BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-01 3:14 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Only caught up to page 6, but figured I better get this done!

NAME: Kirsten/IronOx/KirstIron

STORY: Sporty all my life, Soccer from age 6-ish, Track and Field, Basketball, Volleyball, Skiing.  Stopped most but soccer after high school.  Ruptured my cruciate ligament playing soccer in early 30's.  Started playing hockey as less plant and twist. 

Always wanted to run a marathon, but never thought I could because of bad knee and ankles.  Watching Biggest Loser and saw contestants way heavier than me, with bad knees and ankles completing them, so figured I better get at it.  Started running in 2009, ran Mary in 2010.  Not fast, but completed.  Kept running, but went to HM distance. 

Had always wanted to try triathlon--I remember hearing about IMC in 1982, when I was 10, thinking that they were crazy and I wanted to do that someday.  Started swimming in fall 2011 (I swam as a kid, but not 'laps'), did my first HIM in 2012.  Several sprints, Oly's, a couple HIM's and my first IM this past summer.  Still loving it!

FAMILY STATUS: Partner and I working on 8 years; 3 dogs, 2 cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: Swimming 3x/week, biking 2-3x/week, Running 3+x/week.  Will start IM training in April.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:

Vancouver HM May

Victoria 70.3 in June

IM Copenhagen in Aug (I still shake my head when I say that...)

Possibly a Hot Chocolate 15km in March, some other shorter races here and there, but not paid for yet

BODY COMPOSITION: Lost about 7 lbs in the fall, I have put a few back on over the holidays.  I am working towards a racing weight of 140, about 7 more lbs to lose.

I am not as active a Manatee as I would like--last semester was really busy--but I am hoping that this semester will be more settled and I will be able to check in more!  So nice to see all the new faces and look forward to getting to know you all.

2015-01-01 4:20 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Just to make it official, I'm taking myself off the DL.

2015-01-01 4:53 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
What is the DL for the uninitiated?
2015-01-01 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by msteinerWhat is the DL for the uninitiated?
disabled list
2015-01-01 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ponderingfox

You must have missed the post.  The DL is being reset.  If you feel that you need to be on the DL, please PM me.  Mary, this means you.

2015-01-01 5:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Welcome Troy, I am just the most recent to give you a big "Thank You!" for your service. It looks like we are roughly the same size and I can tell you that every pound I dropped helped not only my racing but my everyday life as well. I am back to the 220's at this point and hoping to race between 205-210 this year. Doc says 200 is where he'd like me, but I don't know if that challenge meshes well with my love of food. So, let's see what we can do in this battle of the bulge, shall we?

I think it just means to be more active. 

Was going to ride today, but cut my finger while helping my brother with something. Nothing big, but took well past an hour for it to close even with constant pressure on it the entire time. Usually these stop fairly quick for me.

2015-01-01 5:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

You must have missed the post.  The DL is being reset.  If you feel that you need to be on the DL, please PM me.  Mary, this means you.

It's not official until your list is out.

2015-01-01 6:29 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!
Thank you Mary! I am so happy to be a part of such a great group, and look forward to learning a little more about everyone and gaining some strength through like-minded people!

I'm glad to know you have an MSW, I love having go to people that have done the program.

Thank you for checking in with me and the welcome!
2015-01-01 6:49 PM
in reply to: amy mutz

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  

Well, we started off the new year with a raging thundery rain storm which meant that we had 2 freaked out kitties - one of which decided that under the covers and melded to me was the best place to pass the storm.  For 2 hours.  

It was a tad hard waking up this morning, but we eventually made it to the living room, out for some grocery shopping and then to go and meet 2 rescue dogs that we're hoping to adopt!  OMG - I wanted to take them home NOW, but thankfully the foster parents (who have NINE dogs (down from 13), a cat and a pig living with them right now) said if we decide to adopt the pups we can leave them with the foster family until we move into the d*mn house.  The only fly in the ointment I see with my awesome master plan is that there is another family going over to check out one of the rescue pups and as they called first, they get the first decision to say whether they want to adopt the one or not.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be able to give them BOTH a home, but either way, the pups will be going to good homes.  :D 

WOOT!  

