BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-07 7:16 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.
I did the first workout yesterday. Looks like my 5 min value was 248 W.

Here's a link to the ride on Garmin connect: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/425983497

Chris

2014-01-07 7:33 AM
in reply to: croyston

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by croyston

I did the first workout yesterday. Looks like my 5 min value was 248 W.

Here's a link to the ride on Garmin connect: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/425983497

Chris

Excellent. Nice and even, picked up the cadence with 2 minutes to go. Very well executed.
Personally if I overdo the first half my cadence starts to drop, I start to mash and it goes south pretty quick. Yours look great.
Could you have hung on for another minute ?
2014-01-07 7:41 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

OK I have GC up and running.  The cadence part of the GSC10 is not working.  I think I have too much space between the crank are and chain stay. Not sure how to remedy the issue, doesn't work with a rare earth magnet.

I used the 5MINCP.mrc that was posted to get a feel of things and after the 30 sec warm-up intervals I was going to verify spin-down duration and accidentally hit the stop button instead of the pause button. Why oh why are the control button so small and close to each other!  Anyway didn't get to the 5' test as I started messing around with the program controls and after a while I figured out that you can forward to a point in the workout.  It was getting cold in the garage in a hurry, I went from barely sweating to almost shivering, this FL boy wasn't digging the mid 40* temps (and dropping). I'll re-attempt tonight better dressed for the situation. I have to remember what the cold weather garage trainer dress code is!

2014-01-07 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by JAYCT Thanks guys. For those trying to really get there numbers up or worried about a low number, keep in mind it is all relative and focus on your own numbers like an index. Comparing your numbers to others is a futile exercise and not always apples to apples so don't get discouraged (I've tried it). We all want the same thing and are looking for the 5-10% bump. I did ride over 5,000 miles in 2013 though with a bike focuse and have been riding a few years.
Thanks for pointing that out. a) The most important thing is the relative improvement we are going to make. b) Especially for the ladies. It's not watts, it's watts/kg that are king. Ya ya, people are going to say w/cda but the gold standard is watts/kg. Nicole probably weighs half of some of us guys, so she will be zipping up St-Georges faster than we can with half the watts. c) Our power meters are not all 100% the same. People on VP may be 30% over or 30% under their real values. The person with the Crank/pedal based power meter may generate a higher number than the PT.....The numbers must be consistent with ourselves, not across the group. I encourage all to put their numbers out there. It's a motivator to want to improve and to test harder. I am sure improvements are a motivator for Shane, they certainly are for me. I truly believe all these numbers are going to improve significantly. Now....putting our watts/kg is another story. Never ask a woman her weight and never ask an overweight triathlete in the offseason to publish his weight. Let's just say I was happy to hear what Macca hits in the offseason.

I did my 5 min test this morning, and while I'm +15W from where I was in October, I'm not particularly thrilled with my pacing.  I thought I'd be able to average about 215W, so I started out around 210W in hopes of not going out too hard and blowing myself out.  By the last minute, I was up in the 240W range, so I'm somewhat confident that I could have held in the 225-230W range if I'd just started there and held steady. 

Needless to say, I came out with 221W.....and I still suggest we make a standing rule that everyone posts in terms of W/kg

According to the power profile in Coggan's book, that puts me at the top of Cat III / bottom of Cat II, so that's kind of cool.  And my threshold tends to be stronger than my VO2max, so hopefully that continue to hold true and I can see some improvement there as well.  Though it's a bit of a Catch-22 -- it's super cool to see the numbers go up, but then the workouts based on the numbers hurt sooooooooooo much!

2014-01-07 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Marc / Shane / Jason --

I wanted to ask your opinion on doing something like the Tour of Sufferlandria.  As a triathlete, do you see any benefit from doing a week-long (9 days) hard bike focus (which would probably require a big reduction in swim/run volume)?  I did it last year and had fun while doing it, but I don't know if I got any benefit from doing it....and I definitely needed to take some recovery time in the following week, as my legs just weren't responding to what I was asking of them. 

