BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-02 9:07 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!
Monica...good luck on the pups. Rescue is my favorite breed (I have 3!), though mine prefer to be called "Multi-cultural canine Americans."

How about yesterday's football!!!???? As a Buckeye myself (graduated in 1993 and lived 30 of my 43 years in Ohio), I'm pretty pleased (and exhausted because I haven't stayed up until 1:00 a.m. for a really, really long time). Plus, I live in SEC and my school secretary is a huge Alabama fan. Going back to work on Monday now seems a little less disappointing. LOL

2015-01-02 9:26 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  

Well, we started off the new year with a raging thundery rain storm which meant that we had 2 freaked out kitties - one of which decided that under the covers and melded to me was the best place to pass the storm.  For 2 hours.  

It was a tad hard waking up this morning, but we eventually made it to the living room, out for some grocery shopping and then to go and meet 2 rescue dogs that we're hoping to adopt!  OMG - I wanted to take them home NOW, but thankfully the foster parents (who have NINE dogs (down from 13), a cat and a pig living with them right now) said if we decide to adopt the pups we can leave them with the foster family until we move into the d*mn house.  The only fly in the ointment I see with my awesome master plan is that there is another family going over to check out one of the rescue pups and as they called first, they get the first decision to say whether they want to adopt the one or not.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be able to give them BOTH a home, but either way, the pups will be going to good homes.  :D 

WOOT!  

Austin TX ?? How did you get there?

We drove here from Chicago.  Twice.  The drive becomes especially long when doing the 19 hour drive in a minivan stuffed full of boxes, bikes & belongings and 2 cats...   

2015-01-02 9:32 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by glfprncs Monica...good luck on the pups. Rescue is my favorite breed (I have 3!), though mine prefer to be called "Multi-cultural canine Americans." How about yesterday's football!!!???? As a Buckeye myself (graduated in 1993 and lived 30 of my 43 years in Ohio), I'm pretty pleased (and exhausted because I haven't stayed up until 1:00 a.m. for a really, really long time). Plus, I live in SEC and my school secretary is a huge Alabama fan. Going back to work on Monday now seems a little less disappointing. LOL

Thanks!!  We KNOW we'll be taking Brisket home with us, but the other family that went to look at Deuce want to take him for a sleepover this weekend.  He's such a low-energy dog/big pile of gooey love that I'm sure he would fit in with any family.  And I'll be happy for him as long as he's going to a good home.  It just means we'll find another rescue pup to add to the family!  

Oh man, the football yesterday!  We were up until midnight watching the Ohio State game, the championship game is going to be a doozy!!  :D 

2015-01-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by glfprncs Monica...good luck on the pups. Rescue is my favorite breed (I have 3!), though mine prefer to be called "Multi-cultural canine Americans." How about yesterday's football!!!???? As a Buckeye myself (graduated in 1993 and lived 30 of my 43 years in Ohio), I'm pretty pleased (and exhausted because I haven't stayed up until 1:00 a.m. for a really, really long time). Plus, I live in SEC and my school secretary is a huge Alabama fan. Going back to work on Monday now seems a little less disappointing. LOL

Thanks!!  We KNOW we'll be taking Brisket home with us, but the other family that went to look at Deuce want to take him for a sleepover this weekend.  He's such a low-energy dog/big pile of gooey love that I'm sure he would fit in with any family.  And I'll be happy for him as long as he's going to a good home.  It just means we'll find another rescue pup to add to the family!  

Oh man, the football yesterday!  We were up until midnight watching the Ohio State game, the championship game is going to be a doozy!!  :D 

I'm pretty disappointed in the results of the SEC the past few days. They had a chance to prove that there was no media bias that propped up their ratings, and they fell flat on their collective face.  I was especially disappointed in my alma mater (Mississippi State) who was ranked #1 at one point in the season.

2015-01-02 11:28 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Denver, CO

Welcome back, Kate!!  Glad to have you back.  Wanna get in on the challenge (see rules on p. 1)?  You're already be 1/1 since you did your run yesterday. 

Speaking of the SMMMMC ("Smack"?  "Smooch"?  "Schmuck"?), I think it should be a positive thing, not an way to shame people if they miss a day.  We currently have 18 people participating, so I'll be reporting as x/18 people succeeded x days/total days instead of naming names. 

