BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-08 7:36 PM
in reply to: Donto

Brampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.
Thanks Marc for letting me joining the group late

Name: Pierre

Story: about 5 years ago used to be overweight and heavy smoker.. quit smoking and started going to the gym.. shortly after and 50lbs later started running outside, did my first half marathon in 2011, and did my first duathlon last summer at Guelph1.

Current Training: doing weight lifting 3 days a week, run 5-6 days a week and ride my bike on the trainer 3 days a week...

2011 race: Mississauga Half Marathon
2012 Race : Oakville 10km
2013 Races: Guelph1 duathlon

Weight -loss: About 10 lbs over ideal race weight. Not to worried lots of training coming up

My goal is to improve my cycling power and speed, just finished my first year cycling

2014-01-08 8:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
I did the second workout today. Looks like my 20 min value was 208W.

Here's a link to the ride on Garmin connect: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/426938998

GC estimates my CP as 195 based off of 5 min - 248W and 20min - 208W

Chris

Edited by croyston 2014-01-08 8:06 PM
2014-01-08 9:18 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Name: ReginaPhalange72/Sarah

Story: 30 years old. Just moved to Boulder, CO in August - originally from Upstate NY. Always been active in sports, got into marathons in 2009 and then tris in 2012. Did my first full in 2012 at B2B (great race). Currently a geology Ph.D. student, so I have a nice flexible schedule. Great for training!

Current Training: Coming off my typical lazy "off season" (if you can call it that). Taking this week off of running to hopefully mend a foot problem.

2013 Races: HITS North Country half iron, and IMLP

2014 Races: Woodlands Marathon (currently up in the air due to this foot thing), Boulder 70.3, Boulder Peak Tri, IM Boulder

2014 Goals: Sub 6:15 half IM, Sub-14 IM, and learn how to use power effectively

Weightloss: Currently about 15 pounds from race weight, and making progress every day.

What would make me a good mentee: I really like learning about stuff like this. I find power to be overwhelming, so I'm really excited for this group and thankful Marc didn't mind taking on one more person! Thanks Marc!

Equipment: Quintana Roo CD 0.1 with a PowerTap G3 rear hub and a Garmin Edge 510
2014-01-09 6:10 AM
in reply to: ReginaPhalange72

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome Pierre and Sarah,

I suspect a few members will be testing a little late due to injury so we will be getting them back in the flow. But the sooner you can test the better.

Lots of info in the last few weeks, you may want to browse. The group is mostly doing a 5' and 20' test this week to establish their Critical Power (CP).
The test protocol is on page 11. The sooner you can get them done, the better.

In the early pages there are some links to downloading/installing Golden Cheetah.

For Sarah you can do your test with your powertap and head unit, no need to get everything installed before.

I think Pierre is doing VP so he will need it.
2014-01-09 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by marcag

Here is the file for workout #3 this week.

Later, I will try putting it in Ergdb as well and will let you know when I did

If the file doesn't work for you, let me know, maybe some small kinks to work out

It is important you set your new CP in GC for this workout to be correct, since it works of % of CP.
To set a new CP go int

Tools->Options->Athlete

Select the Power tab
Set a date you want it to be effective from "Say Jan 7 2014", set the CP and press +

Anyone get this file to work in Trainerroad yet? I tried for a little but couldn't get it. Let me know and I'll add it for the team workouts or let me know if you published it and I'll go searching.
2014-01-09 6:51 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Another thing to consider when pacing. If you go out "too easy", there is always the option of extending the 20".

There are advantages to sticking to the standard 20". It's makes for consistency between tests. A lot of tools are "optimized" for 20 minute tests.....a bunch of reasons

But the CP model works with 22, 24, 28...whatever. A coach I worked with actually preferred 30' tests. He felt, and from his athletes data, that it was a better predictor of true CP. He would test with 4' and 30'.

