BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-10 12:12 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN

Originally posted by Artemis
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Hey Manatees!!

GO, GO, GO to all the racing Manatees!

I am thinking about doing a bike focus this year--the whole marathon thing has really ruined my legs and love for running--I now run for the pragmatic need to in triathlon and the fact that it's still a good cardio workout.....I want to do a weekend ride that has a metric century over each of 2 days in September......I have plenty of time to get my butt used to being in the saddle and Jorge's winter plan is getting me there......Thing is, I am having pain in the front part of my right knee with almost every trainer ride.  I have never had pain in my knees while on the bike before.  Sweet Mama has never given me issues before and my fit on her is pretty decent.....Thoughts?  Move a cleat position?  Change the saddle a touch?

Riding on the trainer is so different that it is probably a trainer-specific issue rather than Sweet Mama. I would try adjusting you cleats a bit, and then go back to th original position when you start riding outside again.

Thanks, Jen!  I figured that might be a good place to start.  I have never had knee pain on the trainer before--and this is different from the knee pain I had during the marathon.

2014-01-10 12:12 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Melanie - strained hamstring (improving!)
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather
Jonathan - Subtalar joint / ankle issues
Yanti - Under the weather

And the gimps: GET BETTER! Sigh, we were doing so well ... but we'll be back

Wheeeee!  I'm (allegedly) "racing" tomorrow!!  This could also be considered an abysmally long slog through the leftover slush from the polar vortex for 14 miles.  YAY!  

GO OTHER RACING MANATEES!!!! 

To the sickies... get better please!  

2014-01-10 12:13 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome to the Pod, Scott!

2014-01-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Artemis

Hey Manatees!!

I am thinking about doing a bike focus this year--the whole marathon thing has really ruined my legs and love for running--I now run for the pragmatic need to in triathlon and the fact that it's still a good cardio workout.....I want to do a weekend ride that has a metric century over each of 2 days in September......I have plenty of time to get my butt used to being in the saddle and Jorge's winter plan is getting me there......Thing is, I am having pain in the front part of my right knee with almost every trainer ride.  I have never had pain in my knees while on the bike before.  Sweet Mama has never given me issues before and my fit on her is pretty decent.....Thoughts?  Move a cleat position?  Change the saddle a touch?

Riding on the trainer is so different that it is probably a trainer-specific issue rather than Sweet Mama. I would try adjusting you cleats a bit, and then go back to th original position when you start riding outside again.

Thanks, Jen!  I figured that might be a good place to start.  I have never had knee pain on the trainer before--and this is different from the knee pain I had during the marathon.

CLEAT POSITIONING

This is probably more than anybody ever wanted to know about foot anatomy, biomechanics, and cleat positioning ... but just in case

The down 'n' dirty takeaway is first look to see if your right knee is tracking straight throughout the pedal stroke (not going right or left). If it is, it's possibly a degrees-of-rotation issue.

Secondly, if that's in order, move the cleat a little more towards the midfoot.

2014-01-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

Wheeeee!  I'm (allegedly) "racing" tomorrow!!  This could also be considered an abysmally long slog through the leftover slush from the polar vortex for 14 miles.  YAY!  

Sounds like a great time!  Would it be wrong to tell you that I expect upper 60* for my morning 12 miles?

2014-01-10 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

Go racers go!!!!!!!!

Monica, stay warm and run like the wind!

Erin, wish I was joining you in the Papago. But it's that darned off-road thing, ya know?

Lana, Swim like a Manatee, Ride like ya stole it, and Run like the wind (and don't swallow duck droppings)

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL! 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  Oh TJ, that made me smile!

Firstly, I'm in Chi-beria so staying warm is pretty much off the table from the get-go.  Secondly... run like the wind??  I don't think I've ever done any such thing... nor am I capable of any such thing!  How about I bundle up to the point that I can't put my arms down or resemble the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man and plod along at my usual frozen molasses pace until I get to the finish line?  That, I can do!  

warm molasses would be better  LOTS and LOTS of layers!

2014-01-10 12:30 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

Sounds like a great time!  Would it be wrong to tell you that I expect upper 60* for my morning 12 miles?

Yes, yes it would.  You meanie!!!  

