvantage riding a trail bike but it would be OK if this is a onetime deal but if you are going to do more tris step up to a road bike, it makes a huge difference. Be careful buying a used bike though and don't go too old.

The best part is enjoy the hunt for your gear and have fun!

James

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-01-07 9:24 PM
2014-01-07 9:26 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Connecticut
Dave (DJP_19)

I would suggest the possibility of renting a suit for your 1st tri. I did this last year and was glad I did for a couple of reasons. I used wetsuitrental.com and they were terrific. First of all, they sent me the wetsuit about a week before the race so I was able to swim in it a few times before actually racing in it. This was very helpful and also gave me time to practice putting it on and taking it off. As funny as that might sound, it does take some getting used to. The thing that amazed me the most was how much buoyancy they provide. As far as sleeveless/full, I think that may come down to personal preference. I rented and later ended up purchasing a full sleeve. Water temp was about 70 deg. but I think I still would have been cold in a sleeveless. The other nice thing about the rental co. is that if you like the suit you rented, you can purchase it and they will apply $60 of the $75 rental fee towards the purchase price.

If you are leaning towards purchasing check out the xterra website. They run some pretty good deals and I think BT even has a discount code you can use (not positive about that).

Good luck and remember that you don't have to rush into anything.

Dave (TTTG)

2014-01-07 9:33 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by juneapple

Originally posted by KOM

I went into the bay at 38 degrees on New Years and loved it so there it is

Consider the source, that's all I'm sayin'

Judi, Kathy, Stu;

Thanks for your collective insights. Seems like I'm not too far out in left field thinking about a wetsuit and getting it early to allow for practice time. I like the idea of sleeveless as less constricting.

Regarding the bike, I'm going to shop around a bit, but don't see this as a first time high end purchase for me based on all the reasons given.

Stu - I understand your position relative to musical instruments. In my case, that is my logic when picking a field bred Labrador Retriever pup to train.

Kathy: regarding your preferred swimming temps and Stu's impression of same: I appreciate your enthusiasm for a little fresh air and cool ocean water in January.

2014-01-07 11:22 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Hi everyone,

1. Wetsuits are the uniform of the day for the swim since its held in early June.

2. I'm currently riding a mountain bike and I know this is a disadvantage on the road.

Thanks,

Dave:

You've got lots of great feeback already. Here's mine>

1) Wetsuit--my first tri I rented one from wetsuitrentals.com. It worked just fine, although I had a very limited opportunity to practice in it pre-race. Since it was my first race, it really didn't matter. After that, I watched the sales and bought last year's model for about 50% off on Ebay. I've had it for three years and it works just fine. I went full sleeved suit because I hate being cold. I don't carry much weight, so I also don't have much "insulation". I appreciate the warmth most times, but if the water is 68 degrees plus, I do get warm. With full sleeves I you notice the arm restriction and it takes some adjustment.

2) Bike--You see everything at a triathlon. So, if you decide to ride a mountain bike, you won't be alone and nobody will care. My first tri I just rode my road bike. It was a pretty decent carbon bike, but the fact is the bike was not a performance inhibitor. I was unskilled, under trained and inexperienced. The bike I was sitting on was not a factor. That said, when I decided I was going to put my full effort into Triathlon I bought a pretty decent bike (Felt B2). My rationale was I wanted a bike that I was motivated to train on AND a bike where the financial investment would (if nothing else) help guilt me into training. I wanted to perform well and I didn't want my bike to be a limiting factor.

Ebay is a great tool. This is the time of year that many firms close out gear from last year. I bought most of my tri gear--bikes included--there. I just hate paying full retail. But I don't mind spending money on the sport: kids are grown, and this is my hobby. I don't have other vices, so with kids grown and out of college it's no big deal to spend a little coin to race in style.

Go to your first race with eyes wide open. You'll learn A LOT. Once that's in the bank you can then evaluate where you are with your motivation to compete in Triathlon. You can then match any additional equipment investments with where triathlon fits in your life. If it's just a way to have fun, stay in shape or perhaps bucket list item to check off your list a few times, no problem. You can get by just fine spending as little as possible and have a lot of fun.

If you're going to truly compete with the goal of being at your best...well, then at some point very soon you won't want to be limited by your equipment or get beat by lesser athletes with better technology

My two cents.

Steve.

Edited by lutzman 2014-01-07 11:27 PM
2014-01-08 10:44 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
James - Yeah, with 4 kids to attend college, I'm sure you have finely tuned bargain hunting skills! I hadn't gotten as far as checking eBay and was not thinking that used wetsuits were an option.

Dave - I was aware of the rental ads, but knew nothing about the process. Good to know you were able to use it a bit ahead of time and the overall experience was positive.

Scott: I smiled when reading your mountain bike story. That could have been written about me, but substitute (boat, shotgun, fishing gear, Labrador Retriever) for bike in the story line. I"m a slow learner sometimes. Regarding water temps, I think I'm fairly cold tolerant, so sleeveless may be right for me. When the water is really cold, I'm usually wearing camo colored chest waders and blowing a duck call.

Steve: Your point (also mentioned by others) about assessing my level of interest after the first one's done is probably the real key takeaway. That would certainly give me a clearer picture of what my true "needs" really are related to triathlons.

For now, I guess I'll resume my focus on learning how to move through the water without the assistance of an outboard motor.

Thanks again, everyone.

Dave
2014-01-09 5:35 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Whoa, our awesome group has slipped to page 2. The mentor forums must be very very busy right now.