Is there any benefit from doing something like this?  Would it be beneficial depending on the time of year (i.e. where you are in your season)?  Or is one week of a hard bike focus not enough to make any real difference? 

2014-01-07 8:18 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by JAYCT Thanks guys. For those trying to really get there numbers up or worried about a low number, keep in mind it is all relative and focus on your own numbers like an index. Comparing your numbers to others is a futile exercise and not always apples to apples so don't get discouraged (I've tried it). We all want the same thing and are looking for the 5-10% bump. I did ride over 5,000 miles in 2013 though with a bike focuse and have been riding a few years.
Thanks for pointing that out. a) The most important thing is the relative improvement we are going to make. b) Especially for the ladies. It's not watts, it's watts/kg that are king. Ya ya, people are going to say w/cda but the gold standard is watts/kg. Nicole probably weighs half of some of us guys, so she will be zipping up St-Georges faster than we can with half the watts. c) Our power meters are not all 100% the same. People on VP may be 30% over or 30% under their real values. The person with the Crank/pedal based power meter may generate a higher number than the PT.....The numbers must be consistent with ourselves, not across the group. I encourage all to put their numbers out there. It's a motivator to want to improve and to test harder. I am sure improvements are a motivator for Shane, they certainly are for me. I truly believe all these numbers are going to improve significantly. Now....putting our watts/kg is another story. Never ask a woman her weight and never ask an overweight triathlete in the offseason to publish his weight. Let's just say I was happy to hear what Macca hits in the offseason.

I did my 5 min test this morning, and while I'm +15W from where I was in October, I'm not particularly thrilled with my pacing.  I thought I'd be able to average about 215W, so I started out around 210W in hopes of not going out too hard and blowing myself out.  By the last minute, I was up in the 240W range, so I'm somewhat confident that I could have held in the 225-230W range if I'd just started there and held steady. 

Needless to say, I came out with 221W.....and I still suggest we make a standing rule that everyone posts in terms of W/kg

According to the power profile in Coggan's book, that puts me at the top of Cat III / bottom of Cat II, so that's kind of cool.  And my threshold tends to be stronger than my VO2max, so hopefully that continue to hold true and I can see some improvement there as well.  Though it's a bit of a Catch-22 -- it's super cool to see the numbers go up, but then the workouts based on the numbers hurt sooooooooooo much!

Nice job Nicole!  Better to go out a little conservative and finish strong.

The workouts do get tougher as the FTP goes up, specifically the first 2 weeks after.   I have found that improvements stop when the workouts get comfortable which is why scheduled testing is a good thing to keep focused and keep power zones updated.

2014-01-07 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

WOW! Excellent.

You are right, big numbers just mean more painful workouts. Especially if you perform really well on the 20' and slightly under perform on the 5'. It skews the CP a little higher.

I am not looking forward to the 20' test. All I can think about is that rubber glove image from the video :-)

Are you keeping up with your running ?
2014-01-07 8:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Marc / Shane / Jason --

I wanted to ask your opinion on doing something like the Tour of Sufferlandria.  As a triathlete, do you see any benefit from doing a week-long (9 days) hard bike focus (which would probably require a big reduction in swim/run volume)?  I did it last year and had fun while doing it, but I don't know if I got any benefit from doing it....and I definitely needed to take some recovery time in the following week, as my legs just weren't responding to what I was asking of them. 

Is there any benefit from doing something like this?  Would it be beneficial depending on the time of year (i.e. where you are in your season)?  Or is one week of a hard bike focus not enough to make any real difference? 

Me, personally, I wouldn't do it.

First of all your race season is very early. I would not do anything that forces me to cut back significantly on the other 2 sports, especially swimming and running.

Second, you will get plenty of intensity here. You will probably need to cut back a bit on the other 2, but not to the extent of Sufferlandria.