As of the end of the day yesterday, we have 16/18 people who are 1/1 and 1 whose log I can't access.  We're off to a great start, Manatees.  Keep up the good work!!  (Yeah, I know it's only 1 day but still noteworthy.)

2015-01-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by laffinrock

Welcome back, Kate!!  Glad to have you back.  Wanna get in on the challenge (see rules on p. 1)?  You're already be 1/1 since you did your run yesterday. 

Speaking of the SMMMMC ("Smack"?  "Smooch"?  "Schmuck"?), I think it should be a positive thing, not an way to shame people if they miss a day.  We currently have 18 people participating, so I'll be reporting as x/18 people succeeded x days/total days instead of naming names. 

As of the end of the day yesterday, we have 16/18 people who are 1/1 and 1 whose log I can't access.  We're off to a great start, Manatees.  Keep up the good work!!  (Yeah, I know it's only 1 day but still noteworthy.)

Thanks Mary for coordinating this.  I really appreciate it.  These have been a great motivational tool for me to get my work done.

2015-01-02 12:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by laffinrock

I'm just excited that I'm 2/2 at this point in the game. Last year at this time I was waiting on an appt (took 2 weeks to get in) with an exercise physio and unable to do anything because of some weird calf thing that turned into a knee thing that turned into a hamstring thing that took a good 6 months to straighten out.

Alas, my 2 1/2 weeks of vacation ends on Monday.

Edited by glfprncs 2015-01-02 12:15 PM
2015-01-02 12:15 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by kgore

*Knock knock* Can I come back to play?

Hiya Manatees, old and new! I fell off of triathlons and of BT last year, but I am back now and intend to stick around a lot more--I just updated my race calendar for 2015--anywhere from 17 to 19 events, depending on work schedule permitting. One of those will be my first 70.3!  and I will do a marathon once again--this time aiming for a finish time of less than 6 hours! I also plan on running at least 2015 miles this year. 

For an intro:

My name is Kate, aka. Katifrog, I am a zookeeper specializing in reptiles and amphibians, married, no kids, but plenty of pets--furred and non. I do all sorts of racing--running, triathlon, and obstacle courses. I am not terribly fast, but I always have a good time. 

I also do other stuff--cross stitching, reading, martial arts, and I have a weird tendency to create costumes--generally of animals...around October...so far I have created a Crocodile, an Otter, a Wolverine, and a Black and White Ruffed Lemur (for a coworker's toddler) among others...

For the coming year, I really want to become more than just a racing person who completes the races--this year I wanna compete! So I intend to really...okay, ACTUALLY train...I have a nasty habit of NOT training and just doing the races....So this year I will train.

That's all I got for now...

Oh yeah--I started off my year right--a nice little 2 mile run today...

That is so cool that you are a zookeeper.  My daughter got her degree in zoology and a masters in animal behavior with the goal of being a zookeeper.  Alas, it didn't quite work out that way.  She is currently a vet tech at a clinic.  She still dreams of being a zookeeper though. 

2015-01-02 1:18 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm just excited that I'm 2/2 at this point in the game. Last year at this time I was waiting on an appt (took 2 weeks to get in) with an exercise physio and unable to do anything because of some weird calf thing that turned into a knee thing that turned into a hamstring thing that took a good 6 months to straighten out. Alas, my 2 1/2 weeks of vacation ends on Monday.

Boo for vacation ending!!  I've had two 4-day weekends in a row and next week is going to be brutal.

Glad you got the calf/knee/hamstring thing straightened out.  At this time last year, I was looking at a spinal fusion and feeling pretty hopeless (as in feeling suicidal hopeless).  Having hope is a wonderful thing, and what a difference a year makes, huh?!

2015-01-02 1:27 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Monica...good luck on the pups. Rescue is my favorite breed (I have 3!), though mine prefer to be called "Multi-cultural canine Americans."

OMG I almost fell over laughing!!!

Monica good luck with your puppies! YAY DOGGIES!!!

I'm off for a weekend in VT.

I fully expect to come home to another 15 pages of chatter!

Have a good weekend!
2015-01-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

I decided to clean out my attic a bit and have been going through a bunch of boxes.  I found some surprising stuff, like that I did a 10 mi. ride (on my Schwinn Varsity 10-speed, which I thought was the bomb) when I was 10 and that I ran several sub-6:15 1600m races in high school.  I remember being active but not that much or doing that well.  Kind of fun (painful?!) to look at old yearbooks too.  OMG, the hair and the glasses.    Feels good to purge too.  Anybody want a pair of little white drum major boots with tassles?

