General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2007-08-27 5:58 PM
in reply to: #898191

User image

MotoQueen
Subject: RE: Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers
Looking forward to the day that Deanna herself writes in here. Way to go Deanna. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

2007-08-28 7:58 AM

User image

DEANNA - AUGUST 28

Hi Folks,

It was so neat being at Deanna's bedside for the weekend. She is still very weak and tires very easily. But emotionally and mentally, she is very strong. Even though her recovery seems slow, she is really making long strides now instead of those tiny baby steps we watched for over the past weeks.

It is so wonderful to hear her talk! I could end the sentence right there, but continuing...to hear her talk about her fall classes at NCSU and future triathlons -- amazing!!

Thank you alll so much for your continued thoughts and prayers!

Cheryl Read on.....

[email protected] wrote:

Good morning all. Maybe I jinxed myself in a good way when I said that I
may not be updating everyday. The big news from yesterday is that Deanna
may not have to have dialysis again. Bloodwork came back yesterday
afternoon looking as though her kidneys are starting to come back to full
function. This sent Deanna through the roof celebrating, high fives, and
a couple tears from all in the room. Dialysis is such a terrible thing
for her, sitting in a quiet dark room for 4 hours with nothing to do. She
said she hates that procedure so much. This was the last hurdle before
getting her into a recovery room and getting her out of there finally. By
Friday, they should know if any further dialysis is needed, but as it is,
she’s been without Dialysis for three days and peeing strong. I think the
kidney prayers worked.
Keep Deanna and her kidneys in your thoughts and
prayers, she continues to be a miracle.
-Chris
2007-08-28 9:50 AM

User image

Regular
Wow Deanna, that is just wonderful about the kidneys! Yippy for you!! Aunt Cheryl, post the paypal info periodically to keep it upfront in people's minds... I will be contributing shortly to the fund. Deanna, i want to be racing besides you someday with your new leg! (And I can guarantee that you WILL kick my butt!)

Whooo hoooo to you Deanna!!! Great, great news!
2007-08-28 11:24 AM

NC
Yayyy! Deanna, you are doing amazing. The power of prayer is awesome and you will continue to be in my prayers. Hope to meet you some day at a race. You will be an inspiration. Keep it up and stay strong.
2007-08-28 2:33 PM

Alberta, Canada
Thanks again for the updates!! I finished my first Sprint tri on Sunday and felt great! I was not totally happy with it all, but happy to have finished feeling great! I thought of you, Deanna, periodically throughout and it sure helped to keep me going. The swim especially, for I believe the reason of nerves, was exceptionally difficult, but the thought of your fight and my kids and husband waiting for me at the other end kept me going! You are such an inspiration.

My family and I will definitely continue to keep you in our prayers! God is so good!

Love and prayers all the way from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
~Rachelle
2007-08-28 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
What amazing news to come home to!!

I thought about Dee Dee all weekend, as I was down in Louisville supporting my sister as she competed in her Ironman race. At one point, I was pretty chocked up, and thought about when Deanna makes her big comeback, how, I would love to be there to witness it!!

Such great news...Deanna, like everyone says, you really are an inspiration to your extended BT family!!

2007-08-29 8:54 AM

User image

NOTE: DEANNA CAN READ ALL YOUR POSTS HERE DAILY. WHILE SHE IS AN INSPIRATION TO YOU, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO HER!! COOL!!

DEANNA - WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 30
Hi Folks,
Today's news is wonderful! Since Deanna is moving around a lot more these days, the tubes and wires have been a real hassle, especially the moist air tube to the trach and the feeding tube. Over these past weeks she has had more bells and whistles on her than a loaded Cadillac!
Cheryl Read on.......

[email protected] wrote:

Another piece of good news from Tuesday from Deanna. She had procedures
to remove both the tracheotomy and the PEG feeding tube yesterday. These
are more steps towards moving into the rehab unit. Removing both of these
apparatuses will put her in much more comfort. The PEG tube was giving
her some pain every time she coughed.

-Chris

2007-08-29 9:13 AM

User image

New user

Nashvegas
Way to go Deanna!!!!! Getting these little glimpses into your progress and recovery is wonderful. None of us can fully appreciate the emotions that you must have, both highs and lows - but as you must see day in and day out by the hits on this thread, you have the spirit of thousands of us nutty tri-folks rooting you on. I talk about your story to people who probably don't even care but by the end of me explaining how the last month has gone, they feel the compassion. Welcome back girl, we're glad to have you touch our lives.

