BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-22 6:59 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Janyne. Thank you! I really need to work on my sleep.

Chris what was the weather like on your overnight? I am toying with the idea of a trip next weekend as I will be in western nc. Wont go unless above 25 degrees since my quilt is a 30 degree

2020-01-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by nrpoulin Janyne. Thank you! I really need to work on my sleep. Chris what was the weather like on your overnight? I am toying with the idea of a trip next weekend as I will be in western nc. Wont go unless above 25 degrees since my quilt is a 30 degree

Last week was a little below 60* and was supposed to rain. We never got rain, but it got colder in the morning.  We are early risers, so we cranked up the fire and were good to go. This weekend should be about 40ish. I think Ann is going to have a rough time, as cold weather beats her up pretty bad. More blankets is key! 

2020-01-22 9:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by nrpoulin Janyne. Thank you! I really need to work on my sleep. Chris what was the weather like on your overnight? I am toying with the idea of a trip next weekend as I will be in western nc. Wont go unless above 25 degrees since my quilt is a 30 degree

Last week was a little below 60* and was supposed to rain. We never got rain, but it got colder in the morning.  We are early risers, so we cranked up the fire and were good to go. This weekend should be about 40ish. I think Ann is going to have a rough time, as cold weather beats her up pretty bad. More blankets is key! 

So basically, "Florida Cold."

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-22 9:29 AM
2020-01-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Florida Manatees: perhaps you should spend the day with your bike helmets on:

https://imgur.com/a/70bT6jl

Full article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/21/weather/miami-freeze-falling-iguana-forecast-trnd/index.html

(sorry, I can't seem to insert the picture itself)

Edited by melbo55 2020-01-22 9:51 AM
2020-01-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

We are in the midst of our Florida cold! Feels like temp in Orlando this morning was 25*! Brrr!!  

2020-01-22 9:55 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Florida Manatees: perhaps you should spend the day with your bike helmets on:

https://imgur.com/a/70bT6jl

Full article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/21/weather/miami-freeze-falling-iguana-forecast-trnd/index.html

(sorry, I can't seem to insert the picture itself)

Florida is a special place

2020-01-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

I believe the term is "Florida Freezing"

2020-01-22 11:06 AM

Did my first session in The Sufferfest last night. Seeing the timer and having the movement on the screen really kept me going to the end. Not a long ride by any means compared what most of you are doing, but I feel good about the starting point. Definitely a keeper!!!!
2020-01-22 12:22 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by alaskatri Did my first session in The Sufferfest last night. Seeing the timer and having the movement on the screen really kept me going to the end. Not a long ride by any means compared what most of you are doing, but I feel good about the starting point. Definitely a keeper!!!!

That's great!  Anything to keep engaged and not bored is a good thing, keep at it!

2020-01-22 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Did my first session in The Sufferfest last night. Seeing the timer and having the movement on the screen really kept me going to the end. Not a long ride by any means compared what most of you are doing, but I feel good about the starting point. Definitely a keeper!!!!

Nice work!

2020-01-22 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sufferlandrians, who among you have tried the strength and yoga workouts?

Have you found them to be helpful?

Manatees and Future Sufferlandrians, what other online yoga options have you tried?

2020-01-22 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Manatees and Future Sufferlandrians, what other online yoga options have you tried?

Have not done the Sufferfest yoga - did some youtube - Yoga with Adrienne and Yoga with Sarah Beth - were good. 

I now have bought the Beach Body On Demand and a couple of the programs have a yoga session or two that are part of it. I do like the 30 minute session that's a part of 21 Day Fix Extreme... 

2020-01-22 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

While I've been a slacker of late, I like the yoga workouts. They are short and sweet and seem to be effective. Last year's TOS had 1 or 2 strength workouts as part of the tour, so that's the number i've done of those! I had nothing against them, just found it hard to fit into my schedule. I intend to remedy that situation and based upon what I  learned via my Dr Sims course I will be going to the gym to lift heavy sh*t rather than doing the sufferfest workouts. If you are not a 30+ year old female this lift heavy sh*t directive is not relevant to you -at least for the purpose i will be doing it 

2020-01-22 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm glad you enjoyed it! If you haven't already done so check out sufferfest's FB page.

2020-01-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Have not done the Sufferfest yoga - did some youtube - Yoga with Adrienne and Yoga with Sarah Beth - were good. 

I now have bought the Beach Body On Demand and a couple of the programs have a yoga session or two that are part of it. I do like the 30 minute session that's a part of 21 Day Fix Extreme... 

