Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-19 5:57 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Ok need a Vo2 work out for today. I looked in the old power group thread and I am not sure were to start. I will be doing a 20' only FTP test Wednesday. Then after that test I will follow the 5' and 20' Protocol for the FTP test.

For what its worth I will base today's Vo2 work % off a 280 FTP. So hit me up and make James suffer. LookinG for 1:10 hr max. I am running ez 1hr this am. Thanks guys.

James, if you go to my training page, there are links to every single week of the power group training, including MRC files that you can load into the computrainer and run in erg mode. You have to have set your FTP.

I think week 1 is the test.

2015-01-19 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hee hee, are you sure you want to hear me rant about training conditions?! Basically, I have a pretty nice setup for swimming (25m pool at work, I've never had to share a lane, ever, and often get the pool to myself), okay though rather dull for running (residential neighborhoods, pancake flat, which makes " hill workouts" tough), and a pretty sucky biking situation. There's the industrial park (a loop of about four miles that's kind sorta free of traffic except during shift changes and which bikers can use on Sundays) and the trainer for road riding. Other options feature hellish traffic amd areas where solo women have been attacked. To be honest, I really prefer the trainer here--just a lot less stress. Last year before my second A race I was unable to get into the park for over a month due to high security after some anti-Chinese riots, and that may have affected my performance. Sometimes I do an MTB ride with a local group---there are some sweet loops but you have to have fat tires and suspension to handle them. I really enjoy bike tours amd cycling in Oregon, at least in recent years when I've gotten good enough to keep up with a local group for longer rides. I have good endurance for the bike, can hold a pace of about 27 kph for hours, and am a decent climber; but going fast on the flat just doesn't come naturally.

Then there's the heat....basically, it's ugly about ten months a year. "Winter" is 3-6 weeks a year when temps are comfortable at night at early AM. For the rest of the year, one needs to get started early. Seriously, finding shoes that don't slosh and weigh a ton when they fill with sweat after an hour, or even less, has been a major goal for me for a couple of years! And my job. I work generally 7:30 to 5:30, plus take online courses. So I pretty much work training in around it. It's my sanity--I feel like it's not negotiable. But I do struggle sometimes to get it all done and get enough sleep. I think this is part of my issue with taper, and getting to races healthy--balancing oveall load from training with the pretty considerable physical and time demands of my job.

I think my other big limiter is that, honestly, I have the body of a marathoner, as in, not much of one. Very light for my size ( and yes, I do eat a lot and have a pretty healthy diet), small build, endurance in spades but pathetic in the power/explosive strength department. I get away with it in swimming as I have decent technique, at least compared to most who started as adults, but it really hurts me on the bike. Will do all I can with improving power....

Conditions will no doubt be tough for the 70.3, but I think a strong performance on the swim and bike is doable and will just do what I can on the run--we'll all be in the same boat and it's one situation in which being a lightweight and living locally might be an advantage!
2015-01-19 7:48 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
Ontario

Karen, welcome to the group.   Biking can be a tough area to make improvements if you don't (as Marc mentioned) have a goal and a plan.  If you haven't taken a look at the program he and Shane ran last year I would highly recommend it.  All you need is your trainer and a HR strap as a minimum - if you download Golden Cheetah (free) and have a trainer that they matched the power curve on then you can train with power - better.  One thought is that if you have lots of solid bike endurance, but are lacking the power, then working through a spell of VO2 workouts will help to bring up that short term power level, which can then be translated into higher threshold level efforts after. 

2015-01-19 7:50 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nothing wrong with the trainer at all!  I think that's where you can make the best gains in power as you can control the conditions so much better than outside.  Do you do structured workouts on the trainer, if so what sorts of workouts do you usually do?

You are probably right that having a marathoner's body doesn't help you in the flats where raw power rules but if you have a good position on the bike and make some good equipment choices to improve aerodynamics and rolling resistance you can still get some good speed.  Being small and light will probably save you more time on the run in extreme heat than it costs you on the bike!