I hope down the road we can mark a race in Raleigh that all of us BT'ers can attend and cheer you through the finish line. I'll make the trip!

-Brian

2007-08-29 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Great news Deanna....we're glad to hear you're getting stronger every day!  I'm even more excited to hear that you are focusing on your future.  You've been thru an incredibly tough time but that fighting spirit saw you thru this race.....and will get you thru many more. 
2007-08-29 9:21 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Just think of it this way Dee ...... all those extra goodies you're carrying around give you all sort of legal performance enhancements.  Some people put lighter aero bars on, some go with Dura Ace cranks to shave a few grams ........ you've got to be the most tricked out and accessorized triathlete on the planet right now!!

Keep it up girlfriend!!  I expect to meet you at IMFL because you should be out of recovery and rockin' your physical therapy by then!!

2007-08-29 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Go girl go!

2007-08-29 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Alright!!  Does this mean you get real food, Dee?  Whatcha hankering for?  Burgers, fries, gu?

Keep up the progress!  You are going to blow them away in PT!

2007-08-29 10:42 AM

User image

Regular
I also talk to people outside the tri world about you Deanna... think how many people that are rooting for you that aren't even part of the BT group!! that is amazing, isn't it how many lives one person can touch and make a difference!!... I have probably talked to at least 7 people outside this website... and that is just me... !
2007-08-29 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW what awesome news!! I was internet crippled last week and have not checked teh thread in a while!! COngrats on no dialysis and getting rid of all the tubes  
2007-08-29 1:10 PM

New user

God bless her and her family! She will be in my thoughts and heart today during my swim workout.
2007-08-29 8:34 PM

User image

What an emotional story for BT users to follow and come together to cheer you on. I can't imagine how emotional it is for you and your family! Way to go...

I've also mentioned your story to "non-atheletes" and get the same reaction. Truly amazing. Congrats on your progress so far! I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we can't wait until hopefully we all see that first post from your own account on BT!

Rob

2007-08-29 11:02 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
I have been following along and feel badly that I have not yet posted but now that I KNOW Dee Dee is reading along I must say HI!! I have been praying for you and thinking of you tons! And wanted to tell you what an inspiration you are to us all. It boggles my mind to think of what you have been through - but it shows what a strong woman and athlete you are. I know many of us plan to do races in your honor and as I train, when things get trying I think of you and your struggle and it gives me inspiration!

I could not be more happy to hear about your accomplishments in recovery and will be looking for a LOG from you so we can follow all of your amazing accomplishments. WOO HOO!!!!
2007-08-30 6:42 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
What an amazing, amazing week.  You have done more in four weeks than most people do in three months.  Congratulations.  We are all pulling for you and the dollarsfordeanna.org works great.  Thanks, Julie
2007-08-30 8:40 AM

User image

DEANNA - THURSDAY, AUGUST 30
Hi Folks,
Deanna has been given the gift of life and we have been given the gift of Deanna. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If others don't treat you that way, do it anyway!! Life is precious. That's what it's all about! Thank you, Deanna for giving us this lesson!
Cheryl Read on.....

[email protected] wrote:

Deanna is officially off of dialysis. Her kidneys have kicked back in and
she is filtering her blood on her own. It seems as if the renal thoughts
and prayers have paid off.
Since the dialysis catheter is out, the cardiologists now feel it is safe
enough to undertake the AICD procedure. This is slated to occur on Friday
sometime.
Once Deanna has this pacemaker/defibrillator surgery, she will be
good to go for rehabilitation. Everything looks great while she is in this
new room. Her oxygen saturation is maintaining itself, with room air
(not oxygen saturated air as before) while her heart rate and blood pressure
look normal as well. She is beginning to get her appetite back as well, but
she says some things just aren't palatable right now. She really hasn't
eaten for over a month, so Deanna's normal hunger will return with time.
Keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

-Chris
2007-08-30 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Hey guys--not to bring some bad news to this uplifting thread--but I read something in yesterday's paper.  An 18 y/o swimmer from Clemson collapsed and died while running (believe this happened on Monday).   We actually had a triathlete go into cardiac arrest while competing at the Latta Triathlon here in Charlotte, NC back in June. Fortunately, we were able to restart his heart almost immediately and he is recovering well.

