Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-12-10 8:11 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Very cool, Fred!  No doubt you've been a great role model for your daughters....and I'm sure it's very rewarding to see them getting so involved and excelling in swimming!

Also great news on the Zoot team, coaching, and prospects for a successful, fun 2014

2013-12-11 7:15 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ChrisM I think my 2014 goal is to not have some sort of foot injury in December. Seems to be a pattern last couple years
Exact same thing here. I think our body is at it's limit at the end of season, ready to snap. Two years in a row, it snapped for me.

It's actually why I stopped running on the treadmill.  3 Decembers in a row I got hurt.

Interesting.   I thought it was a function of our long so cal season.   Start tris in March and race until October (heck, even December....).    And use the winter to race half marys etc.    Never really give myself an 'offseason' where things are unstructured for a while.   It does start to add up I guess and then we pay the price

Happened to me during the last quarter of the season...  Was the first full year of tri training for me and went directly from HIM to fully marry training, with no time off (well, a couple light days, but that was all).  Pop goes the hamstring.  Definitely learned that I need to recover a bit more from a long course race (was my first one).

Now I'm back in structured training after a few months off.  Legs feel GREAT (had a nice 12 miles Sunday with a 3 mile tempo at the end).  Swim hasn't deserted me.  Very happy with all that.

And then, stacking wood after the long run Sunday (snow was on the way) I threw out my lower back - something that hasn't happened in a decade.

SNAKEBIT!

Oh well, guess I'll be protecting my legs a little more until the back is back, but an offseason is something I have come to understand as necessary for ME at least (the back thing aside - the hammy is what convinced me).  We'll see how 2014 goes.

Matt

2013-12-11 8:10 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Had a kick heavy session at masters last night. 750 yds of it, and actually made it through on the send-offs with the guys I usually swim with, ~1:05/50. Just kicking more actually worked.

2013-12-11 8:46 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Great news on all fronts Fred!!

Other than a tibial stress fracture after my senior year in high school track that wiped out my freshman year of running in college I've been very lucky as far as injuries go.  I think I've benefitted from x-c ski racing since high school because it provides a totally new state of mind from running (and more recently swim and bike) and keeps things fresh for 4 months of the year.  By the time spring rolls around I'm chomping at the bit to hit the roads.  Not that I abandon s/b/r altogether in winter...and this winter I'll be hitting the computrainer a lot more than usual.......but I think the non-impact nature of x-c skiing is a huge factor in avoiding injury.  It also demands a lot of leg and upper body strength that helps general fitness.

Folks were mentioning a body weight challenge earlier and I'm up for that...I've gained 6 pounds since Arizona and need to stop that trend.

2013-12-11 1:57 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Can anybody school me on TraningPeaks premium?

What are the best charts to have on your dashboard?  I know the performance management chart is a big one.

Are many of you calculating swim TSS?

2013-12-11 2:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by rymac

What are the best charts to have on your dashboard?  I know the performance management chart is a big one.

I keep a dashboard for each indvidual sport and one for the combined and weight/health
I always have volume by week, measured in meters for swim, km for run and TSS for bike
I have a time in zone by week for run and bike
PMC of course, one long term, one short term
Weight and body fat, blood glucose (i am diabetic). Heck, you can log urine color.
Distribution of time by sport

in WKO I also have charts of best 5', 30', 1hr, 2.5hr layered on top of a PMC with TSS for the week
similar chart for running with best 20', 45', 90' runs layered on top of PMC with volume.

I do swimTSS just to see what is causing the dips in one sport vs the other. For example when my TSS for bike&run is low, it's usually examplained by a high swim. Also to measure increase of load.

Edited by marcag 2013-12-11 2:45 PM

2013-12-11 3:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marcag I also have charts of best 5', 30', 1hr, 2.5hr layered on top of a PMC with TSS for the week 

Marc...do you have a screenshot of this.  I didn't know you can layer maximum power values over the PMC.  How did you do that...or more importantly, how did you figure it out.  I don't think I'm taking full advantage of WKO.

