BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-03 7:57 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Just got back from marking the 25 mile BikeMS route. I can't ride it this year because it's Sunday - same day as my HIM but I always mark the route. There's just something fun about going for a ride with 6 cans of spray paint and legally writing on the pavement all around town! And yes, it's paint, not chalk. It lasts until the following year!

Awesome way to be involved. Too bad it's paint though..hmmmm

2015-06-03 9:11 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Jet Black Wow, some awesome pics Adrienne and Erin! Sorry you're sick though Adrienne and sorry about the scare with your baby Erin! Just registered for my first masters swim meet. Going to do 50 free, 50 fly, 50 breast, 100 free & 100 breast. Should be fun.

Awesome!  Really curious to hear how it goes.  Seems like a really cool addition to the racing menu (at least if you're a swimmer - I admit that I'd be embarrassed doing my big, sloppy, slow, open turns at something like that!!). 

When's the meet?  Doing any specific training for it?

Oh, and I was actually wondering the same thing as your comment on the fur-aero penalty.  I've actually asked that in the past and been poo-pooed as a crackpot (true enough, but perhaps for other reasons).  All I know is that Andy Potts - who didn't shave his legs for years as he didn't believe in any advantage on the bike - was wearing one of those tops (M2 maybe) on the bike to cover his arms/shoulders.

If covering them with some slick fabric works, I'd have to think that taping a bunch of brillo pads on one's shoulders before a ride would have the opposite effect...   

Anyone have any thoughts on that (seriously - the top vs. no top vs. fur for aero)?  I imagine it's slight, as are all of these, but I wonder if it's of a similar magnitude to the gains of one of those bike tops?

Matt

No specific training. I'm sure they'll work on turns the week before in practice, but I'll miss it as I'll be on vacation. I've read over on slowtwitch about the sleeved tops and apparently the shoulders and upper arms make the biggest difference. A full sleeve is faster than one to the elbow, but you get the biggest gains by just covering down to the elbow. And that discussion was just about the fabric being faster than skin, not hair. I really think you'd see a huge difference by wearing a sleeved (to the elbows) on the bike. I've got a castelli T1 that's supposedly 1.5 minutes faster on HIM distance & 3 minutes faster on IM distance. I'd bet you could double those numbers with the amount of hair you'd be covering.

I raced last year in a Pearl Izumi Octane and loved it.  Not sure if it made me faster, but It made me feel pro:

Something to note with these is they have to fit really, really well. If there are some wrinkles or looseness then you're really no better off. McMatt may need to consider shaving anyway because of that. 

2015-06-04 8:15 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jet Black Wow, some awesome pics Adrienne and Erin! Sorry you're sick though Adrienne and sorry about the scare with your baby Erin! Just registered for my first masters swim meet. Going to do 50 free, 50 fly, 50 breast, 100 free & 100 breast. Should be fun.

Awesome!  Really curious to hear how it goes.  Seems like a really cool addition to the racing menu (at least if you're a swimmer - I admit that I'd be embarrassed doing my big, sloppy, slow, open turns at something like that!!). 

Oh, and I was actually wondering the same thing as your comment on the fur-aero penalty.  I've actually asked that in the past and been poo-pooed as a crackpot (true enough, but perhaps for other reasons).  All I know is that Andy Potts - who didn't shave his legs for years as he didn't believe in any advantage on the bike - was wearing one of those tops (M2 maybe) on the bike to cover his arms/shoulders.

If covering them with some slick fabric works, I'd have to think that taping a bunch of brillo pads on one's shoulders before a ride would have the opposite effect...   

Anyone have any thoughts on that (seriously - the top vs. no top vs. fur for aero)?  I imagine it's slight, as are all of these, but I wonder if it's of a similar magnitude to the gains of one of those bike tops?

Matt

No specific training. I'm sure they'll work on turns the week before in practice, but I'll miss it as I'll be on vacation. I've read over on slowtwitch about the sleeved tops and apparently the shoulders and upper arms make the biggest difference. A full sleeve is faster than one to the elbow, but you get the biggest gains by just covering down to the elbow. And that discussion was just about the fabric being faster than skin, not hair. I really think you'd see a huge difference by wearing a sleeved (to the elbows) on the bike. I've got a castelli T1 that's supposedly 1.5 minutes faster on HIM distance & 3 minutes faster on IM distance. I'd bet you could double those numbers with the amount of hair you'd be covering.

I raced last year in a Pearl Izumi Octane and loved it.  Not sure if it made me faster, but It made me feel pro:

Something to note with these is they have to fit really, really well. If there are some wrinkles or looseness then you're really no better off. McMatt may need to consider shaving anyway because of that. 

And they can be very hard to put on, especially when you're wet. Best break out the clippers and razor Matt!
2015-06-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by brigby1

Matt

Yeah in hindsight I would have been better off with a small instead of a medium.  In my current racing kit I wear a small jersey and medium shorts to have a better fit.  Still looked pro!

2015-06-04 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Update on Fin.

Hips are deteriorating. Increasing physiotherapy and hydrotherapy for another 6 weeks before a decision over whether or not he goes into a cast for three years. No mention of operation as of yet.
2015-06-04 10:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Matt

That's one sharp kit!

2015-06-04 10:11 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Just got back from marking the 25 mile BikeMS route. I can't ride it this year because it's Sunday - same day as my HIM but I always mark the route. There's just something fun about going for a ride with 6 cans of spray paint and legally writing on the pavement all around town! And yes, it's paint, not chalk. It lasts until the following year!