Edited by laffinrock 2015-01-02 1:37 PM

2015-01-02 2:05 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Proof of life post.     Need to catch up.....

2015-01-02 3:01 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

As I mentioned in my intro post, I am pretty new to triathlon but have a couple events lined up this year. My biggest is the Ironman in the fall. I'm doing an Olympic in May, which I signed up for purely for the experience, but I'm getting excited for that as well. I've been planning on doing a HIM this summer/early fall in Arizona and I'm leaning towards the Mountain Man Half Iron in August.

Any thoughts or advice on choosing a half or conversely not doing a half at all? I want to make sure I'm prepared but also don't want to push too hard and injure myself before the big day.

Thanks!
2015-01-02 3:18 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Heya, Michael!!  Good to see you again!!  Good luck catching up.

Alrighty, we now have 2 Michaels.  Hereafter, ya'll be Michael AL (madmathmagician) and Michael KY (havoc) so we can tell you apart.

2015-01-02 3:26 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

January 3-4
Adrienne - 25K Tiger Mountain Loop on Saturday

Disabled List
Mary - knee

January 4 is Kirsten's birthday.  Happy birthday Kirsten!

2015-01-02 3:26 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Monica, puppy power! I hope that it all works out for you (and them)!

2015-01-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I was wondering where you'd gone to.
Something I've been meaning to ask is, what is your avatar of?
I feel I should know, but don't.
Good to have you back.
2015-01-02 3:44 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

January 3-4

Disabled List
Mary - knee

Welllll, look I eat that DL list, heal up Mary, don't push the runs

Go Salty, be shpeeeeedy, as always.
2015-01-02 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Racing Manatees!

January 3-4

Disabled List
Mary - knee

Dang Adrienne is so fast that she beat me to the first race of the year!  Good luck!

2015-01-02 3:48 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by msteiner

Racing Manatees!

January 3-4

Disabled List
Mary - knee

Dang Adrienne is so fast that she beat me to the first race of the year!  Good luck!

hahaha!  I think that Matt MS fits in just fine here :-)

2015-01-02 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

January 3-4

Disabled List
Mary - knee

Go Salty!!

Heal Mary!!

Great to see such a short DL!

2015-01-02 3:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm back from my week long trip to the NC mountains.    What a difference a few states make.  Yesterday it was barely 30* at the start of the 5k.  When I got home today, it was 80*!!

2015-01-02 3:56 PM
in reply to: Neil65

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Neil65

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by Neil65

Another icy morning here in the UK, went to the gym at 7am and worked on my back, lots of stretching and work with the swiss ball, eased it. Right latte and a cake time as I wind down 2014, been a mixed year, and blast into 2015 which will see me hit 50 and have a mid life crisis and complete my first 70.3! x

Hi Neil.
What part of England are you from?
Which 70.3 are you lined up for?

Hi mate, I live in Hull and am doing the new 70.3 at Stafford in June, one of the 'lucky' ones who managed to enter. Good to meet you, how's Wales?

Sorry, I missed your reply 1st time round.
Nice part to live in, for England that is :P
I'm up t'North at moment, loading at Leeds to go back to Wales.

You were lucky to get in that Him Stafford. I notice that even the charity places have gone. Should be a nice race. I still want to do Wimbleball, maybe next year. This year is possibly Lava Tri HIM in Fishguard and IM Wales in September.

Are you on any of the UK forums? Tritalk? Triathletes World? Pirates Ship of Fools?
Hope you hang around here, it can be lonely being the only Brit and would be good to have UK support,even if you are a pesky English person
It is definitely worth hanging around here. The people in this group are truly beautiful people, although slightly unhinged
2015-01-02 3:56 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

January 3-4

Disabled List
Mary - knee

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Salty!!!

Happy birthday, KirstIron!!

Sorry to create a DL.  At least we don't have more DL'ers than racers.  Glad to see that Hands and Janyne's shoulders are better enough to keep them off the list!!

2015-01-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I was wondering where you'd gone to. Something I've been meaning to ask is, what is your avatar of? I feel I should know, but don't. Good to have you back.

Dr. Doom.    Couldn't find a suitable picture or gif of Dr. Faustus....

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55375 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.