So, if next time you go out easier and are afraid you didn't empty the tank, keep on going

Would love Shane's opinion on this one

This is an excellent point and one I should have made before as part of the beauty of the Critical Power model is that it relies on multiple tests and the actual duration is not critical. Typically I like to approach it with my athletes as a 5:00 and 20:00 but I've used short tests down to 3:00 and long tests up to 30:00.

Shane

2014-01-09 7:05 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Shane would probably know better if there is a 'somewhat accurate" way to calculate maxHR. I measured it once in a ramp test where you basically go up 25 watts every minute until complete exhaustion. I hit 178.

When doing tests like we did for 5', I usually hit 172, 173, maybe 174

My LTHR measured by taking blood was 163. I usually get pretty close to that number by the standard test protocol.

I suspect we may be close, your max may be a few beats higher.

I never worry about maxHR since it is very hard to test and it is not trainable. Instead, if I'm looking at HR with an athlete it will always revolve around LTHR as that is trainable and is usually a good indicator for endurance athletes in racing and training. Instead of worrying about maxHR, if you are following HR you would generally be looking at the following percentages of LTHR:

Threshold - 95-105%
VO2max - >105%

Generally for the long test you would be looking at a HR that is close to 105% of LTHR so if you've not tested LTHR recently and want to check against previous testing, you can divide your averageHR for the last ~10 minutes of the test by 1.05 to get a reasonable estimate.

Shane
2014-01-09 7:06 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Veteran
Maine
Originally posted by JAYCT

If the file doesn't work for you, let me know, maybe some small kinks to work out

It is important you set your new CP in GC for this workout to be correct, since it works of % of CP.
To set a new CP go int

Tools->Options->Athlete

Select the Power tab
Set a date you want it to be effective from "Say Jan 7 2014", set the CP and press +

Anyone get this file to work in Trainerroad yet? I tried for a little but couldn't get it. Let me know and I'll add it for the team workouts or let me know if you published it and I'll go searching.

Give this file a try, it should work. There was some extra whitespace on a couple of lines and a missing space after an '='. Not sure which fixed it but it works now.

Attachments
----------------
BTWK1WO3a.mrc (0KB - 19 downloads)
2014-01-09 7:26 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cdkayak

To set a new CP go int

Tools->Options->Athlete

Select the Power tab

Give this file a try, it should work. There was some extra whitespace on a couple of lines and a missing space after an '='. Not sure which fixed it but it works now.

I will make sure these don't happen in future files. Thanks !
2014-01-09 7:41 AM
in reply to: croyston

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!  Did my 20 minute test today using Sufferfest's Rubber Glove video.  My goal was to average 200W over the 20 minute section (with a stretch goal of holding 205W, as that would put my FTP at 200W using the CP estimator). 

[My internet at home is not working or I'd just post a screen shot of my workout instead of describing it...]  My plan was to start out around 195W for the first 5 minutes, hold around 200W for the next 10 minutes, try to bump it up to 205W for the next 3 minutes, and then give it all I had left for the last for the final 2 minutes.  I held pretty close to that and squeaked in at exactly 200W.

Even more important to me, though, was the fact that I never truly considered bailing on the test.  I was absolutely ready for the pain/torture/suffering to be over, but I never actually thought about quitting early.  That's huge for me as I sometimes deal with not being mentally strong enough.

Anyways, new FTP puts me right at 3.70 W/kg, so that's kind of cool!  Given that I'm not a brand new rider, so huge jumps in power output are not likely, how long would it take to work my way up to 4.0 W/kg (assuming focused efforts)?  Is this something that will take years of work, a year of work, months of work?

2014-01-09 7:49 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I was hoping for test 2 to happen either last night or this morning but I've caught some type of bug. Called in sick for the day will stay in bed try to recover. Hopefully this is a short term bug.

2014-01-09 8:20 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by reecealan I was hoping for test 2 to happen either last night or this morning but I've caught some type of bug. Called in sick for the day will stay in bed try to recover. Hopefully this is a short term bug.

