BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-11 3:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN
Originally posted by Lanne

Hey Stace
Yeah I'm on my own too, I quite like it but it is nice to have someone to go with.
No jellyfish for me at Hillary's probably stingers I'd say they can be bad around Hillary's, if you lather up in sun cream or a bit baby oil they slip over the skin and don't sting. I grew up in busselton where they are horrendous!

So race today hot, terrible run 38:14 min 5 km
But on a plus side swim was faster and longer than last one bike was comfortable. I don't push my self on the bike because I know I have to run after

And got a call to say my shoes are in- finally moving to clip ins!
Exciting but scary

Lake was no where near as bad as everyone made out, deep water start, no smell (didn't taste it ) some people were saying it wasn't measured correctly and thought it was more 850-900m course but who knows! The rowing buoys are great indicators to keep you swimming straight
Good on you Lana I will admit that I have spent nearly all day in the air conditioning, "helping" DH pack for his trip. And your terrible run time is what I would love to be able to do 5k in.

Thanks for the tip for the stingers, growing up in Esperance the water is waaaaay too cold for stingers, even in the middle of summer you need a full length wetsuit and an ample amount of pee to keep yourself warm.

Also would love to meet up for a ride sometime if we can work it out. What part of Perth do you live in?

Edited by StaceyK 2014-01-11 3:42 AM

2014-01-11 3:40 AM
in reply to: tritiny

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by tritiny

May I join your group?

NAME:Tiana

STORY: I remember watching the Kona Ironman on TV when I was in High School and thinking I really want to do that someday. Over the year's I watched the Ironman several more times and still thinking I wanted to do it. In 2010 I decided if I was going to do it I'd better get started. I did 3 sprints and a BIke MS that summer. In the fall I fell off my porch while I was holding my daughter. My daughter was fine no injuries but I sprained my right ankle very bad. In 2011 I took a whole year off of running. While I did swim some, and did some aqua jogging I did mostly cycling. I did a few bike events. In 2012 I started out the year doing alot of walking and aqua jogging. Then I did a little runing on land. My ankle was feeling better not 100% but alot better. I was also cycling and did a Bike MS. I was feeling good and was able to sign up for Ironman Florida through Endurance Sports Travel. I felt good about my biking and swimming and I had a walk/run plan for the run. During the swim I jammed my foot in the sand and fell totally spraining that rt ankle again. Total disappointment and I went into a bit of depression. I gained weight. It hurt to walk. The doctor said I would need surgery. I didn't want surgery. It hurt to clip in and out so I stopped cycling as much. I think my brother in law got tired of seeiing me mope and signed me up for a bike event without telling me first. We put new pedals on my bike that one is flat and the clip in. I started riding without being cliped in. Last Fall I went to a new doctor. And in November I had surgery on my ankle. I had completely torn a ligament so I have an artifical fiber one now. I'm still healing and in PT.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, never been married (Looking) I was a foster mother and was ablle to adopt my two girls.

CURRENT TRAINING:My current training is Physical Therpy and riding my bike on the trainer. My ankle is slowly healing. It still hurts when I walk.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
April Salt Lake City Marathon bike tour They let the bikes go before the runners.
June Litlle Red Ridng Hood a women's only bike ride I signed up for the lottery so I hope I get in.

BODY COMPOSITION: I'm the highest weight I've ever been. About 165 I'd love to get back down 125 or 130 again.

Welcome Tiana.
2014-01-11 3:41 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by bcraht

Random Manatee question: if you bump into someone accidentally, what do you say?

Excuse me, or sorry.

