BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-11 2:05 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN

Originally posted by amd723

Kirsten,

thank you!  as i dont even know what a source code is, i never would have figured this out!  dont know why i copied it without issue last year, but there you go!

You're welcome.  I don't really either know what it is, kinda stumbled on it by my usual method of fixin' things--click on stuff until you find something you have never seen before and try it out...I had no problems cutting and pasting last year too, so suspect it is something to do with the new BT.

2014-01-11 2:05 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master

Had a cold start to our relay this morning...37 or so. Because we couldn't get a second sitter, we planned for me to do three laps in a row and then head home for a few hours before heading back for one or two more. With kids at the moment and getting phone updates from J.

I made J take the starting lap with all the crazy crowding in the predawn light, plus it was a run to bike start.. It was the right call based on what he said happened to riders around him...guess one guy flipped off a downhill section and barely missed a boulder  Since we didn't get to do pre-ride on Wednesday, my first lap was just figuring out the course; second lap was maneuvering around people; third lap hurt. I'm feeling those 21mi, but also hoping the guys don't go too slowly so I can ride again.  lol 

Aside from one guy who slammed into me as he ran his bike past me in a tunnel, people were very polite and encouraging...even when stuck behind me on single track sections. I tried to move right for one guy but there was no room. I said Sorry! (hahaha, Kirsten). He laughed and said Don't worry about it. We're almost to the finish. You can pull me in.

Happy Weekend!

2014-01-11 2:26 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by amd723
Are you coming down to ride our "hills"?

Ya! I love Clermont. Good riding. Nice running and a beautiful pool at the NTC.
Some good hills (Sugarloaf) and the Van Fleet trail for TTing for miles and miles.

Easy flights from Montreal to Orlando. But I have always been in April so wasn't sure what to expect
2014-01-11 10:18 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Noosa

Hope your all having a good weekend, we're in mid-Summer here so it's HOT!

Went out with the tri club for a bike ride today, I rarely do this because I like to stick to my own pace, HR etc but thought maybe I should be more sociable. Anyway all went well for the first 60km and then I just lost all the strength going up a hill and just couldn't get it back. After 10 agonizing km's I told them to go on and I stopped at a cafe for a rest. Luckily I met some friends there so I ate and got a coffee then rode the last 12 km home with them. I think it was a combination of the heat (31 c), no sports drink and lack of recent rides over 60km. Not much fun....

2014-01-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

NAME: Mark Loken

STORY: I am a 46 year old male who has been doing triathlons six years. Everyone thinks this is my mid-life crisis and they are probably right. Triathlon fits my personality very well, especially long and iron course. I tend to operate alone and the long solo hours on the bike and running are perfect for me. It also gives me a great outlet to ride in groups and socialize. It is the perfect sport for me! Historically, I have been a runner but in my 30s, I stopped running consistently. Kids, career, etc. Typical excuses. ?

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for twenty years and have two daughters ages 12 and 15.   No pets as we have a lot of allergies.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been focusing on running and my nutrition. For the last three months. I have been biking occasionally and need to get into the pool. My weekly running mileage is good and really want to focus on some speed work. I am slow and want to fix that. I figured that having a good running base through year-end would pay dividends when my heavy Ironman training begins.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I am signed up for IM Racine 70.3, IMWI, and IMAZ. I have focused on an Ironman every other year and completed IMWI in 2010, and IMAZ in 2012. That was my plan this year until I somehow managed to register for IMAZ online. Wasn’t planning that but lucked out and my wife gave me the “thumbs up.” So excited to race in the desert again!

2013 RACES/EVENTS: Largely didn’t race. I did two running races and one team triathlon. 2013 was rough year professionally.

BODY COMPOSITION: I am on my fourth month of switching up nutrition plans. I have been reading Ben Greenfield and Maria Emmerich. I have managed to greatly reduce my carb intake, and very little sugar. I have been focusing on healthy fats and protein. Feeling very good although the last two weeks have not been the best eating choices. I need to get back to tracking my food intake. My start weight was 235 and yesterday it was 210. I would like to get down to the 185 range by June. Also working with a Nutritionist and getting some really good eating tips.  

All in all, that is me. I am looking to contribute where I can and support everyone in the group. I am also looking for some of you to kick my if I slip on training and or with my nutrition. Feel free to look at my blogs and thanks for letting me in your group.

2014-01-12 9:12 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Originally posted by Buckshot

NAME: Mark Loken

STORY: I am a 46 year old male who has been doing triathlons six years. Everyone thinks this is my mid-life crisis and they are probably right. Triathlon fits my personality very well, especially long and iron course. I tend to operate alone and the long solo hours on the bike and running are perfect for me. It also gives me a great outlet to ride in groups and socialize. It is the perfect sport for me! Historically, I have been a runner but in my 30s, I stopped running consistently. Kids, career, etc. Typical excuses. ?

