BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-15 11:33 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

I got an email about the Tour de Sufferlandria!

LOVE IT!

Is this the most amazing event EVER?

Until the 2021 Tour, yes it is.

There is some funny stuff in there!!  'Bike Torture Chamber Essentials';  under 'Getting Your Torture Chamber Ready' they list items to have and 'a hamster' is one of them.  Also, 

ARE THERE DONUTS?

Flogging station 6 is open. Report immediately.

Sufferfest has afun community. The workouts have cues and explanation etc as they play and are often sarcastic, which i endorse!

the sarcasm is why I like Sufferfest best.

2020-01-15 8:45 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by melbo55

I got an email about the Tour de Sufferlandria!

LOVE IT!

Is this the most amazing event EVER?

Until the 2021 Tour, yes it is.

There is some funny stuff in there!!  'Bike Torture Chamber Essentials';  under 'Getting Your Torture Chamber Ready' they list items to have and 'a hamster' is one of them.  Also, 

ARE THERE DONUTS?

Flogging station 6 is open. Report immediately.

Sufferfest has afun community. The workouts have cues and explanation etc as they play and are often sarcastic, which i endorse!

the sarcasm is why I like Sufferfest best.

The ToS is one of the best ways to kick start your bike before Spring, plus it's for a good cause. It supports the Davis Phinney foundation supporting people with Parkinson's
2020-01-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I've been MIA, both with training and the group. I've recently traded triathlon training for flood control in our basement. I was up all night Saturday, fighting the floods. running 4 pumps and digging trenches in the snow to redirect Lake Huron past my house. I saw for the first time ever 20 foot waves and the unbelievable force water can bring. Our neighborhood was flooded and we had a foot of water, plus ice and snow on our road. It was the worst storm I've witnessed. Thank God we didn't lose electricity, because our generator was under 30 inches of water.
We are fine, and it forced me to clear a lot more junk from my basement (that's my silver lining). Clean up is almost done. It's been rough but we are on a 30 year high water cycle.
We also lost our hot water heater in the flooding. It's been sea showers all week.

Edited by JBacarella 2020-01-15 8:59 PM
2020-01-16 7:02 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I've been MIA, both with training and the group. I've recently traded triathlon training for flood control in our basement. I was up all night Saturday, fighting the floods. running 4 pumps and digging trenches in the snow to redirect Lake Huron past my house. I saw for the first time ever 20 foot waves and the unbelievable force water can bring. Our neighborhood was flooded and we had a foot of water, plus ice and snow on our road. It was the worst storm I've witnessed. Thank God we didn't lose electricity, because our generator was under 30 inches of water. We are fine, and it forced me to clear a lot more junk from my basement (that's my silver lining). Clean up is almost done. It's been rough but we are on a 30 year high water cycle. We also lost our hot water heater in the flooding. It's been sea showers all week.

Oh Jim! I am so sorry to hear this! This 100% sucks

2020-01-16 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarellaI've been MIA, both with training and the group. I've recently traded triathlon training for flood control in our basement. I was up all night Saturday, fighting the floods. running 4 pumps and digging trenches in the snow to redirect Lake Huron past my house. I saw for the first time ever 20 foot waves and the unbelievable force water can bring. Our neighborhood was flooded and we had a foot of water, plus ice and snow on our road. It was the worst storm I've witnessed. Thank God we didn't lose electricity, because our generator was under 30 inches of water.We are fine, and it forced me to clear a lot more junk from my basement (that's my silver lining). Clean up is almost done. It's been rough but we are on a 30 year high water cycle.We also lost our hot water heater in the flooding. It's been sea showers all week.
that sounds horrific! No power would have been dangerous. Gladnyoubare getting ot all behind you.
2020-01-16 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarellaI've been MIA, both with training and the group. I've recently traded triathlon training for flood control in our basement. I was up all night Saturday, fighting the floods. running 4 pumps and digging trenches in the snow to redirect Lake Huron past my house. I saw for the first time ever 20 foot waves and the unbelievable force water can bring. Our neighborhood was flooded and we had a foot of water, plus ice and snow on our road. It was the worst storm I've witnessed. Thank God we didn't lose electricity, because our generator was under 30 inches of water.We are fine, and it forced me to clear a lot more junk from my basement (that's my silver lining). Clean up is almost done. It's been rough but we are on a 30 year high water cycle.We also lost our hot water heater in the flooding. It's been sea showers all week.
that sounds horrific! No power would have been dangerous. Gladnyoubare getting ot all behind you.

The water levels have been crazy - glad things are getting cleaned up and more back to normal ...