Edited by Jason N 2013-12-11 3:15 PM
2013-12-11 3:22 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Folks were mentioning a body weight challenge earlier and I'm up for that...I've gained 6 pounds since Arizona and need to stop that trend.

I'm in for an accountability challenge here.   Raced IM Canada at 185

12/11 - 196.4

2013-12-11 4:36 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Tomorrow's run workout is a warmup then 20 mins @ T pace followed by a cooldown.  Due to a combination of one of our cars being out of commission and Tab having an appt right after work, I will be running from her work to where the appt is.  To make it even better, I will be going into a headwind for most of it. Forecast is for 30 km/hr winds with a windchill of -22.  

Who's with me????

2013-12-11 4:37 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

I'm in for an accountability challenge here.   Raced IM Canada at 185

12/11 - 196.4

I haven't managed to get below 167 yet.  Myfitnesspal and I haven't been communicating so well lately.

2013-12-11 4:56 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Tomorrow's run workout is a warmup then 20 mins @ T pace followed by a cooldown.  Due to a combination of one of our cars being out of commission and Tab having an appt right after work, I will be running from her work to where the appt is.  To make it even better, I will be going into a headwind for most of it. Forecast is for 30 km/hr winds with a windchill of -22.  

Who's with me????

Shoot, I'm injured.  Otherwise, me, totally, with you

2013-12-11 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Who's with me????

I had a similar workout today. Not quite that cold but 1 F windchill, 20mph wind and snowing like crazy. I had 2x 5k at T-pace. I was running well and still about 20-25 seconds per mile slower. Basically ran by RPE and HR today. Managed to have icycles on my eyebrows by the end.That was a mighty fine hot shower after that. Enjoy that run!We have been getting slammed with lake effect snow off Lake Michigan. Winter has arrived.
2013-12-11 6:50 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by rymac

I keep a dashboard for each indvidual sport and one for the combined and weight/healthI always have volume by week, measured in meters for swim, km for run and TSS for bikeI have a time in zone by week for run and bikePMC of course, one long term, one short termWeight and body fat, blood glucose (i am diabetic). Heck, you can log urine color.Distribution of time by sportin WKO I also have charts of best 5', 30', 1hr, 2.5hr layered on top of a PMC with TSS for the weeksimilar chart for running with best 20', 45', 90' runs layered on top of PMC with volume.I do swimTSS just to see what is causing the dips in one sport vs the other. For example when my TSS for bike&run is low, it's usually examplained by a high swim. Also to measure increase of load.
Thanks Marc. Still trying to figure everything out!
2013-12-11 7:15 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-11 7:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by marcag I also have charts of best 5', 30', 1hr, 2.5hr layered on top of a PMC with TSS for the week 

Marc...do you have a screenshot of this.  I didn't know you can layer maximum power values over the PMC.  How did you do that...or more importantly, how did you figure it out.  I don't think I'm taking full advantage of WKO.

I just switched from Windows to Mac, returned the Windows machine and asked TP for the MAC version which....I won't go there.

From memory, start with a PMC chart. You can the "add" metrics. I think it was mean maximal, and you can then select the duration.

If you can't figure it out I will download a trial version and do it. I have a Windows machie at home, but am now officially a MAC person.

PITA. I can't find the friggin french accents so everyone thinks I don't know how to write.

SBR Utopia is accent free, thank god
2013-12-11 8:02 PM

2013-12-11 8:04 PM

2013-12-11 8:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Yes, Marc, I said no politics here and no accents. I believe I was very clear about this lol. Btw I went Mac 2 years ago and will never go back. All apple products for our family.

I tried Windows 8. That sucked. I figured if nothing is gonna work I am better off being stylish so I got a MacBook Air 11". I am afraid to break the thing it is so small.

So nothing works, but heck, I'm stylish with my Mac.