Third, based on your tests, you are very strong on the bike. I wonder how much stronger it will really make you compared to what you will lose elsewhere

HIM is like a Sandwich. You don't want your bike to be the filet mignon between two slices of stale (S/R) bread.

Edited by marcag 2014-01-07 8:29 AM
2014-01-07 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Excellent. Nice and even, picked up the cadence with 2 minutes to go. Very well executed.
Personally if I overdo the first half my cadence starts to drop, I start to mash and it goes south pretty quick. Yours look great.
Could you have hung on for another minute ?

I hung on for a couple of seconds after, but don't think I could have gone a full minute longer.

I'm still getting my biking legs back after taking most of October and November off, so I'm hoping to gain back some of the endurance I had from my IM days.

Chris
2014-01-07 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
w/kg is a good conversation to have. Not sure how many here have spent much time really worrying about it. I've looked at it a lot the past couple years.

It is the main metric, no doubt about it. But for practical purposes, it is better suited for roadies mostly and hilly triathlons. Most single day road races are hilly and if you want to hold on for the attacks they are usually when it kicks up. Crit racing is dependent but usually not a lot of climbing. Raw power is more important and sprinting out of corner and being able to smash it for a couple minutes at 30+mph. I know w/kg is the metric and Marc already pointed it out that aero drag is the real enemy for most time trial courses. Cutting through the wind at 23+mph is tough. All else being equal, 2 people with 4.0 w/kg...the one with 320 ftp vs the lighter guy with 250...the bigger one beats them unless the aero positions are way off. Can't count how many group rides I've been on when a skinny guy is smashing it on the hills, but on the flats during a windy day if a gap forms they are blown off the back like a leaf.

I will say that in triathlon, besides the hilly ones, that having a good w/kg usually corresponds to faster runners too, so there is another benefit that has a pretty strong correlation. You have to be lean to have a decent w/kg so you will see that translate. Most of us aren't doing mountain climbs though.

It is true that most kona qualifier have an ftp of a little over 4.0 w/kg (although I think in the past few years this has been going up a little closer to 4.2 unless you run like a beast), so it is useful in that regard, but my assertion is that it says more about the body type of most KQ guys. Compared to a real roadie, they usually have bigger upper bodies and weight probably close to 15-20lbs more. So, for 155lb guy it is 280 ftp is your floor and 185lb guy it is 330 ftp or so. This assumes that there is a similar amount of cda drag which most KQ types will have taken the time to get pretty good...then, they pick the course that suits them best...lighter in the hills and the bigger guy goes to flatter course where can cut through wind. It really just gives you something to shoot for. Having the ftp and holding it for 5 hours then running is a different problem.

Re: those tables everyone references, they are certainly better than nothing, but they were formed top-down, so the pro level watts and upper cat can be close, but then it is just extrapolating and inaccurate. Any decent Cat 3 roadie deserves a little respect and could crush 99% of triathletes at will. Going on a group ride with a couple decent Cat 3 riders is not for the meek (especially since triathletes just worry about the FT number and no consideration to the shorter ones...your riding along, you look up and then you wonder where they went). I do the same thing everyone else does. I have the table in excel with my numbers highlighted and what watts I'd need to get to the next level. Just food for thought and some rambling for those bored enough to read it.

Thank god it is still January, I don't even want to think about w/kg right now.
2014-01-07 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Marc / Shane / Jason --

Me, personally, I wouldn't do it.

First of all your race season is very early. I would not do anything that forces me to cut back significantly on the other 2 sports, especially swimming and running.

Second, you will get plenty of intensity here. You will probably need to cut back a bit on the other 2, but not to the extent of Sufferlandria.

Third, based on your tests, you are very strong on the bike. I wonder how much stronger it will really make you compared to what you will lose elsewhere

HIM is like a Sandwich. You don't want your bike to be the filet mignon between two slices of stale (S/R) bread.

Like a Sandwich! Nice.

