BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by jbwills Here is what the day looks like here at 6am. This is a picture of me crossing the finish line of the HM this past Monday.

I hope that you weren't exceeding the speed limit there!  Wait, you were!  You rule breaker you!

But he's going the other way!

Wrong way and speeding!  Double rule breaking!

I didn't see a one-way sign.  Only single rule breaking.  Good thing there weren't any photo radar controls in the area.  Wait, maybe that's how that picture got taken.  Except there's no rear shot showing his license plate...

That is a two-way section, but it is a 5MPH zone, although almost every other place is a 15MPH speed limit. Thus the real reason I can not ride outside, . I am thankful that the MP's (Military Police) were not out inforcing the speed limit with runners, although occasionally they do get stupid in what they enforce.

2014-05-30 9:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Does anyone on here use TrainerRoad?  I know a guy who's an ambassador who can get me the first month free.  I think it will probably do well in driving good results.  Thoughts?

I use it mainly during the cold weather months.  It's great for having a set workout that can be as challenging or 'easy' as you like or focusing on whatever you want/need to focus on.  Next winter I'd like to try one of their programs that has set rides/week instead of just picking rides willy-nilly.

Edited to add: placement of computer:  I have this lovely rig of a small table, an old-fashioned type wooden crate with my laptop on top.  The glory of this rig is I have the open part of the wooden crate toward me and can sit essentials like tissues (runny nose), water bottle, remote control for TV/Netflix/DVR.  I like having the laptop this close to me so I can read it when doing a workout that has words.  It's positioned enough in front/side of me that I can easily see it as I ride, yet still see the TV straight ahead.

Edited by melbo55 2014-05-30 9:55 AM
2014-05-30 10:03 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
A short 6:30 run before starting return trip. Yes, 6:30 AM! That's 4:30 AZ time. The humidity thing is so strange to me. 83% this morning...but it was sunny! 83% in AZ is 50% above a sure rain shower. :D
2014-05-30 11:06 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by 4agoodlife A short 6:30 run before starting return trip. Yes, 6:30 AM! That's 4:30 AZ time. The humidity thing is so strange to me. 83% this morning...but it was sunny! 83% in AZ is 50% above a sure rain shower. :D

You whinin' about bein' all wet behind the ears again? Good on ya for getting a run in before the long haul.

I have another bright ray of sunshine ... meet Scooter. We're dognapping him for 3 or more months. His humans (see pic) are in Singapore; they've had a preemie with lung problems (common in them) and he'll be in NICU for a few more weeks, then in regular hospital for a couple months. Poor Scootch is dying of boredom here in Jakarta--their household staff are feeding him and are supposed to be walking him on occasion, but his very best buddy with whom he grew up is their 3-year-old (also in Singapore). Yes he gets dressed up, ridden like a horse, tail used as a paintbrush, play-do in the ears, and he just loves her to pieces. Scoot knows me well as I've visited their house often (it's near ours!) and Catherine is a good friend.

He's a super friendly (but not bouncy), very affectionate well-trained dog (as a young pup he was raised in a prison program) and super well socialized and not afraid of loud clangy sounds or voices. He loves playing ball but wound up being actually a little too laid-back to go on as a working or service dog.

This is a win-win for us all.

(161.CathKMe (Copy) (3).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
161.CathKMe (Copy) (3).jpg (99KB - 1 downloads)
2014-05-30 11:10 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by 4agoodlife A short 6:30 run before starting return trip. Yes, 6:30 AM! That's 4:30 AZ time. The humidity thing is so strange to me. 83% this morning...but it was sunny! 83% in AZ is 50% above a sure rain shower. :D

You whinin' about bein' all wet behind the ears again? Good on ya for getting a run in before the long haul.

I have another bright ray of sunshine ... meet Scooter. We're dognapping him for 3 or more months. His humans (see pic) are in Singapore; they've had a preemie with lung problems (common in them) and he'll be in NICU for a few more weeks, then in regular hospital for a couple months. Poor Scootch is dying of boredom here in Jakarta--their household staff are feeding him and are supposed to be walking him on occasion, but his very best buddy with whom he grew up is their 3-year-old (also in Singapore). Yes he gets dressed up, ridden like a horse, tail used as a paintbrush, play-do in the ears, and he just loves her to pieces. Scoot knows me well as I've visited their house often (it's near ours!) and Catherine is a good friend.

He's a super friendly (but not bouncy), very affectionate well-trained dog (as a young pup he was raised in a prison program) and super well socialized and not afraid of loud clangy sounds or voices. He loves playing ball but wound up being actually a little too laid-back to go on as a working or service dog.

Yay!!

2014-05-30 11:28 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Melon Presser

My thoughts on this:

Why is it always the races *I* do ... (I swear there were ostriches on the IM Japan course ... no it was not the brain injury ... maybe)

What could possibly go wrong ...

Possible most creative reason ever for a bad bike split (I had to pedal with it humping my leg ... )

On Hands-Marie's umpteenth hand, is anyone really even surprised that my Ironman would have something like this?

cantstopraffing monkey business

(Monkey Zone Overview (Copy).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Monkey Zone Overview (Copy).jpg (70KB - 7 downloads)

2014-05-30 11:33 AM

User image

Master

YES. I. AM!!! He looks like a sweet pup Since he already knows how to play horse, I think you have plenty of time to teach him to play pony for some kitties. Yep...good use of time.
2014-05-30 11:35 AM

Master
Northern IL

My thoughts on this:

Why is it always the races *I* do ... (I swear there were ostriches on the IM Japan course ... no it was not the brain injury ... maybe)

Possible most creative reason ever for a bad bike split (I had to pedal with it humping my leg ... )

On Hands-Marie's umpteenth hand, is anyone really even surprised that my Ironman would have something like this?