Did something happen?
2014-01-11 3:43 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hey Yanti I forgot to say that I would be happy for you to join me on my trip to Mandurah. Did you find out if you would be home in time the night before?
2014-01-11 3:52 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by LanneHey StaceYeah I'm on my own too, I quite like it but it is nice to have someone to go with. No jellyfish for me at Hillary's probably stingers I'd say they can be bad around Hillary's, if you lather up in sun cream or a bit baby oil they slip over the skin and don't sting. I grew up in busselton where they are horrendous!So race today hot, terrible run 38:14 min 5 km But on a plus side swim was faster and longer than last one bike was comfortable. I don't push my self on the bike because I know I have to run after And got a call to say my shoes are in- finally moving to clip ins!Exciting but scaryLake was no where near as bad as everyone made out, deep water start, no smell (didn't taste it ) some people were saying it wasn't measured correctly and thought it was more 850-900m course but who knows! The rowing buoys are great indicators to keep you swimming straight
Congratulations, sounds like you had a great race- especially considering the conditions!
2014-01-11 3:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Random Manatee question: if you bump into someone accidentally, what do you say?

Get out of my way! Or, pardon me, or sorry etc.

2014-01-11 4:08 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by amd723

Ok runny peeps.  Starting to shop for new shoes as my Adistar Rides seem to have been discontinued...  What is a 2mm drop difference likely to do.  Am I going to feel it?  from 10mm to 12 mm.  Ideas?

So, you are going up, eg, getting a lesser drop shoe? I know people say they usually need to start out slowly when moving to a lower drop shoes. Don't know if the same holds true in reverse . So, basically, I'm like Monica and can offer no help!

I haven't run in anything with more than 4mm heel drop for the past 2 years. I went from Brooks Trance to barefoot then settled on 4mm. This seems to be the sweet spot for me. I doubt you'd notice a 2mm drop from 10 to 12mm, they're both quite big and suit heel striking. I'd be going the other way.

2014-01-11 4:18 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Expert
Noosa
Great Noosa day today, sunny 29 c, bike ride in the morning followed by coffee at a cute little coffee shop by the ocean, surfing this afternoon then a quick 5k jog and lamb on the barbie!
2014-01-11 5:46 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Hey Yanti I forgot to say that I would be happy for you to join me on my trip to Mandurah. Did you find out if you would be home in time the night before?

Rats, I was hoping you'd forget but yep, I'll be tagging along! Can't have you weaseling out of a perfectly good training day / new training kickstarter. Wait, I'm talking about me again.

I'll be at your place at 4:45am.

2014-01-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

If I haven't said it yet, welcome to all, buckle in the ride is just starting!

Goooooooo Racers!!!!!!!!!

Heal sickies!!!!!!!!

I had a rough trail run this morning and was reminded of the number of other muscles that get more involved when running on uneven surfaces. It may be mental, but I am whooped a bit. In a good way. I thought of my northern running brethren that would love to be sweating the way I was today. It has warmed up a bit, and I can say that I survived the winter of 2014. Both days of it!

I hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend. I leave you with this nugget from Kid President - "Give people high-fives just for getting out of bed. Being a person is hard sometimes." So consider this a high five to all of you from me.

2014-01-11 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4922219

User image

I like that a lot Chris

2014-01-11 11:08 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Heal sickies!!!!!!!!

I had a rough trail run this morning and was reminded of the number of other muscles that get more involved when running on uneven surfaces. It may be mental, but I am whooped a bit. In a good way. I thought of my northern running brethren that would love to be sweating the way I was today. It has warmed up a bit, and I can say that I survived the winter of 2014. Both days of it!

I hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend. I leave you with this nugget from Kid President - "Give people high-fives just for getting out of bed. Being a person is hard sometimes." So consider this a high five to all of you from me.

Yeah, I don't understand why people have complained about winter, I survived easily  

2014-01-11 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Paging Janyne and Chris or any other computer savy manatee!  Can you explain what I have done wrong in copying the manatee roster from Janyne's log - it stripped all the links, so i just got an unformatted list of names.  Help please!