Nicole, I was thinking about doing it but I'm not doing any triathlons early season. I'm not going to do it though and wouldn't if I were you. I agree with everything Marc said. Also, since you already are pretty strong on the bike, I would not ruin 3 weeks of run training by doing it. You bike will set you up in 70.3, but if you can't run well it makes for a demoralizing 13 miles as people just run by you. It begins to exponentially harder to shave time off your bike split, so grabbing 5' off the run can sometimes be easier than the bike if you have no more low hanging fruit...in my opinion.

2014-01-07 9:09 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JAYCT
w/kg is a good conversation to have. Not sure how many here have spent much time really worrying about it. I've looked at it a lot the past couple years.

I agree withe everything you said. Some things I have noticed

When I lose weight, I do lose power. So what I gain in it being easier to go up a hill, I question if I don't lose more in power. Really not sure

It's easier for thinner athletes to get more aero on the bike and in a more aggressive position. Us guys tend to add that 10lbs in the gut which is not great for aero position. I would bet the delta between my road bike FTP and tri bike FTP is greater when I am 10lbs heavier.

2014-01-07 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by JAYCT  It is true that most kona qualifier have an ftp of a little over 4.0 w/kg (although I think in the past few years this has been going up a little closer to 4.2 unless you run like a beast), so it is useful in that regard, but my assertion is that it says more about the body type of most KQ guys. Compared to a real roadie, they usually have bigger upper bodies and weight probably close to 15-20lbs more. So, for 155lb guy it is 280 ftp is your floor and 185lb guy it is 330 ftp or so. This assumes that there is a similar amount of cda drag which most KQ types will have taken the time to get pretty good...then, they pick the course that suits them best...lighter in the hills and the bigger guy goes to flatter course where can cut through wind. It really just gives you something to shoot for.

Interesting conversation on weight.  I'm on the lightweight side of things, and when I did Muskoka (hilly HIM) in 2012 I was down to 147lbs (now at 155), with a w/kg that should have been around 3.6/3.7, but for a myriad of reasons I underperformed on the day.  I have no idea if I was too light for that race, but given I am very much an ectomorph, the weight drop was not significant compared to my regular weight, and I would certainly expect to be a few pounds lighter come race season than I am now.  I like the idea of getting to the floor of 280 ftp, but given my best 20min test to date is 260, it's going to take a lot to increase.  The one thing I have noticed over the years is that improvements get exponentially harder over time.  Pushing  an extra 10watts right now is going to feel a lot easier than in 3 months!!!

2014-01-07 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Since I am using VP through GC I don't have any Garmin Connect links or anything like that. Below are the results from my first workout with the 5 min. test. During that test I averaged 363 Watts. I started in the 340 Watt range then with a minute or so left, picked it up a bit to 380-390. I wasn't exactly sure what to do after the test, the workout states "spin" so I just took it easy after that. Next test I'll go a little harder to get an idea how I feel afterwards. I compared the GC data to the published KK Road Machine power curve, they seem to be in line. I was pretty taxed at the end of the test, not sure how much longer I could have stayed up there, possibly for 10-20 seconds.

I've never payed attention to cadence while riding outside so I don't know if I should pay any attention to it. I guess when I start riding outdoors again I'll take a look since I have the GSC-10 now.

The hard part now is deciding what to start at for the 20' test.

Ignore the CP and Zones, Zones are default GC values I think I guessed at CP.