I bought myself a balaclava last night just in case.  I hate winter.  

2014-01-10 12:31 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey Manatees!!

I don't know what the mechanics are exactly but I always have knee issues when a lot of trainer rides or spin classes but I never (knock wood) have issues when I do my rides outside.  Clearly, at least for me, something changes in the my pedal stroke and I am apply the force in a different way inside versus outside.  I figure that it's similar to running on a treadmill not being the exact same as running outside.

2014-01-10 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

Oh, then I won't tell you then

I don't know if they even sell balaclavas here.

2014-01-10 12:55 PM

User image

Master

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

A what? All I read at first was baklava. Hehehe
2014-01-10 1:05 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

Hey, me too!

Also, apparently, you can learn how to arm-knit a balaclava and actually make one in less than an hour.

2014-01-10 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 Any manatees have this cookbook by Matt Fitzgerald? http://www.amazon.com/dp/1937715159/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=318...

I just saw this recipe from one of his books

Racing Weight Recipes: Wasabi Meaballs

http://running.competitor.com/2014/01/nutrition/racing-weight-recipes-wasabi-meatballs_93057

2014-01-10 1:07 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Hi there, new Manatees! Glad you jumped in...the water's great

So far I have Jill, Lana, Ashley, Marc, David...Kim, WL?, and Mark?  I had to cheat sheet for the last three, though I haven't printed out any notes yet

Hope everyone is happily cruising through Friday morning.

Pictures of your kids always make me ridiculously happy. You have the best fambly ever. I mean, there are a lot of families that could tie you for that position, but not surpass.

2014-01-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 Any manatees have this cookbook by Matt Fitzgerald? http://www.amazon.com/dp/1937715159/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3186763...

I just saw this recipe from one of his books

Racing Weight Recipes: Wasabi Meaballs

http://running.competitor.com/2014/01/nutrition/racing-weight-recipes-wasabi-meatballs_93057

You'll have to give it a try and tell. Me how you liked it. Ive turned from a 95% vegetarian to 100% ( will see how long it lasts), so that recipe is not for me. I bought Fitzgeralds racing weight book . I'm pretty happy with my weight, but would like to take off a couple of pounds to see if it really will make me faster! We'll see if this book can help me do that.
2014-01-10 1:22 PM

User image

Happy Friday Manatees!! I am off work today so it is an especially happy Friday for me! 3 day weekends are the best.

I am feeling a bit under the weather though, so that's no fun. I think it is my body still adjusting to the switch to a NSNG diet. I have had multiple headaches over the last week and feel extremely tired and run-down. I have read where that is normal though. Going through a "sugar withdraw" I suppose. I hope I feel a little more energized tomorrow because I have a swim to do and I don' want to miss it!

One more question about this site: I want to so very badly be able to upload my training logs like everyone else is doing and be connected to you all in that way, but it seems that I have to get a subscription to the website in order to do that? The bronze, silver or gold?

Everyone have a great weekend! And for those of you who live somewhere where it is warm right now, I'm jealous

Ashley

2014-01-10 1:36 PM
in reply to: awalden22

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awalden22 Happy Friday Manatees!! I am off work today so it is an especially happy Friday for me! 3 day weekends are the best. I am feeling a bit under the weather though, so that's no fun. I think it is my body still adjusting to the switch to a NSNG diet. I have had multiple headaches over the last week and feel extremely tired and run-down. I have read where that is normal though. Going through a "sugar withdraw" I suppose. I hope I feel a little more energized tomorrow because I have a swim to do and I don' want to miss it! One more question about this site: I want to so very badly be able to upload my training logs like everyone else is doing and be connected to you all in that way, but it seems that I have to get a subscription to the website in order to do that? The bronze, silver or gold? Everyone have a great weekend! And for those of you who live somewhere where it is warm right now, I'm jealous Ashley

I don't think that you need a membership to use the logs but you may need one to get the plans.

Logging your Workouts

Training Log Features

2014-01-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: awalden22

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by awalden22  One more question about this site: I want to so very badly be able to upload my training logs like everyone else is doing and be connected to you all in that way, but it seems that I have to get a subscription to the website in order to do that? The bronze, silver or gold? 