2014-01-11 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Gooooo Monica! Stay warm...or at least don't freeze. :D. Have a great race, Lana! You DL people.....you know the drill.
2014-01-11 12:12 PM

User image

Master

Paging Janyne and Chris or any other computer savy manatee!  Can you explain what I have done wrong in copying the manatee roster from Janyne's log - it stripped all the links, so i just got an unformatted list of names.  Help please!

\oooooh oooh pick me.  I spent awhile figuring this out last night (and was so proud of myself when I did .  Copy the source code below.  Go to 'edit dashboard' in your log.  Open 'tools' and '<source code>' and paste the source code there.  Voila!

<table style="font-size: small;" border="1" align="center">
<thead>
<tr><th colspan="2">
<p style="text-align: center;">Winter/Spring 2014<br />Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014!</p>
</th></tr>
<tr><th style="text-align: left;" colspan="2">&nbsp;</th></tr>
<tr><th style="text-align: left;" colspan="2"><strong>Manatee <a href="https://plus.google.com/photos/113601404233718914952/albums/5853431422368875233" target="_blank">bike gallery</a></strong></th></tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td>Yanti (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=57784">TriAya</a></td>
<td>WL (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=370774">wlalberts</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Chris (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=217316">cdban66</a></td>
<td>Kim (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=85339">tricupcake </a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Randee (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=337551">mtnbikerchk</a></td>
<td>Ashley (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=370745">awalden22 </a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Ann-Marie(<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=166384">amd723</a></td>
<td>Lana (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=340965">lanne</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Janyne (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=137460">jmkizer</a></td>
<td>Tom (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=319350">ponderingfox)</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>TJ (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=273841">rrrunner</a></td>
<td>David (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=199240">copa2251</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Melanie (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=165273">melbo55</a></td>
<td>Marc (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=146584">marcag</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Kate (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=209117">kgore</a></td>
<td>Jill (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=370800">jilliebeanmn</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Kirsten (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=278877">bcraht</a></td>
<td>Jonathan TX (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=307844">JJ-</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Jen (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=15806">Artemis</a></td>
<td>Michael (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=150274">MadMathemagician</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Monica (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=176861">blueyedbikergirl</a></td>
<td>Erin (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=326611">4agoodlife</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Darren (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=334043">Richardsdrr</a></td>
<td>Ben (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=206902">brigby1</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Stacey (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=338694">StaceyK</a></td>
<td>Adrienne (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=234039">Asalzwed</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Mark (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=115157">Buckshot</a></td>
<td>Scott (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=358342">RollTideTri</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Judi (<a href="/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=45470">QueenZipp</a></td>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

2014-01-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It looks like you didn't get the whole table, just the contents or the text. I'll see what happens for me and let you know.

ETA: Never mind. Kirsten is Too Cool for school!

Edited by cdban66 2014-01-11 12:14 PM

2014-01-11 12:52 PM

User image

\oooooh oooh pick me.  I spent awhile figuring this out last night (and was so proud of myself when I did .  Copy the source code below.  Go to 'edit dashboard' in your log.  Open 'tools' and '' and paste the source code there.  Voila!

Winter/Spring 2014
Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014!

Manatee bike gallery
Yanti (TriAya)WL (wlalberts)
Chris (cdban66)Kim (tricupcake )
Randee (mtnbikerchk)Ashley (awalden22 )
Ann-Marie(amd723)Lana (lanne)
Janyne (jmkizer)Tom (ponderingfox)
TJ (rrrunner)David (copa2251)
Melanie (melbo55)Marc (marcag)
Kate (kgore)Jill (jilliebeanmn)
Kirsten (bcraht)Jonathan TX (JJ-)
Jen (Artemis)Michael (MadMathemagician)
Monica (blueyedbikergirl)Erin (4agoodlife)
Darren (Richardsdrr)Ben (brigby1)
Stacey (StaceyK)Adrienne (Asalzwed)
Mark (Buckshot)Scott (RollTideTri)
Judi (QueenZipp) 

Thanks for this! I was trying to figure out how to get the table on my dashboard and this worked perfectly!