We are on Lake Ontario and my neighbour who is an engineer with the city was talking about how they couldn't do many projects because the sewers were full of lake water right into late July ... and people who went to the Pinery park on Lake Huron were talking about the water being so high there was barely any beach. 10 years ago water levels were so low ... my aunt and uncle who had a fishing lodge on Manitoulin Island kept having to lower their docks. 

2020-01-16 8:25 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

How's the week going? How's the JoGo going?

I am going to say that the challenge is helping me get my fruits and veggies in more consistently. I even ordered salad with my burger when we went out on Tuesday to our neighbourhood spot. 

I am really working to getting that consistent routine going and my base built up to really dive into HIM training. the later night are hard but happening. 

2020-01-16 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I've been MIA, both with training and the group. I've recently traded triathlon training for flood control in our basement. I was up all night Saturday, fighting the floods. running 4 pumps and digging trenches in the snow to redirect Lake Huron past my house. I saw for the first time ever 20 foot waves and the unbelievable force water can bring. Our neighborhood was flooded and we had a foot of water, plus ice and snow on our road. It was the worst storm I've witnessed. Thank God we didn't lose electricity, because our generator was under 30 inches of water. We are fine, and it forced me to clear a lot more junk from my basement (that's my silver lining). Clean up is almost done. It's been rough but we are on a 30 year high water cycle. We also lost our hot water heater in the flooding. It's been sea showers all week.

Sorry for your troubles! 

2020-01-16 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

I am going to say that the challenge is helping me get my fruits and veggies in more consistently. I even ordered salad with my burger when we went out on Tuesday to our neighbourhood spot. 

I am really working to getting that consistent routine going and my base built up to really dive into HIM training. the later night are hard but happening. 

Remind me which HIM you are doing. My HIM training starts on the 27th and i have 0 base for swimming, just over 0 for the bike, and a sort of ok base for the run. I'm not happy about it, but sometimes owies and lack of motivation happen!  

2020-01-16 9:52 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, man, Jim, what a challenging time!  I'm glad you came out fairly OK and didn't lose electricity.  I heard about the 20' waves but didn't realize that it was so close to you.  Excellent job on the cross-training!   But seriously, glad you are OK.

2020-01-16 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Remind me which HIM you are doing. My HIM training starts on the 27th and i have 0 base for swimming, just over 0 for the bike, and a sort of ok base for the run. I'm not happy about it, but sometimes owies and lack of motivation happen!  

I am doing Mont Tremblant in June. I have a 16 week plan in the hopper which would start at the end of February/early March but i have had 0 bike in some time. And need to get used to and set up for tri training consistency again (building my butt back up to be on a bike seat) and do HR training. Luckily i've been swimming with my tri club so that's all in order. 

2020-01-16 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Jim, so sorry to see this. It's really cool that you can find a silver lining, but I hope and pray that you and your family are getting things taken care of and you attend to the important parts of life.

TW and I will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

2020-01-16 12:08 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

.....I am doing Mont Tremblant in June. I have a 16 week plan in the hopper which would start at the end of February/early March but i have had 0 bike in some time. And need to get used to and set up for tri training consistency again (building my butt back up to be on a bike seat) and do HR training. Luckily i've been swimming with my tri club so that's all in order. 

Sounds like you are about the place I was 4 months out from my first Triathlon which happened to be at the 70.3 distance. 

I tried to stay active with my running after I was done with competitive school sports and set a big destination running race every year but I got to the point where I would buckle down and train for 3-4 months leading up to a big race, go run and do great, then take 2 weeks off, which would turn into 2 months, which turned into 6-10 months, then I would find another race buckle down and train again.  8 months out from my first Triathlon I had been on a 10-month off-season.  The idea of doing a triathlon in my hometown with the race start 10 minutes from my front door was something I really wanted to do but the truth is I didn't know if I could survive a long triathlon.  At the time, it was ugly even getting through a 3-mile run so I decided I would start by fixing that.  There was a local 5K race 8 weeks away and local half marathon 8 weeks after the 5k so I signed up for them.  I was not in race shape at the 5K or the half marathons but had my feet back under me and with 16 weeks to the 70.3 race having not been on a bike for possibly 10 years and being able to count on one hand how many times I had put on a swimming suit in that same amount of time I signed up for the 70.3 race 10 minutes from where I was living.  You can't cram years of consistent training into a 16-week plan, but you can make a ton of progress in that time.  It took me about 8 weeks to start to feel like I had a little bit of fit again and after that everything I did helped me improve.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-01-16 12:13 PM
2020-01-16 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The week is going well and the JoGo is making me aware of the yoga stuff that I *should* be doing.