Edited by reecealan 2014-01-07 10:21 AM

(GC Graph 01062014.JPG)

(GC Summary 01062014.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
GC Graph 01062014.JPG (74KB - 4 downloads)
GC Summary 01062014.JPG (62KB - 4 downloads)
2014-01-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by reecealan Since I am using VP through GC I don't have any Garmin Connect links or anything like that. Below are the results from my first workout with the 5 min. test. During that test I averaged 363 Watts. I started in the 340 Watt range then with a minute or so left, picked it up a bit to 380-390. I wasn't exactly sure what to do after the test, the workout states "spin" so I just took it easy after that. Next test I'll go a little harder to get an idea how I feel afterwards. I compared the GC data to the published KK Road Machine power curve, they seem to be in line. I was pretty taxed at the end of the test, not sure how much longer I could have stayed up there, possibly for 10-20 seconds. I've never payed attention to cadence while riding outside so I don't know if I should pay any attention to it. I guess when I start riding outdoors again I'll take a look since I have the GSC-10 now. The hard part now is deciding what to start at for the 20' test. Ignore the CP and Zones, Zones are default GC values I think I guessed at CP.

Very nice 5' power number reecealan.  My experience on the KK trainer is to start out 35W-40W lower than the 5' average and go from there.

2014-01-07 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by JAYCT

Marc / Shane / Jason --

Me, personally, I wouldn't do it. First of all your race season is very early. I would not do anything that forces me to cut back significantly on the other 2 sports, especially swimming and running. Second, you will get plenty of intensity here. You will probably need to cut back a bit on the other 2, but not to the extent of Sufferlandria. Third, based on your tests, you are very strong on the bike. I wonder how much stronger it will really make you compared to what you will lose elsewhere HIM is like a Sandwich. You don't want your bike to be the filet mignon between two slices of stale (S/R) bread.
Like a Sandwich! Nice. Nicole, I was thinking about doing it but I'm not doing any triathlons early season. I'm not going to do it though and wouldn't if I were you. I agree with everything Marc said. Also, since you already are pretty strong on the bike, I would not ruin 3 weeks of run training by doing it. You bike will set you up in 70.3, but if you can't run well it makes for a demoralizing 13 miles as people just run by you. It begins to exponentially harder to shave time off your bike split, so grabbing 5' off the run can sometimes be easier than the bike if you have no more low hanging fruit...in my opinion.

I'm not planning to do it this year.  I originally was, but when this mentor group opened up, I decided this was more important to me.  I guess my question was more "Is there any benefit to ever doing this as a triathlete?".  I certainly understand the benefit of doing a bike (or swim or run) focus, but is nine days enough to see any real benefit?

Marc -- as for my running, I'm having a bit of foot pain and am getting it checked out tonight.  I'm hoping it's nothing, but I'm mildly concerned that it's a stress fracture.  I went to the LRS to get some running shoes with more cushion and the sales guy put me in a shoe that felt great when running on the springy, rubber mat....but when I ran outside, it wasn't great.  I tried to run in them for a few days (unfortunately on some hills, which probably aggravated it as the downhill is way more pounding than I'm used to) and then ended up looking them up and they were marked for people who want to "run in a minimal shoe with minimal cushion".  Needless to say, they're going back and I've already bought a more cushioned shoe.  Hope it's just going to need a little bit of rest and ice....and if it really is a stress fracture, I'll be back to aquajogging (ugh!!).

2014-01-07 12:13 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by reecealan Since I am using VP through GC I don't have any Garmin Connect links or anything like that. Below are the results from my first workout with the 5 min. test. During that test I averaged 363 Watts. I started in the 340 Watt range then with a minute or so left, picked it up a bit to 380-390. I wasn't exactly sure what to do after the test, the workout states "spin" so I just took it easy after that. Next test I'll go a little harder to get an idea how I feel afterwards. I compared the GC data to the published KK Road Machine power curve, they seem to be in line. I was pretty taxed at the end of the test, not sure how much longer I could have stayed up there, possibly for 10-20 seconds. I've never payed attention to cadence while riding outside so I don't know if I should pay any attention to it. I guess when I start riding outdoors again I'll take a look since I have the GSC-10 now. The hard part now is deciding what to start at for the 20' test. Ignore the CP and Zones, Zones are default GC values I think I guessed at CP.

Very nice test result.  You're all crushing the numbers!