I currently use The Sufferfest yoga. I like that it's 15 minutes long so it's easy for me to fit into my day. I can target the areas that I need to with this setup. I also like that the instructor gives good directions and that she gives options to make it easier or more difficult and even says at times to not push to deeply into a pose.  One thing that I like, that others may not, is that it's not super yoga-ish.  What I mean is she'll say "go into downward dog and move your heals to the floor one at at time" rather than "go into down dog and then walk the dog."

Pre-Sufferfest, I used Yoga With Adriene on YouTube. I liked her sessions a lot but I found it difficult to wade through to find what I wanted.  I saved a few -- 15 or so -- to a playlist and that helped some. 

2020-01-22 1:20 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

While I've been a slacker of late, I like the yoga workouts. They are short and sweet and seem to be effective. Last year's TOS had 1 or 2 strength workouts as part of the tour, so that's the number i've done of those! I had nothing against them, just found it hard to fit into my schedule. I intend to remedy that situation and based upon what I  learned via my Dr Sims course I will be going to the gym to lift heavy sh*t rather than doing the sufferfest workouts. If you are not a 30+ year old female this lift heavy sh*t directive is not relevant to you -at least for the purpose i will be doing it 

Are you positive that there are no Manatees in your age group? You gave away your secret!

2020-01-22 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723

Are you positive that there are no Manatees in your age group? You gave away your secret!

haha! I didn't want to call anyone else out, but I'm willing to let people know I'm over 30! 

2020-01-22 2:00 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ann-Marie asked me about Chattanooga 70.3 training in an Inspire. I belatedly realized that I failed to answer her question when I responded to her!  I thought that I would respond here.

I'm currently doing the Endurance Nation OutSeason plan. That ends February 2nd.  

Then I'm doing a long course "prep" program until 12 weeks before Chattanooga.  Apparently, this involves me getting in the pool!  (Note that one week of that is Tour de Sufferlandria. If it's on Apple TV, I'll consider it. If not, well, we'll see.)

Then I long course 12-week plan for the last bit.  I have a question in to Coach P about run focused or bike focused or some other combo.  That would start February 24th.

Of course, all of that is assuming that my runner is functioning as it should.  My hip has improved a whole lot but that was a bit of a setback.  (Note to self, listen to your body!)

2020-01-22 7:51 PM

User image

Expert

I've done some of the Yoga workouts, never any of the strength. I thought they were ok, I've never done a yoga class, so I don't know how it compares.
2020-01-22 7:55 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert

I believe the term is "Florida Freezing"

Did you see the story of the dormant iguanas. I have been laughing all day about the guy who put a bunch of them in his car to bar-b-que. They warmed up inside of his car and went crazy, causing him to crash his car. In my mind I have an image of mini Jurassic going crazy in his car.
2020-01-22 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by alaskatri

Did my first session in The Sufferfest last night. Seeing the timer and having the movement on the screen really kept me going to the end. Not a long ride by any means compared what most of you are doing, but I feel good about the starting point. Definitely a keeper!!!!

Welcome to sufferlandria! I love their workouts. I hope you try the tour.

2020-01-23 9:19 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JBacarella 

Did you see the story of the dormant iguanas. I have been laughing all day about the guy who put a bunch of them in his car to bar-b-que. They warmed up inside of his car and went crazy, causing him to crash his car. In my mind I have an image of mini Jurassic going crazy in his car.

I live near a town that supposedly pays $50 for a dead iguana. They are a non-native nuisance to the area. I thought I should go out and collect them off the sidewalks one morning and submit them for income.

2020-01-23 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Can I come out and play?  I'd like a group to help me hold myself accountable.

NAME:  Mike Flanagan (aka Big Mike or Iron Mike, because I ride Iron Butt endurance motorcycle rides)

STORY:  I am a 61 yr old Marine and retired Federal law enforcement officer.  I spent 23 years walking the dark side, working maximum security penitentiaries.  I completed one tri back in 10/2012, the Blueman.  I got back into training in November, after I retired from my second career, teaching high school science.  I became a T2 diabetic in August and decided it was time for me to put ME first for a change.  Since then I have only missed three scheduled workouts in the last two months and I am absolutely loving the journey.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married to my long-suffering better-half, Cindy, for over 38 years.  We have one daughter and two grandsons (12 and 6).  I don't talk about the USIL.  Cindy keeps two cats; Chloe and Mittens.  I keep one Airedale named Samson.  We also have 19 chickens and 2 ducks roaming around the homestead.