FWIW, I think that you are doing a tremendous job, Jen!  You are super consistent about getting your swims in and I know that you have been working on your run. 

Next step -- get that bike out and get on it! (I just looked at your Strava, the bike is not your favorite, is it?)

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-16 1:02 PM
2020-01-16 1:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

The week is going well and the JoGo is making me aware of the yoga stuff that I *should* be doing.

FWIW, I think that you are doing a tremendous job, Jen!  You are super consistent about getting your swims in and I know that you have been working on your run. 

Next step -- get that bike out and get on it! (I just looked at your Strava, the bike is not your favorite, is it?)

Thanks Janyne!  I definitely don't love the trainer and living in Toronto we have, ahem, winter and also it is a big city where it's a bit of a chore to find road that is relatively open and safe for riding. I just have to love the trainer. I've started building up my butt! There is some green on my graph! 

But i feel like i have either the fortune or just over-confidence of having it done it before this will be my 5th HIM - it's been a few years but I do have the muscle memory somewhere deep down. I know i could do better if i had kept up biking but i am not going to be sorry about going through my family years and having to prioritize. I'll do the work now and be as ready as i can. 

2020-01-16 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks Janyne!  I definitely don't love the trainer and living in Toronto we have, ahem, winter and also it is a big city where it's a bit of a chore to find road that is relatively open and safe for riding. I just have to love the trainer. I've started building up my butt! There is some green on my graph! 

But i feel like i have either the fortune or just over-confidence of having it done it before this will be my 5th HIM - it's been a few years but I do have the muscle memory somewhere deep down. I know i could do better if i had kept up biking but i am not going to be sorry about going through my family years and having to prioritize. I'll do the work now and be as ready as i can. 

This is a hobby! Do what you love!

That being said, your run is not too shabby!  Even with  the holidays your four-week average was very respectable!

I used to hate the trainer. Having a smart trainer and an app that I like (and a fan!) has made a huge difference.

2020-01-16 2:36 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

That being said, your run is not too shabby!  Even with  the holidays your four-week average was very respectable!

I used to hate the trainer. Having a smart trainer and an app that I like (and a fan!) has made a huge difference.

speaking of apps and smart trainers..i an FINALLY able to use The Sufferfest. My trainer works wonderfully, now if i could just get my Garmin heartrate monitor to work with it. All things go as planned, ill play with it tomorrow when my cortisone shot is settled in better.
2020-01-16 4:57 PM

speaking of apps and smart trainers..i an FINALLY able to use The Sufferfest. My trainer works wonderfully, now if i could just get my Garmin heartrate monitor to work with it. All things go as planned, ill play with it tomorrow when my cortisone shot is settled in better.

I signed up today for the 14-day trial of Sufferfest. I have no idea what to do with it now or where to even start with it, but I'm looking forward to reading through things tonight after work.

Edited by alaskatri 2020-01-16 5:10 PM
2020-01-16 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Wow, this is terrible news.  Glad to hear you almost have it all cleaned up.

2020-01-16 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yay! Glad you have your trainer sorted and gain start suffering!!

2020-01-16 6:17 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by ceilidh speaking of apps and smart trainers..i an FINALLY able to use The Sufferfest. My trainer works wonderfully, now if i could just get my Garmin heartrate monitor to work with it. All things go as planned, ill play with it tomorrow when my cortisone shot is settled in better.
I signed up today for the 14-day trial of Sufferfest. I have no idea what to do with it now or where to even start with it, but I'm looking forward to reading through things tonight after work.

Take a look at the articles here.  They will walk you through how to set up your trainer and what to do in the 14 days to get a good sample of the app. Of course, you can do whatever videos you want, but i'd make sure to check out at least one of the yoga videos too. They also have mental strength and plan old strength videos, so take a look at them too! The tour of sufferlandria starts next month, so you'll just miss it with your trial. Of course, after your trial you'll want to join Jim, Robin and me as full time suffers, so I'm sure I'll see you on the tour 

2020-01-17 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Happy Friday, all!  What do you all have planned for the weekend?

2020-01-17 8:08 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Buckshot

Fridays rock!

I'm still easing into things so I will probably do an 8 mile run Saturday and a trainer ride of not too high-intensity Sunday. The big plan bruised ribs dependent is the power washing of my deck, driveway, fence, and front porch 

2020-01-17 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

January 18-19
Melanie - Frozen Foot #1 on Sunday

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

2020-01-17 10:57 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Buckshot

Family stuff all day on Saturday and early Sunday.  Hammock Camping Sunday night with Ann.  Monday is a holiday in my industry, so I am doing a bunch of testing at work when we return from camping. Hopefully riding the new (to me) gravel bike by Tuesday night.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127