Oh no, the logs are free. Maybe not *every* aspect, but still quite useful. Click on Training Log at the top and then Add Activity on the page. Or use Add Today's Workout in the drop-down from Training Log. They take you to the same point. From there you can type in what you need and upload from a device if you like.

2014-01-10 1:43 PM

User image

Master

Go racers go!!!!!!!!

Erin, wish I was joining you in the Papago. But it's that darned off-road thing, ya know?

Lana, Swim like a Manatee, Ride like ya stole it, and Run like the wind (and don't swallow duck droppings)

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL! 

Firstly, I'm in Chi-beria so staying warm is pretty much off the table from the get-go.  Secondly... run like the wind??  I don't think I've ever done any such thing... nor am I capable of any such thing!  How about I bundle up to the point that I can't put my arms down or resemble the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man and plod along at my usual frozen molasses pace until I get to the finish line?  That, I can do!  

Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.  If you one is going to reference Ghostbusters...one must get it right!

2014-01-10 1:50 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by awalden22  One more question about this site: I want to so very badly be able to upload my training logs like everyone else is doing and be connected to you all in that way, but it seems that I have to get a subscription to the website in order to do that? The bronze, silver or gold? 

Oh no, the logs are free. Maybe not *every* aspect, but still quite useful. Click on Training Log at the top and then Add Activity on the page. Or use Add Today's Workout in the drop-down from Training Log. They take you to the same point. From there you can type in what you need and upload from a device if you like.

Yeah, I think that you get more reports if you subscribe but really the basic reports are pretty good.

2014-01-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Yes, I finally figured it out! Thanks.
2014-01-10 2:02 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master

Welcome Scott and Mark!

Janyne, as usual you have outdone yourself!

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Racers!

Heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal DL'ers!

I had a great swim this morning.  I was in a lane with one other woman, who was MUCH faster than I.  That means that I can just swim my own swim, without someone on my heels.  So I was really working on technique.  The beginning part of my swim I was getting a really good 'feel' for the water on the pull.  Someone mentioned that it should almost feel as though you are pushing (pulling) against something solid and it did!  Then I started focusing on body rotation and felt I was really feeling that!  I haven't been in the water much in the last few months, so it was very cool.  Now, to just put it all together... 

2014-01-10 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

Hey, me too!

Also, apparently, you can learn how to arm-knit a balaclava and actually make one in less than an hour.

LOL - it took me almost a year to get Tony to realize that he wasn't wearing a baklava on his face.  

2014-01-10 2:36 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

Hey Manatees!!

I don't know what the mechanics are exactly but I always have knee issues when a lot of trainer rides or spin classes but I never (knock wood) have issues when I do my rides outside.  Clearly, at least for me, something changes in the my pedal stroke and I am apply the force in a different way inside versus outside.  I figure that it's similar to running on a treadmill not being the exact same as running outside.

This is the same for me - trainer rides have always given me some unhappy knee issues, but as soon as I start riding outside again they magically go away.  I'm not sure exactly what it is that's changing (pedal stroke, placement of force, etc.) but something certainly is.  

2014-01-10 2:40 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bcraht

Go racers go!!!!!!!!

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL! 

Firstly, I'm in Chi-beria so staying warm is pretty much off the table from the get-go.  Secondly... run like the wind??  I don't think I've ever done any such thing... nor am I capable of any such thing!  How about I bundle up to the point that I can't put my arms down or resemble the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man and plod along at my usual frozen molasses pace until I get to the finish line?  That, I can do!  

Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.  If you one is going to reference Ghostbusters...one must get it right!

I am duly shamed by my grievous mistake to the Ghostbusters reference.  I shall do 2 minutes of penance for my erroneous quoting and thus shall be absolved of this most heinous crime against Ghostbuster fans around the globe.  

... okay, that's gotta be 2 minutes, can I come out and play now??  

2014-01-10 2:40 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by bcraht

Go racers go!!!!!!!!

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL! 

I am duly shamed by my grievous mistake to the Ghostbusters reference.  I shall do 2 minutes of penance for my erroneous quoting and thus shall be absolved of this most heinous crime against Ghostbuster fans around the globe.  

... okay, that's gotta be 2 minutes, can I come out and play now??  

/penalty

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25840 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38403 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18413 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.