As for the cadence question, I'd say your cadence is really quite low in comparison to what many people would average.  But cadence is also very individual, and the sweet spot is going to vary from person to person.  That said, now that you have this piece of data available to you you can really play around with how different cadences affect you and your power - i.e. putting out the same watts at 80 rpm vs 70 vs 90. 

I noticed that you don't have any HR data, but I'm not sure if that's because you don't use/have one. When playing with different cadences I've found that an HR strap is really nice because it allows you to really quantify how your body is responding to different efforts (even though the same wattage), and lets you learn how your body responds to efforts over a period of time - i.e longer intervals, multiple intervals at the same wattage.  The other benefit is that it may allow you a metric you can use for outdoor riding (allowing some variability), as you'll have a very firm idea of how your HR matches up against your indoor wattage.

Just my 2 cents.

2014-01-07 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Marc -- as for my running, I'm having a bit of foot pain and am getting it checked out tonight.  I'm hoping it's nothing, but I'm mildly concerned that it's a stress fracture.  I went to the LRS to get some running shoes with more cushion and the sales guy put me in a shoe that felt great when running on the springy, rubber mat....but when I ran outside, it wasn't great.  I tried to run in them for a few days (unfortunately on some hills, which probably aggravated it as the downhill is way more pounding than I'm used to) and then ended up looking them up and they were marked for people who want to "run in a minimal shoe with minimal cushion".  Needless to say, they're going back and I've already bought a more cushioned shoe.  Hope it's just going to need a little bit of rest and ice....and if it really is a stress fracture, I'll be back to aquajogging (ugh!!).

I hear ya. My achilles or PF (not sure) is acting up as well. I am scheduled to see a physio tomorrow. I do just enough to not completely lose fitness.
I am just shifting things around a bit, swimming a bit more and that is coming along really well. I am about 5s/100m faster than last September.
I have a swim meet in a few weeks and am anxious to see what it yields.

How about the Hokas ? Would you try those ?

2014-01-07 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by reecealan

Since I am using VP through GC I don't have any Garmin Connect links or anything like that. Below are the results from my first workout with the 5 min. test.

Very well done. I think people are doing a pretty darn good job at packing for a group that has little experience. 20' should be fun :-)
2014-01-07 12:51 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by GoFaster

As for the cadence question, I'd say your cadence is really quite low in comparison to what many people would average.  But cadence is also very individual, and the sweet spot is going to vary from person to person.  That said, now that you have this piece of data available to you you can really play around with how different cadences affect you and your power - i.e. putting out the same watts at 80 rpm vs 70 vs 90. 

I noticed that you don't have any HR data, but I'm not sure if that's because you don't use/have one. When playing with different cadences I've found that an HR strap is really nice because it allows you to really quantify how your body is responding to different efforts (even though the same wattage), and lets you learn how your body responds to efforts over a period of time - i.e longer intervals, multiple intervals at the same wattage.  The other benefit is that it may allow you a metric you can use for outdoor riding (allowing some variability), as you'll have a very firm idea of how your HR matches up against your indoor wattage.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Neil/others for your help and kind words. I'm pretty happy with the numbers especially since I've only logged 16 hours on the bike since the end of September. My W/kg for the 5 min. test was 4.1 so I'm pretty close to CAT 3 caliber according to that power profiling excel file (maybe I'll do a road race some day!).

If I use my Garmin HR monitor (if I can find it, it came with my 305) will that be picked up by the ANT+ USB? Right now GC is getting data from the GSC Speed/Cadence sensor via the ANT+ USB stick. I have the FR 305 but since I have the data on GC I haven't been using the 305. I guess I could run the FR305 then upload the workout after. Will the ANT+ USB pick up HR from the HR strap or does it need to route through the FR305? I guess I can read up on this but hoping I might get a quick/easy suggestion?
2014-01-07 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I hear ya. My achilles or PF (not sure) is acting up as well. I am scheduled to see a physio tomorrow. I do just enough to not completely lose fitness. I am just shifting things around a bit, swimming a bit more and that is coming along really well. I am about 5s/100m faster than last September. I have a swim meet in a few weeks and am anxious to see what it yields. How about the Hokas ? Would you try those ?