2015-01-01 7:01 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by IronOx

I am not as active a Manatee as I would like--last semester was really busy--but I am hoping that this semester will be more settled and I will be able to check in more!  So nice to see all the new faces and look forward to getting to know you all.

Huh, you too? I feel that way about race reports ... except I'm not even narrowing the gap at all! (I think I wrote 1 this year)

2015-01-01 7:10 PM
in reply to: #5078475

User image

Oh boy...I leave for new years for a couple of days and I now have an hours worth of posts to catch up on!

2015-01-01 7:24 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  

Well, we started off the new year with a raging thundery rain storm which meant that we had 2 freaked out kitties - one of which decided that under the covers and melded to me was the best place to pass the storm.  For 2 hours.  

It was a tad hard waking up this morning, but we eventually made it to the living room, out for some grocery shopping and then to go and meet 2 rescue dogs that we're hoping to adopt!  OMG - I wanted to take them home NOW, but thankfully the foster parents (who have NINE dogs (down from 13), a cat and a pig living with them right now) said if we decide to adopt the pups we can leave them with the foster family until we move into the d*mn house.  The only fly in the ointment I see with my awesome master plan is that there is another family going over to check out one of the rescue pups and as they called first, they get the first decision to say whether they want to adopt the one or not.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be able to give them BOTH a home, but either way, the pups will be going to good homes.  :D 

WOOT!  

Yay, new puppies! What kind?
2015-01-01 7:33 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Huh, you too? I feel that way about race reports ... except I'm not even narrowing the gap at all! (I think I wrote 1 this year)

You know typing might help retain some dexterity while you're so busy not swimming. 

2015-01-01 7:35 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  

WOOT!  

The rescue kind!!  On the left is Deuce and on the right in Brisket - we're hoping to be able to adopt them both, but there's another family going to meet with Deuce tonight.  Sad face.  

Deuce and Brisket

2015-01-01 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I saw the post.  But it still feels good to say it.

2015-01-01 8:44 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

You know typing might help retain some dexterity while you're so busy not swimming. 

Oh snap!

2015-01-01 8:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I said I was going to post a race schedule, so here's mine:

1/10 Mississippi Blues Marathon Quarternote (6.7 miles)
2/28-3/1 -    Colvin 20k ITT and crit
3/15  -   Rouge Roubaix
4/11 - Racin for the Seed Duathlon (defending my overall win from last year!)
5/2 -3      Mississippi Gran Prix Omnium
6/6  Heatwave Classic (Intermediate distance tri)
8/16      Little Mountain Ride
8/29-30 yet tbd Omnium put on by my team

Possibly some more will pop up here and there, but that's what's on the docket for now.

Edited by msteiner 2015-01-01 10:05 PM
2015-01-01 9:49 PM

User image

Denver, CO

That's super, Tom!!

Yes ma'am, Janyne, right away ma'am. 

2015-01-01 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

*Knock knock* Can I come back to play?

Hiya Manatees, old and new! I fell off of triathlons and of BT last year, but I am back now and intend to stick around a lot more--I just updated my race calendar for 2015--anywhere from 17 to 19 events, depending on work schedule permitting. One of those will be my first 70.3!  and I will do a marathon once again--this time aiming for a finish time of less than 6 hours! I also plan on running at least 2015 miles this year. 

For an intro:

My name is Kate, aka. Katifrog, I am a zookeeper specializing in reptiles and amphibians, married, no kids, but plenty of pets--furred and non. I do all sorts of racing--running, triathlon, and obstacle courses. I am not terribly fast, but I always have a good time. 

I also do other stuff--cross stitching, reading, martial arts, and I have a weird tendency to create costumes--generally of animals...around October...so far I have created a Crocodile, an Otter, a Wolverine, and a Black and White Ruffed Lemur (for a coworker's toddler) among others...

For the coming year, I really want to become more than just a racing person who completes the races--this year I wanna compete! So I intend to really...okay, ACTUALLY train...I have a nasty habit of NOT training and just doing the races....So this year I will train.

That's all I got for now...

Oh yeah--I started off my year right--a nice little 2 mile run today...

2015-01-01 10:53 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  

WOOT!  

The rescue kind!!  On the left is Deuce and on the right in Brisket - we're hoping to be able to adopt them both, but there's another family going to meet with Deuce tonight.  Sad face.  