Not at all surprised with this. Actually am a little surprised that this is all there is.

2014-05-30 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

My thoughts on this:

That's hysterical!!!

2014-05-30 11:47 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

My thoughts on this:

Not at all surprised with this. Actually am a little surprised that this is all there is.

That's only as far as she's read. Just wait. :P
2014-05-30 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

May 31-June 1
Matt - Emerson Hospital 5k on Saturday
Yanti - SEAPMasters Inauguration Meet
Monica - Udder Century on Sunday
Tom - Hawk Island Triathlon on Sunday (if he didn't double book himself again!)
Tom - Speedy Feet Wed Night Tri #1 on Wednesday

Disabled list:
Yanti - hand (dog bite) Oops! She's racing!

2014-05-30 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I have another bright ray of sunshine ... meet Scooter. We're dognapping him for 3 or more months. His humans (see pic) are in Singapore; they've had a preemie with lung problems (common in them) and he'll be in NICU for a few more weeks, then in regular hospital for a couple months.

Welcome Scooter!

2014-05-30 12:08 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Racing Manatees!

May 31-June 1

Disabled list:

WOOOT - GO MANATEES!!

Holy crap, I'm finally on the list of people DOING something!   

2014-05-30 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

My thoughts on this:

I like how they tell you TWICE to not feed the monkeys... it's almost as if they mean it or something? 

2014-05-30 12:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

My thoughts on this:

That's only as far as she's read. Just wait. :P

Nope, no excuses.  It says stopping or slowing down is not advised.  So no slowing down.  Oh, and it also says no showing your teeth.  Good luck breathing!  This IS on the bike leg, right, not the run leg?  I'd think having the run leg go through here would be dangerous.  No playing tug-o-war either.  That could *really* slow you down!

This is hilarious!!  Much better than threats of being chased by a goose.

YAY for Scooter!  He looks and sounds like an awesome dog.  I'm expecting to see all sorts of pictures with creative costumes on him.

Edited by laffinrock 2014-05-30 12:11 PM
2014-05-30 12:18 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

YAY!!! Enjoy the time with your buddy! May I suggest you not ride him like a horse though!

"avoid smiling at monkeys!" NO SMILING DAMMIT!
Seriously, this is the best thing I've read all day!!

and on that note - to the monkeys - I mean MANATEES competing this weekend - KICK MONKEY BUTT!!!

(can we change the name of this thread to mad monkeys temporarily? LOL)

2014-05-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Racing Manatees!

May 31-June 1

Disabled list:

WOOOT - GO MANATEES!!

GOOOOO Manatees!!

Okay, Monica, now we get to see the result of all training you've been doing. 

(Is Salty off the DL already??)

2014-05-30 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Swim workout followed by 2 tall glasses of beer and 1/2 a pizza. I'm enjoying vacation from Tri training. Time to get back at it next week tho.
2014-05-30 12:26 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Racing Manatees!

May 31-June 1

Disabled list:

WOOOT - GO MANATEES!!

GOOOOO Manatees!!

Okay, Monica, now we get to see the result of all training you've been doing

Ha!  You just shoooosh!  It's not a race, it's just a way to do a supported ride with a bunch of friends... but we might race the first 18 miles or so, which happens to be the first rest stop.  

2014-05-30 12:27 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Racing Manatees!

May 31-June 1

Disabled list:

GO MANATEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2014-05-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Racing Manatees!

May 31-June 1

Disabled list:

WOOOT - GO MANATEES!!

GOOOOO Manatees!!

Okay, Monica, now we get to see the result of all training you've been doing

Ha!  You just shoooosh!  It's not a race, it's just a way to do a supported ride with a bunch of friends... but we might race the first 18 miles or so, which happens to be the first rest stop.  

yeah, was going to say, it's not actually a race, but that was this weekend? Which distance are you going for?

2014-05-30 12:31 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jbwills

Originally posted by jbwills Here is what the day looks like here at 6am. This is a picture of me crossing the finish line of the HM this past Monday.

I hope that you weren't exceeding the speed limit there!  Wait, you were!  You rule breaker you!

I didn't see a one-way sign.  Only single rule breaking.  Good thing there weren't any photo radar controls in the area.  Wait, maybe that's how that picture got taken.  Except there's no rear shot showing his license plate...

That is a two-way section, but it is a 5MPH zone, although almost every other place is a 15MPH speed limit. Thus the real reason I can not ride outside, . I am thankful that the MP's (Military Police) were not out inforcing the speed limit with runners, although occasionally they do get stupid in what they enforce.

This was the Road ID quiz today. Ha!

(road id.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
road id.PNG (152KB - 3 downloads)
2014-05-30 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

May 31-June 1

Disabled list:

WOOOT - GO MANATEES!!

GOOOOO Manatees!!

Okay, Monica, now we get to see the result of all training you've been doing. 

Salty posted a picture of herself on Twitter going pretty hard on the bike. Yay Salty!!!!!!!

GOOOOOO RACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-05-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by JJ- Swim workout followed by 2 tall glasses of beer and 1/2 a pizza. I'm enjoying vacation from Tri training. Time to get back at it next week tho.

Yum!!  From your training log, looks like recovery is going well.  Enjoying the time off or still feeling like your brain is melted?

2014-05-30 12:44 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jbwills

This was the Road ID quiz today. Ha!

They're ticketing cyclists here for not stopping at stop signs.  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=516153&posts=3&page=1.  Granted, that's in an area notorious for grumpiness about cyclists; somebody threw a bunch of tacks on the road last year and people who live there always complain having to share the road, noise from riders out early in the morning, and people taking nature breaks in front yards.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.