I tried the Hokas for a bit and didn't care for them.  However, I think that may have been the specific shoe I had, as it only had a quick lace type system and I could never get my foot to stay stable in the shoe.  A friend has a pair and his have real laces, so maybe I should give them another try.

I picked up a pair of Altra Torins, which are supposed to be a highly cushioned neutral shoe.  Another friend likes his Saucony Cortanas, so they're on my list of shoes to consider.  I've had three gait analyses done and all have said that I'm a natural forefoot sriker and a neutral shoe is what I need.  I've liked my Brooks Pure Project shoes, so I didn't want to go to something with a huge heel-toe drop, like the Hokas....but I did give them a shot.

Your swimming is getting super speedy!  I'm excited to hear about your swim meet

2014-01-07 1:29 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by reecealan
Originally posted by GoFaster

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Neil/others for your help and kind words. I'm pretty happy with the numbers especially since I've only logged 16 hours on the bike since the end of September. My W/kg for the 5 min. test was 4.1 so I'm pretty close to CAT 3 caliber according to that power profiling excel file (maybe I'll do a road race some day!). If I use my Garmin HR monitor (if I can find it, it came with my 305) will that be picked up by the ANT+ USB? Right now GC is getting data from the GSC Speed/Cadence sensor via the ANT+ USB stick. I have the FR 305 but since I have the data on GC I haven't been using the 305. I guess I could run the FR305 then upload the workout after. Will the ANT+ USB pick up HR from the HR strap or does it need to route through the FR305? I guess I can read up on this but hoping I might get a quick/easy suggestion?

It will pick up your ANT+ HR monitor

2014-01-07 1:55 PM

User image

, Washington

Here is my 5min test.  Ok, so this is my 1st 5 min test and I'm going to follow the coach's advice and ignore the numbers.  I'm gauging my success at how well I followed the test protocol.  I think I did ok although it appears I started out a bit too easy. 

Tri bike, seated w/Computrainer utilizing PerfPro (Manual, course modes) and uploaded to GC

Edited by RandyP 2014-01-07 2:00 PM
2014-01-07 2:03 PM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RandyP

Here is my 5min test.  Ok, so this is my 1st 5 min test and I'm going to follow the coach's advice and ignore the numbers.  I'm gauging my success at how well I followed the test protocol.  I think I did ok although it appears I started out a bit too light. 

Tri bike, seated w/Computrainer utilizing PerfPro (Manual, course modes) and uploaded to GC

So what does it give you for the average of the 5' ?

Trust me, the ramping up of the power over those 5' is much better than going in the other direction. Overcooking and holding on for dear life is not fun.

How/when do you do your Computrainer calibration/roll down ? I do it in my warm up at 1', 3', 6' and 10'. You have something going on at around 7-8 min
2014-01-07 2:39 PM

User image

, Washington

Originally posted by RandyP

Here is my 5min test.  Ok, so this is my 1st 5 min test and I'm going to follow the coach's advice and ignore the numbers.  I'm gauging my success at how well I followed the test protocol.  I think I did ok although it appears I started out a bit too light. 

So what does it give you for the average of the 5' ? Trust me, the ramping up of the power over those 5' is much better than going in the other direction. Overcooking and holding on for dear life is not fun. How/when do you do your Computrainer calibration/roll down ? I do it in my warm up at 1', 3', 6' and 10'. You have something going on at around 7-8 min

I guess that's an important piece to leave out.  Here's the details for the 5min portion only:

AvgMax Min 
Power 267 371 208 
HR168181136 
Cad939782

Looks like I've got some work to do!!

Next time, I'll leave the graph out.

I calibrated right around the 7-8 minutes and again around 15min or so.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 61424 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.