2015-01-19 7:54 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Got to ride the new PanAm Games Velodrome this weekend - pretty cool.  Never been on a fixed gear bike before and getting started/stopped was the strangest feeling ever.  They are running a bunch of "try the track" programs, and my group spent an hour on the track being led around by Steve Bauer, which was very awesome.  The whole trackis banked at 42 degrees, it just feels different higher up on the track.  For the most part we ha to ride the lower section of the track, but they let us have at for the last 5 min and I got to pass a couple of people while riding higher up on the curves, and consequently got passed by a couple of strong riders, but it was all fun.  My 10 year old got to ride the track in the morning - but he's lacking a bit of speed to ride higher on the track, so he's going to have to work on that.

2015-01-19 7:56 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

Got to ride the new PanAm Games Velodrome this weekend - pretty cool.  Never been on a fixed gear bike before and getting started/stopped was the strangest feeling ever.  They are running a bunch of "try the track" programs, and my group spent an hour on the track being led around by Steve Bauer, which was very awesome.  The whole trackis banked at 42 degrees, it just feels different higher up on the track.  For the most part we ha to ride the lower section of the track, but they let us have at for the last 5 min and I got to pass a couple of people while riding higher up on the curves, and consequently got passed by a couple of strong riders, but it was all fun.  My 10 year old got to ride the track in the morning - but he's lacking a bit of speed to ride higher on the track, so he's going to have to work on that.

That's pretty cool Neil!  Fixed gear sounds like a recipe for me to fall on my face.  

2015-01-19 8:32 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Karen, welcome to the group.   Biking can be a tough area to make improvements if you don't (as Marc mentioned) have a goal and a plan.  If you haven't taken a look at the program he and Shane ran last year I would highly recommend it.  All you need is your trainer and a HR strap as a minimum - if you download Golden Cheetah (free) and have a trainer that they matched the power curve on then you can train with power - better.  One thought is that if you have lots of solid bike endurance, but are lacking the power, then working through a spell of VO2 workouts will help to bring up that short term power level, which can then be translated into higher threshold level efforts after. 

Karen, another plug for using the workout files and program that Shane and Marc put together for the power mentor group. I'm using it again this year. The links are on Marc's training log. I have used golden cheetah but also use Trainer Road. All the workout files are loaded there as well. And while I don't have anything close to your running ability/endurance, I can empathize with the challenge of developing bike speed on flats. I get pretty lean (125lbs at 5'10") and do ok climbing. Hopeless on flats.

2015-01-19 8:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

Ok need a Vo2 work out for today. I looked in the old power group thread and I am not sure were to start. I will be doing a 20' only FTP test Wednesday. Then after that test I will follow the 5' and 20' Protocol for the FTP test.

For what its worth I will base today's Vo2 work % off a 280 FTP. So hit me up and make James suffer. LookinG for 1:10 hr max. I am running ez 1hr this am. Thanks guys.

James, if you go to my training page, there are links to every single week of the power group training, including MRC files that you can load into the computrainer and run in erg mode. You have to have set your FTP.

Thanks Marc! The mrc files are under week 2. I think I'll just do Vo2 max 1 and stretch it to 1hr.

If if can figure out Golden Cheetah may upload it.

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-19 8:39 AM
2015-01-19 8:44 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by BrotherTriOk need a Vo2 work out for today. I looked in the old power group thread and I am not sure were to start. I will be doing a 20' only FTP test Wednesday. Then after that test I will follow the 5' and 20' Protocol for the FTP test.For what its worth I will base today's Vo2 work % off a 280 FTP. So hit me up and make James suffer. LookinG for 1:10 hr max. I am running ez 1hr this am. Thanks guys.
James, if you go to my training page, there are links to every single week of the power group training, including MRC files that you can load into the computrainer and run in erg mode. You have to have set your FTP.I think week 1 is the test.
Thanks Marc! The mrc files are under week 2. I think I'll just do Vo2 max 1 and stretch it to 1hr.If if can figure out Golden Cheetah may upload it.

James, you should find the mrc files for each week on the respective link. You can prob jump ahead a few weeks and find some workouts w longer intervals/duration.

2015-01-19 10:17 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa

That's pretty cool Neil!  Fixed gear sounds like a recipe for me to fall on my face.  

Couple of folks went down trying to stop, and I came in  too fast (though I thought it was slow) at one point and had to go around the whole group to get myself slow enough to actually stop.  But then I ended up at the front of the group which I figured out was likely a safer place for me to be.  Go back in a couple of weeks for the certification classes.