CURRENT TRAINING:  My training log has always been public.  Since I have been seriously sedentary for LONG time I am really only interested in building a good base for my one race and one planned event for 2020.  December was just building every week.  January has been three weeks of Base with one Recovery week scheduled next week.  After that I am going to be using two Base weeks and one Recovery week.  I have read that we older folk need to allow ourselves more recovery time.  My base schedule is Mon AM=short walk, Mon PM=med swim; Tu=long bike; Wed=long swim; Th=long walk; Fri AM=short bike, Fri PM=short swim and Grandpa Duty.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Only one race and one special event.  My youngest brother and I will be doing the Lumberjack Sprint on August 2nd in Duboistown, PA.  Then on Saturday, August 29th I will celebrate my 62nd birthday by biking the entire 62 mile Pine Creek Rail Trail through the PA Grand Canyon and the Pine Creek Gorge.  I will plan a more active season for 2021

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Well, obviously I want to  improve my own health, maybe even get off the diabetic meds.  But most importantly, I want to set a good fitness example for my grandsons and my daughter.  Last I knew, she was over 300, just like me.  I want better for her and believe that I need to set the example.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE:  The last time I was on BT regularly I joined the Tri-ing for Weight Loss group.  I like to think I was fairly active, more so than most.  I am not a lurker.  But I am a great cheerleader and believe in celebrating all the "little" goals we should be setting for ourselves and for each other.

2020-01-23 11:10 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Can I come out and play?  I'd like a group to help me hold myself accountable.

NAME:  Mike Flanagan (aka Big Mike or Iron Mike, because I ride Iron Butt endurance motorcycle rides)

STORY:  I am a 61 yr old Marine and retired Federal law enforcement officer.  I spent 23 years walking the dark side, working maximum security penitentiaries.  I completed one tri back in 10/2012, the Blueman.  I got back into training in November, after I retired from my second career, teaching high school science.  I became a T2 diabetic in August and decided it was time for me to put ME first for a change.  Since then I have only missed three scheduled workouts in the last two months and I am absolutely loving the journey.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married to my long-suffering better-half, Cindy, for over 38 years.  We have one daughter and two grandsons (12 and 6).  I don't talk about the USIL.  Cindy keeps two cats; Chloe and Mittens.  I keep one Airedale named Samson.  We also have 19 chickens and 2 ducks roaming around the homestead.

CURRENT TRAINING:  My training log has always been public.  Since I have been seriously sedentary for LONG time I am really only interested in building a good base for my one race and one planned event for 2020.  December was just building every week.  January has been three weeks of Base with one Recovery week scheduled next week.  After that I am going to be using two Base weeks and one Recovery week.  I have read that we older folk need to allow ourselves more recovery time.  My base schedule is Mon AM=short walk, Mon PM=med swim; Tu=long bike; Wed=long swim; Th=long walk; Fri AM=short bike, Fri PM=short swim and Grandpa Duty.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Only one race and one special event.  My youngest brother and I will be doing the Lumberjack Sprint on August 2nd in Duboistown, PA.  Then on Saturday, August 29th I will celebrate my 62nd birthday by biking the entire 62 mile Pine Creek Rail Trail through the PA Grand Canyon and the Pine Creek Gorge.  I will plan a more active season for 2021

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Well, obviously I want to  improve my own health, maybe even get off the diabetic meds.  But most importantly, I want to set a good fitness example for my grandsons and my daughter.  Last I knew, she was over 300, just like me.  I want better for her and believe that I need to set the example.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE:  The last time I was on BT regularly I joined the Tri-ing for Weight Loss group.  I like to think I was fairly active, more so than most.  I am not a lurker.  But I am a great cheerleader and believe in celebrating all the "little" goals we should be setting for ourselves and for each other.

I would like to vouch for Mike (not that we need to, just adding my 2 cents).  I was with him in the weight loss group he mentioned, plus he's a fellow Pennsylvanian!

2020-01-23 11:33 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

I've got a question for the Manatees. For those of you who are married or in a relationship, does your partner support your training? Is your partner a fellow athlete? 

I ask because I'm finding it difficult lately to find the time to train. It always seems like something urgent needs to be handled and since I get off work first, I end up with being the one to do the errands.

It is just frustrating, as my wife isn't an athlete. She loved the fact that I was a USMS swimmer when we started dating, but it seems like my swimming isn't a priority that she values. 

So I'm just curious how everyone does it and how do your partner's support it. --Tom

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127