I feel your pain.  Been sick for almost 3 weeks, thought I was on the mend, but regressed the past couple of days.  Desperately want to get my volumes up, but just not in a place to do that at the moment.

2014-01-09 8:29 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by reecealan I was hoping for test 2 to happen either last night or this morning but I've caught some type of bug. Called in sick for the day will stay in bed try to recover. Hopefully this is a short term bug.

I feel your pain.  Been sick for almost 3 weeks, thought I was on the mend, but regressed the past couple of days.  Desperately want to get my volumes up, but just not in a place to do that at the moment.

Oh no, that sucks!  Hope you guys get well soon.  I was dealing with some sickness (cough/cold kind of thing) for a while and I ended up taking some time off to get through it, but it worked out well with my schedule at the time. 

Hope a full day of rest will get you through it, reecealan!

2014-01-09 9:33 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Regular
Spokane

To set a new CP go int

Tools->Options->Athlete

Select the Power tab

Sweet! Thanks for doing that. How do you guys feel about the 20 minute test that Trainerroad has established? I was thinking about following that protocol tomorrow. It's doesn't exactly follow Shane's testing procedures.
2014-01-09 10:06 AM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by littlewj
Originally posted by marcag Here is the file for workout #3 this week. Later, I will try putting it in Ergdb as well and will let you know when I did If the file doesn't work for you, let me know, maybe some small kinks to work out It is important you set your new CP in GC for this workout to be correct, since it works of % of CP. To set a new CP go int Tools->Options->Athlete Select the Power tab Set a date you want it to be effective from "Say Jan 7 2014", set the CP and press +
Sweet! Thanks for doing that. How do you guys feel about the 20 minute test that Trainerroad has established? I was thinking about following that protocol tomorrow. It's doesn't exactly follow Shane's testing procedures.

My quick personal view on it = follow the testing protocol Shane has put forward unless you are using another coach how requires you to test differently.  I trust in Shane for how the testing and program are setup.

2014-01-09 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

To set a new CP go int

Tools->Options->Athlete

Select the Power tab

It is simply a warm up with a 20' test ? Is there a 5' test to go with it ?

Edited by marcag 2014-01-09 10:13 AM

2014-01-09 11:00 AM

User image

Regular
Spokane

To set a new CP go int

Tools->Options->Athlete

Select the Power tab

It is simply a warm up with a 20' test ? Is there a 5' test to go with it ?

I believe there is a 8' minute test that goes along with it. Since I already did Shane's 5' I probably should just follow his 20' protocol now that I think about.
2014-01-09 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did the 20' test. 309w with the Quarq.
It hurt. I hoped to increase after 5' but realized my HR was going up too fast.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/TTYY7U3JIN4AEDFXJGYHCCUIVI

I can honestly say there were moments at 13' where I said "just make it to 15'".
I am pretty sure that if I didn't have this group to report back to I would have bailed. It hurt

I have two sets of numbers, first with the powertap on the back and the second with the Quarq on the crank

PT
5' 325w, 20' 300w CP 291w

Quarq
5' 341w, 20' 309w CP 296w

I am going to go with the PT numbers for this round of training.
2014-01-09 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I believe there is a 8' minute test that goes along with it. Since I already did Shane's 5' I probably should just follow his 20' protocol now that I think about.

Good call. If I am not mistaken they had a 8' test they took a % of. Probably the least accurate protocol..

the 5' and 20' protocol has a lot of science behind it.

Edited by marcag 2014-01-09 11:05 AM
2014-01-09 11:15 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Welcome Pierre and Sarah,

I suspect a few members will be testing a little late due to injury so we will be getting them back in the flow. But the sooner you can test the better.

Lots of info in the last few weeks, you may want to browse. The group is mostly doing a 5' and 20' test this week to establish their Critical Power (CP).
The test protocol is on page 11. The sooner you can get them done, the better.

In the early pages there are some links to downloading/installing Golden Cheetah.