2015-01-19 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have found my fixed gear is a pretty cool training tool, I'm glad you had a good experience on it.  Starting and stopping is a whole different animal, but it forces you to think about some things that you might otherwise take for granted. The Velodrome sounds like a really cool thing as well, I hope you and your son have fun on it.

2015-01-19 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Marc! The mrc files are under week 2. I think I'll just do Vo2 max 1 and stretch it to 1hr.

If if can figure out Golden Cheetah may upload it.

I think, not 100% sure the CT coaching software can handle mrc files but you need to have set Anaerobic threshold (I think)
2015-01-19 11:52 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by axteraa

Couple of folks went down trying to stop, and I came in  too fast (though I thought it was slow) at one point and had to go around the whole group to get myself slow enough to actually stop.  But then I ended up at the front of the group which I figured out was likely a safer place for me to be.  Go back in a couple of weeks for the certification classes.

So much fun. I'm a little jealous

There's a movement to get a velodrome in Tucson, but even if that does happen, it's a long way off.

2015-01-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Run focus is finally over....back to swimming (3000m this morning -- pace is down and effort is up, but for being out of the water for nearly two months, it's really not that bad) and biking (easy spin on the trainer planned for tonight).  Thank god!

2015-01-19 3:19 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Welcome Karen!  Always good to have new voices in the conversation (as in, someone else to ask questions from which I always learn!).

The crazy factor here has upped a bit recently.  Just got back from a trip to San Francisco, during which we negotiated an offer on a new (to us) house.  So, we're moving within Austin (to a spot in Rollingwood from which we can run into the park, to the springs where I swim, we can cycle with reduced chance of getting mashed by traffic, closer to work and the kids' schools and swim team pool, etc.).

All good, but has disrupted what had started to feel like a routine.  Soon... soon...

Ran yesterday with Kim - flat and slow (my run, that is, as neither of those would describe The Better Half).  Achilles is sore today, but not much different than before the run.  Wondering if it's something to run through or stop altogether until it doesn't hurt.  I'm better at the former, but not always smart.  Probably going to run the HM race we have on the books this weekend, if my Achilles handles a couple easy runs this week, but as a workout rather than a race.  I just miss the race scene and want to run with Kim again...

Can't wait to move.  I'll be able to bike from home again!!!!!  I'm even getting excited about racing tri's again.    I've been surprised by how much one's address can help of hinder training - even within the same school district!

Matt

2015-01-19 4:09 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Run focus is finally over....back to swimming (3000m this morning -- pace is down and effort is up, but for being out of the water for nearly two months, it's really not that bad) and biking (easy spin on the trainer planned for tonight).  Thank god!

Not too shabby to jump back in the pool and rip off 3000m.  

Good to see you can get back into the full set of training, it's too bad your HM didn't go as planned though.  

2015-01-19 4:55 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Welcome Karen.Really easy ride today. Normally I would have taken advantage of a holiday (Martin Luther King Day for those in the US) and rode long, but trying to be disciplined about balancing the hard and easy.Did a hard 28ish minute effort yesterday and was quite pleased most of my power was still there. Still need about 15 more watts though.
2015-01-19 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ok I started the following workout based on 280 FTP. I had to modify it on the fly because it was to ez so the second workout is the % of the 280 FTP I did. Btw this workout was a RPE 7.5 with a HR 143 avg.

BTWK3-VO2-1

VO2max 1 – 1:00:00
10:00 spin build to 65% of FTP
5x15s all out, 45s spin 60% FTP
5:00 spin 60% FTP
15x30s >105% FTP (hard), 30s 60% FTP
15:00 at 90% FTP
5:00 spin <60% FTP

Modify:

5x15s all out, 45s spin 75% FTP
5:00 spin 75% FTP
15x30s >125% FTP (hard), 30s 75% FTP

So Marc I looked at those .mrc file then changed the extension name to .erg to load. My CS software ver. 1.6 does not recognize the .mrc. Anyway it sees the % of FTP in the file as a Load (watts) so basically I would have to edit the file to put the load conversion for the %. I can not find anywhere to enter a FTP in the CS software. Any thoughts?