We've all seen how tough Deanna has been, and how remarkable her recovery.  We need to realize that these things do happen, sometimes without a great medical explaination.  Our sport(s) and our lifestyles do put us at risk.  We owe it to each other to be prepared in the event that something might happen to a friend, relative, or even a stranger on the street. PLEASE--Learn CPR, encourage the places that you work out to implement a defibrillator program.  From what we've heard about Deanna's case, she would not have survived without CPR and quick defibrillation by the pool lifeguards and later by the paramedics.  These devices can be purchased for less than $1500 and can be used by ANYONE.  They are as easy to use as a polaroid camera.

Officially stepping off the soapbox now---Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Deanna--congratulations on another major step. I'm sure that dialysis has been a miserable experience.  The idea of the AICD mayvbe daunting but it will certainly help to prevent this from ever occurring again.  Keep moving--the finish line is still a way off but you're making great progress!

2007-08-30 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Jamestown, NC
Just saw the thread today (where have I been?) and read through it. Glad to hear that you are back at it Deanna. I am supposed to do IMFL this year and even though I am a Tarheel I think I may just wear a Wolfpack logo with your name on it because of how you've inspired me. Now don't you dare think this means I may lose my mind and become a State fan. No way lady. It's in honor of you, not NCSU.

2007-08-31 8:20 AM

User image

DEANNA - FRIDAY, AUGUST 31

[email protected] wrote:
Today may be one of the last major, surgery involving hurdles that Deanna
has to pass. Today, at 12 pm, she will be taken in for surgery to implant
the AICD into her chest. She will be totally put under during anesthesia.
She is maintaining her oxygen saturation, blood pressure and heart rate
by herself, so this is a far less risky procedure than it would have been
3 weeks ago. Since she had her dialysis catheter out, the cardiologists
now feel that she is much less prone to infection during the surgery. As
soon as Deanna has passed this test, she will be able to be off the heart
monitor.
As the cardiologists explained, it is not a huge procedure. They are
implanting the Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator,
which is smaller than a normal cell phone, I guess comparable to a
Razor phone. It is much smaller than it would have been even 10
years ago. Unfortunately, this instrument will have to be checked
every three months and replaced every 3 to 5 years. This was kind of
depressing news, but the alternative could be having another heart
episode, so it is worth it. The doctors say it may be implanted, but
never used. It’s an insurance factor she carries with her at all
times. Please keep Deanna in your thoughts and prayers today, she is
going to have quite a test.

-Chris

2007-08-31 8:31 AM

User image

Hi Folks,
Just in case you would like to hve Dollars for Deanna information again.
Have a great day!
Cheryl

Make checks out to Debra Babcock
The account number, and it is: 060332141
The routing number for wiring money is: 253177049
Note: Some people are really hesitant about giving our an account number; however, Debbie says this account is very secure and is not concerned with people haveing that number.
Mail to:
State Employees Credit Union
2802 Hillsborough St
Raleigh, NC 27607

OR You can make a contribution via PAYPAL:
Go to: Dollarsfordeanna.org
If it doesn't come right up to that page, you may have made a typo, because it's there. When the page comes up, scroll way down on the page -- the link to PAYPAL is toward the bottom of the page.
2007-08-31 8:55 AM
in reply to: #948293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Deanna!  I'm so excited at your recovery so far.  I'm sure it feels so much better to be a little less tethered without the dialysis and other tubes and lines.  I've been praying for your body to recover, and your mind and emotions to have peace, and for your soul too! 

I've had a great reminder the past few days to pray for your kidney's to kick in because I am having a little minor kidney pain of my own.  Every time I feel it, I pray for you.  This morning I have a CT scan, so just know that you'll have my undivided prayers for you and your surgery during that time.  

I look forward to hearing how well you come over this big hurdle today.  We are all cheering for you!

Z
2007-08-31 11:42 AM
in reply to: #948293

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

Hi,

do not worry about the defibrillator procedure! My father is 70 and he got his implanted 3 years ago. It gives us more of a peace of ming knowing that if my father's weak heart decides to "burp" the defibrillator will hopefully shake it back to beating. it's a good thing. Good luck today!

Z.

PS. the checks are very easy, my father has a device at home (from the docs. office) which allows him transmit the info to the Dr. office without actually going there... some sort of dial-up gadget. It is not so bad, really. My father has a small visible bump in his chest but once again it is totally worth it! 

Edited by Z 2007-08-31 11:47 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers Rss Feed  

of 22