2013-12-11 8:15 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D Yes, Marc, I said no politics here and no accents. I believe I was very clear about this lol. Btw I went Mac 2 years ago and will never go back. All apple products for our family.
I tried Windows 8. That sucked. I figured if nothing is gonna work I am better off being stylish so I got a MacBook Air 11". I am afraid to break the thing it is so small. So nothing works, but heck, I'm stylish with my Mac.

According to my 9 year old fashionista (the boy no less) - this is all that matters...

2013-12-12 6:21 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

2013-12-12 7:05 AM

Champion
It snowed 35cm here yesterday....today's run may end up a snowshoe or ski...it's only -2C so that's a bonus. So much snowwwwww.

The PG city workers may strike...which means no aquatic/fitness center if they do....apparently swimming is not an essential service?

2013-12-12 7:08 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Champion
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Very cool, Fred!  No doubt you've been a great role model for your daughters....and I'm sure it's very rewarding to see them getting so involved and excelling in swimming!

Also great news on the Zoot team, coaching, and prospects for a successful, fun 2014

Nice Fred!

Exciting about your daughters! I remember being super excited at that age to take lumps of time of my previous best times. Love 200 IM.
2013-12-12 7:11 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Had a decent swim this am, which was the first good swim in over a month (illness). I truly think the best thing about triathlon is that all three sports are similar (aerobic fitness based) and yet different. I was a bit burned out on the bike by November, but then was able to get back into running and now swimming as changes of pace. I really feel that for MOST of us, that in the offseason, putting one of the sports a bit on the back burner is a reasonable idea. Again, I submit for the older people here that running isn't a wonderful one to drop completely, but it sure. Is fun to actually WANT to go and swim instead of feeling you HAVE to do it. ****Question for the group****???? I am contemplating another race in my calendar (so far only IMMT full in August). Thinking a HIM in late May or June. Eagleman is one I've done before, it interested in the groups thoughts? There is a local HIM in late May near State College, however the swim may be pretty brutally cold. What timing do you think would be best for preparing for an August 16 IM. Could also do July?

Fred, have you done a HIM close (July - August) to an IM before?  I know everyone is different but I haven't yet mastered the art of quick recovery from a HIM - certainly not enough to be in full IM training mode.  I know lots of people do it though.

2013-12-12 7:12 AM
in reply to: mndymond

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mndymond It snowed 35cm here yesterday....today's run may end up a snowshoe or ski...it's only -2C so that's a bonus. So much snowwwwww. The PG city workers may strike...which means no aquatic/fitness center if they do....apparently swimming is not an essential service?

Wow, 35cm is a LOT!

2013-12-12 7:39 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D Had a decent swim this am, which was the first good swim in over a month (illness). I truly think the best thing about triathlon is that all three sports are similar (aerobic fitness based) and yet different. I was a bit burned out on the bike by November, but then was able to get back into running and now swimming as changes of pace. I really feel that for MOST of us, that in the offseason, putting one of the sports a bit on the back burner is a reasonable idea. Again, I submit for the older people here that running isn't a wonderful one to drop completely, but it sure. Is fun to actually WANT to go and swim instead of feeling you HAVE to do it. ****Question for the group****???? I am contemplating another race in my calendar (so far only IMMT full in August). Thinking a HIM in late May or June. Eagleman is one I've done before, it interested in the groups thoughts? There is a local HIM in late May near State College, however the swim may be pretty brutally cold. What timing do you think would be best for preparing for an August 16 IM. Could also do July?

Fred, have you done a HIM close (July - August) to an IM before?  I know everyone is different but I haven't yet mastered the art of quick recovery from a HIM - certainly not enough to be in full IM training mode.  I know lots of people do it though.

Yeah, I know people are different, but haven't seen convincing rationale as to why the HIM close in is a good idea. Pretty certain it'd be a terrible idea for me unless I mostly just went through the motions for the HIM.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.