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for twenty years and have two daughters ages 12 and 15.   No pets as we have a lot of allergies.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been focusing on running and my nutrition. For the last three months. I have been biking occasionally and need to get into the pool. My weekly running mileage is good and really want to focus on some speed work. I am slow and want to fix that. I figured that having a good running base through year-end would pay dividends when my heavy Ironman training begins.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I am signed up for IM Racine 70.3, IMWI, and IMAZ. I have focused on an Ironman every other year and completed IMWI in 2010, and IMAZ in 2012. That was my plan this year until I somehow managed to register for IMAZ online. Wasn’t planning that but lucked out and my wife gave me the “thumbs up.” So excited to race in the desert again!

2013 RACES/EVENTS: Largely didn’t race. I did two running races and one team triathlon. 2013 was rough year professionally.

BODY COMPOSITION: I am on my fourth month of switching up nutrition plans. I have been reading Ben Greenfield and Maria Emmerich. I have managed to greatly reduce my carb intake, and very little sugar. I have been focusing on healthy fats and protein. Feeling very good although the last two weeks have not been the best eating choices. I need to get back to tracking my food intake. My start weight was 235 and yesterday it was 210. I would like to get down to the 185 range by June. Also working with a Nutritionist and getting some really good eating tips.  

All in all, that is me. I am looking to contribute where I can and support everyone in the group. I am also looking for some of you to kick my if I slip on training and or with my nutrition. Feel free to look at my blogs and thanks for letting me in your group.

Welcome Mark!

-Ashley

2014-01-12 10:40 AM
in reply to: awalden22

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Thanks Ashley, its great to be here!

2014-01-12 12:16 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Welcome Mark and please, pass on those tips to us lot too

Hi to everyone else also.

Logged my 5th run today on Jantastic giving me 100 % for the week. Well done to everyone else who managed to get out there, can't be easy in the weather you've been getting. Don't forget to log your runs before 8am Tuesday GMT. This year you also have two jokers to play if needed, basically a buy that let's you skip a week if your not going to be able to complete all your runs. It's meant to be if you get injured or have something pop up (races/holidays/work) etc.

Any new manatees who want to join in can. Go to www.jantastic.me and sign up. When it gets to the point where you select a team, search for mad manatees.

2014-01-12 12:22 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Here's the 101 on Jantastic for you.

http://www.jantastic.me/rules/
2014-01-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
More confused on the shoe issue than ever.Today I tested out the Trance (my go-to shoe before stress fracture) and the Ghost (what I've been using lately for gym workouts). Ran/walked 1 mile in each of them. Trance mostly felt good, but my calves felt tight. Ghost felt good except for a sore spot on my front right shin. Trance is stability and cushioning; Ghost is neutral.No idea what I should be doing shoe wise.
2014-01-12 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Welcome Mark and please, pass on those tips to us lot too Hi to everyone else also. Logged my 5th run today on Jantastic giving me 100 % for the week. Well done to everyone else who managed to get out there, can't be easy in the weather you've been getting. Don't forget to log your runs before 8am Tuesday GMT. This year you also have two jokers to play if needed, basically a buy that let's you skip a week if your not going to be able to complete all your runs. It's meant to be if you get injured or have something pop up (races/holidays/work) etc. Any new manatees who want to join in can. Go to www.jantastic.me and sign up. When it gets to the point where you select a team, search for mad manatees.

DOOO EEET!!!

2014-01-12 12:27 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Artemis More confused on the shoe issue than ever.Today I tested out the Trance (my go-to shoe before stress fracture) and the Ghost (what I've been using lately for gym workouts). Ran/walked 1 mile in each of them. Trance mostly felt good, but my calves felt tight. Ghost felt good except for a sore spot on my front right shin. Trance is stability and cushioning; Ghost is neutral.No idea what I should be doing shoe wise.

Jen, I think that you are overthinking this. Maybe just rotate the two for now?

2014-01-12 12:31 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Artemis More confused on the shoe issue than ever.Today I tested out the Trance (my go-to shoe before stress fracture) and the Ghost (what I've been using lately for gym workouts). Ran/walked 1 mile in each of them. Trance mostly felt good, but my calves felt tight. Ghost felt good except for a sore spot on my front right shin. Trance is stability and cushioning; Ghost is neutral.No idea what I should be doing shoe wise.

I think I am, too. I also think that I have tight calf muscles, which is just confusing the issue for me. Clearly, I need to work on stretching my calves and hamstrings.I just desperately want to get back to running, but I am paranoid about hurting myself again. That's probably why I am overthinking so much.
2014-01-12 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Artemis

I think I am, too. I also think that I have tight calf muscles, which is just confusing the issue for me. Clearly, I need to work on stretching my calves and hamstrings.I just desperately want to get back to running, but I am paranoid about hurting myself again. That's probably why I am overthinking so much.