I am still formulating my 2014 plans --- probably not a lot of racing but I did take a plunge yesterday and signed up for an Xterra in Maryland. I'll probably do our local sprint in April and use my road bike (hilly) and maybe one or two other Xterra races this year.

I'm more of a lurker when it comes to these forums but wanted to pass along thanks and kudos on the great swim discussions.
2014-01-09 7:01 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Anne, the Xterra events sound like a good fit for you, I know you like the mountain biking

2014-01-09 7:34 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good morning everyone!

I managed to remember and try to put more effort into my morning commute.  So where possible, 20 hard strokes followed by 20 easy.  Did manage to work up a bit of a sweat.

Anne - Mountain bike races?  Wow.  I've never really been tempted since everyone I know who has taken up mountain biking has dislocated something at one time or another.  And I seem to become more risk averse w/ respect to events that have a higher injury potential than others.  Although I do commute by bike every day and almost everyone I know who does this has had one or two good crashes either with other bikers or cars.

Have a great day everyone.

2014-01-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4915093

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Not what I wanted to hear...
Well I just got back from my visit with the Ortho to follow up from a MRI I had on Monday. The result was what I anticipated but was hoping to hear something different. I have a meniscus tear on the knee and will need a procedure done to repair it.I had this done in Feb 2012 to the same knee and was bummed when it started bothering me again in Nov/Dec. 2013.
This is what has delayed me in firming up my 2014 plans and now I feel a major setback starting off the new year.

I am hoping to schedule the surgery as soon as possible so I can get back to training. If I remember correctly I think it was about 6-8 weeks of PT before they cleared me to begin running again. Has anyone else had this experience?

Dave (TTTG)

2014-01-09 11:29 AM
in reply to: trytritryguy

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Not what I wanted to hear...

Originally posted by trytritryguy Well I just got back from my visit with the Ortho to follow up from a MRI I had on Monday. The result was what I anticipated but was hoping to hear something different. I have a meniscus tear on the knee and will need a procedure done to repair it.I had this done in Feb 2012 to the same knee and was bummed when it started bothering me again in Nov/Dec. 2013. This is what has delayed me in firming up my 2014 plans and now I feel a major setback starting off the new year. I am hoping to schedule the surgery as soon as possible so I can get back to training. If I remember correctly I think it was about 6-8 weeks of PT before they cleared me to begin running again. Has anyone else had this experience? Dave (TTTG)

Oh dammit! I hate that for you. You are right, about 8 weeks to running. Go get that surgery and you will be stellar by Summer.

2014-01-09 11:52 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by trytritryguy Well I just got back from my visit with the Ortho to follow up from a MRI I had on Monday. The result was what I anticipated but was hoping to hear something different. I have a meniscus tear on the knee and will need a procedure done to repair it.I had this done in Feb 2012 to the same knee and was bummed when it started bothering me again in Nov/Dec. 2013. This is what has delayed me in firming up my 2014 plans and now I feel a major setback starting off the new year. I am hoping to schedule the surgery as soon as possible so I can get back to training. If I remember correctly I think it was about 6-8 weeks of PT before they cleared me to begin running again. Has anyone else had this experience? Dave (TTTG)

Bummer  
My BT Buddy  -  dexter (also known as my BT husband cause he's been my best buddy here since I joined up) had arthroscopic surgery last year.  That was about his time out of the loop.  He's a PT so he started his own therapy when he was ready.  He did complete a HIM and the aqua-bike for an IM (pulled out halfway through the run cause the hills were killing his knee)

2014-01-09 12:09 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Anne, the Xterra events sound like a good fit for you, I know you like the mountain biking

I think it will be a good fit. I may get out to do Rev3 with you one of these summers.

2014-01-09 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Sorry to hear this Dave.  Hope you can get the surgery scheduled soon and everything goes well!

2014-01-09 5:09 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by trytritryguy

Well I just got back from my visit with the Ortho to follow up from a MRI I had on Monday. The result was what I anticipated but was hoping to hear something different. I have a meniscus tear on the knee and will need a procedure done to repair it.I had this done in Feb 2012 to the same knee and was bummed when it started bothering me again in Nov/Dec. 2013.
This is what has delayed me in firming up my 2014 plans and now I feel a major setback starting off the new year.

I am hoping to schedule the surgery as soon as possible so I can get back to training. If I remember correctly I think it was about 6-8 weeks of PT before they cleared me to begin running again. Has anyone else had this experience?

Dave (TTTG)

Lousy news, Dave. Sorry to hear that. Quick surgery, some PT, then back in the saddle!
2014-01-09 8:00 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Dave (TTTG)

Hey Dave -

Bummer.  But you know what?  It isn't the end of the world!

You have been through it before so you know you can/will comeback.

Last year I had an emergency gall bladder surgery.  I was so incredible bummed.  Doc's told me it would only be a few weeks, turned out it was 8 weeks before they cleared me to workout.  Just do what the doc's say.  Don't be silly like yours truly and try to shortcut the system, you will only add recovery time!

Get well!

2014-01-10 4:36 AM

User image

Expert

Dave (TTTG)

So sorry to hear your news, Dave. Will you be able to swim as part of the PT? Hopefully the rehab will strengthen the muscles to lessen the likelihood of further problems. I know with my knee problems (which didn't require surgery), the PT at first, and being diligent about the exercises later, made all the difference.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18750 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.