Ashley
2014-01-11 12:52 PM

User image

\oooooh oooh pick me.  I spent awhile figuring this out last night (and was so proud of myself when I did .  Copy the source code below.  Go to 'edit dashboard' in your log.  Open 'tools' and '' and paste the source code there.  Voila!

Winter/Spring 2014
Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014!

Manatee bike gallery
Yanti (TriAya)WL (wlalberts)
Chris (cdban66)Kim (tricupcake )
Randee (mtnbikerchk)Ashley (awalden22 )
Ann-Marie(amd723)Lana (lanne)
Janyne (jmkizer)Tom (ponderingfox)
TJ (rrrunner)David (copa2251)
Melanie (melbo55)Marc (marcag)
Kate (kgore)Jill (jilliebeanmn)
Kirsten (bcraht)Jonathan TX (JJ-)
Jen (Artemis)Michael (MadMathemagician)
Monica (blueyedbikergirl)Erin (4agoodlife)
Darren (Richardsdrr)Ben (brigby1)
Stacey (StaceyK)Adrienne (Asalzwed)
Mark (Buckshot)Scott (RollTideTri)
Judi (QueenZipp) 

Thanks for this! I was trying to figure out how to get the table on my dashboard and this worked perfectly!

Ashley
2014-01-11 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Heal sickies!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I don't understand why people have complained about winter, I survived easily  

I saw a t-shirt that said "I survived the two day Florida winter" and thought of you two!

2014-01-11 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Heal sickies!!!!!!!!

I am looking at going down to Clermont in Feb. How cool/warm is it that time of year ? I have been in April but never as early as Feb.

2014-01-11 1:28 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK

Excuse me, or sorry. Did something happen?

Well, yes but no.  I was just curious on the split between 'sorry' and 'excuse me'.  We were out running as a group on Thursday.  We came upon someone walking, and she had an umbrella.  We always call out 'walker' to the people behind, and in this instance, as it was a bit dark, I added "umbrella".  The walker immediately apologized (basically just for being there).  Then yesterday, I was going to go into the restroom, and a woman was holding the door with her foot while throwing out a towel, essentially blocking the door.  When she saw she she apologized profusely.  It just struck me that people often apologize 'just for being'.  I think 'excuse me' is much better, because I don't have any more right to occupy that space than you do--ie you shouldn't have to apologize.  I may have been channeling Chris at the time.  (Compliment, Chris, I love how 'deep' you think )

2014-01-11 1:47 PM

User image

Seattle

Well, yes but no.  I was just curious on the split between 'sorry' and 'excuse me'.  We were out running as a group on Thursday.  We came upon someone walking, and she had an umbrella.  We always call out 'walker' to the people behind, and in this instance, as it was a bit dark, I added "umbrella".  The walker immediately apologized (basically just for being there).  Then yesterday, I was going to go into the restroom, and a woman was holding the door with her foot while throwing out a towel, essentially blocking the door.  When she saw she she apologized profusely.  It just struck me that people often apologize 'just for being'.  I think 'excuse me' is much better, because I don't have any more right to occupy that space than you do--ie you shouldn't have to apologize.  I may have been channeling Chris at the time.  (Compliment, Chris, I love how 'deep' you think )

that's because Canadians apologize for everything.
2014-01-11 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Kirsten,

thank you!  as i dont even know what a source code is, i never would have figured this out!  dont know why i copied it without issue last year, but there you go!

2014-01-11 2:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

that's because Canadians apologize for everything.

Well, that was part of my reasoning for asking the Pod! 

2014-01-11 2:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marcag

Heal sickies!!!!!!!!

I am looking at going down to Clermont in Feb. How cool/warm is it that time of year ? I have been in April but never as early as Feb.

The average highs are in the mid to high 70s and lows in the mid 50s.  Of course, we've been warmer than normal this year, eg, today will be low to mid 80s. Are you coming down to ride our "hills"?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25840 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38403 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18413 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.