That's understandable.

Can you squeeze in a yoga class for the next little bit?  It might help you in two ways: (1) structured time for stretching, (2) learning a few moves that you can do on your own to add to your regular routing.  For example, I learned "thread the needle" in yin yoga and I found it to be a great upper back stretch for me.

2014-01-12 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Have you tried to roller your calf muscles? I use a big foam plus the "marathon stick" when I get tight. Ice bath? Do you think they would tighten up if you speed walk on the treadmill? 

2014-01-12 1:21 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

That's understandable.

Can you squeeze in a yoga class for the next little bit?  It might help you in two ways: (1) structured time for stretching, (2) learning a few moves that you can do on your own to add to your regular routing.  For example, I learned "thread the needle" in yin yoga and I found it to be a great upper back stretch for me.

I'm trying.  I have a few sessions of yoga already paid for, but they changed the times, so it's a bit tricky to get to the one I need.  I need to work on getting up earlier.  I was doing better when I went more regularly.

2014-01-12 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Blasted touchpad double posting.

Edited by Artemis 2014-01-12 1:23 PM
2014-01-12 1:22 PM

User image

Master

That's understandable.

I second Janyne on the shoe rotation. Maybe overthinking shoe choice when other factors may have more impact? And I think yoga has been great for my hips, calves and hammys...but it's hard to find a class to fit schedule with other training. I've been looking at something like this:http://www.yogadownload.com/Utilities/GenericProductDisplay/tabid/110/prodid/308/default.aspx#.UtLknaNlDFo
2014-01-12 1:27 PM

User image

Master

Welcome Mark!

Got my 5/5 for Jantastic done this morning.  Pouring rain, but at least the wind has stopped.

Jen, I hear you on overthinking when coming back from injury.  I was doing the same thing at the beginning of last year after my Achilles issue.  For me, I just had to tell myself that I am cleared to run, so just run.  I built very slowly, and just listened to my body.  I knew I would have some discomfort, but any sharp pain, and I pulled back again.  Hang in there!

2014-01-12 1:45 PM

User image

Master

Janyne, is the list of Manatee Birthdays listed somewhere (I mean besides your amazing weekly lists )?

2014-01-12 5:06 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Well happy Sunday all! We bagged skiing today because the weather blows No matter, not feeling great anyway. BLAH.

Tiana - WELCOME! Is your new ligament carbon fiber? because THAT would be awesome

Kirsten I'm of NO help with new shoes. I can tell you I run Brooks Ghosts and love them And to be careful when making a drop change. That's all I got.

Lana - good job getting out there in the heat!

TJ & Chris - My grandmother lives outside Ft Lauderdale.....a few weeks ago they had a day in the 60s. She called me and said it's cold out but it's ok because "I have my winter jacket with me!" Love Gram!

Adrienne - did you see Anchorman2? The Canadian news team? "Sorry!" LOL A must see!

Erin - Nice job!

David - bummer on the ride - smart though to stop when you did to recover!

Mark - the "mid life crisis" line is mine! LOL well, that's what I tell people!

Darren - I keep forgetting to log my Jantastic runs - keep reminding us please!

Jen - I was in PT to stretch my calves and they FINALLY gave in and once they did - WHEEEE they are SUPER (with maintenance of course). I have this http://www.amazon.com/Medi-Dyne-ProStretch-Unilateral-Stretching-Sy... and really just doing this does a ton for me: Stand facing a wall, put one foot behind the other and just sink straight down and hold for 30 seconds then switch. Sorry I couldn't find a good video of it. Good luck. If I could just figure out how to get my HIPS to follow suit I'd be ok!

ANNNNND I finally pulled the trigger yesterday. I ordered a Speed Concept 7.5. It won't be in until March but that's ok. Between work and the weather I probably won't be able to get it outside before then anyway. HOORAY!!

Back to work tomorrow! BOOOOOOO Heh.

2014-01-12 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bcraht

Janyne, is the list of Manatee Birthdays listed somewhere (I mean besides your amazing weekly lists )?

No but I'll put in the the a Google doc and share it.

2014-01-12 5:53 PM

User image

OK just signed in for Jantastic, I think this will really help my terrible running ability!

Lucky for me I raced Saturday to give me a bonus run, one tonight and I'm on track for the first week at least

Any tips on getting to 10kms would be great hoping to complete first OD in Feb ??????????
2014-01-12 5:56 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by bcraht

No but I'll put in the the a Google doc and share it.

Thank you!

2014-01-12 10:13 PM

User image

Master
I had an 18 miler on the plan, but after a post-race sleeping in morning...and making breakfast (aka waiting for coffee delivery)...and watching Niners win...well, I just made a time goal of three hours. Got in 15 miles. I'm ok with that today
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25841 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38403 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18413 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.