Get your graffiti on!    There are quite a few bike rides in my area that use paint on the roads and the markers remain from year to year, making it super easy to follow, if you know what markings mean what distance.  Most rides have 3-5 different distance options.

2015-06-04 10:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Update on Fin. Hips are deteriorating. Increasing physiotherapy and hydrotherapy for another 6 weeks before a decision over whether or not he goes into a cast for three years. No mention of operation as of yet.

Best wishes for the dear little soul.  3 years of leg casts?  Oooh, rough on him and on you.  Here's hoping therapy can improve his hips.

Edited by melbo55 2015-06-04 10:14 AM
2015-06-04 10:39 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Update on Fin.

Hips are deteriorating. Increasing physiotherapy and hydrotherapy for another 6 weeks before a decision over whether or not he goes into a cast for three years. No mention of operation as of yet.

Very sorry to hear Darren. I pray that the physiotherapy and hydrotherapy will be successful and Fin can avoid 3 years of cast.
2015-06-04 10:40 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Update on Fin. Hips are deteriorating. Increasing physiotherapy and hydrotherapy for another 6 weeks before a decision over whether or not he goes into a cast for three years. No mention of operation as of yet.

Like Melanie said, 3 years in a cast sounds AWFUL!!  Not sure whether that or the operation is worse.  At least with an operation, it hopefully wouldn't take 3 years to resolve.  Sending lots of positive thoughts to you, your little one, and the rest of the family as you got through all this tough stuff.

2015-06-04 11:12 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Orlando

Very sorry to hear Darren. I pray that the physiotherapy and hydrotherapy will be successful and Fin can avoid 3 years of cast.

Yes, me too!

2015-06-04 12:36 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Randee - It's so awesom that you marked the route!  :-D   Gotta love a well marked route!

Darren - I'm sorry to hear that Fin's condition is worsening.  Hopefully added PT and hhydrotherapy will help.  {{hugs}}

2015-06-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

With all the discussion of fur this week, I'm reminded of the chest waxing scene in The 40-Year Old Virgin.  I heard an interview with Steve Carroll, who said they did that scene without stunts--he really did get his chest waxed.  Might not hurt so much on arms/shoulders/back, but still...yikes!!

I don't shave my legs because you can't even tell whether I do or not and DH doesn't care.  I do get a bit of a giggle out of the feeling of the wind in my leg hair every Spring when I get my bike back out on the road.

2015-06-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Like Melanie said, 3 years in a cast sounds AWFUL!!  Not sure whether that or the operation is worse.  At least with an operation, it hopefully wouldn't take 3 years to resolve.  Sending lots of positive thoughts to you, your little one, and the rest of the family as you got through all this tough stuff.

Gosh yeah, I second this. Keep us updated!

2015-06-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by melbo55

Get your graffiti on!    There are quite a few bike rides in my area that use paint on the roads and the markers remain from year to year, making it super easy to follow, if you know what markings mean what distance.  Most rides have 3-5 different distance options.

right? I use them all year 'round when I want to go out for a long ride!

Darren I'm so sorry he's having a tough time of it! Sending healing vibes and good thoughts!
2015-06-04 3:34 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by melbo55

right? I use them all year 'round when I want to go out for a long ride! Darren I'm so sorry he's having a tough time of it! Sending healing vibes and good thoughts!

I can only imagine the temptation to re-mark them as they start to fade. 

2015-06-04 3:46 PM

User image

Master

Ugh, Darren, I hope the increase in PT helps!  Hang in there, I am sure this is really tough on you and momma as well as the little man.

2015-06-04 5:44 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, CO

Helllooooo (hellloooo, hellllooo, helllooo)??  Sure is quiet in here today...

2015-06-04 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Update on Fin.

Im very sorry to hear this Darren, I'm praying for a good outcome from the physio and hydrotherapy.

If you are willing to look into some additional supplements that won't hurt Finn, might be of some help and won't cost a great deal then I would strongly suggest calcium phosphate as it is great for helping with the formation and strengthening of bones and silica is good for the strengthening of connective tissues like tendons and ligaments. These are both basic minerals that we should have in our body but we are generally now lacking because they are so depleted in our soils and therefore no longer in our foods. Maybe see if you can track down a mineral therapist.

If you are interested PM me and I will give you some more details.
2015-06-04 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by laffinrock

Helllooooo (hellloooo, hellllooo, helllooo)??  Sure is quiet in here today...

you're right Mary normally I wake up to pages of Manatee chatter, but not today everyone must be working.

Bike update. So I took the Manatee advice and didn't go with the bike. I have found a couple of places that do Retul fitting and I am going to have that done around August and go from there. My thinking is at this point in the year I'll have some choices between 2015 and 2016 models and I might even be able to get something at a decent price as they try to quit stock, or even better yet in a decent colour depending on what the 2016 colours are (cause you know that is as important as fit )
2015-06-05 12:35 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Today was a cluster.

Pretty sure one of the dogs ate $100.

2015-06-05 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Sorry, man.  That sounds awful.  

2015-06-05 8:56 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Today was a cluster.

Pretty sure one of the dogs ate $100.

so who gets to check the poo for that then?
Oh hang on you guys have paper notes not polyurethane don't you so maybe it won't survive it's trip.
2015-06-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Happy National Doughnut Day!!

Image result for doughnut

2015-06-05 10:02 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Thanks for all the well wishes for the wee man. Stacey, I'll look into that. Thanks.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68402 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29146 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.