Deuce and Brisket

Sooooooooooo cute!!  Good luck on getting them!

2015-01-01 10:54 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Master

Originally posted by kgore

*Knock knock* Can I come back to play?

Hiya Manatees, old and new! I fell off of triathlons and of BT last year, but I am back now and intend to stick around a lot more--I just updated my race calendar for 2015--anywhere from 17 to 19 events, depending on work schedule permitting. One of those will be my first 70.3!  and I will do a marathon once again--this time aiming for a finish time of less than 6 hours! I also plan on running at least 2015 miles this year. 

For an intro:

My name is Kate, aka. Katifrog, I am a zookeeper specializing in reptiles and amphibians, married, no kids, but plenty of pets--furred and non. I do all sorts of racing--running, triathlon, and obstacle courses. I am not terribly fast, but I always have a good time. 

I also do other stuff--cross stitching, reading, martial arts, and I have a weird tendency to create costumes--generally of animals...around October...so far I have created a Crocodile, an Otter, a Wolverine, and a Black and White Ruffed Lemur (for a coworker's toddler) among others...

For the coming year, I really want to become more than just a racing person who completes the races--this year I wanna compete! So I intend to really...okay, ACTUALLY train...I have a nasty habit of NOT training and just doing the races....So this year I will train.

That's all I got for now...

Oh yeah--I started off my year right--a nice little 2 mile run today...

Yay!  So nice to see you Kate!

2015-01-01 11:32 PM

User image

Master

FINALLY!!!

I'm Erin/Goody.

Most recently I'm a SAHM/IronWife/TriDabbler. I was a teacher for 12 years. For the last three of those I dropped my son at daycare at 6:30am and didn't pick him up until 5. I made the choice to put teaching on hold when we found out about baby #2. There wasn't a way I could justify paying for someone else to raise my kids.  I've always enjoyed playing the "typical" sports: football, baseball, volleyball, basketball, soccer. My mom made sure I was exposed to a variety of activities from a young age: ballet, tumbling, ice skating, bowling. In elementary, I was about the only girl who played with the boys. I couldn't stand sitting on the sidelines.  My 8th grade year I started babysitting for a Sunday school so that I could save money to buy my horse (I had him for 23 years). Then I blew out my knee during an intramural basketball game in college, and things haven't ever been the same. (long story, surgery and rehab included). I've tried mountain bikes and dirt bikes. I never thought I'd try Tri or complete a marathon. Until....I watched my DH get excited about it and try to convince me to sign up for one, and then heard myself tell my then 4yo son, "How do you know you won't like it unless you try? You have to try things." ugh. Good advice, Mom. First Tri was two years ago. Since then I've done several sprints, an HM, a Marathon, and a couple of mtn bike races, with a sprinkling of other races thrown in for good measure.

Married for a decade now to my DH (aka J), a recently announced Ironman who may pop in from time to time. We have a 7yo boy and a 4yo girl (fair warning that you'll see lots of pics).  Pretty much all of our babysitting money is spent on mountain biking/trail running/road riding "dates". I am a very grumpy mom/wife if we miss our weekend time away. I adore my kids, but....not that much .  Our zoo includes four dogs ranging in size from 10lbs to 110lbs, a drooling cat, and a leopard gecko rescued off a friend's kitchen floor.

Ahhhh....training. The elusive thing for me this time of year. I will find it again. Traveling sucks for training and so do injuries. Since September I've had broken teeth, broken toe, cactus butt/arm, sprained wrist, and strained calf. Plus almost two weeks away at the in-law's in Kansas. Sheesh!

Due to our lives being rather up in the air right now, DH and I have agreed that it's best that we don't sign up for anything much in advance. We'll keep our eyes out for good deals with a week's notice or so. It's a little disappointing, but we have to be smart about finances and possibility of moving. I do want to add a couple of trail races to the race list this year.

My jeans are too tight. The end.

2015-01-02 6:06 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by brigby1

Oh snap!

MOMMY THE PUPPIES ARE NIPPING AT MY HEELS

Okay, okay.

2015-01-02 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt, that looks like a pretty good list, one a month or so. It looks like a little bit of everything thrown into it. Have fun!

2015-01-02 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  

WOOT!  

Austin TX ?? How did you get there?
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55375 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.