Wednesday I am do this FTP test as written…..

http://www.ipmultisports.com/ref_lib/FunctionalThresholdTest.pdf

EDIT

Garmin is down so here is the Strava upload

https://app.strava.com/activities/243426673

EDIT

Ok Garmin is back. I did 16 of the 30s intervals LOL

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/677998127

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-19 7:41 PM
2015-01-19 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok I started the following workout based on 280 FTP. I had to modify it on the fly because it was to ez so the second workout is the % of the 280 FTP I did. Btw this workout was a RPE 7.5 with a HR 143 avg.

BTWK3-VO2-1

5x15s all out, 45s spin 60% FTP
15x30s >105% FTP (hard), 30s 60% FTP

Modify:

5x15s all out, 45s spin 75% FTP
15x30s >125% FTP (hard), 30s 75% FTP

So Marc I looked at those .mrc file then changed the extension name to .erg to load. My CS software ver. 1.6 does not recognize the .mrc. Anyway it sees the % of FTP in the file as a Load (watts) so basically I would have to edit the file to put the load conversion for the %. I can not find anywhere to enter a FTP in the CS software. Any thoughts?

Wednesday I am do this FTP test as written…..

http://www.ipmultisports.com/ref_lib/FunctionalThresholdTest.pdf

EDIT

Garmin is down so here is the Strava upload

https://app.strava.com/activities/243426673

I would not do that test protocol.

Look at week 1, there is a test protocol in there.
2015-01-19 7:42 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
What is wrong with that test?

2015-01-19 7:47 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
So you would prefer this over the PDF link I posted. It''s basically the same....

Workout 2 – Long Test – 1:00:00

10:00 spin; get loose, build up a light seat, have slightly elevated breathing by the end
5x30s at short test wattage, 30s easy spin
10:00 spin
20:00 all out - you want to be steady through this or build power as you go; you don’t want to start off too hard and then fade as the test progresses. Better to start a little too easy and build throughout than blow up part way through. Early in the test, if you feel you can hold the power for another 5:00, you are probably right where you want to be; if 5:00 would be easy, go a bit harder, if 5:00 seems like way too long, back off a little. With five minutes to go, time to just hang on through to the end.
15:00 spin

2015-01-19 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What is wrong with that test?

The 5' hard before the 20' test confuses things. Too hard and your 95% will under-estmate FTP. Too easy and it will over-estimate.

The other test, if properly executed will give a better idea of strength and weakness.

2015-01-19 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So you would prefer this over the PDF link I posted. It''s basically the same....

10:00 spin; get loose, build up a light seat, have slightly elevated breathing by the end
20:00 all out - you want to be steady through this or build power as you go; you don’t want to start off too hard and then fade as the test progresses. Better to start a little too easy and build throughout than blow up part way through. Early in the test, if you feel you can hold the power for another 5:00, you are probably right where you want to be; if 5:00 would be easy, go a bit harder, if 5:00 seems like way too long, back off a little. With five minutes to go, time to just hang on through to the end.

No, the link you provided does a 5' blow out and then does 95% of the result

This test is actually 2 tests on 2 different days and a calculation from the 2 numbers that gives both a CP and a Anaerobic work capacity (AWC). No use of 95%.
2015-01-19 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
So do this Wednesday?

Workout 1 – Short Test – 45:00

10:00 spin; get loose, build up a light sweat, have slightly elevated breathing by the end
5:00 at a moderately hard effort (just a bit easier than oly distance race effort)
5:00 spin
5x15s at about 5:00 test effort, 45s easy spin
5:00 spin
5:00 all out – you want to be steady through this or build power as you go; you don’t want to start off too hard and then fade as the test progresses. Better to start a little too easy and build throughout than blow up part way through. Through the first half of the test, ask if you can keep this power up for another minute; if so you are probably right where you want to be; if not adjust slightly. With two minutes or less to go, time to just grit your teeth and hang on.

Then this on Friday?

Question I need to capture only the 5' and 20' TT correct?

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-19 8:11 PM
2015-01-20 4:18 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Man I must be training the brain cells dead in my head. I will be adding peoples in this thread in my friends list as soon as I can figure it out

Also if you have a facebook page I would like to add you there as well...

My training today is a ez run by a swim. What does everybody else have going on today?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).