For Sarah you can do your test with your powertap and head unit, no need to get everything installed before.

I think Pierre is doing VP so he will need it.

My PowerTap is currently on its way to me. So as soon as it's here, I'll get set up and do my tests. Can't wait!

I keep seeing links for people's Training Peaks files. How do you share files with Golden Cheetah?
2014-01-09 11:43 AM
in reply to: ReginaPhalange72

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ReginaPhalange72

My PowerTap is currently on its way to me. So as soon as it's here, I'll get set up and do my tests. Can't wait!

I keep seeing links for people's Training Peaks files. How do you share files with Golden Cheetah?

I think I am one of the few on TP
Some share via TrainerRoad which seems like a good option
Some do screen shots of GC and share those.

There is an option in GC to upload to Strava. That may be a good option if we wanted to create a Strava group. I need to experiment

I love Boulder. I spent a lot of time there last year. The North American mecca of triathlon

2014-01-09 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Originally posted by ReginaPhalange72

I think I am one of the few on TP
Some share via TrainerRoad which seems like a good option
Some do screen shots of GC and share those.

There is an option in GC to upload to Strava. That may be a good option if we wanted to create a Strava group. I need to experiment

I love Boulder. I spent a lot of time there last year. The North American mecca of triathlon

I'm interested in the Strava upload also Marq. I tried the other day, nothing happened. I was logged in on Strava and in GC there was a button called "Authorize" When I clicked that nothing happened.
2014-01-09 11:57 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag I did the 20' test. 309w with the Quarq. It hurt. I hoped to increase after 5' but realized my HR was going up too fast. http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/TTYY7U3JIN4AEDFXJGYHCCUIVII can honestly say there were moments at 13' where I said "just make it to 15'". I am pretty sure that if I didn't have this group to report back to I would have bailed. It hurt I have two sets of numbers, first with the powertap on the back and the second with the Quarq on the crank PT 5' 325w, 20' 300w CP 291w Quarq 5' 341w, 20' 309w CP 296w I am going to go with the PT numbers for this round of training.

Great job Marc.  Looks like you dropped a bit in the middle 5min vs the first 10min and then came back again in the final 5min.  Did you feel you went out too aggressively, or did the test go just as planned?  Looks like you were taking a solid shot at 310 watts. 

2014-01-09 12:13 PM

User image

Master
I'm starting to feel more like a Lurker than a participant. I just got back from a cruise to the Bahamas and just completed the 20 min test. Still getting caught up at work but will do the 5 min test when I can. I upload my data here and on TP.
2014-01-09 12:20 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by marcag I did the 20' test. 309w with the Quarq. It hurt. I hoped to increase after 5' but realized my HR was going up too fast. http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/TTYY7U3JIN4AEDFXJGYHCCUIVII can honestly say there were moments at 13' where I said "just make it to 15'". I am pretty sure that if I didn't have this group to report back to I would have bailed. It hurt I have two sets of numbers, first with the powertap on the back and the second with the Quarq on the crank PT 5' 325w, 20' 300w CP 291w Quarq 5' 341w, 20' 309w CP 296w I am going to go with the PT numbers for this round of training.

Great job Marc.  Looks like you dropped a bit in the middle 5min vs the first 10min and then came back again in the final 5min.  Did you feel you went out too aggressively, or did the test go just as planned?  Looks like you were taking a solid shot at 310 watts. 

I went out a little bit too hard and intentionally backed off. I know my HR for these tests and when I start getting 165ish I know the rest is not going to be fun
I could have chased another watt, but heck I figure it will be just that more improvement next time around :-)

I am very happy with it. I have not been biking very hard since Miami 70.3. If anything my effort has been more on the swim so I am very happy with this.

Not happy at what it means for training moving forward but we'll just have to deal with that.

When I started this group my intent was to follow it exactly like everyone else and feel the burn. So far, so good.

Now, get your butt on the bike and test !!!! :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 61422 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.